Top of the Bag Club Champion Cobra Fitting

lukemartin93

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
After my wedge fitting, we moved into the driver fitting. Currently I play a 9 degree TS2 with a stiff even flow white shaft. I found this driver on ebay for a great deal and I feel like it has worked out well for me. Going into the fitting, I figured I would be fit into something similar such as the LTDx with a low launch, low spin shaft. Unfortunately the fitting location did not have any of the shafts that Cobra offered to us Morgan Cuppers. I also do not have the fitting data, but will post it when I do.

The fitter had me hit a handful of balls with my gamer and they definitely were not some of my best ones. Anyways, similarly to my irons, my spin was high, however, my launch was a tad bit low. To my surprise, the fitter reached for the 9 degree LTDx LS head. He put a diamana shaft into it and had me take a few swings. Definitely not as forgiving as my TS2, but the spin and distance were much better. I didn’t love the shaft so we tried some others (Fuji Speeder, Tensei 1K were the ones I remember) and eventually I landed on the Ventus TR 5S. It felt the best by far and had the best spin and distance numbers. The LS still wasn’t the most forgiving so the fitter asked if I wanted to try the regular LTDx head, which I said of course. Like we guessed, the spin went up, however the distance remained very similar to the LS and the dispersion was so much better. Since the distance was similar and dispersion was better, we decided the LTDx was the better fit.

The fitter went on to explain that the 3 wood would/should match the driver and recommended a 3 wood LTDx head with a Ventus TR 6S shaft. He asked if I wanted to hit it, and I also said of course. I currently play a TS2 3 wood with a HZRDUS smoke black shaft which has been hit or miss. Holy cow was the LTDx 3 Wood with the Ventus TR a nice combo. Took two swings, hit two straight bombs and felt good about the fit.

Lastly, we went into my hybrid. I currently game a 3H Srixon ZX also with a smoke black shaft. The fitter started me in a King Tec 3 Hybrid with a Ventus TR Shaft. Surprisingly, I did not get along with it as well as the 3 wood and Driver. The fitter moved me into a Motore X HB shaft and it worked much better. The launch was a bit high so the fitter adjusted the head one degree stronger. I asked about the LTDx hybrid and the fitter recommended against saying it would be too high launching. He also stated that the King Tec Hybrid would be the best way to go for the future due to its customizability. I started to get fatigued so we decided it end it there.

We ended the fitting talking about bag composition. I was/am considering replacing my 4i with a hybrid. The fitter thought it could be a good idea and recommended gapping two hybrids “numbers” apart (ie 3 and 5). I also asked about an additional fairway wood and he recommended if I did go for a 5 wood, it would replace the 3 hybrid. I asked if he would recommend that for me and he said it was up to my personal preference.

Overall, I enjoyed my club fitting experience. I was surprised how much changing shafts could effect swing data and performance on so many levels. Would recommend it for just about anyone.

Sounds like a great experience. I myself will be spending some more time at CC. Soon to go in to do some loft and lie work on my current clubs. Want to check out a few shafts that might help with a little added distance with driver

Sounds like a decent fitting with the exception that it blows my mind that a Club Champion doesn't have 3 of the most popular shafts and which are stock offerings from Cobra in the Tensei white or blue, PX iM or PX RDX series? That is really odd to me.

Sounds like a decent fitting with the exception that it blows my mind that a Club Champion doesn't have 3 of the most popular shafts and which are stock offerings from Cobra in the Tensei white or blue, PX iM or PX RDX series? That is really odd to me.
Eh, they’re heavy into aftermarket shafts, they’ve never really carried the stock PX stuff and I believe Tensei is much the same there. It’s not really surprising imo.

Found the same issue a few weeks ago. Went in to test some shafts for irons. Was hoping to hit a few recoil options. Fitter said they don’t carry many of the shafts that are offered as stock options by OEM.

Found the same issue a few weeks ago. Went in to test some shafts for irons. Was hoping to hit a few recoil options. Fitter said they don’t carry many of the shafts that are offered as stock options by OEM.
That’s always been Club Champions way.

I’m confused by something in the thread title and OP. Did you go to Club Champion specifically to look at Cobra products, or did it just turn out that way?

The reason I ask is CC is a brand-agnostic fitter. But of course you as the customer can restrain them to a specific brand or set of brands.

That’s always been Club Champions way.
I guess to hit some of the shafts in recoil line I’ll have to go to Golf Galaxy. Club Champion only had one model of Paderson shaft also.

I’m confused by something in the thread title and OP. Did you go to Club Champion specifically to look at Cobra products, or did it just turn out that way?

The reason I ask is CC is a brand-agnostic fitter. But of course you as the customer can restrain them to a specific brand or set of brands.
Yes I asked them to only do cobra clubs. I won entry to an event THP and Cobra/Puma puts on called the Morgan Cup which includes a full bag of clubs (and much more) and wanted to get fit before I ordered them

That kinda sucks that they didn't have the shafts you'd be most likely getting.
I will say, being lucky to live in Southern California, when I wanted to buy my Cobra clubs I was able to go get fitted at Cobras fitting truck so they had every single offering available.

Sounds like a great session! Too bad they didn’t have the stock shafts for you to try.

What do you think about the hybrid vs fairway wood spot?

Sounds like a great session! Too bad they didn’t have the stock shafts for you to try.

What do you think about the hybrid vs fairway wood spot?
Leaning towards two hybrids and one fairway wood as I’ve typically played better with hybrids than fairway woods in the past. I do know some people really like their 5 woods though… or maybe I go compete 180 and actually do a 4i 🤷‍♂️

Leaning towards two hybrids and one fairway wood as I’ve typically played better with hybrids than fairway woods in the past. I do know some people really like their 5 woods though… or maybe I go compete 180 and actually do a 4i 🤷‍♂️
From the unbiased opinion of a Team Hackers member, you should definitely go with a 4i. And a 3i. In blades.

Kidding aside, if you’re happy with the hybrid performance, that’s what I’d bag. I’m sticking to fairway woods - I’m one of those who like the 5W and 7W.

I am a big fan of the Club Champion fittings. Looks like you have a great feel for the exact clubs to order now. My only issue with Club Champion is there limited on stock shafts and many of the shafts they carry are pretty expensive.

When you go full tilt with Club Champion you have to be committed to keeping those clubs much longer. I just can’t justify spending that money on their shafts and then try to trade in or sell the clubs a year later for new equipment.

I think you should go hybrid over 4i and 5w. In my experience theyre easier to control. Im kind of in between 3 hybrid and 5w myself. I like my current hybrid better than my 5w and theyre basically the same distance so will most likely go 3h King Tec.

Are you expecting to use the 3W more off the tee or the fairway?

I am a big fan of the Club Champion fittings. Looks like you have a great feel for the exact clubs to order now. My only issue with Club Champion is there limited on stock shafts and many of the shafts they carry are pretty expensive.

When you go full tilt with Club Champion you have to be committed to keeping those clubs much longer. I just can’t justify spending that money on their shafts and then try to trade in or sell the clubs a year later for new equipment.
Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Definitely like the shafts they ended up putting me in, but also wonder if I would need to changes shafts soon-ish if I get more golf experience
Are you expecting to use the 3W more off the tee or the fairway?
I think both if possible 😅 with my gamer, I’ve been just as accurate, if not more, with my driver versus my 3 wood so my three wood has typically been a fairway club. I’d love a fairway finder though so 🤷‍♂️

Back