Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are putting up some pretty good numbers, in my opinion.
SRX: keep chipping away at it (pun fully intended), you'l be breaking 90 in no time.
mmartinez27: a solid back nine there. seems like you got some tweaks done mid-round, and it paid off.
cg1013: I'd be ecstatic for 3 rounds in the 90's in a row. Keep plugging away, you'll be there.

SRX, do you use a software to keep track of your shots/stats?

Hitting the green and leaving myself a 66 ft putt doesn't help matters. That's almost a guaranteed 3 putt unless you get super lucky with the lag putt. I left myself with an 8 footer and missed it by a little. Well, 8 footers aren't easy even for pros.

I need to practice hitting long irons off tees. There are a few holes I need them. But I don't really know why, because with the injuries I've had this winter I've lost some distance. It's really hurting with my tee shots.

I shot 45 on the front today, but 58 on the back. Some ugly b**** showed up on the 10th hole and took over. This was with pars on 16 and 17. So that tells you how bad the other holes were. I had a Kevin Na hole.

My last round, I managed a 96 in my last round at The Pointe Golf Club in OBX. I started the day with a +2 and a +5 on the first 2 holes. The second hole, I found a green side bunker, came up short trying to get out of the bunker and then rolled it into a bunker on the other side of the green. I thought for sure that I was going to be in for a very long day, especially with the driver barely going 200 and irons playing 2+ clubs short. I ended up closing the front out with a 54, but quickly started the back with a Par, Par, 3 putt double. My driver started coming around 230+, which wasn't good on a 230 yard par 4 12th. The tees were up and I carried the green. I had a shot at putting up a sub 40 back 9, but a short putt missed on 17 to save Par and a horrible slice on my second shot of 18 put that out of the picture. I finished with a 42 on the back.

Overall I was happy with my play. Despite being short with most of my clubs, I wasn't really missing left/right, which kept me out of too much trouble when trying to get up and down. I would say by far this was my best day of playing from 50 yards in with 2 pins hit and leaving myself a shot at rolling some in. I have got a few days on the range in this week and I am hoping to sneak out to get a round in this weekend.

side note...if the starter points out the 9th green and warns that most people bail out to the right/deep because they forget just how close the water is, I'm going to land on the back of the green and watch the ball disappear. Luckily there was some nice tall weeds to save me from getting wet.

Nice job on the recovery. You can keep that in the brain that you can come back and play some golf the way it was meant to be. I hate it when I'm going back and forth on or near a green. It is pure hair pulling out time. If I thought it would grow back, I would have done it on #5 yesterday. I'll try and post the round up so you can see the overhead of ping pong golf.

Is their any reason why your irons were short that day?

Your putting is legit!

It has been getting better and better. I posted this in the past but I'll remind everyone that I don't count fringe putts as a putt. Neither does the Game Golf stats. It has to draw a line somewhere and that is a putt is only from the green. I've used my putter 200 yards away from a hole before when under a spruce canopy of trees. I actually hit it (badly) so hard that it spun the grip. The last round I used the putter 3 times just off the green so they just count as strokes but not actual putts per hole. I think I found two new secret weapons around the greens that might come in handy for anyone. One method was from a local guy that has been playing for years and is steady in every facet of the game. He uses a 3 wood when he is on the fringe that has a couple of feet before meeting the actual green. Use that 3 wood with the same stroke as you would putt. The ball takes a little jump and hops across the fringe and settles in nicely when on the green. I tried it on the practice green and it works much better than trying to putt across 5 feet of fringe that might lead up to a green. The 3 wood worked much better for me than my 3 and 4 hybrid. Another method was with playing with a guy last night at a somewhat local course that would come in handy when I'm in that dreaded position on our #5 hole. If you try to carry the green and it rolls to the right side, or if you happen to hit it up that bank on the right and the ball rolls down, it sits right in a position where you can't take a club back to make a stroke. My mallet putter is clumbersome when used in any higher grass with a back swing of only a couple of inches before hitting the steep banking. This guy was shown by a pro down south of using the blade of your wedge as your putter. I will be practicing that shot for those times when I'm in a spot where I'm not supposed to be.

You guys are putting up some pretty good numbers, in my opinion.
SRX: keep chipping away at it (pun fully intended), you'l be breaking 90 in no time.
mmartinez27: a solid back nine there. seems like you got some tweaks done mid-round, and it paid off.
cg1013: I'd be ecstatic for 3 rounds in the 90's in a row. Keep plugging away, you'll be there.

I'm told that it is supposed to rain today for my lesson. I might just load the wedges and putter in a Sunday bag and demand the lesson anyway. At least I'll get the chance of seeing his expression on his face. Nobody likes getting wet. :alien2:

Yeah, I agree, putting seems to be a strong point for him.

Some little things that I've changed. Less aggressive mentality has me putting from 30 feet away many times and my miss is a foot or two, elbows tucked in, a few little practice swings to relieve some tension, square gripped Super Stroke, lifting the putter ever so slightly off the green. I have also paid a little better attention to actually reading the green. What I am bad at is marking my ball and cleaning it. About the only time that is done is when I'm playing with a group and my ball might be in their line. I have found lately when teeing it up for the driver, it is all ball showing with no marks. I might just add that to the green so it is just me, the club, and ball with no other distractions.

SRX, do you use a software to keep track of your shots/stats?

Game Golf keeps track of everything and a new feature is it tells you where you need to practice. I will give you the web address of my Game Golf stuff. I set it to public viewing so take a look around. It might behave differently on your end than what I see when logged in. I'll try and take some screen shots to show what kind of information has been building with every round. It ranks right up there with best golf investments I've made. The other being proper lessons with someone that knows what the hell they are doing because I sure don't at times.

Hitting the green and leaving myself a 66 ft putt doesn't help matters. That's almost a guaranteed 3 putt unless you get super lucky with the lag putt. I left myself with an 8 footer and missed it by a little. Well, 8 footers aren't easy even for pros.

I need to practice hitting long irons off tees. There are a few holes I need them. But I don't really know why, because with the injuries I've had this winter I've lost some distance. It's really hurting with my tee shots.

I shot 45 on the front today, but 58 on the back. Some ugly b**** showed up on the 10th hole and took over. This was with pars on 16 and 17. So that tells you how bad the other holes were. I had a Kevin Na hole.

Good luck with the injuries! They sure do make you hit a club or two off. I'm probably two clubs weaker than most of the guys I play with at work. Come to think of it, I'm about 15 or 20 years older too.

Attachments

• Capture6.jpg
    Capture6.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture 1.jpg
    Capture 1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture3.jpg
    Capture3.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture4.jpg
    Capture4.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture5.JPG
    Capture5.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here is my latest 9 hole round that you should be able to go hole by hole. This was going to be a 18 hole round but a foursome of ladies two holes ahead were painfully slow. I stopped for 20 minutes after putting out on 9 to take a drink and a little granola bar snack. There were still screwing around talking on #10 tee box so I turned around.

Check out #5's action!

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/srx700xxx/round/891528

One hole in particular shows what we are all trying to overcome to lower these scores. Sometimes those decisions on the course are not the best and this hole shows why. I shot a 46 which is great for me and I should go home and be happy. I'm not because of a quad bogey on hole #5. Hardest hole on the course has you hitting up hill onto a somewhat level area on the fairway. Next up is the smallest green on the course with a steep bank on the right and backside, steep greenside bunker on the left, and a sloping left green that has seen thousands of putts roll off into the high rough/fringe meeting point if you are lucky. Others roll over the bank and then it's 60 to 64 degree wedge time and try that putt routine all over again if you are lucky.

Hole #5, 336 yard Par 4, uphill
Drive: 200 yard drive pushed into the rough just off the fairway. 150 yards out, I'm thinking my 150 yard club might come up a little short in this rough so this baby is mine.
5 iron: Fat shot pushed right 116 yards 2 feet into the woods, ball is laying on leaves in an impression about the size of a basketball with clumpy grass mound 5 inches ahead. Backswing is limited to only about 2 feet with bush behind me. Tree canopy above me and a mountain wall cutting my line to that small green about 35 yards away. Now comes the worst part, the ball is sitting at belt buckle height.

I'll tell you what I should have done is tap it directly down the hill to some better ground. Then look at getting on the green in 4 and getting out of there with a 6 if I'm hitting my putting average.

What happened was a debacle. I took a gap wedge and did a little flick shot with the limited backswing and uneven ground. The ball hit the clump of grass and went 2 yards downhill. It is sitting on a dirt impression that is harder than a rock. I tried another little flick and it came out like a rocket past the green and over the bank. Know I got a lob wedge in my hand and my golf spikes are doing everything they can to hold me up. Out comes a little fast flick with the club stopping right at the ball. Out comes a rocket past the flag and I'm in the rough but on better ground. The guy that can't chip then decides to try a mini flop shot on the high side of the green and have it trickle into the cup. Mid swing I changed my mind and altered my swing to at the cup. The flop part worked but it had not enough green to trickle and rolled onto the rough/fringe point. Next up was a mallet putter flick putt at about a 45 degree angle that was 4 feet off. I'm on the green finally but this 4 footer was no easy tack. Sidehill with a ton of break. Love-tapped it in so my stats say I got a one putt. Yeah!

Think of how many times this happens in a round where shots are thrown away just like that. I don't have the game right now to birdie my way back.

Attachments

• Capture6.jpg
    Capture6.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ahhhh, the classic "I should have just...." Trust me, I've said it scores of times.

Here is my latest 9 hole round that you should be able to go hole by hole. This was going to be a 18 hole round but a foursome of ladies two holes ahead were painfully slow. I stopped for 20 minutes after putting out on 9 to take a drink and a little granola bar snack. There were still screwing around talking on #10 tee box so I turned around.

Check out #5's action!

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/srx700xxx/round/891528

One hole in particular shows what we are all trying to overcome to lower these scores. Sometimes those decisions on the course are not the best and this hole shows why. I shot a 46 which is great for me and I should go home and be happy. I'm not because of a quad bogey on hole #5. Hardest hole on the course has you hitting up hill onto a somewhat level area on the fairway. Next up is the smallest green on the course with a steep bank on the right and backside, steep greenside bunker on the left, and a sloping left green that has seen thousands of putts roll off into the high rough/fringe meeting point if you are lucky. Others roll over the bank and then it's 60 to 64 degree wedge time and try that putt routine all over again if you are lucky.

Hole #5, 336 yard Par 4, uphill
Drive: 200 yard drive pushed into the rough just off the fairway. 150 yards out, I'm thinking my 150 yard club might come up a little short in this rough so this baby is mine.
5 iron: Fat shot pushed right 116 yards 2 feet into the woods, ball is laying on leaves in an impression about the size of a basketball with clumpy grass mound 5 inches ahead. Backswing is limited to only about 2 feet with bush behind me. Tree canopy above me and a mountain wall cutting my line to that small green about 35 yards away. Now comes the worst part, the ball is sitting at belt buckle height.

I'll tell you what I should have done is tap it directly down the hill to some better ground. Then look at getting on the green in 4 and getting out of there with a 6 if I'm hitting my putting average.

What happened was a debacle. I took a gap wedge and did a little flick shot with the limited backswing and uneven ground. The ball hit the clump of grass and went 2 yards downhill. It is sitting on a dirt impression that is harder than a rock. I tried another little flick and it came out like a rocket past the green and over the bank. Know I got a lob wedge in my hand and my golf spikes are doing everything they can to hold me up. Out comes a little fast flick with the club stopping right at the ball. Out comes a rocket past the flag and I'm in the rough but on better ground. The guy that can't chip then decides to try a mini flop shot on the high side of the green and have it trickle into the cup. Mid swing I changed my mind and altered my swing to at the cup. The flop part worked but it had not enough green to trickle and rolled onto the rough/fringe point. Next up was a mallet putter flick putt at about a 45 degree angle that was 4 feet off. I'm on the green finally but this 4 footer was no easy tack. Sidehill with a ton of break. Love-tapped it in so my stats say I got a one putt. Yeah!

Think of how many times this happens in a round where shots are thrown away just like that. I don't have the game right now to birdie my way back.

This is really slick! Looks like a nice course but must tough with mosquitoes during the heat of the summer.

This is really slick! Looks like a nice course but must tough with mosquitoes during the heat of the summer.

It is not a bad course. The greens and fairways are always in tip top shape. They do like to grow the grass pretty thick in spots that seem to attract the less experienced folks. I chunked one bad on #7 today with a 7 iron. I just couldn't muscle my way through it.

I have never had problems with mosquitoes over there. The river banks are sprayed by helicopters from time to time. A lot of chipmunks, squirrels (furry kind), a few snakes here and there with an occasional bald eagle sighting. Never been bitten by any. :D

I shot a 44 today (+9) on the front and I hurried the last two holes because of dark clouds moving in. It never materialized so I just practiced some stuff on a few holes close to the clubhouse. Number 5 got me again today with 3 attempts at getting on the green with a lob wedge. I was probably only 15 yards out when it all started to unwind. My driving let me down also. I was hitting them far but I put myself out of position too many times so I had to play for bogey. Out of 6 drives, 1 was dead center, 4 were major league pulls, and the other was a weak slice. I did get to use my 3 wood for a putter when I had to go over 6 feet of fringe and a few feet of green. I put it a foot away so that made me happy.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/srx700xxx/round/893877

Another close try. 51/55-106 total. Lost some shot on the green today. 40 putts was too much. Also was in several bunkers. Three times I had to take two shots out. But overall there was a lot to be pleased with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting closer. 54/49-103. A snowman on 18 spoiled it.

Getting closer. 54/49-103. A snowman on 18 spoiled it.

D'Oh!!! I really, really hate when I blow up on the last hole or two. Just let me get an opening 8, then 7 and I can get on my way to enjoying the round, lol.

Finally found the thread where I can relate!! New to the site and just freshly back into the golf game after a hiatus lasting 10+ years. Have been going out with co-workers once or twice a week for a quick 9 and must say I played my best round of the year last night shooting a 43. I left the driver in the bag for most of the night and actually just hit off the tee with my 3 iron. (I tend to hit my irons straight, may not be in the exact direction I want but...)Not an overly difficult course, but finally seeing some improvements in ball striking and chipping so I'm overly happy currently. I'll come back and post next week when things blow up and I shoot a 53 but ya know...

Finally found the thread where I can relate!! New to the site and just freshly back into the golf game after a hiatus lasting 10+ years. Have been going out with co-workers once or twice a week for a quick 9 and must say I played my best round of the year last night shooting a 43. I left the driver in the bag for most of the night and actually just hit off the tee with my 3 iron. (I tend to hit my irons straight, may not be in the exact direction I want but...)Not an overly difficult course, but finally seeing some improvements in ball striking and chipping so I'm overly happy currently. I'll come back and post next week when things blow up and I shoot a 53 but ya know...
We are a welcoming bunch in here! And, shooting a 53 is pretty average for me. I really did myself a disservice last time out when I kept stupidly pulling the driver out. Oh well, there's always this weekend. And I am foreseeing a great round! (I'll give an actual result of said round on Monday. LOL)

Yesterday I played 36 holes and I did play my best round of the year. Bogey two last hole on first round and made a total of 99. Driver was so solid. Straight and in fairway. Could have been better as I had 42 putts. Next round was 101. Only 36 putts, but driver was not that good.

Well, the next round being great I mentioned above, was not so great. Shot a 101. No one club let me down, it was problems all around, from driving to putting. I played again Sunday morning, and posted a 111. Same story. went out for nine later that day, and shot a 48 on a short course. Ball striking was a good bit better. I may have figured out something with the swing.

I just gotta keep grinding.

Haven't posted in here in a while, but finally getting to the place where breaking 100 is a realistic possibility.
Went out Saturday morning for 18 on a shorter par 65 course (66.1/95). Started out kinda slow with a 53 on the front but got a little better on the back with a 47 to reach that magical 100 (+35).
Went back out Sunday morning with the intent of playing another 18, but ran out of time and only completed the front 9 of a par 71 (65.8/104) course that I've played a couple times before. Ended up with a 49 (+13) which is 8 shots better than my previous best on that 9.
The game still has plenty of room for improvement and a need for increased consistency, but I am seeing some decent signs.
I'm REALLY hopeful of meeting my goal of consistently breaking 100 before this golf season comes to a close.

Haven't posted in here in a while, but finally getting to the place where breaking 100 is a realistic possibility.
Went out Saturday morning for 18 on a shorter par 65 course (66.1/95). Started out kinda slow with a 53 on the front but got a little better on the back with a 47 to reach that magical 100 (+35).
Went back out Sunday morning with the intent of playing another 18, but ran out of time and only completed the front 9 of a par 71 (65.8/104) course that I've played a couple times before. Ended up with a 49 (+13) which is 8 shots better than my previous best on that 9.
The game still has plenty of room for improvement and a need for increased consistency, but I am seeing some decent signs.
I'm REALLY hopeful of meeting my goal of consistently breaking 100 before this golf season comes to a close.

Well done. You'll get there. Best wishes

Just keep grinding and evaluating what you did right, and where you could do better. Always remember, for high cappers like us, the middle of the fairway and green is good enough. Math is on our side. If you hit any club in your bag a consistent 150 straight, and you hit it 3 times, you are on (or over, lol) the green on about 85% of all par 4's. Then it's just a nice lag putt to 2 feet and a tap in for your bogey. Easy! Now you look at my magic formula of 5 shots per hole = 90, and you are looking for the "Breaking 90" thread!

53/53 today. Four three jacks. Went 10/14 FIR but my iron and hybrid play was bad. Six topped shots, and a couple fat ones really put me behind the eight ball on most holes today. Never thought I'd see the day when driver wasn't my problem.

Deuce, I feel you. I put myself into situations where I knew it was a 3 shot blunder.

I was in a mandatory 3 days off from golf. Actually it was because of work because of leaving for work in the dark and arriving home when it is just about time for the street lights to come on. I would have been golfing if I could. Yesterday a guy I work with ask me if I wanted to play a somewhat local course that I have never played on. We are gearing up for a challenge match (Ryder Cup) in the coming weeks against two guys on an adjacent line. Stroke play Captain n' Crew all the way to the cup. I felt all tensed up from the start with all the new surroundings and hit some atrocious shots here and there. My driver swing is killing me off the tee and I must have punched out of the woods at least 7 times and tried playing for bogey or double. I even had to hit my sand wedge 3 times left handed because the ball was laying right next to the tree. Just bad luck all around. I got a good deal on a Scotty Cameron putter the other day from the Pro Shop and this was my first 18 hole outing with it. I can say putting was not one of my strong suits yesterday at this course. New course and new putter were not in sync. Here is a little way things went. A 135 yard par 3 playing 148 yards. I hit my tee ball about 5 yards short of the green. I decide to skip my usual 60 degree shot and use my newfound chip from the lesson a week ago. I chip it up the false front and past the hole about 15 feet but on the green. I'm thinking two putt for this budding bogey golfer and move on. I blew the slight downhill putt past about 10 feet. I then totally misread or mishit the next so I was 3 feet away. Throw in a putter scuff on one attempt that went astray. I proceeded to blow the ball over the edge of the cup a few more times to end up with an 8 with 6 putts. No running around the rim which surprised me with all the troubles going on. 6 putts, Ouch! :angry::at-wits-end::beat-up::bulgy-eyes::bomb:I've never 6 putted in my entire two year golf career. I even had a 10 on one par 5 that had the errant drive into the woods, two failed chip outs (I counted the complete miss-divot 1 foot behind ball :banghead:), a few fat shots, and of course the putting woes when finally getting to that real estate. Another hole had about 170 yards over water off the tee. I new this would be trouble with how I was hitting. Sure enough a skyball showed up and splashed down. The drop with a 3 hybrid skipped about 5 times before submerging. So I got out of there with a 102 with all the horrid stuff going on. I decided to play another 18 and my bud did 9 before leaving. I seemed to play much better from the tee box to the green this time around but missed so damn many short putts. I ended up with a 103. I think this course will be on one of our Ryder Cup events so I will be sneaking off to get a better feel for the place. I would show the Game Golf round but the course apparently has never been mapped and what a nightmare trying to edit the round with tee boxes and greens not lined up with my putting. I know it was bad but come on. lol Halfway through I deleted the round but kept the other to be used by Game Golf support to get everything where it should be.

I took an hour ride home and stopped by the home course to get my last hits in before darkness. Started off with big high weak slice behind a tree. Here we go again. Chip out into fairway and then it was game on. Bogey, Birdie, Even, Double, Even :banana:, then I gassed out with Triple, Triple, Triple, Double :angry:to end it with a 48. Then it was off to the practice green for chipping. We will see what today brings. :D

Well, didn't shoot 53 like I had thought, actually shot 44 this week on the local 9 I play with guys from work. Holes 1-6 it seemed like I had found my stroke playing those at +2, then I dropped 6 strokes on the last 3 holes going double/double/double. I got in my own head by looking at my scorecard and realizing I had a chance to break 40, which would have been a PB for myself. Hit into the woods on 7 having to pitch out and then chunked the approach. 8 was a par 3 that I hit left, then bladed my first chip, ugh! 9 I put the driver away and brought out a 3w which put me 80 yards from the green. Pitched in the sand, and then proceeded to 3 putt my way home :angry: :angry:.

On vaca next week so hope to get a couple full rounds in with more time available.

I was in a mandatory 3 days off from golf. Actually it was because of work because of leaving for work in the dark and arriving home when it is just about time for the street lights to come on. I would have been golfing if I could. Yesterday a guy I work with ask me if I wanted to play a somewhat local course that I have never played on. We are gearing up for a challenge match (Ryder Cup) in the coming weeks against two guys on an adjacent line. Stroke play Captain n' Crew all the way to the cup. I felt all tensed up from the start with all the new surroundings and hit some atrocious shots here and there. My driver swing is killing me off the tee and I must have punched out of the woods at least 7 times and tried playing for bogey or double. I even had to hit my sand wedge 3 times left handed because the ball was laying right next to the tree. Just bad luck all around. I got a good deal on a Scotty Cameron putter the other day from the Pro Shop and this was my first 18 hole outing with it. I can say putting was not one of my strong suits yesterday at this course. New course and new putter were not in sync. Here is a little way things went. A 135 yard par 3 playing 148 yards. I hit my tee ball about 5 yards short of the green. I decide to skip my usual 60 degree shot and use my newfound chip from the lesson a week ago. I chip it up the false front and past the hole about 15 feet but on the green. I'm thinking two putt for this budding bogey golfer and move on. I blew the slight downhill putt past about 10 feet. I then totally misread or mishit the next so I was 3 feet away. Throw in a putter scuff on one attempt that went astray. I proceeded to blow the ball over the edge of the cup a few more times to end up with an 8 with 6 putts. No running around the rim which surprised me with all the troubles going on. 6 putts, Ouch! :angry::at-wits-end::beat-up::bulgy-eyes::bomb:I've never 6 putted in my entire two year golf career. I even had a 10 on one par 5 that had the errant drive into the woods, two failed chip outs (I counted the complete miss-divot 1 foot behind ball :banghead:), a few fat shots, and of course the putting woes when finally getting to that real estate. Another hole had about 170 yards over water off the tee. I new this would be trouble with how I was hitting. Sure enough a skyball showed up and splashed down. The drop with a 3 hybrid skipped about 5 times before submerging. So I got out of there with a 102 with all the horrid stuff going on. I decided to play another 18 and my bud did 9 before leaving. I seemed to play much better from the tee box to the green this time around but missed so damn many short putts. I ended up with a 103. I think this course will be on one of our Ryder Cup events so I will be sneaking off to get a better feel for the place. I would show the Game Golf round but the course apparently has never been mapped and what a nightmare trying to edit the round with tee boxes and greens not lined up with my putting. I know it was bad but come on. lol Halfway through I deleted the round but kept the other to be used by Game Golf support to get everything where it should be.

I took an hour ride home and stopped by the home course to get my last hits in before darkness. Started off with big high weak slice behind a tree. Here we go again. Chip out into fairway and then it was game on. Bogey, Birdie, Even, Double, Even :banana:, then I gassed out with Triple, Triple, Triple, Double :angry:to end it with a 48. Then it was off to the practice green for chipping. We will see what today brings. :D

All that trouble and you still carded a 102 & 103 respectively? Hell, you had a couple of good rounds!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back