too much socializing on the golf course ?

too much socializing on the golf course ?

• for playing good shots the less talk the better

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • say good shot and that's enough talking

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • while on the golf course it's fun to talk about football, restaurants, movies etc..

Votes: 38 33.6%
  • for me golf is social so the more talking the better

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • quiet or talkative does not matter to me, no preference

Votes: 38 33.6%
  • I like to meet new people and will talk their ears off to get to know them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • me and my buddies are on the course to talk about sports, current events and the golf is secondary

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
To be honest, we (the guys I play with) are there to get out of the house and not be at work. Yes we golf. And we get somewhat competitive (lots of playful trash talk), but the golf is secondary to just all being out together. It's the people, not the sport.

~Rock
I would argue it both in equal measures ) l love sports and played. A few in my time ,,,

Definitely it affects my focus and score. But I'm not playing for any significant amount of money. I'm out there to have fun with friends. I'd rather have a good time and score higher than grind it out in silent focus for a few strokes that don't affect my life at all.

I've played golf with this guy that would stop his routine and tell a joke before his tee shot. He didn't do it every hole but he did it often enough that it wore kind of thin by the end of the round. We didn't fall behind or hold anyone up either, just interrupted the rhythm enough to be a little annoying.

I love to talk to other golfers, but please, walk and talk. Is it that hard to do, as some just stop in their tracks to talk.

no. the only thing that causes any amateur to shoot higher scores is their inability to be consistent.

What 'type' of talk is as effective as amount of talk. A few simple words can be very palatable or really psss you off. A genuine "tough break", or "great shot" can be soothing to hear, but the same words can really irritate me if said inappropriately. Everybody has experienced the 'early praise' when you hit you tee shot and they instantly shout out "great shot", only to watch your ball fade into the woods. *%)$# !

What 'type' of talk is as effective as amount of talk. A few simple words can be very palatable or really psss you off. A genuine "tough break", or "great shot" can be soothing to hear, but the same words can really irritate me if said inappropriately. Everybody has experienced the 'early praise' when you hit you tee shot and they instantly shout out "great shot", only to watch your ball fade into the woods. *%)$# !
This is me. I don't do it maliciously, it's just when I hear a solid "Crack!" of a driver, and the ball shoots away, I always think its a great shot. Since I'm standing to the side, I can't really see any hook/slice develop, and then my friends get irritated at me.

I'm OK either way but it does bug me when a player stands on the tee telling a story. Just hit the ball and tell me while we're walking.

Back