Tips/Tricks of Gamesmanship in Match Play

tpluff

I <3 GAWLF
Reaction score
Handicap
Winter
I'm curious to see what cards THPers have up their sleeves (because I know we are not all angels!). Whether it is subliminal in nature or right in the face of the opponent, tell us one of the ways you like to get into the head of your opponent in match play.

Conversely, I'm interested in how you handle someone doing one of the things someone will mention in the thread here.

So have at it!

It isn't really in my nature to play head games with an opponent.

If someone does that to me I try to take it as a compliment - they see me as enough of a threat that they need to resort to this business to beat me. I then use that to motivate myself to attack their strategy by being as steady and consistent as I possibly can: fairways, greens and pars are my best friends.

Last edited:
Interesting. I've been know to play some mind games on the course back in the day. It use to be really easy in high school and college! Not so much anymore, probably due to the age of people I play with now, of course. I don't do it much anymore, for what it's worth. Though, for those who know me, they know I'm not a very tall/big guy. I'm not likely going to scare you if we meet walking down the street in the middle of the night. lol However, when I was/am on top of my game, I play like someone "twice my size" so to speak. I'll never forget getting into this guys head once. Here I am, all 5'7" of me and I'm outdriving this guy who's 6'4". I could see it getting to him by the 4th hole. All I needed to do was just put some pressure on him, small little barbs about being away, asking him what his distance is from his drive to the hole and then after his shot, standing a few yards to his side then "You had 150, right? Thanks." Then start pacing off from his spot to my ball. Before the turn he was swing out of his shoes and spraying it ALL over the course.

#Cookie and War Eagle, feel free to divulge your plans for this Saturday in this thread...haha.

I have never played match play so do not have ways to share. Doubt I would do much of it anyway as I am more concerned with me and playing my game to avoid unforced errors than trying to psych my opponent into making them.

Don't really have any. I try to be supportive unless they are being a smuck!!!

Only when I'm playing with my closest golf buddies that'll you'll hear things like 'Ok, it's exactly the same putt that you missed 2 holes ago'

Here are things I know I actively do when in a singles match play round. If my competitor is slow, I play fast and force him to think faster. If my competitor is fast, I slow down and try to throw off his rhythm. I will concede a few 2'-3' putts early, then make them putt them out on the back 9. If there is an iffy putt, 2 footer for par to halve a hole for example, I won't even look at them or the ball. I will start to fidgit with something when they look at me. Things like that.

Now, if I am in a team match play with THPers, different story. I will be supportive to everybody and be as courteous as possible. THPers deserve the best treatment, competitor or not.

Only when I'm playing with my closest golf buddies that'll you'll hear things like 'Ok, it's exactly the same putt that you missed 2 holes ago'

Should be noted, I believe that is a penalty on your part. If things got real serious, that would lose you a hole.

#Cookie and War Eagle, feel free to divulge your plans for this Saturday in this thread...haha.

I have never played match play so do not have ways to share. Doubt I would do much of it anyway as I am more concerned with me and playing my game to avoid unforced errors than trying to psych my opponent into making them.

Watch and learn.

:angel:

I have some tricks up my sleeve, but all are in good fun. Mostly it will be me capitalizing on an errant shot or poor putt. The best is when I cover up a good shot or putt, oh man they will get an earful.

I don't really have any other than how/when I may give a putt.

If I am playing a match against someone I do not know, I will be pretty courteous, maybe give a couple of putts on the front side that are not quite in gimmie range, that is about it. I will try to cover their good shots, as MikeG stated above, which I find to be the best medicine.

If I am playing against a friend who I know very well, I will give barbs and good natured jabs, all during the course of play. I have one friend who likes to play for something every time out, he is a pretty good golfer, but his mental strength resembles Kleenex. I can get into his head by the second tee box, he is usually a mess the rest of the round. It almost is too easy, so I don't do that to him often. But it is nice to know that I can.

the trick is to play better than the other guy. start playing mind games and in my opinion you're not playing in the gentlemanly spirit of the game. people do it, but i think it's petty. you and i have a match? i'm going to compliment your good shots, i'm going to give you putts i know you're going to make, and i'm going to do my best to have fun. i lack the desire to beat you to a pulp, it's just not in my nature.

Should be noted, I believe that is a penalty on your part. If things got real serious, that would lose you a hole.

If I'm playing some match play fun with friends it would be for some bragging rights not a real tourney environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It isn't really in my nature to play head games with an opponent.

If someone does that to me I try to take it as a compliment - they see me as enough of a threat that they need to resort to this business to beat me. I then use that to motivate myself to attack their strategy by being as steady and consistent as I possibly can: fairways, greens and pars are my best friends.

Agree. Head games don't work unless a player already lacks confidence. I've never tried to mess with anyone that way - I have more respect for the game and for my opponent that to try any bush league tricks. I'd rather let my play do the talking.

If I'm playing some match play fun with friends it would be for some bragging rights not a real tourney environment.

Good thing you aren't playing against me then. I'd call you on it, claim the win on the hole, and probably set you off for the next hole too. That's the only mind game I'd be likely to play. Bragging rights is as good a reason as any to play by the rules.

When I play with friends (which is most of the time), we don't throw the rule book out just because it isn't a tournament. I've too often seen those bad habits from casual rounds accidentally sneak into a round that counts, so I make a habit of playing by the rules all the time. That way I don't have to change gears depending on the type of round I'm playing. Since 99% of my rounds are returned for handicap I want them to reflect how I really played.

Last edited:
Be as mentally strong as possible, not that your competitor might try and play mind games on you, but if you keep your head clear it's much easier to think strategically than emotionally and allow your swing to be fluid and not rigid.

I don't play head games during match play. I want my opponent to play well, and beat them anyway.

And I'm pretty good at blocking out an opponents head games. In fact, they tend to focus and motivate me even more.

I'm curious to see what cards THPers have up their sleeves (because I know we are not all angels!). Whether it is subliminal in nature or right in the face of the opponent, tell us one of the ways you like to get into the head of your opponent in match play.

Conversely, I'm interested in how you handle someone doing one of the things someone will mention in the thread here.

So have at it!

Depends on your opponents personalities, how well you know them etc, but sometimes its fun to talk to your partner just loud enough so your opponents can hear you, with things like "man, that's a tough putt they have," "hope they see how much break there is." etc. They always know you are really talking to them. All in good fun obviously.

Amongst friends, just talk a lot of sh-$. Not so much for gamesmanship as it is for fun but some times it works for that too.

If I don't know the guy, then nothing. Maybe make him putt a close one of its on a side slope or downhill, but otherwise getting in the fairway and making putts is the best rattler.

Although one of these days I'll work up the courage to eat a sandwich in the middle of the match like Cink did at the 2010 RC.

Guys I work with, I'll mess with them and try to get in their head just for fun. No gamesmanship at a THP event though, I just want to compete and have fun.

I just play my game. I'm not much for gaming an opponent, I want them to play their best.

Golf is a very tough game that pits players against the course and elements. That's why I always internally root for my opponent to make a putt or hit a perfect drive. IMO mind games and one-upmansihip in golf is bad sportsmanship.

Good thing you aren't playing against me then. I'd call you on it, claim the win on the hole, and probably set you off for the next hole too. That's the only mind game I'd be likely to play. Bragging rights is as good a reason as any to play by the rules.

When I play with friends (which is most of the time), we don't throw the rule book out just because it isn't a tournament. I've too often seen those bad habits from casual rounds accidentally sneak into a round that counts, so I make a habit of playing by the rules all the time. That way I don't have to change gears depending on the type of round I'm playing. Since 99% of my rounds are returned for handicap I want them to reflect how I really played.

We play the head game enroute to tee box or green, but never on green or tee box, gives some time to clear head and focus, we will show support each other if there's an off game in the midst. Our banter goes without saying just laughing but when we put our heads in the game it's serious. The only real rule we break is the things like 'your coming up short today, might wanna take an extra club'

I don't practice gamesmanship, I trash talk with my friends. If it's official match play I'm too focused on my game to think about my opponent.

Back