Tour Edge Hot Launch 521 Hybrids

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Full story on the new lineup and detail on the drivers can be found here.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/tour-edge-hot-launch-521-extreme-and-competition-series/

The hybrids follow suit of the driver lineup.

“The Extreme Spec 521 hybrid is going to give you the ultimate in getting you out of trouble or just getting the ball up in the air due to the amazingly effective Houdini Sole we’ve developed,” said Glod.

“The Competition Spec 521 hybrid is loaded with advanced tech in a classic shape that is still extremely easy to launch, but in a design that suits the eye and ear of the discerning golfer.”

Cost: $129

521 E Series Hybrid In bag.jpg

521 E series IronWood in air.jpg

521 C series hybrid on ground.jpg

Cool, I have been trying to decide if I wanted to go with another HL4 ironwood or wait to see what the next iteration would be. I can wait!

These would make a great transition from FW to irons.

E521 hybrid reminds me of the Xrail that I still game

Once again, good looking clubs with a lot of useful tech at great price points.

This is intriguing, especially since I don’t have any hybrids at the moment.

I just filled my hybrid slots (3 and 4), or else I’d be tempted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure how i feel about the hybrid looks. Fairway woods look solid

the $129 price is outstanding

Those look fantastic!

Those look great and something I will have to try. I am interested in the hotlaunch Ironwoods specifically. Looks like there covers are a step up also from previous offerings. Can't wait for the hands on reviews to pour in.

Thought I would paste this over to the hybrid thread:

Final Tour Edge box arrived today. EXS220 5h came in the other day. The E521 and C521 5 hybrids came in today.

Initial thoughts:
Looks:
I was a bit weary of the online renderings thinking these may look "cheap" but no concerns there. Nice gloss black finish and the medium blue accents it well.

C521 - I thought this would be a new design but to my eye its a repainted HL4 hybrid with the added diamond face tech.
I never got along well with the HL3/4 line of hybrids (very fade oriented for me) but we shall see.

E521 - Now this is something I have never seen before in a hybrid. It's very shallow, and at address is very stretched out and pancakey looking. Offset is visible and the 1* closed face (per spec) is evident too. This is the one I am most intrigued to hit as its something new per se to me. Reminds me of a love child between a Callaway X hot and a Moonwood with a slapped on rail.

Build Quality:
Specs say 39.25" on the EXS220 (Swing weight is not listed), E521 and C521 are 38.25" per spec. According to my measurements they are spot on: EXS220 measured out at 39 3/8" and the 521's were right at 38 3/8". Tour Edge measures without grips so the additional 1/8" for the grip cap adds up.

~~Something to note here is the length. The EXS220 is of "normal" hybrid lengths these days. To where the 521's are 1" shorter and play more like an iron length.

Swing weights (on my scale) were:
EXS220 - D3
E521 and C521 were D2
All in the normal range.

Total weight: 365g EXS220, 367g C521 and 368 E521.

Grips:
EXS220 has the Lamkin Crossline 360
E521/C521 have what feels like a softer version of the Lamkin Z5

Headcovers:
The EXS220 has the leather off white, black, red and blue cover. I know many really liked the EXS220 series covers but I was not one of them. It's on the larger side for a hybrid cover and given I have a good amount of woods and hybrids I prefer a smaller cover to de -clutter the bag. The covers on the 521 line are sock style covers similar to what I used on my Xrail hybrid. Gray/silver cover for the E521 and a Black cover for the C521.

I haven't hit the 521's yet.. Yesterday I hit the EXS220 at the range and liked it alot. It's a bomber though and might not gap well with my normal setup. It was approaching 4h distance for me.

Some pics of all 3:

5EB594A1-CAAF-43FB-9E84-A878E6E8DEBB.jpeg58573DC2-37FD-4E73-98FC-50B85D63D505.jpegAB783503-2D20-4A5C-8E6B-1BD227A1AD0B.jpeg3F23E1F3-0587-4398-B59D-529CF7FA0AD5.jpeg3D86CD06-8D0A-47D6-83E2-E5BC2F181F87.jpeg86CDA319-D772-4DC5-984C-683F3968BF5D.jpeg4152D0DA-CFA6-4AB1-8843-DE142980943A.jpeg12EF9F8C-F881-4C4C-82C7-FE864058E4FD.jpeg7DB96541-93FB-4C45-99F6-1F6EF686EEB8.jpegB597024C-B388-4BE9-BA60-3BFDCC40185C.jpegC12CC079-62CC-4CBA-B2DB-F2346085E15C.jpegABA72E09-38F6-45E9-83E4-8BA0B364EA61.jpegC08BA8E4-480F-44EC-B8D9-608F569E816A.jpeg3CFDDF74-F2A3-4B03-94CD-F14EE1B47C6D.jpeg

Got out yesterday to play 18. Had the e521 5 hybrid in the bag.

Overall results were pretty good. I used it a total of 4 times:
1st time from the rough.. I thinned it, the ball came out low but still carried a pond hit the back of the green and left me just off. Was able to get up and down after a nice chip.
2nd time from the rough. I caught it pure, but the wind took a little deep and it hit the back of the green and skipped off.
3rd time par 3 - I didn't quite catch it cleanly, it went dead online but came up just short of the green.
4th time par 3 downhill - I didn't account for the wind and it carried the green. Made a nice chip and got up and down.
So 0/4 on GIR but the results were still good as luckily my short game bailed me out 2 of the times. Also from 165-175 yds I don't expect to hit the green everytime.

I think where this one shines is the launch (shallow face) and turf interaction with the Houdini sole.

As I mentioned in the Ironwood thread, the Fubuki R flex shaft feels a bit soft in this one. I would like to try the club with either the stiff Fubuki or perhaps the 65g Rogue Reg that comes in the C521 hybrid. That one doesn't seem as tip soft at the Fubuki.

on the course pic:
FC25A554-4D83-4659-913C-3A17DF9C8361.jpeg

1st time from the rough.. I thinned it, the ball came out low but still carried a pond hit the back of the green and left me just off. Was able to get up and down after a nice chip.
2nd time from the rough. I caught it pure, but the wind took a little deep and it hit the back of the green and skipped off.
3rd time par 3 - I didn't quite catch it cleanly, it went dead online but came up just short of the green.
4th time par 3 downhill - I didn't account for the wind and it carried the green. Made a nice chip and got up and down.
So 0/4 on GIR but the results were still good as luckily my short game bailed me out 2 of the times. Also from 165-175 yds I don't expect to hit the green everytime.

I think where this one shines is the launch (shallow face) and turf interaction with the Houdini sole.

As I mentioned in the Ironwood thread, the Fubuki R flex shaft feels a bit soft in this one. I would like to try the club with either the stiff Fubuki or perhaps the 65g Rogue Reg that comes in the C521 hybrid. That one doesn't seem as tip soft at the Fubuki.

on the course pic:
View attachment 8979581

was waiting to hear your on course feedback on this one...my 17* super hybrid ponder is out the window since it’ll probably infringe on the 3w :LOL:...the e521 5h seems like a good fit.

was waiting to hear your on course feedback on this one...my 17* super hybrid ponder is out the window since it’ll probably infringe on the 3w :LOL:...the e521 5h seems like a good fit.
I’m still debating on the e521 5h. It’s been pretty good so far in my limited testing but there is a bit of sentimental value with my Xrail 5h as it got me my first ever Ace back in July.

then yesterday I put the Xrail 4h back in the bag for the first time in a while. I had a Shot uphill into the wind and stopped it dead pin high about 12’ away. Just when I try and write them off those pesky Xrails pull out the good shots lol

on the course pic:
View attachment 8979581

That looks really good at address.

That looks really good at address.
Definitely. The offset is there if you present it with a normal setup. I tend to play my hands forward a good bit which by default opens the face back up to square. So that is how I play it.
I’d love to try the fairway wood too. But right now I’m really hitting my Flash woods too well to mess with them.

first - i see this is HL 521 hybrids, @JB let me know if this needs moved...

Ok i got out this morning and had the E521 3 ironwood in play... this club was being used instead of the monster 3 hybrid EXS 220 Pro that I have.

So let’s start with the goal position that I would use this club... I have a 4iron 765 Srixon as the top of my irons. From there I go to a 4w OG Cleveland 16.5/17* (not sure to be honest) so this is slated in between these two.

I have never heard of the iron wood and it wasn’t a sexy Utility iron that other hit here like the Srixon U series or the TE Ti utility or others that @Jman has featured. I liked the look and it definitely advertises at address the look of confidence. No problem swinging it or lining it up.

Sooo the shots that were hit… 210, which is outside my flushed 4i and there was wind today… took off high and drawed nicely just off the green. Tried a few off the tee, boomed very high (perhaps fubuki was responsible, or my swing 🤷‍♂️ who knows) drawing nicely, had it been lined up a bit to the right would have cut the corner on a par 4 very nicely.

From the rough, no problem scraping through the turn and delivering a perfect shot. Fairway on the long par 5 was perfect as well to my lay up (layups on par 5s in January, 😢😩😉🙃 I know I know)

I should have taken pictures, my fault i will snap some next time Ohio provides a +40 sunny day.

I didn’t wait very long.
162b0b8cf9b535b8344b6c000a662d88.jpg

db26e1fb42b5d06f7ca58a16a8cbd881.jpg

941833a7ca16aec74ab66d2e5eabd110.jpg

We have some good stuff coming from this line in the Showcase.

first - i see this is HL 521 hybrids, @JB let me know if this needs moved...

Ok i got out this morning and had the E521 3 ironwood in play... this club was being used instead of the monster 3 hybrid EXS 220 Pro that I have.

So let’s start with the goal position that I would use this club... I have a 4iron 765 Srixon as the top of my irons. From there I go to a 4w OG Cleveland 16.5/17* (not sure to be honest) so this is slated in between these two.

I have never heard of the iron wood and it wasn’t a sexy Utility iron that other hit here like the Srixon U series or the TE Ti utility or others that @Jman has featured. I liked the look and it definitely advertises at address the look of confidence. No problem swinging it or lining it up.

Sooo the shots that were hit… 210, which is outside my flushed 4i and there was wind today… took off high and drawed nicely just off the green. Tried a few off the tee, boomed very high (perhaps fubuki was responsible, or my swing 🤷‍♂️ who knows) drawing nicely, had it been lined up a bit to the right would have cut the corner on a par 4 very nicely.

From the rough, no problem scraping through the turn and delivering a perfect shot. Fairway on the long par 5 was perfect as well to my lay up (layups on par 5s in January, 😢😩😉🙃 I know I know)

I should have taken pictures, my fault i will snap some next time Ohio provides a +40 sunny day.

@Gman79 -- This is the thread for the Iron wood.
Give er the old copy and paste over to that thread !!

Good feedback so far. I am going to VA next week and bringing along the 3IW to hit on my buddy's home monitor setup.

I didn’t wait very long.
162b0b8cf9b535b8344b6c000a662d88.jpg

db26e1fb42b5d06f7ca58a16a8cbd881.jpg

941833a7ca16aec74ab66d2e5eabd110.jpg

Very cool. I had the same club but returned it to TEE. It performed well but I thought the light Fubuki felt on the softer side. I have an email in to them to see if they can build the E521 hybrid with the Rogue 65 shaft that comes with the C521 hybrid. If they can I might go that route and get the 6h. If not I will get the 6h probably in stiff flex.

I actually took a step backward and picked up a like new Exotics Trilogy 5h off the bay. I had a chance to hit it for the first time yesterday. Holy rocket launcher. Was seeing upwards of 175-180 carry which is ridiculously long for me from a 5h at 26*. Since they don't offer the Trilogy in a 6h the e521 would be the next best thing. Or I might try the E521 5 ironwood.

Just so many options right now from Tour Edge in the hybrid and Iron wood space. Love it !!

I forgot to add in my other post that I think its cool what Tour Edge is doing here with the 521 line.

You have the C series which is more traditional in shape yet still provides plenty of forgiveness and help. Also given the price its a nice option if one likes the EXS220 line but doesn't necessarily want to spend a little more for the 220's. The C521 hybrid I could see really appealing to a better player that likes a neutral face and slightly smaller profile. Its definitely smaller than the EXS220 hybrid and E521 hybrid. Also I found it very fade biased on the course. Very difficult to turn over if at all. Most shots were a butter cut with it.

Then you have the E series which some pretty unique shapes to really help get the ball up in the air as well as help mitigate the slice.
Having tried the E521 hybrid and seeing the e521 fairway you have a club that is really different in terms of what's on the market right now.
Low profile, stretched out head, Houdini sole, offset...all geared to help make golf a bit easier. I guess you could say Cobra with the Fmax line is somewhat similar but I still think E521 line is pretty unique.

Very cool. I had the same club but returned it to TEE. It performed well but I thought the light Fubuki felt on the softer side. I have an email in to them to see if they can build the E521 hybrid with the Rogue 65 shaft that comes with the C521 hybrid. If they can I might go that route and get the 6h. If not I will get the 6h probably in stiff flex.
Yeah my only reservation was the Fubuki shaft as well. But so far it seems okay for me. I tend to have a low ball flight but I hit this 5h higher than I did my 5 ironwood. If push comes to shove I can have it reshafted.

Back