Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had shot 52 and 54 on 9 holes (walking) the last two weeks and thought I was ready to break 50. Um, no. Friday I shot 62 and was just lost for a fair portion of the round. Golf teacher had me standing up straighter and changing my stance some ... and I wasn't ready to implement them in a round. Should've gone to the range and "grooved that" more ... made a mess of the first two holes (snowmen) on my way to a lousy round. Made up for the bad ball striking with bad putting.

All in all, I felt like a step backward. #unhappy

50-47 today. This is the first time I have actually played since the KC Invitational. I can tell the range and lessons have definitely helped as I hit the ball farther then I am used to. Now just to keep it going lower.

definitely a target of mine before next season, had a round 2 weeks ago at 101 (so close :violin: ) but im hitting 104-108 often with the odd 110 + when i have a really bad round :bad:

52/50 for a 102 on the Bethpage Yellow. Doesn't help if you start double, double, double, triple.

Had shot 52 and 54 on 9 holes (walking) the last two weeks and thought I was ready to break 50. Um, no. Friday I shot 62 and was just lost for a fair portion of the round. Golf teacher had me standing up straighter and changing my stance some ... and I wasn't ready to implement them in a round. Should've gone to the range and "grooved that" more ... made a mess of the first two holes (snowmen) on my way to a lousy round. Made up for the bad ball striking with bad putting.

All in all, I felt like a step backward. #unhappy

Just gotta keep you foot down on the gas pedal and drive right through these rounds!
I shot a 110 today with at least 10 three-putts, so I feel ya, brother.

Keep at it guys. I thought i would never break 100 (came close at 100 and 101), but kept working, and them it just came together. I had a 92, and then had 9's of 43 and 44. Just keep working.

I shot a 47 today over 9 with 15 putts. Short game wasn't great, but well enough to give me a few chances to 1 putt. I only had 1 GIR and had 2 penalties. And I made one attempt at a hero shot when I knew I shouldn't and failed miserably - ball above my feet with a 3 wood with 234 to the green. I half way topped it or something and sent it week and low and right which forced me to punch out of rough due to trees blocking a straight shot. So that kept me from 45. I had another punch out of rough on the following hole because I drove a little right into a tree line and over did it, sending my ball a few feet too far and into a creek for a penalty. So same stuff, different day. Just need to continue to fine tune my course management decisions.

I shot a 47 today over 9 with 15 putts. Short game wasn't great, but well enough to give me a few chances to 1 putt. I only had 1 GIR and had 2 penalties. And I made one attempt at a hero shot when I knew I shouldn't and failed miserably - ball above my feet with a 3 wood with 234 to the green. I half way topped it or something and sent it week and low and right which forced me to punch out of rough due to trees blocking a straight shot. So that kept me from 45. I had another punch out of rough on the following hole because I drove a little right into a tree line and over did it, sending my ball a few feet too far and into a creek for a penalty. So same stuff, different day. Just need to continue to fine tune my course management decisions.

It seems our mistakes compound themselves, don't they? Well, take your lumps, and remember the next time.
Remember: do as I say, not as I do.

Played 4 times after shooting my 91 week before last with a 109, and 2 rounds of 9 with 2 54's. Very frustrating to say the least, my short game is
causing me problems due to the fact I'm hitting the ball much better and have added distance to all my clubs. Right now I only carry a PW and a gap wedge
thinking I may need to add a couple more wedges to my bag. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Played 4 times after shooting my 91 week before last with a 109, and 2 rounds of 9 with 2 54's. Very frustrating to say the least, my short game is
causing me problems due to the fact I'm hitting the ball much better and have added distance to all my clubs. Right now I only carry a PW and a gap wedge
thinking I may need to add a couple more wedges to my bag. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

my driver is in time out so I'm thinking of adding a 54. Have 49 and 60. maybe something in the middle? I'll be interested to see what people say to this too.

my driver is in time out so I'm thinking of adding a 54. Have 49 and 60. maybe something in the middle? I'll be interested to see what people say to this too.
Keep it simple. I go from a 49 DW to a 54 SW. I also have a 58 LW but I haven't used it for about two months since I've been relying on my SW a lot. Honestly, I'd avoid the higher lofted wedges and keep things simple around the green. It's helped my short game taking that approach, and I never EVER take a full swing with my SW or LW. I will with my DW (it's my 85 yard club) but that's where I draw the line. Inside of that, I'm going three quarter to half swing with anything from my 7i to my DW based on yardage and how much roll I need (rule of twelve rocks).

You are allowed 14 clubs. You can stack your bag on one end with distance clubs or on the other with scoring clubs. I vote scoring clubs. I carry a 46* PW and 50/54/58* wedges. I only use the 50/54 on full and partial swings around 30+ yards out. I use the 58 for everything else. You can still keep it simple using a higher lofted wedge. I find it easier for me than trying to bump and run with a PW or lower lofted club. And also, I've always found that the higher the loft, the easier the club to hit. My 58* is the best club in my bag and always travels the least off-line.

Keep it simple. I go from a 49 DW to a 54 SW. I also have a 58 LW but I haven't used it for about two months since I've been relying on my SW a lot. Honestly, I'd avoid the higher lofted wedges and keep things simple around the green. It's helped my short game taking that approach, and I never EVER take a full swing with my SW or LW. I will with my DW (it's my 85 yard club) but that's where I draw the line. Inside of that, I'm going three quarter to half swing with anything from my 7i to my DW based on yardage and how much roll I need (rule of twelve rocks).

And just what is this rule of twelve rocks? I know about David and his five smooth stones.... twelve rocks?

And just what is this rule of twelve rocks? I know about David and his five smooth stones.... twelve rocks?
The Rule of Twelve.

If you use one club around the green, you have to change your swing based on distance to the hole. The Rule of Twelve says keep your swing the same, but change the club to achieve greater or lesser roll out.

Well, there's 2 schools of thought on this: one wedge for all your short shots (Pelz), or several wedges for different shots. Personally, I have kept only a pitching wedge and a sand wedge in the bag for now. My theory is that, for me, I get caught up in a "this wedge is for this distance/shot" mentality, and I just don't put in enough practice time with all 4 wedges to be good at all of them. So, I have gone to a "anything more than 30 yards is my PW, anything less is my SW" way of looking at it, and adjusting the length of my back swing for the (hopefully) right distance.

I went 47/48 today for a 95, and my second (and second straight) round under 100. Oddly, I'm a bit disappointed with the score. If I could putt even a little bit I would have been somewhere around or under 90.

I struck the ball really well. My irons were better than they have ever been. I only had two poorly struck iron shots. Both were hit thin, but still ended up more or less where they would have been anyway. My new SLDR Mini also helped me a great deal in keeping the ball in play off the tee. This was my first round ever where I played all 18 with the same ball.

No penalties is quite a nice change of pace for me. I also hit more greens in regulation on the front nine than I ever have in an entire round before (5), and hit 8 total. I actually hit more greens than fairways (6).

My usual horrible putting was exceptionally poor today. I had 50 putts, including a 5 putt and two 4 putts. I really have to get a putting lesson.

I went 47/48 today for a 95, and my second (and second straight) round under 100. Oddly, I'm a bit disappointed with the score. If I could putt even a little bit I would have been somewhere around or under 90.

I struck the ball really well. My irons were better than they have ever been. I only had two poorly struck iron shots. Both were hit thin, but still ended up more or less where they would have been anyway. My new SLDR Mini also helped me a great deal in keeping the ball in play off the tee. This was my first round ever where I played all 18 with the same ball.

No penalties is quite a nice change of pace for me. I also hit more greens in regulation on the front nine than I ever have in an entire round before (5), and hit 8 total. I actually hit more greens than fairways (6).

My usual horrible putting was exceptionally poor today. I had 50 putts, including a 5 putt and two 4 putts. I really have to get a putting lesson.

At least you know where your major weakness is, now it's time to work on it. If you could have had a typical putting day with 36 putts, you're down in the low 80s assuming that you strike the ball the same.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Well, there's 2 schools of thought on this: one wedge for all your short shots (Pelz), or several wedges for different shots. Personally, I have kept only a pitching wedge and a sand wedge in the bag for now. My theory is that, for me, I get caught up in a "this wedge is for this distance/shot" mentality, and I just don't put in enough practice time with all 4 wedges to be good at all of them. So, I have gone to a "anything more than 30 yards is my PW, anything less is my SW" way of looking at it, and adjusting the length of my back swing for the (hopefully) right distance.

I use my SW from about 100 yards in. Keep it simple, and know one club really well. Btw, i only carry 7 clubs right now. Tee off with 3H, 4H for fairways, then 7i through 9i based on yardage, with the SW for anything within 100. As i get better i will deal with any gaps.

The wife plays with 4. Driver, 5H, A and putter. We are both having a lot more success.

I use my SW from about 100 yards in. Keep it simple, and know one club really well. Btw, i only carry 7 clubs right now. Tee off with 3H, 4H for fairways, then 7i through 9i based on yardage, with the SW for anything within 100. As i get better i will deal with any gaps.

The wife plays with 4. Driver, 5H, A and putter. We are both having a lot more success.
I played for years with a driving iron, 5, 7, PW, and putter. Now, I carry heavier bag, and still score the same, LOL.

Would you be interested in hearing the pros and cons of both approaches. Let's talk about it! What's YOUR wedge game plan? Let's hear it!

I haven't read Pelz's book, but I understood him to mean one wedge for partial shots (like 7, 9, 11 o'clock,etc) of varying distance and that you do that with all of your wedges so that you multiple distances that you can keep track of easily. Like this:

Distance+control.png

I prefer using one wedge for partial shots from roughly 20-85 yards. I use my highest lofted wedge and try to use a Stricker style swing with limited wrist movement unless I'm closer to the green and/or trying to get the ball up in the air higher. My full swing 58* is 85 yards, and if it's longer than that I will grip down an inch or two or narrow my feet while using my 54* wedge (105 yard club) or my 50* (120 yard club) to take off a few yards to try to get in close to the right distance. So I guess I'm trying to "feel" my distances with one club, versus having a known distance for any give club with a set backswing size (for example - 50* back to 9 o'clock = 50 yards, etc.). Obviously the problem with what I'm doing is that it is entirely feel based and requires practice to have a chance of hitting close to what you are aiming at. I'm not sure there is any benefit to what I'm doing when compared to having set known distances. I've heard of some people getting their distances dialed down with the Pelz system and then putting them on a laminated card that they attach to their bag so that they have sort of a cheat sheet to use on the course.

As for closer pitches/chips around the green, I just practice with my 58* and use it for almost every shot in this range (at the advice of my coach who was a former tour caddy). The benefits for me is that it takes guess work out of picking a club or having to think about the rule of 12. It's also less likely to ever roll the ball off the back of a green or causing a thin shot. The downside is again, it's primarily a "feel" shot where as using clubs with the rule of 12, with enough practice, would give you a really good idea of exactly how far your ball is going to fly and roll out. But if you are just a little too far from the green and don't carry the rough with the bump and run/rule of 12 club, you will almost be guaranteed a 2 chip/pitch for that hole. And those add up strokes fast (penalties, 2 chips/pitches/ and 3 putts are round killers).

I played for years with a driving iron, 5, 7, PW, and putter. Now, I carry heavier bag, and still score the same, LOL.

That is telling you something, buddy. LOL

I pulled my 4&7 woods, my 4H, and my 58* wedge out of the bag today. Added a 6i in (though that may go soon too) and plan on going with 11 clubs for the foreseeable future. Put the JetSpeed back in as well and was either in the fairway or the left side of every hole today. It was good, and shot a 45 with 14 putts. Good day today ... hope I can keep it up. One penalty and two topped shots definitely told me I can still improve. Not striking my 6i or 7i the best (or long), but the shorter clubs are coming around for me.

I will worry about the fairway woods at a later date ... my 5H will suffice for now, and I am comfortable enough with the 54 to make the 58 sort of obsolete.

That is telling you something, buddy. LOL
(fingers in ears) I'm not listening!!! La-la-la-la!!! LOL.

On a more mature note, really taking a look at my clubs, the only 2 I'd really not miss would be the hybrid, and the 4 iron, I suppose.

Would you be interested in hearing the pros and cons of both approaches. Let's talk about it! What's YOUR wedge game plan? Let's hear it!
Summed up nicely by CRW. I pretty much go by the feel as well, especially close to the green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back