Tour Edge 1 out sand wedge

I don't how you guys can open the face of a wide sole wedge without huge risk of a thin/skull. Isn't the whole point of this club category to keep a square face?

Dave
In theory yes. Straight face because they have a ton of exposed bounce already. But to hit it higher doesn’t hurt to open it up a little to add more loft. Have to just make sure you take enough sand.

I don't how you guys can open the face of a wide sole wedge without huge risk of a thin/skull. Isn't the whole point of this club category to keep a square face?

Dave

That's what I thought too. Still experimenting.

It works for me in sand that I can hot behind the ball with.

If it's hard and you're going to pick it out, then opening it gets interesting.....

It works for me in sand that I can hot behind the ball with.

If it's hard and you're going to pick it out, then opening it gets interesting.....

Cool, it seems hard or wet sand, is tough for this style of wedge. I guess you have to play around with it. Good to know opening and picking it, will work, too.

I'm using the Cally Sure Out 64*, and to me, the secret is in the set up, especially playing the ball way forward in your stance. Do a Youtube search for the cally, and there are some good videos from Haney and Phil, and they are very useful with this club.

I still open my stance like a "real" sand wedge. I open the face if i I need it up quick, or squared up for longer shots.

Hit a credit card behind the ball and don't stop your swing in the sand.

;)
I do the same with my smart sole. 4 out of 4 last weekend with 2 par saves. Slightly open face, slightly open stance and follow through.

I own a 1 Out that I don’t have in my bag right now. I took it out a few rounds ago. It works great from the sand for me, but I can’t do anything with it from the turf. Every time I try to hit it off grass I end up with a chunk or a blades shot across the green. I swapped it out for an old set sand wedge that is only marginally more difficult to hit from the bunker, but serves other purposes as well.

I’d really like to try a Smart Sole S...I just need to find a deal on one first.

I own a 1 Out that I don’t have in my bag right now. I took it out a few rounds ago. It works great from the sand for me, but I can’t do anything with it from the turf. Every time I try to hit it off grass I end up with a chunk or a blades shot across the green. I swapped it out for an old set sand wedge that is only marginally more difficult to hit from the bunker, but serves other purposes as well.

I’d really like to try a Smart Sole S...I just need to find a deal on one first.

I went to the Smart Sole S and it has a lot of the same qualities like a 1 out. It is just not as heavy of a club.

I went to the Smart Sole S and it has a lot of the same qualities like a 1 out. It is just not as heavy of a club.

Interesting. Maybe I’ll actually have to learn to hit a regular wedge from the bunker instead of trying to use a dedicated sand club around the green.

Interesting. Maybe I’ll actually have to learn to hit a regular wedge from the bunker instead of trying to use a dedicated sand club around the green.

Specs are mostly the same. The only difference is the 1 out is a swing weight of D8 and the Smart Sole is D5. So, a slight improvement with the smart sole.

Dave
I always thought the flange was really exaggerated on these designs so that you could still do it either way.
Digging in is what many fear and a square face makes that more possible I'd think with any design?
Wet heavy sand and a lot of bounce/flange/sole width could be a tough shot.

Specs are mostly the same. The only difference is the 1 out is a swing weight of D8 and the Smart Sole is D5. So, a slight improvement with the smart sole.

A slightly open stance and club head swinging towards your target.

After that, it's all about head speed & how much sand to borrow.

Opening the face " little or a lot" really depends on your understanding bounce angles work and the different sand conditions you are playing out of..

The SW you are playing with can make things pretty sporty when facing firm bunkers or and slightly fried egg lies. :oops:

Do I want to use the bounce of the club or dig deep into the sand with a closed face?

You guys are funny. Not saying your advice is wrong, but it's starting to sound more and more like advice for a standard wedge from the sand. If only I could open the face and "thump" it every time, I could use any wedge from the sand.

The Bazooka 1 Out Plus is quite different then the Smart Sole 3 S I just added. The B1OP has 64° of loft and an 11° bounce. The SS3S is 58° and only has 6° of bounce. Add in the heavy head of the B1OP and the 90g counterbalance shaft and they are just not going to play the same.

Where they do not vary is how they are supposed to be played, with a square stance, period. Believe me, I tried to open up my SS3S, and it's becomes chunky and skull city. Doing so just negates the benefit of the wide sole easy out design.

Here's the Tour Edge video on how to use your club. If the square stance isn't working, it could be just you:) or it's just the wrong club.

You guys are funny. Not saying your advice is wrong, but it's starting to sound more and more like advice for a standard wedge from the sand. If only I could open the face and "thump" it every time, I could use any wedge from the sand.

The Bazooka 1 Out Plus is quite different then the Smart Sole 3 S I just added. The B1OP has 64° of loft and an 11° bounce. The SS3S is 58° and only has 6° of bounce. Add in the heavy head of the B1OP and the 90g counterbalance shaft and they are just not going to play the same.

Where they do not vary is how they are supposed to be played, with a square stance, period. Believe me, I tried to open up my SS3S, and it's becomes chunky and skull city. Doing so just negates the benefit of the wide sole easy out design.

Here's the Tour Edge video on how to use your club. If the square stance isn't working, it could be just you:) or it's just the wrong club.

To each his own, but my experience has been that the Smart Sole sand wedge is easier to use than a regular sand wedge. I know it is designed to just use squarely but it works better for me if I open it up a little bit. I can use a regular sand wedge with some success, I can use the Smart Sole with more successfully. I do not open it up from turf, only in the sand.

Baddog, I appreciate you chiming in. Actually your stats might be for the B1OP, where I have the original TE 1 out. Here's the specs: 1 OUT SW, 58° loft, 64° lie, 14° bounce, D-8 Swing weight and 35.25" length. So, the Smart Sole 4 S is a little closer to the original TE one out: 58° loft 64° lie 35.25"length and D5 swing weight. But, overall I'm glad to hear you say they are different. I was wondering what did I do going from this monster TE 1 out to a similar club, SS4S. Today, I tried a chipping stance and style swing and it is much better. Stay tuned for feedback on the course. Thanks, for the video! I have seen the vid when scouting the Tour Out. 1. Mike is in Garner, NC - in the Raleigh area. Haven't seen him. But, I like his videos. Thx, CG

Last edited:
Whoops, I messed up those numbers... 58° / 14° for the 1 Out, 56° / 11° for the 1 Out Plus.

On the Smart Sole front, I 100% agree, it's the easiest out of the sand club I have ever used. I haven't left one in the bunker or overshot the green, yet.

It's even better with short pitches from tight lies, but has anyone had luck with this club from the rough? It just grabs, pops up and goes short, every time.

Whoops, I messed up those numbers... 58° / 14° for the 1 Out, 56° / 11° for the 1 Out Plus.

On the Smart Sole front, I 100% agree, it's the easiest out of the sand club I have ever used. I haven't left one in the bunker or overshot the green, yet.

It's even better with short pitches from tight lies, but has anyone had luck with this club from the rough? It just grabs, pops up and goes short, every time.
@baddog, I use mine from the rough all the time. I use all shoulders and fully commit, I have found that any wrist action at all dooms you because you can't follow through.

Ok, cool. I haven't seen what the bounce is for the SS4S.

I've only used the Smart Sole in the sand. It will be interesting to experiment in the rough and fairway.

How do you guys play these wide soled clubs in the wet or compact sand?

How do you guys play these wide soled clubs in the wet or compact sand?
Sorry for the late reply. For me, wet or compact sand just plain sucks no matter what I am using. Wet I just hit like I normally would, but swing harder so the wet sand does not stop me. Compact, all bets are off, I just try to pick it clean. Your traps sound like the typical traps where I play, not maintained very well, flood every time it rains and no loose sand at all. I find it very refreshing to actually play a course that has real, well maintained sand traps. It is much easier to hit out of a well maintained trap.

Hopefully the club is working for you. I was under the impression that it was designed primarily as a sand bunker club to be used with a normal stance and square clubface. Opening the face or your stance using the club results in what you're seeing with thin and fat shots. <-- that's what I thought from reading about it here and elsewhere.

Whoops again. The Smart Sole 3 S bounce is 8.08° not 6° with a 32.55mm center.

I just asked about the Smart Sole 4s, twice; 18° for the C, 23° for the G and 20° for the S. So no measured bounce I guess. Really wish they would just say.

Last edited:
Hopefully the club is working for you. I was under the impression that it was designed primarily as a sand bunker club to be used with a normal stance and square clubface. Opening the face or your stance using the club results in what you're seeing with thin and fat shots. <-- that's what I thought from reading about it here and elsewhere.
I've given up on these clubs.

Back