Time for a whole new swing plan...which one??

Cbdboz

Reaction score
Handicap
20-24
Hi

after many years of frustration with golf, and multiple lessons with different golf pro's... I have too many, and often conflicting, ideas of what I should be doing on the golf swing.

i am looking to go back to basics, and learn a whole new approach from core fundamentals...and stick to the program.....question is.."which one?"

will be be difficult for me to commit to personal tutoring on a regular basis, and probably looking for an online / instructional approach that I can do at my own speed and at times that work etc. (More of a reality based on unsociable work hours rather than a preference :beat-up: )

discovered the Rotary Swing Tour website.....which looked perfect in terms of methodical approach, but on further research then find Stack & Tilt...and the list goes on.

welcome all and any views and advice....just a high handicapper who finally wants to invest the time and energy on building the fundamentals that will get me to a medium handicapper...and the foundation from which to then kick on further in the future...... Rather than just another quick fix.

If you're going to do online or video lessons, I would recommend the PGA Tour Academy Home Edition. The lessons are simple and straight to the point (except for the pivot lesson, I've struggled with that one) and their practice drills and routine will make improve your game. I went from a 21 to an 18 in 2 months and then quit doing the practice and lost my swing and went the other way. The practice schedule is a work of art in itself.

I would suggest that if you struggle with a particular lesson, go and get a pro to look at you and tell him what you're trying to do. You'd be amazed how much you "feel" like you're doing exactly what they say sometimes, but you're not and no amount of video or online lessons are going to help you once you start practicing the wrong thing over and over again.

Hi

after many years of frustration with golf, and multiple lessons with different golf pro's... I have too many, and often conflicting, ideas of what I should be doing on the golf swing.

i am looking to go back to basics, and learn a whole new approach from core fundamentals...and stick to the program.....question is.."which one?"

will be be difficult for me to commit to personal tutoring on a regular basis, and probably looking for an online / instructional approach that I can do at my own speed and at times that work etc. (More of a reality based on unsociable work hours rather than a preference :beat-up: )

discovered the Rotary Swing Tour website.....which looked perfect in terms of methodical approach, but on further research then find Stack & Tilt...and the list goes on.

welcome all and any views and advice....just a high handicapper who finally wants to invest the time and energy on building the fundamentals that will get me to a medium handicapper...and the foundation from which to then kick on further in the future...... Rather than just another quick fix.

I would say do some research to find out which types of swing methods would seem to work best for your current level of golf from past experiences. I would suggest the book "Your Perfect Swing" by Jim Suttie. It has a great section on the fundamentals and then discusses several different type of swings and their power sources. It may help you decide which swing theory/philosophy best suits you.

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys...much appreciated......and have spent a good hour reading through the threads on the PGA tour academy...and love the 8 week blog bullitt!!

the program looks great... One of the downsides however appears to be lack of feedback...which the Rotary Swing Tour seems to provide by sending in vids etc....I guess the other advantage on format would be that I can view on iPad....rather than having to be in from of a DVD player....

any my comparisons out there of this v Rotary??

Last edited:
I can't speak from personal experience, only what I've read and heard from others. I think you might be better off with someone like Dan Carraher as noted above, or going with a program like SwingFix where you can pick your own instructor and get video feedback (if in person lessons aren't your thing). Going that way will, IMHO, let you develop a swing that works for your body type/build/abilities, vs. getting put into a specific type of swing like Rotary or S&T.

Like you, I had far too many conflicting swing thoughts, and even a few lessons with a local pro didn't help too much. Just posting a few vids here and getting some very good feedback/tips has made a difference just in my indoors practice, because those tips were based on what I was already doing, not forcing me into specific positions or movements.

Go check out Dan's YouTube channel, he has a ton of before/after vids of his students along with some great drills you can try out.

I have done both rotary and stack and tilt (5 simple keys) to figure out different swing camps. Both are on opposite ends of the swing spectrum. I would try both and see which fits your physical abilities better. One thing I learned in the process is that the fundamentals are similar but mixing the methods leads to disaster. In the end I was more in the chuck Quintana camp but with a more center pivot. (Not so much load on the right side).

If you're going to do online or video lessons, I would recommend the PGA Tour Academy Home Edition. The lessons are simple and straight to the point (except for the pivot lesson, I've struggled with that one) and their practice drills and routine will make improve your game. I went from a 21 to an 18 in 2 months and then quit doing the practice and lost my swing and went the other way. The practice schedule is a work of art in itself.

I would suggest that if you struggle with a particular lesson, go and get a pro to look at you and tell him what you're trying to do. You'd be amazed how much you "feel" like you're doing exactly what they say sometimes, but you're not and no amount of video or online lessons are going to help you once you start practicing the wrong thing over and over again.

This is the route I'd go as well, it's an easy program to get plugged into and you get instant feedback. The key to success though is practice, if you don't have the ability to put in practice your efforts may lose traction.

I understand your frustration but I think you will be even more frustrated with going rotary or stack n tilt. Both of these swing require a great deal of work. Retraining your brain will be tough and the tendency is to resort back to old habits. I think going back to grip, stance and posture will be a good start.

Indeed Freddie, tons involved with both of those and a very low success rate.

Even with the Tour Academy, you have to put in the time. 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week. And it's not trying to rebuild the entire motion like S&T. As far as basics like grip, posture and alignment it's a great start. The visual feedback that they have you do is beneficial. Things like drawing lines on your glove and your ungloved hand so that your grip is exactly the same and making you practice in a station with 2 alignment rods and using balls as visual markers to where center and one, two or three balls forward of center actually are. What I thought was a good grip from pictures and videos was actually very weak. What I thought was the center of my stance was actually forward of center. This is where I showed the most improvements. The putting, chipping and impact zone lessons and practice routines were foolproof. Once I got to the pivot lesson, I struggled without someone watching me though. It's still something I struggle with even with an instructor right there with me.

But in the end, it's all about the time spent doing things in a methodical method. When I quit putting the time in with focused drills, my game suffered.

It sounds like the PGA Tour academy H.E. Is the way to go then.

I might give the free vids a go on the Rotary Tour first tho..just incase :)

Hi

Ben Hogans 5 Fundamentals. Thats all I can say

Jim Hardy has two very simple to understand methods - the one plane or two plane swing. If you can determine which best fits your natural swing, you simply need to tweak that swing to start hitting pure shots.

Easier said than done, but I'm in the process of changing from a very handsy swing back to the one plane swing that is my natural swing. Ball flight is more consistent, fade is again my natural shot. Draw is available without too much adjustment. A few more rounds and I expect to be shooting 75 again on a regular basis.

Jim Hardy has two very simple to understand methods - the one plane or two plane swing. If you can determine which best fits your natural swing, you simply need to tweak that swing to start hitting pure shots.

I love all the Hardy books. Those books and Hogan's five lessons were some of the first I read along with Leadbetters faults and fixes. Some of the older ball flight teachings are contradicted by what we know today with the D plane and trackman numbers, but the fundamentals are all solid.

Swing changes are complicated. I think for some people having a ton of knowledge of all the why's makes the swing easier. That's what happen for me. But I also think some people will just get overloaded and more confused. I guess that's why they have so many good golf instructors out there.

Like Tadashi70 said, getting back to the basics is always good. No matter what method you buy into the fundamentals are the same. Grip, posture, tempo, turn is the song I sing when I swing.

Another teacher I like is John Jacobs from the UK. He says ball flight will tell you what you need to know. I would think that would help if you were going to be more self taught. I think many, use lessons as a crutch and think they are doing something by taking lessons, but you must practice what you learn and own your swing (buy in to the methods being taught). Another fun book about golf instruction is "The Secret of Golf" edited by George Peper. It is a very interesting look at golf instruction through the years.

Ross Duplessis, in New Mexico, also teaches a very simple swing that I believe would be easy to learn and effective.

Youtube: Duplessis golf. He has an instructional website set up.

Thanks...have opted for PGA tour academy H.E. For fundamentals.

will also explore mechanics of Rotary.

anyone tried "Golf Revolution" Tour Striker online videos??

I'll throw another name out there too, Monte Scheinblum. I did a lesson with Dan Carraher online, and he was fantastic. Clearly knew what he was talking about, etc... I just had a hard time personally intellectualizing what he was telling me to do. The problem wasn't him, it was me. Monte's methods, based on his YouTube videos, have helped me find what I think is my more natual swing. His method of explaining things and showing drills help me to understand the sequencing and concept behind the swing. I'm a huge fan of both teachers, Monte's explanations just clicked in my head a bit better.

I love Monte's videos and posts. Very easy to understand, and he's all about finding what works for the individual, not sticking them into a method.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Back