To be, or not to be (a putter ho)....that is the question

TrojanMan

Reaction score
Handicap
Alright, stream of consciousness putter thoughts/questions.....

*What is it about putters? If I have a bad day chipping, I don't immediately day dream about other wedges. If I have a round where my tee balls hit the parking lot more than the fairway, I'm thinking about hitting the range, not selling my driver. But why am I always eyeing other putters? (and putting is generally the strongest part of my game, FYI).

*For those of you with sizable putter collections, how many do you actually use frequently? I don't want putters as artwork on the wall, or spiderweb collectors in the garage. If I'm going to buy it, I want to actually use it. But I don't know that swapping putters is going to be good for my game.

*For anyone who has, say, 2 or 3 putters that they cycle through, are they all similar length, toe hang, head weight, grip size, etc.? Or are you making fairly drastic changes when you swap out your gamer?

*I have no complaints about my ER2. It's been in the bag about 4 months, and my putting, on average, has probably been better with this than anything I've ever used. Really what sparked this thread is that I'm contemplating adding another putter to the stable as an alternative. I putt best when I'm not thinking about it at all. Read the green, see my line, hit the putt. But I'm a super Type A personality, so when my putting does get a little off, I start thinking about it and grinding, and that doesn't help. My thought is that if I have 3 or 4 sub-par putting rounds, throw a different putter in the bag and just mentally reset. And then whenever that bad run happens the next time, switch back to the ER2. I generally putt well for a few months at a time, so I'd be swapping a few times a year, at most. Good idea? Bad idea?

*I don't want that to open the floodgates though. Like I said, I don't need 8, 10, 20 putters sitting around the house. I have my ER2 in my bag, and a TM Mullen in my bedroom that I carpet putt with every so often. I don't really want to add one more.......and then start adding a 4th, a 5th, a 6th, etc.

There isnt a club you hit more than your putter so when you are having an off day with it, it really stands out. Plus, I think putters are the most personal club in someones bag. Im someone who loves both mallets and blades so I like to have options

I use to go through putters like balls. But then I got fit to a Betenardi BB1 in Feb 2017 and haven't even thought about changing since then. I can totally see how guys like Tiger Woods and Ian Poulter go back to old, trusty putters.

I'm the 2 putter rotation guy.

Sometimes, I just need a different look to get me back in the flow. All of my putters will have the same toe hang. I won't change that part. I generally prefer a 34" putter but will use a 35" without an issue. Otherwise, I like my second putter to have a completely different look.

My current #1 is an O Works Red 2 Ball Fang S, and my backup is a Versa 1w with the double bend shaft.

My putting is best when I stay with one putter and begin to gain confidence with it

I use to go through putters like balls. But then I got fit to a Betenardi BB1 in Feb 2017 and haven't even thought about changing since then. I can totally see how guys like Tiger Woods and Ian Poulter go back to old, trusty putters.

I didn't get fit for this specific putter, but I did do a putter fitting at Club Champion right before I bought this. They recommended something that was 34.5" (I typically used 34" before that), something w/ 0-30 degrees of toe hang, standard size grip (nothing huge, and no pencil grips), etc. So I bought a 35" ER2, cut it to 34.5" and put my favored SS GTR 1.0 on there.

The only thing I'm not necessarily sold on from that fitting is the toe hang recommendation. It's a straight, flat, fast carpet putt that's relatively short. It's going to seem like a SBST stroke doing that, no matter what you use (in my opinion). I'm sure on longer putts I have more of an arc.

I've gone through more putters than I even want to think about and it's always been about trying out new things and looking for that "unicorn". I have three putters that will never go anywhere, two of which will typically be thrown in the bag throughout the season to get me back on track. Otherwise it's always been about trying new and shiny things. Unfortunately I've owned some beautiful putters that just didn't work but they were awesome to look at!

I didn't get fit for this specific putter, but I did do a putter fitting at Club Champion right before I bought this. They recommended something that was 34.5" (I typically used 34" before that), something w/ 0-30 degrees of toe hang, standard size grip (nothing huge, and no pencil grips), etc. So I bought a 35" ER2, cut it to 34.5" and put my favored SS GTR 1.0 on there.

The only thing I'm not necessarily sold on from that fitting is the toe hang recommendation. It's a straight, flat, fast carpet putt that's relatively short. It's going to seem like a SBST stroke doing that, no matter what you use (in my opinion). I'm sure on longer putts I have more of an arc.

That there is the only issue with putter fittings. If it doesn't look good to your eye or feel right, then it doesn't matter that the SAM results say. Fortunately for me, the BB1 looks beautiful to me and it was the putter that the SAM lab said best fit my stroke so it was a win-win.

That there is the only issue with putter fittings. If it doesn't look good to your eye or feel right, then it doesn't matter that the SAM results say. Fortunately for me, the BB1 looks beautiful to me and it was the putter that the SAM lab said best fit my stroke so it was a win-win.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love my ER2. I was contemplating a blade as my backup putter because I like the simple look, and I don't overthink anything with a blade. But, most blades are about twice as much toe hang as my ER2, and "too much" toe hang for me, according to the SAM results.

I went to PGA SS at lunch and rolled some putts with a Toulon San Diego.....and missed most of them to the right. I remember doing the same when I had my Ping Voss, and having to consciously aim to the left. I made it work and got pretty good with that Ping, but still, purposely aiming left isn't a good long term solution.

So maybe SAM results DO know what they're talking about, and true blades DO have too much toe hang for me.

I used to cycle through 3 putters: two blades and one mallet. But after going through my Edel fitting, I traded them all in. I'm a one-putter man now (well, for now).

Ha. This made thread made me chuckle because it's the exact same problem I'm facing now. Have an Odyssey O-Works Red 7, and really roll it well. Despite that, went and bought an EVNROLL ER2, and now I'm pondering either a Spider Mini or an Odyssey 1W haha. I agree with PhillyV in that it's the most personal club in the bag. I don't see myself ever owning 20 putters, but I like to tinker, and it's fun for me to try out different putters.

I have a bunch. Everything but double bends, and I like the variety. Sometimes using a different style can help get things back on track, or maybe that’s just me justifying it haha

At one point I had over 50. Now it's down to somewhere between 15 and 25 (not entirely sure where some of them are at the moment.)

In the last 4 years I have pretty much used only one.

I bought a Toulon Indy and added weight to it and I’m not sure I’ll use another putter for a while. I have two blades at home and traded in another blade and a two ball fang when I bought my Rogues. That Indy has a unique style and feel so keeping another in the bag would be odd right now. I love the Odyssey/Toulon brands but I am purposely staying away from the Scotty’s because I don’t want to dive into the putter cover rabbit hole. Those prices are insanity!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is interesting. I'm going to start a new thread about this so as not to hijack this one.

I’ve got 7 putters and each one means something to me. Only game 1 but any of the other 6 could make the bag and not disappoint

I currently have 31. All of them will see the course at least once per season.

My main rotation though right now is two, SeeMore M5x Proto and SC T10 Circle-T, with a third soon to be added in a MySpider. They're rotated almost daily right now, which in summer time means every two to three rounds for me.

My main rotation though right now is two, SeeMore M5x Proto and SC T10 Circle-T, with a third soon to be added in a MySpider. They're rotated almost daily right now, which in summer time means every two to three rounds for me.

I love Jman. He always makes me feel better about my equipment issues Hahahaha :)

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable, some people love to blame the arrow not the Indian.
That being said I once used to "ho" all sorts of clubs, but after I cleared out all my extras/duplicates it made me really refine things with one set. I have played some of the best golf in my life using the same clubs week after week.

I guess based on some of this as I might not be a true putter "ho". But i do flirt with a lot of other putters if mine isn't paying me enough attention on the course and not making anything.

Thanks for helping me not to feel crazy!

I have about 10 sidesaddle putters. Each purchased on the journey to finding the perfect putter for my stroke.

And I think I may have found it with my current Bobby Grace F22.

So much so that I bought an identical "backup".

God help me if I'm going to start buying two of every putter. Maybe I'm crazy after all!

Basically feels like I barely have 1 putter.

Bahaha yup. Then when I buy more it doesn’t feel like it :)

Added another to the stable. That’s two plumbers neck mallets, but they are different shape and insert so it’s ok ?

Back