Tony Finau's bunker shot, backstopping...

Yep, was aware of his Puerto Rico victory. Looking for his first CONUS Victory. Hope he plays the Shriner's Tournament Nov 1-5, I've got tickets and would like to meet him and walk with his group. Hope Zak Johnson plays the Shriner's too. I caddied for Damon Green at the Nike Tournament just outside St. Louis back in 1995, practice round, Pro Am and the 4 days of Tournament play. Would like to say Hi to him too.

I met Tony briefly at last year's Shriner's, I hope he comes back this year. I had my son with me and Tony signed a ball for him and chatted with him for a minute. Super nice guy. He has been playing very well this past year, I would love to see him get a couple of wins.

JpzvtKo.jpg

Totally different scenarios. One is standing on a tee box and one is standing in a green side bunker...

I don’t think it is any different. What are you going to make different rules base in being in the tee, the rough, the second cut, the fringe, the sand.....

If one can aim for and strike a ball, one can certainly aim for and find the cup.

It doesn't have anything to do with aiming for the ball. The fact it is there is making the shot a very small amount easier that someone with the exact shot won't have. Personally I don't care all that much but it for sure is an advantage to have the ball there.

I haven't seen the video. But couldnt he also have hit past the ball and the ball could have stopped it from getting close to the hole? So couldn't it go either way?

I think it's clear that pros play by different rules than the rest of us. If a ball might assist, it is supposed to be lifted. The decisions give a referee the authority to intervene if he thinks a ball that could assist should be lifted and the competitor whose ball is to be lifted is in a position to do so and doesn't. Just need the tour to enforce that. Just like slow play. Which means it won't be enforced.

Yes. They play by the USGA rules while everyone else makes them up on the course.

If a ball “assisting” has to be marked that would make par 3 holes take forever. Hit ball, run up 200 yards and mark. Next person hits does same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes. They play by the USGA rules while everyone else makes them up on the course.

If a ball “assisting” has to be marked that would make par 3 holes take forever. Hit ball, run up 200 yards and mark. Next person hits does same.

Oh for crying out loud.

The rules and decisions address this. It isn't reasonable to mark a ball on a par 3 (or any longer approach shot) without delay, so you don't have to do it. When you're close to the green, you should. Protect the field.

Any suggestion that he intentionally aimed at another ball to stop his is indeed ridiculous. If he were that accurate out of a bunker, wouldn't it make more sense to "stop" his ball with the hole that's 2.5 times larger than a ball?

haha that's just too much common sense :banghead:

Oh for crying out loud.

The rules and decisions address this. It isn't reasonable to mark a ball on a par 3 (or any longer approach shot) without delay, so you don't have to do it. When you're close to the green, you should. Protect the field.

No reason to cry out loud. Just a discussion.

That backstop shot made him a cool $200K. Good for him. Didn't break any rules, either.

While no rules were broken, I think the player has the obligation to protect the field and mark his ball.

Just my .02

While no rules were broken, I think the player has the obligation to protect the field and mark his ball.

Just my .02

Curious why you think this. The rules specifically don't require marking the ball in this situation.

I haven't seen the video. But couldnt he also have hit past the ball and the ball could have stopped it from getting close to the hole? So couldn't it go either way?

The ball was past the hole so if he hit it it was already past the hole, hence could only help. If the ball was in front of the hole he would have had it marked.

Curious why you think this. The rules specifically don't require marking the ball in this situation.
The decisions allow a referee to intervene and require a player to lift a ball that could reasonably assist another player to protect the field. If the other player was close enough to mark his ball without causing a delay, he should have.

The decisions allow a referee to intervene and require a player to lift a ball that could reasonably assist another player to protect the field. If the other player was close enough to mark his ball without causing a delay, he should have.

If I remember the scenario correctly Kokner wasn't close and Finau was ready to hit his ball in the bunker and after the fact, claimed he couldn't even see ball. Should he have waited?

Oh for crying out loud.

You make you playing mates mark there ball after they have chipped onto the green? I can count on one hand how many times I have asked for someone to mark their ball.

You make you playing mates mark there ball after they have chipped onto the green? I can count on one hand how many times I have asked for someone to mark their ball.
If I'm playing in a casual round I couldn't care less. In a competition, if I chip up and someone is about to play and I think my ball could help, you bet I'm marking it.

If I'm playing in a casual round I couldn't care less. In a competition, if I chip up and someone is about to play and I think my ball could help, you bet I'm marking it.

I lay you 10 to 1 that thought never crosses your mind. You would never think your ball could help another player.

I can see that. However, in this situation, was the other guy even on the green yet? In other words, did even have a chance to mark it?

I lay you 10 to 1 that thought never crosses your mind. You would never think your ball could help another player.
I'd gladly take that bet.

I can see that. However, in this situation, was the other guy even on the green yet? In other words, did even have a chance to mark it?
Kokrak was chipping from 30 yards, so we aren't talking anything more than 30 seconds to mark the ball out of the way.

If I remember the scenario correctly Kokner wasn't close and Finau was ready to hit his ball in the bunker and after the fact, claimed he couldn't even see ball. Should he have waited?
If he couldn't see the ball, maybe not. Kokrak could have said hold up I'm gonna mark that. He was 30 yards away. Wouldn't be a delay at all. I would argue that he should have.

I'd gladly take that bet.

You have played in events where you thought, ‘I better mark my ball, it’ll help this guy if I dont’. You knew that rule before it became an issue with TF?

Back