Total beginner from Sheffield UK

Welcome to :thp:.

Hi, I'm 58 and a newbie to the game, just had ACDF surgery so will be starting from scratch in 6 to 12 weeks time.

Any help and advice gratefully received
You're in the right place for lots of advice - the tricky part is know what is applicable to you. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Good luck and welcome

A

Welcome to THP.
The best advice I can offer is make sure to have fun.

Welcome.

My advice is to take it steady and ease yourself into the game. It might take you a bit longer to get into the swing of things (heh) due to the back, but you can still have plenty of fun and get out into the fresh air before you start worrying about being any good.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!!

Welcome to THP!

Oi, welcome. Relax and enjoy, get healthy first. . It's a great game.

Welcome to THP and to the game!

Welcome to THP! If you can find an instructor to help get you going and have a blast!

:welcome:
and welcome to this great game. Enjoy the journey!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to the game and to THP!

Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP and golf.

If i could start over and if I knew I wanted to try to be competent at the game I would a) take lessons from the very beginning; b) make sure my grip is correct; and c) learn the game “backwards” - from the hole out [everyone wants to hit the ball a mile and have a perfect swing, but the object of the game is to score, which means getting the ball in the hole]

Thanks for the welcome, don't think in 15 years or so of forum use I've ever had such a warm, helpful welcome (y)

If i could start over and if I knew I wanted to try to be competent at the game I would a) take lessons from the very beginning; b) make sure my grip is correct; and c) learn the game “backwards” - from the hole out [everyone wants to hit the ball a mile and have a perfect swing, but the object of the game is to score, which means getting the ball in the hole]

I've been for a putter fitting and after much hmming and ahhing bought a taylormade spider with slight toe hang.

Picked up a mat, Puttout pressure put trainer, a dozen soft feel balls and a Blast Golf sensor. This is all set up in the attic (top floor of our victorian semi which has its own break) and I'm spending 15 to 20 minutes practicing with the intention of getting a smooth, consistent stroke during my enforced rest. It's all I'm allowed to do but it feels good having a challenge and attacking it in a systemic way.

I'm currently contacting local professionals to try and find the one with the most experience and knowledge to help someone in my position. Plan is blocks of 6 lessons (each lesson 2 weeks apart) then a brief break to try and mould it all together and then start the next block. I've set no timescale or limit on number of lessons and will just play it by ear until I stop seeing any real benefits.

I've got to be careful, I'm 58 and have suffered 4 fractured vertebrae in separate cycling incidents, had a fairly major L5 disc issue over nearly a decade and then 10 weeks ago did something that set off the C6/C7 disc issue that could have put me in a wheelchair.

I really like your outlook for a new golfer (drive for show putt for dough) and my current situation let's me get started along the same lines as you suggested.

Back