Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got 9 in tonight, not good, not bad.
Hit 4 fairways, 1 green. Shot 45.
Putted pretty decent.

There's hope. What seems to be difficult is avoiding blowup holes.
You're pushing ... that's never a good thing. Trust me, I've been there. Play a couple practice rounds without keeping score. A friend of mine told me that if I could play another ball after my actual swing, I'd be a scratch golfer ... that tells me I need to relax. Ten to one, you do too. It'll come, if you let it.

I know all about it Annhl8rx, we all know all about it, it's a very difficult time in a golfers progression, but course management and eliminating the big number is a crucial part of the journey.

It's also hard watching hackers have better holes, even though their total score is worse they enjoy some luck and it's tough for the guy keeping things in check to see that guy make par or even birdie.

But if you're on the cusp of breaking 100 then you probably just have to do one thing a little better, identify that one thing and put all your effort in and watch that regular 105 become a 95 in no time.

You preacheth the truth!!

Well, followed up my 99 with a 104, and a 101. A bit disappointed in myself, because I hit some really bad shots, and made some dumb decisions. Could have (should have) easily broken into the 90's. BUT, I'm playing better, and trending downward. Had a length adjustment done to a putter I used this weekend, so I'm m hoping that will result in a few save strokes. Also did a bit of on-course swing adjustment that seemed to help on mis-hits. Onward, and downward!!

Keep grinding brother. You keep playing as much as it looks, and those scores will start to drop.

After some good rounds I tried to perform again. 52/53 total 105 was some disappointing. Driver was sliced on three holes and at least one penalty as I found water hazard. Wished I brought my 3w with me , but I didn't. Iron play was weak. Putting was good on front 9, but faded on back 9. But my bunker play was really good, so that is something to be happy with. My iron play is not where I want it to be , so I will have to visit the club pro for some instruction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After some good rounds I tried to perform again. 52/53 total 105 was some disappointing. Driver was sliced on three holes and at least one penalty as I found water hazard. Wished I brought my 3w with me , but I didn't. Iron play was weak. Putting was good on front 9, but faded on back 9. But my bunker play was really good, so that is something to be happy with. My iron play is not where I want it to be , so I will have to visit the club pro for some instruction.

Be very happy with good bunker play, it is doom for me anytime I am in the sand.

Keep grinding brother. You keep playing as much as it looks, and those scores will start to drop.
IndySC, I am feeling it. The game is getting tighter and tighter as the rounds pile up.

Gonna try again tonight....
Hopefully
you'll do fine. Just relax, play smart, and don't be afraid to give a club "time out" if it is misbehaving.

Played a quick 9 last night, didn't keep score. I don't know if I wasn't in it mentally or what, but it was UGLY. Probably only hit 2 decent shots the whole time. Here's to hoping I got that out of my system before the weekend...

Played a quick 9 last night, didn't keep score. I don't know if I wasn't in it mentally or what, but it was UGLY. Probably only hit 2 decent shots the whole time. Here's to hoping I got that out of my system before the weekend...
jmac, sometimes it just isn't there, ya know? Chalk it up, let it go, and play great the next time out.

I decided this season to not go for official handicaps while it was early season reporting or when I was playing hurt. Ok, I'm going through a little swing change but decided a few weeks ago to make June my official start. I even took the slope attachment off my laser rangefinder and left that piece in the trunk. Did a 14 club count and we are ready to play some official golf. I even dug into my stash of Maxfli Tour balls for this occasion. No 2 piece balls for this round. I had the best intentions of doing it early yesterday but things turned sour in a hurry. I tee'd the ball up and was ready to hit the driver but took it back to the cart for something else. I zinged a beautiful 3 wood draw up and around the trees on the left side of #1. I'm thinking this is going to be a good day. The pin was at the front and I'm telling myself not to go long on the two tiered green. I changed clubs and took a little look up at the sky and then it hit me. I was seeing spots and then proceeded to clank one short of the green and to the right. A chip/pitch attempt landed short and I'm putting on the fringe about 5 yards away. I left it 1 inch away and got out with a bogey. I was feeling really weird because it was like I was going through the motions but had no idea what I was hitting at. Talk about feeling woozy! Two doubles later and I'm teeing off on a par 3. I hit it somewhere but had no clue and felt I needed to lay down for awhile and shake this off. I sat in the golf cart in a shady spot but things were off. Put the stuff in the car and got rid of the cart. Slept about an hour in the car with all the window down before I made the 1.5 mile trek home. More hours of rest then decided to try again before darkness set it.

Still felt off as I was taking some practice swings but it was go time. I've got two days of golf then two more days of work then it's two weeks of playtime. I mixed it up this time out by not using the driver at all and trying to play 18 holes of smart golf off from the ladies tees. Yeah, ladies tee and smart golf. This will be a joke in a couple of holes. I told myself not to try and bomb away and try for some placement golf. Don't hit where you know it will be on an extreme uphill lie with a 3 wood or 3 hybrid. Or getting out of position with trees and rough that swallows up the ball. Purposely lofting up and hitting short to give the second shots a chance with the best ground this course has to give. Some of these holes it is so tempting to just wail away but I've tried that in the past and found the woods, water, and at the base of a lone tree looking for some company. Stupid stuff and they add up quick. Something must have been off because I was on fire with the 3 wood off the tee. I'm not confident enough to try it off the deck, yet! Might take a whack if it sits up in the rough. I had one blowup hole and it was a par 3 of all things. Skulled tee ball over the green, skulled lob wedge back over the green into a sand bunker. Two times getting it out of the sand and still in the rough. A decent chip to about 5 feet then misread the break and had a 1 footer for a paltry 7 on a par 3 of all things. Don't do this crap!!!

Oh, I officially scored an 83. That included 57% fairways, 50% greens in regulation, 11% scrambling, and 1.79 putts per hole. I 3 putted one hole with a beautiful 42 ft. major downhill breaker that left me 4 feet short. I then gave it a little overtap and missed the cup by an 1/8 inch and ran it 4 feet. The other 3 putt hole started 8 feet away and I proceeded to scuff the putter bad and it squirted off to the right 5 feet away. Boy was I fuming on that one. I then missed a no break 5 foot putt by two feet. I was about to blow a gasket.

I need to play the red and gold tees a few more times. I'm using those other clubs in the bag and for once actually was thinking about where to hit the ball. lol

Sure is a crazy game.

I decided this season to not go for official handicaps while it was early season reporting or when I was playing hurt. Ok, I'm going through a little swing change but decided a few weeks ago to make June my official start. I even took the slope attachment off my laser rangefinder and left that piece in the trunk. Did a 14 club count and we are ready to play some official golf. I even dug into my stash of Maxfli Tour balls for this occasion. No 2 piece balls for this round. I had the best intentions of doing it early yesterday but things turned sour in a hurry. I tee'd the ball up and was ready to hit the driver but took it back to the cart for something else. I zinged a beautiful 3 wood draw up and around the trees on the left side of #1. I'm thinking this is going to be a good day. The pin was at the front and I'm telling myself not to go long on the two tiered green. I changed clubs and took a little look up at the sky and then it hit me. I was seeing spots and then proceeded to clank one short of the green and to the right. A chip/pitch attempt landed short and I'm putting on the fringe about 5 yards away. I left it 1 inch away and got out with a bogey. I was feeling really weird because it was like I was going through the motions but had no idea what I was hitting at. Talk about feeling woozy! Two doubles later and I'm teeing off on a par 3. I hit it somewhere but had no clue and felt I needed to lay down for awhile and shake this off. I sat in the golf cart in a shady spot but things were off. Put the stuff in the car and got rid of the cart. Slept about an hour in the car with all the window down before I made the 1.5 mile trek home. More hours of rest then decided to try again before darkness set it.

Still felt off as I was taking some practice swings but it was go time. I've got two days of golf then two more days of work then it's two weeks of playtime. I mixed it up this time out by not using the driver at all and trying to play 18 holes of smart golf off from the ladies tees. Yeah, ladies tee and smart golf. This will be a joke in a couple of holes. I told myself not to try and bomb away and try for some placement golf. Don't hit where you know it will be on an extreme uphill lie with a 3 wood or 3 hybrid. Or getting out of position with trees and rough that swallows up the ball. Purposely lofting up and hitting short to give the second shots a chance with the best ground this course has to give. Some of these holes it is so tempting to just wail away but I've tried that in the past and found the woods, water, and at the base of a lone tree looking for some company. Stupid stuff and they add up quick. Something must have been off because I was on fire with the 3 wood off the tee. I'm not confident enough to try it off the deck, yet! Might take a whack if it sits up in the rough. I had one blowup hole and it was a par 3 of all things. Skulled tee ball over the green, skulled lob wedge back over the green into a sand bunker. Two times getting it out of the sand and still in the rough. A decent chip to about 5 feet then misread the break and had a 1 footer for a paltry 7 on a par 3 of all things. Don't do this crap!!!

Oh, I officially scored an 83. That included 57% fairways, 50% greens in regulation, 11% scrambling, and 1.79 putts per hole. I 3 putted one hole with a beautiful 42 ft. major downhill breaker that left me 4 feet short. I then gave it a little overtap and missed the cup by an 1/8 inch and ran it 4 feet. The other 3 putt hole started 8 feet away and I proceeded to scuff the putter bad and it squirted off to the right 5 feet away. Boy was I fuming on that one. I then missed a no break 5 foot putt by two feet. I was about to blow a gasket.

I need to play the red and gold tees a few more times. I'm using those other clubs in the bag and for once actually was thinking about where to hit the ball. lol

Sure is a crazy game.
Your ending quote says it all.

Your ending quote says it all.

Some days you have it (at least in our own little world) and some days you feel and play like a complete beginner. I hope the latter is behind me. I only got to practice today for 13 holes. I just had to take a crack at it on 13 from the white tees with the 3 wood just for laughs. You might know I scrubbed it behind the ball and it landed in the creek way down below. I just don't have enough umph for that combination of club and tee box. They sure look pretty while they are going out. :clapp: A driver usually ends up going away from the hole by 70 yards because my mind says I have to kill it and I'm about 250 out and trying to split two goalpost trees. It usually ends up corking them and you get to do it all over again. I just don't have that yardage off the deck to get there in 2. This hole usually is a round wrecker for me and I packed it in. It probably is the main reason I stay on the front 9 so much.

I talked with the club pro about my 83 and he was all smiles. I then let him in about being on the forward tees. I tried to enter them in the system at home but he told me it cannot be done for men from that location. Only the senior tees and back. So it was just a nice practice round but I can say I shot an 83. If the guys at work probe for more, then I'll tell the rest. :D I will try to remember to only go forward from the seniors if I want to try some different clubs out from the tees.

18 tomorrow, 18 on Sunday. Going to play smart, have fun, and put up some low numbers.

18 tomorrow, 18 on Sunday. Going to play smart, have fun, and put up some low numbers.

Now your talking. Enjoy!!!

Played indoors last night as a storm jacked up plans to go play at a par three course. All kinds of issues. I think a lot of it was due to the sim so I'm not sweating it too much. Need to get out on a grass course and see how things are.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

53/49 for a 102 this morning. I went 6/6/7 on the first three par 3s, and that's what sunk my round. Could clean up 33 putts a little bit too. Overall though, pretty happy with how I hit today.

Discovered something with my grip on the range warming up and hit the driver in play all day today, which is a game changer.

If I could just get rid of the meltdowns in my short game, I could break 100. My putting is fairly solid, my driver is getting better, but my irons and chipping need some serious work. My best for the year is 101, but my last 3 rounds have been 110, 116, and 109

472e3d7594c302244889fed7a660eb55.jpg

5740f2f68d92be6e84726f80ad623ee6.jpg

This is my custom signature

Went out and shot a 99 today, 50/49. One of the toughest courses I've played in a long time, but just scrambled my way out of some bad spots when I needed to today. Putted really well, which is what made the difference. Didn't do anything else great, just some good shots when I needed them.

Feels good though to break through that barrier. First time since I started keeping real scores and counting penalties.

Went out and shot a 99 today, 50/49. One of the toughest courses I've played in a long time, but just scrambled my way out of some bad spots when I needed to today. Putted really well, which is what made the difference. Didn't do anything else great, just some good shots when I needed them.

Feels good though to break through that barrier. First time since I started keeping real scores and counting penalties.

Congrats Sir on the first of what will no doubt be many sub 100 scores!

53/49 for a 102 this morning. I went 6/6/7 on the first three par 3s, and that's what sunk my round. Could clean up 33 putts a little bit too. Overall though, pretty happy with how I hit today.

Discovered something with my grip on the range warming up and hit the driver in play all day today, which is a game changer.
Wierd, isn't it? You don't have to punch out of trouble or spend an extra stroke just to get back to where you should have been in the first place. Fairway = good.

If I could just get rid of the meltdowns in my short game, I could break 100. My putting is fairly solid, my driver is getting better, but my irons and chipping need some serious work. My best for the year is 101, but my last 3 rounds have been 110, 116, and 109

472e3d7594c302244889fed7a660eb55.jpg

5740f2f68d92be6e84726f80ad623ee6.jpg

This is my custom signature
Lucan, over the last few rounds, I have been consciously trying to use only my 5-iron for any shots out of the rough (excepting the low punch outs, or short wedges to get out of jail), and I have seen a nice improvement in my ability to get the ball down the course with it. Maybe try that for a couple of rounds?

Way to go!! It makes it even better when you aren't lax on the rules (like yours truly).

945ce035317afffb655c2b9d1e0d8cd5.jpg

Had some help today breaking 100 with an eagle.
Too many mistakes leading to to many doubles and triples.
A few 3 putts in there as well.

Get those eliminated and I'll be in business!

Played 18 yesterday, shot a 55/50, played nine today, shot a 49. Still bleeding shots away with the putter, might have to go back to the old standby. I will say the new putter is getting better, but I think it needs more practice green time versus playing time.

The driver and 7-wood are coming nicely into line. Had a couple of wayward drives, but a majority were good solid pokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back