Tour Edge Exotics CB ProH Irons Review

Shakey

#TheGolfWhisperer
Reaction score
Handicap
10.7 Index
I've really enjoyed the distance my D200 irons have given me, but lately I've been wanting something that had a smaller profile, less offset & would give me a lower flight.

After a lot of research, I decided to take a gamble on the Exotics CB ProH irons. While the only reviews I could find on them were for the 2 iron, they sounded like what I was looking for.

I got the irons yesterday afternoon, but wasn't able to hit them till this morning. Here are a few shots I took of them on the range before I hit any balls.

3278117e4fb3fc5b06d1652be68aff97.jpg

86f021d35c0d8755507f17c347e9f7ec.jpg

9fa31739f4e4f30bcd9cd5fb029a90e1.jpg

I'll add additional thoughts later. My flight is about to take off.

Looking forward to your thoughts. I have the 2, but haven't hit or seen the other irons in person. You can pick up a set for a song online.

Great looking irons!

The set is made up of 3 - PW w/ True Temper X-Lite 90 steel stiff shafts.

The heads are polished chrome w/ a slight cavity back. They almost look like muscle backs to me. The PW - 8i are traditional solid core irons. When I first saw them I was worried that they wouldn't be forgiving enough for a hacker like me.

The 7i - 3i are hollow muscle backs. The size of the hollow muscle gets progressively bigger toward the long irons. The blade length also gets a little longer from short to long irons.

The offset is just right IMO. It's there, but hardly noticeable.

Another thing I was worried about was the the soles. I couldn't get a good feel for how wide they were from the pics I'd found online. In hand, they have a very unique shape. They have a traditional shape/size in the front, but the trailing side slopes upward in a slow curve that turns into the back of the hollow muscle on the back of the club. Until you look close, this makes the soles look pretty wide, but that is not the case.

More on performance later.

I like the looks of those, nice pick up!

Been enamored with these irons for quite some time. Interested to hear your thoughts!

They're great irons, I think you will like them a lot. I picked up a set with graphite shafts when my wife decided to "borrow" my W/S C100s. Overall, I've found them similar to the C100s just a bit less forgiving of "thin" shots.

I had these with KBS tour stiff early this year. These are fantastic irons. Those long irons are probably the easiest to launch I've ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are awesome looking, don't look very intimidating but have an extremely classy look!

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Two things were obvious from the first swings of these irons:
1. They are a club shorter than the D200s... and this should shock no one. The D200s are filthy long so I didn't expect the CB ProHs to compare, but I will have to change the make up of the rest of my bag to adjust to the new distances.
2. These sticks throw darts. After spending time on the range, I went around the front 9 at the course & dropped 2 balls from my usual approach distances. I only missed the green with 2 out of the 18 balls I hit. That is ridiculous. On a good day I might hit 10 or 11 greens in a round w/ the D200s.. The 2 I missed were on the 1st hole. I came up short because I didn't club up to account for the distance difference between the D200s & the ProHs.
Numerous times my shots ended up like this.
066bdb617319db7695abd5a6d8eefc08.jpg

Got a round in with the new irons Sunday afternoon with pretty good results. The course I played is longer than what I normally play & I had an off day with the driver. This lead to a lot of approach shots with my hybrids instead of an iron.

Here are a few thoughts:

Positives: I expected to have more directional misses than I'm getting, but I'm not seeing much sideways movement at all. My misses have all been distance related. I'm also finding the center of the club face more often too.

The feel/sound is excellent. All the irons, including the hollow ones, make a nice solid impact sound. Nothing tinny or weird. Just a solid thwack.

They still look amazing at address & in the bag.

Negatives: Its an ego thing, but it hard to pull the 6i for those 155-160 yard shots when it used to be a 7i. #shortknocker

Got another round in today w/ the CB ProH irons.

I'm starting to get a better feel for my distances now & that is leading to more decisive swings.

Today's big revelation was that I can put some major spin on the ball with my short irons. I've never been able to do that before. On the 3rd hole, my approach shot from about 115 landed on the green, took one big hop forward & then ripped back about 13' behind my divot. While it didn't help me get closer to the hole, it sure was cool to see it dance like that.

Glad to hear that you're becoming more comfortable with the irons. Fortunately, my distances are similar to my C100's since I can't really afford to lose length. #ShortKnocker

Curious, how's your ball flight? Mine's a touch flatter with the CB ProH than the C100s (both graphite).

Glad to hear that you're becoming more comfortable with the irons. Fortunately, my distances are similar to my C100's since I can't really afford to lose length. #ShortKnocker

Curious, how's your ball flight? Mine's a touch flatter with the CB ProH than the C100s (both graphite).
The flight is much flatter than the D200s, but that is what I was wanting. I hit moon balls with the the D200s.

I wonder if a shaft change might help with the distance. I hit Orange Hog's Srixon Z745s with the Recoil shafts & was getting plenty of distance with them.

I have the standard Fujikura Fuel graphite shafts in my set. Though I think that the Recoils were a option.
I bought mine used and was just happy that they were my specs from the factory. (3 up +1)

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Just received my set of these yesterday. 3-PW, Stiff TT X-lite shafts, standard LLL. Just got back from the range and I am impressed. Look great down by the ball, feel soft at impact, and a better flight for me than the X2Hot Pro's I've been playing. Still a boring flight but a peak hieght that is higher. As you get down to the 8-PW, the feel does get a tiny bit firmer, I'm guessing because the lack of forged face, but they still feel good. No noticable distance loss for me, if any it would have to only be a few yards. With the X2Hot Pro's I could barely hit the 6 iron so that was as low as I bagged, the 6 iron here was as easy to hit as a scoring iron. Testing of the long irons and pictures will happen Monday. I'm looking forward to the results. In terms of looks don by the ball, you don't notice anything different until maybe the five iron. Topline and offset are VERY comparable to the X2Hot's until about that point, which is what I was looking for, same look but more help. These have delivered so far.

Here's some pics after I got them Yesterday.
Whole set from top:

Back of 6 iron:

6 iron from address:

Enjoy them

So I was able to grab some comparison pics with the X2Hot Pro's at the range. All pics are X2Hot Pro's on left and CB PROh's on the right. Tried to crop as equally as possible. Had a lesson this week also, the instructor and I both noticed much better trajectory and height. Still really liking these.

4I:

5I:

6I:

7I:

8I:

9I:

PW:

Since this set only goes to PW I think I'll be grabbing a 50* Ping Glide as a Gap in front of my 54* Glide Sand.

Glad you are enjoying them.

They are good irons. Hope you continue to like them.

They are good irons. Hope you continue to like them.

Don't see anything kicking these out anytime soon! The forgiveness I'm getting with these looks will be hard to beat!

jochan90 glad to hear that they are working well for you. I've played these irons off and on for awhile and really like them. My set is 3-PW and though I game the 3 and 4 occasionally, I usually see a bit more distance out of my Mashies in those slots.

jochan90 glad to hear that they are working well for you. I've played these irons off and on for awhile and really like them. My set is 3-PW and though I game the 3 and 4 occasionally, I usually see a bit more distance out of my Mashies in those slots.

I really am liking these. I have the 3-PW, but use a 7-wood instead of the three iron. I hit the 4 and 5 from the set about the same as my tight lies hybrids so I'm actually keeping them in for now. I was a little worried at first that these might be like a driving iron set and the flight might be more of a low flight, but I have been pleasently surprised!

Back