Tips/Tricks of Gamesmanship in Match Play

I had a great match last night and there was some definite strategy/gamesmanship going both ways.

I noticed early on that he was purposefully always laying up short of me in the fairways so he could approach first and try to apply pressure. I noticed on the range that he was a great short iron player but struggles with the long irons, so I started to hang back to 160 approaches. Sure enough he would lay up to 175. I managed to win a few holes early by taking advantage of this.

Comments about how the wind is picking up, how that water on the left looks pretty damn wet, etc etc.
It was a fun no holds barred match!

In my league experience nothing gets in an average golfers head more than hitting a few long bombs in a row down the middle of the fairway.

(not that I can always do it, but when I do it seems to rattle the folks in league I've played with)

Fairways and Greens...

When I am playing against some one, I get rattled when the drop multiple 15+ footers on me on the front 9... A hot putter is the hardest opponent in my opinion.

I'll admit I don't have much experience in actually match play rounds but lately I've been practicing on the weekends with money games ($1/hole, carryovers for one tie all tie.) been a fun few weeks trying to come back after paring a few holes then a guy sneaks in a birdie to take 4 holes. Changes the game real quick especially knowing you're down a certain amount with only so many holes left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back