Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, why do we never learn? LOL. The last hole today is a shortish par 4 the has a 90 degree left dogleg. I put my tee shot right about 140 from the pin, and, instead of playing a s,mart 7 iron into the front of the green, I tried a heroes shot over the chasm jutting into the left side of the fairway. Total top of the ball, down the left into deep rough, had to hack out and ended up taking a 7. Oy.

If we did the right thing all the time how much fun would that be? Oh right - it'd be a lot of fun as we broke 100 easily! HA!

46/53. So broke 100 two times in a row but not pleased at all. Back nine saw me go bogey bogey triple double quadruple triple bogey bogey bogey. Gah! Those four holes killed me. 33 putts total, 13 on the front with a chip in for par on #9.

46/53. So broke 100 two times in a row but not pleased at all. Back nine saw me go bogey bogey triple double quadruple triple bogey bogey bogey. Gah! Those four holes killed me. 33 putts total, 13 on the front with a chip in for par on #9.

Something tells me you are going to school all of us at #staffproto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Something tells me you are going to school all of us at #staffproto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just hope to have a repeatable swing by then! DW, PW, and 9i were ok. 7i left a bit to be desired today.

So from a very basic level if we take away the putts we are left with 66 shots or 3.7 per hole. How many pentalty shots did you have? How many times were with 30 yards of the green and failed to get up and down or up and two putt? What type of tee game are you showing off these days? Are you missing both ways? Are you short? Tell me where you are spending all your shots?

So from a very basic level if we take away the putts we are left with 66 shots or 3.7 per hole. How many pentalty shots did you have? How many times were with 30 yards of the green and failed to get up and down or up and two putt? What type of tee game are you showing off these days? Are you missing both ways? Are you short? Tell me where you are spending all your shots?

3 penalty shots today. Got up and down 4 times today (2 for par, 2 for bogey). Had two three putts.

My tee game is back to crap. 4/14 FIR, and 8 of the 10 misses were slices. Can't believe I can't get this tee game sorted out to save my life. And when I am in the fairway I am not long ... probably 210 average drive.

Short game was alright, only came up short once.

I think we need to adjust your way of thinking. A 7 iron from the fairway is not a hero shot. You are defeated before you even pull the club. Have confidence that you pulled the right club and you can deliver.

A hero shot is to a tucked pin from the left rough, over water, into the wind and OB off the back. and you have to keep low for the first 50 yards and make it rise to stop. That is a hero shot.

If you hit your 7 iron 140 yards, then that is the right club. If you don't then it was a mental error and you should have pulled he 6 iron. But this should not be an OY moment for you. Just a bad swing at the wrong time. Keep at it!!
Man, why do we never learn? LOL. The last hole today is a shortish par 4 the has a 90 degree left dogleg. I put my tee shot right about 140 from the pin, and, instead of playing a s,mart 7 iron into the front of the green, I tried a heroes shot over the chasm jutting into the left side of the fairway. Total top of the ball, down the left into deep rough, had to hack out and ended up taking a 7. Oy.

OK, lets get rid of the Penalty shots. 50% up and downs is good. Were the 3 putts for birdie, par or worse? Meaning did you have GIR and make bogie or was it on in three with 3 putt...you get what I am asking
3 penalty shots today. Got up and down 4 times today (2 for par, 2 for bogey). Had two three putts.

My tee game is back to crap. 4/14 FIR, and 8 of the 10 misses were slices. Can't believe I can't get this tee game sorted out to save my life. And when I am in the fairway I am not long ... probably 210 average drive.

Short game was alright, only came up short once.

OK, lets get rid of the Penalty shots. 50% up and downs is good. Were the 3 putts for birdie, par or worse? Meaning did you have GIR and make bogie or was it on in three with 3 putt...you get what I am asking

The three putts wrapped up a double and triple. Poor results off the tee and couldn't get back on track. Part of it was my fault trying a club I just can't hit lately (7W).

The quad was the result of two penalties on a par 3. Dumped my tee shot in the water, next shot resulted in a lie that I had to take on unplayable on.

This game drives me nuts some times. I was sick and was away from the course/range for almost 2 weeks and apparently forgot how to swing. My first round back was a course that normally eats my lunch and I shot a 114 with 8 penalties with only 1 of those off the tee. The rest were just horrible iron shots with at least 2 coming from straight up Sh@nks.

I worked on some things over the past week and got back on track and shot a 45 on 9 holes yesterday and made 4 GIR's with only 1 coming from the 2 par 3's on that 9. I think before the most GIR's I've ever had were 5 over 18 holes, so this was probably the best I've ever played. I've shot 38 before on 9 holes, but only had 2 GIR's and had to scramble much more. Yesterday's 45 came despite 1 penalty, two 3 putts, and some bad course management decisions. For example, the last hole was a par 5 and I hit my best drive of the day (close to 300) and was left with 220 to the pin. But the hole was a dog leg left and I rolled through the fairway into the right rough and had a tree line along the right between me and the pin. I already hit my 3 iron 230 over a green earlier in the day and was comfortable with the club, but the ball was a little above my feet. I felt like I had plenty of distance to clear the tree, so I decided to go for it instead of just punching out leftward and forward to get into a better position in the fairway. I gripped down since the ball was above my feet and proceeded to top the ball. It went straight and maybe 20 yards. Then I really didn't have enough room to go over the tree but decided to go for it anyway. I hit right into the tree and the ball shot right into a heavier wooded area. I then tried to punch out and hit another tree, then hit again for a successful punch out. Then I hit a pitch shot and 1 putted for a 7. I learned my lesson though and next time will take my medicine with a 7 iron punch low, forward, and left to progress into and down the fairway so that I have an easier iron shot to the green with no obstructions in the way.
Straight talk here, Not beating you up. Just a chat like we are having a beer.

You hit a 300 yard drive and 230 yard 3 iron. These are shot of the day off the tee. It feels good but you have to treat them as not the norm. You had 220 into the hole, ball above you feet (hook lie) and had to carry a tree. This sir is a hero shot that most pros would give some thought to. I am sure there are other cases of suspect choices on the course. I think you have the game to be consistent but the course management is holding you back.

If you have not pulled off a shot, lets say, over 50 times (just throwing out a number) do not attempt it unless you don't care about the results. I think you will more a chance at par if you just treat the par 5s as a three shot hole. I mean how many times have you knocked the ball on in two and made eagle. Again, just us talking...How many times have you gone for a par 5 in two and made greater than par vs par or better.

I know you know the error of your ways so put that into action from the 1st tee to the last putt. Shots will start to melt off your game.

Take the 7w out and hit as much as possible next time to the range. Make the club your beotch. Play for bogie after a penalty.
The three putts wrapped up a double and triple. Poor results off the tee and couldn't get back on track. Part of it was my fault trying a club I just can't hit lately (7W).

The quad was the result of two penalties on a par 3. Dumped my tee shot in the water, next shot resulted in a lie that I had to take on unplayable on.

Take the 7w out and hit as much as possible next time to the range. Make the club your beotch. Play for bogie after a penalty.

Will do. Did that with the 5H and its now a go to club for me. I let my emotions get to me on that par 3, dumb play on that second shot off the tee. All my fault.

I think we need to adjust your way of thinking. A 7 iron from the fairway is not a hero shot. You are defeated before you even pull the club. Have confidence that you pulled the right club and you can deliver.

A hero shot is to a tucked pin from the left rough, over water, into the wind and OB off the back. and you have to keep low for the first 50 yards and make it rise to stop. That is a hero shot.

If you hit your 7 iron 140 yards, then that is the right club. If you don't then it was a mental error and you should have pulled he 6 iron. But this should not be an OY moment for you. Just a bad swing at the wrong time. Keep at it!!
Panda, let me clarify: I actually didn't hit the 7 iron like I should have. I pulled a 5 iron out to make sure I hit over the chasm, and made it to the back of the green. The pins were back that day. Then, I hit the bad shot. I have been having trouble with topping over the last couple of rounds, and did just that.

Another Bad Day At Black Rock for Hammy today. Spraying, topping, chunking, short hits (even by my poor standards). The swing was all over the place, bad tempo, just bad.
I'm gonna take up knitting.

Straight talk here, Not beating you up. Just a chat like we are having a beer.

You hit a 300 yard drive and 230 yard 3 iron. These are shot of the day off the tee. It feels good but you have to treat them as not the norm. You had 220 into the hole, ball above you feet (hook lie) and had to carry a tree. This sir is a hero shot that most pros would give some thought to. I am sure there are other cases of suspect choices on the course. I think you have the game to be consistent but the course management is holding you back.

If you have not pulled off a shot, lets say, over 50 times (just throwing out a number) do not attempt it unless you don't care about the results. I think you will more a chance at par if you just treat the par 5s as a three shot hole. I mean how many times have you knocked the ball on in two and made eagle. Again, just us talking...How many times have you gone for a par 5 in two and made greater than par vs par or better.

I know you know the error of your ways so put that into action from the 1st tee to the last putt. Shots will start to melt off your game.

I've never made an eagle. It's tough not to try when I get that rare opportunity though. But I know you are right and that I need to play smarter if I want to get better. I had another blow up hole that round where I sent my tee shot into some trees on the right side of the fairway. I didn't take near enough time to pick the best point to punch out and ended up hitting a bush that required a drop and another punch. So that hole ended with a 7 as well.

It kills me to know that round could have been closer to a 40 if it weren't for the penalty and 3 putts.

Another Bad Day At Black Rock for Hammy today. Spraying, topping, chunking, short hits (even by my poor standards). The swing was all over the place, bad tempo, just bad.
I'm gonna take up knitting.

will you knit me some headcovers? those cool old school ones with the poms on top? :act-up:

NO KNITTING! GET BACK OUT THERE AND HIT SOME BALLS. GO TO THE RANGER AND WORK ON SOME THINGS. WE CAN DO THIS AND WE WILL DO THIS!

will you knit me some headcovers? those cool old school ones with the poms on top? :act-up:

NO KNITTING! GET BACK OUT THERE AND HIT SOME BALLS. GO TO THE RANGER AND WORK ON SOME THINGS. WE CAN DO THIS AND WE WILL DO THIS!
Yes, I will knit you some cool old style head covers with the poms on top. But, they will be maize and blue. :D
I'm heading to the range tomorrow, going to just take a 7 iron and work on the 3-to-9 drill.

Finally broke the 100 mark for the first time ever, shot a 93. Had a 47 on the front 9 and a 44 on the back nine. Now if I can just maintain the momentum and stay under a 100.

Decided to play back 9 after work yesterday. Started with quadruple on 10, then a triple on 11, but the next seven holes I played a total of +6 incl three pars. Happy with that. Total 49.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decided to play back 9 after work yesterday. Started with quadruple on 10, then a triple on 11, but the next seven holes I played a total of +6 incl three pars. Happy with that. Total 49.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good job grinding. It would have been easy to let that round slip away.

Man, life keeps getting in the way of me getting to the range. Looks like I'm going to be down to just swinging in the back yard this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back