Trying to Break 100

I saw a guy at the range one time with a little PVC pipe gizmo he'd made It was a small T-fitting with pipes extending about 10 inches from the "leg" and "arms" of the fitting. He'd put the leg section pointing toward him, and just inside his left foot. He was using it to establish the best ball position for his driver. I need to use such an alignment tool myself.
Not a bad idea and cheaper than a lot of the tools you can buy out there. My old Callaway irons...I broke the 5 iron (head snapped off) and when I replaced it, I kept the old shaft in my car. My intent is to use at the range as some kind of alignment stick type of tool. May as well use it for something.....

Played twice this weekend on Amelia Island. Saturday we played "The Golf Club of Amelia Island" with a friend that is a member there and lives on the course.
We were just playing father/son game and I didn't really keep score because we were doing a lot of catching up . At the end of the round my friend who had been keeping score told me GFY, in a very friendly way. He said he hates to get beaten on his home course. I shot 41/46 to his 48/49. I knew I was playing well but that was surprising. I have to give at least some of the credit to his course that was in great shape but the greens were almost perfect and anything you hit on them stayed very close to where it landed unlike my home course in Georgia with the new greens that are still pretty hard.

Played 36 yesterday in on again/off again light rain.

First round: could not reconcile my new steeper downswing for iron play with a wider, shallower path for long clubs.
ugh

Second round: stopped thinking about it and just tried to set myself up to make contact

🤷‍♂️
I think a "nothing to lose" attitude will help me moving forward if I can find it early on.
When I was hitting driver yesterday at the range...got to talking to the guy next to me and he was working on his swing (irons)...we both came to the conclusion that we (as do many golfers) think way too much. He kept swinging away (I had run out of balls) while we talked and I pointed out that every shot he hit while we talked, was dead on, right at the target. Meaning, he was somewhat distracted in conversation, and not overthinking it. I told him he should hire me to follow him around and talk to him when he plays a round.

overthinking is a topic that's come up in this thread a lot recently. I think the "thinking" is good when you're working on something...and the practice is what you hope makes it all second nature/muscle memory...and then you don't have to "think" anymore. I had that issue a couple rounds ago...thinking too much after I hit a bad shot, which translated into me trying to engage my mind in every step of my swing for a while that round "Okay...that backswing doesn't feel right, etc". When I just said screw it and swung away, things went back to the natural swing and I hit some good balls. The next round, I worked on staying down on the ball more (I think I was a little too stiff in the first round) and things worked themselves out with the irons, wedges, etc.

When I was hitting driver yesterday at the range...got to talking to the guy next to me and he was working on his swing (irons)...we both came to the conclusion that we (as do many golfers) think way too much. He kept swinging away (I had run out of balls) while we talked and I pointed out that every shot he hit while we talked, was dead on, right at the target. Meaning, he was somewhat distracted in conversation, and not overthinking it. I told him he should hire me to follow him around and talk to him when he plays a round.

overthinking is a topic that's come up in this thread a lot recently. I think the "thinking" is good when you're working on something...and the practice is what you hope makes it all second nature/muscle memory...and then you don't have to "think" anymore. I had that issue a couple rounds ago...thinking too much after I hit a bad shot, which translated into me trying to engage my mind in every step of my swing for a while that round "Okay...that backswing doesn't feel right, etc". When I just said screw it and swung away, things went back to the natural swing and I hit some good balls. The next round, I worked on staying down on the ball more (I think I was a little too stiff in the first round) and things worked themselves out with the irons, wedges, etc.

Absolutely.
Overthinking will kill a round. At least it does for me.

The counterpart to this (I've found) is that over-thinking often leads to over-correction.
We all know what it's like to slice a shot off the tee and then hook one at the next tee box because you were "fixing" the prior hole's mistake.

My disparate rounds yesterday reflected over-thinking and over-correction during the first round, followed by a more relaxed approach with less thought and less reaction (over-correction) to mishits during the second.

The ability to shake off a mishit and stand over the next shot with a neutral (technically sound) approach is something I must improve.
I have that tendency to look for something that may have influenced the last mishit (maybe right hand was too strong or too weak in my grip) and then overdo the correction of the perceived problem thus causing a new and different mishit.
🙃

I think I'm learning from it though...
fingers crossed.

Played twice this weekend on Amelia Island. Saturday we played "The Golf Club of Amelia Island" with a friend that is a member there and lives on the course.
We were just playing father/son game and I didn't really keep score because we were doing a lot of catching up . At the end of the round my friend who had been keeping score told me GFY, in a very friendly way. He said he hates to get beaten on his home course. I shot 41/46 to his 48/49. I knew I was playing well but that was surprising. I have to give at least some of the credit to his course that was in great shape but the greens were almost perfect and anything you hit on them stayed very close to where it landed unlike my home course in Georgia with the new greens that are still pretty hard.
I played Oak Marsh up there a few times this Spring and I've been curious about those other courses.

Do you know if GC of Amelia Island is the same course as the one they call "Long Point?"

Or is GCAI part of the Ritz property while Long Point is part of Amelia Island Plantation?

I've wanted to play Long Point for some time now, and I'm trying to figure out if a weekend at one of the Omni or Ritz properties could enable that - as Long Point is "semi-private" but seems almost totally private as far as I can tell.

Congrats on the 87!!

The counterpart to this (I've found) is that over-thinking often leads to over-correction.
We all know what it's like to slice a shot off the tee and then hook one at the next tee box because you were "fixing" the prior hole's mistake.

My disparate rounds yesterday reflected over-thinking and over-correction during the first round, followed by a more relaxed approach with less thought and less reaction (over-correction) to mishits during the second.

I played Oak Marsh up there a few times this Spring and I've been curious about those other courses.

Do you know if GC of Amelia Island is the same course as the one they call "Long Point?"

Or is GCAI part of the Ritz property while Long Point is part of Amelia Island Plantation?

I've wanted to play Long Point for some time now, and I'm trying to figure out if a weekend at one of the Omni or Ritz properties could enable that - as Long Point is "semi-private" but seems almost totally private as far as I can tell.

Congrats on the 87!!
GCAI is at the Ritz. Oak Marsh and Long point are at the Omni. We stayed at the Omni and played Oak Marsh last Thursday.

Conventional wisdom dictates we "practice with a purpose"... to have something specific to work on. They say anything else is just whacking balls and doesn't help anyone improve. That may be accurate for most - I don't know. What I do know is that people - even experts - are wrong about **** all the time. I think taking the swing I use on the course and hitting balls with it off the course can be beneficial.

I'm not sure how much the practice is helping my game on the course. But I do know this, all the practice rounds has really strengthened my muscles to accommodate the golf swing. I started getting more serious about the game a couple years ago after I retired. Back then, I could not play a round of golf the day after I practiced. My muscles would wear down by the back nine. They would hurt more. I had a hard time finishing a round.

Now, I can go hit a bucket and play the next day with no problems at all. My muscles are stretched to that movement. No soreness at all. Just an aching back that would hurt whether or not I practiced. And I'm hitting longer than I was two years ago. My 7 iron was my 130-140 yard club. Now its my 150 yard club. My driver was between 200-220. With an occasional 230-240. Now its between 220-240. With an occasional 250-260. When we were locked down and I couldn't practice for several weeks, it did take a few practice sessions to get back to where I was as far as muscle memory and strength.

I shot 43 in my work league tonight with 2 birdies after shooting 45 last week. I had fun with the group of guys I was with, but scoring well by my standards makes it feel better after struggling so far this season.

I put the 3 wood strategy to work hitting it off 6 out of 7 par 4s/5s and finding the fairway 4 out of 6 times. The 2 misses were not far off the fairway and were in good lies.

Dave

I think I mentioned in this thread...been dealing with some various pains the last week or two. Hand pain has ramped up quite a bit. Working thru some supplements, aspercreme, etc...doing some various hand exercises to keep things loose. Anyway...I guess after not being able to play as much last year and then the further layoff from shoulder injury....and coming in hot this year with swing changes and hitting balls several times a week - maybe I should not have gone zero to sixty on all the practice! I'm working this week on taking a break...though, I won't lie, I got so itchy to get out of the house and swing the driver a bit more...I actually drove to the range last night. Then I sat there for a minute and talked myself out of it. hahaha. Sheeeesh.

Going to come up with a practice plan that will probably lay off the iron work (too much impact there)...I have the Cobra's pretty dialed in anyway - and thank god they are graphite or I'd be dead by now. Going to focus on short game and tee shots to keep impact down....come up with a plan to work x amount of hours per week going forward. I won't be hitting tonight either as I have plans so another forced night off....then we have some rain coming this week...so I think this is a good week to just not do the range. May play nine this weekend just to get some golf activity in (and that is a little easier on the body than swinging away at the range anyway). After that, will likely do a couple range sessions next week (maybe a small bucket of driver work followed by some chipping/putting) and then do the same with the 3 wood off the tee followed by a little more short game stuff. See how I feel.

I think partly I just need to manage pain as I age...partly I just went at this way too hard once I realized my shoulder was holding up okay....and I need to back off.

Too long, didn't read? getting older sucks. That is all.

I think I mentioned in this thread...been dealing with some various pains the last week or two. Hand pain has ramped up quite a bit. Working thru some supplements, aspercreme, etc...doing some various hand exercises to keep things loose. Anyway...I guess after not being able to play as much last year and then the further layoff from shoulder injury....and coming in hot this year with swing changes and hitting balls several times a week - maybe I should not have gone zero to sixty on all the practice! I'm working this week on taking a break...though, I won't lie, I got so itchy to get out of the house and swing the driver a bit more...I actually drove to the range last night. Then I sat there for a minute and talked myself out of it. hahaha. Sheeeesh.

Going to come up with a practice plan that will probably lay off the iron work (too much impact there)...I have the Cobra's pretty dialed in anyway - and thank god they are graphite or I'd be dead by now. Going to focus on short game and tee shots to keep impact down....come up with a plan to work x amount of hours per week going forward. I won't be hitting tonight either as I have plans so another forced night off....then we have some rain coming this week...so I think this is a good week to just not do the range. May play nine this weekend just to get some golf activity in (and that is a little easier on the body than swinging away at the range anyway). After that, will likely do a couple range sessions next week (maybe a small bucket of driver work followed by some chipping/putting) and then do the same with the 3 wood off the tee followed by a little more short game stuff. See how I feel.

I think partly I just need to manage pain as I age...partly I just went at this way too hard once I realized my shoulder was holding up okay....and I need to back off.

Too long, didn't read? getting older sucks. That is all.
Chipping and putting practice will ALWAYS pay dividends.

Chipping and putting practice will ALWAYS pay dividends.

My thought is that's a low impact way to practice, and to force me to practice short game...Like I said before...a couple years ago I practiced the hell out of short game and that was when I started breaking 100.....need to get that work in!

Because I'm dumb and have zero self control, apparently, I went to hit balls tonight. We'll see how the hands feel tomorrow. I went and got a Bionic glove and it felt nice and padded so that's a plus. I just hit a small bucket and hit driver only (no ground impact). That's probably my last session for the week, unless I make it out to chip and putt at some point. Anyway...further tweaking the Rogue Driver and trying to break that stallion. I tweaked it to +1 (11.5 degree) and the neutral lie setting. I am still working on it...but felt like I hit a lot of fairly square shots tonight. I had it on the draw setting to begin, and kept drawing/hooking way too much. Once I tossed it back to neutral, was hitting straight. Still trying to find my groove with it...but I think I'm close-ish. I hit a lot of balls that got out there decently to 200+...some carry, some with roll...but a lot of playable drives. I absolutely squared one up and clobbered it for a total drive of probably 250-ish (I could not tell if it rolled out to the 260-ish marker or came up short. So I'm being conservative in my guess. I think I'd have been more consistent if I'd slowed down a bit...I got into one of those hurried sessions a couple of times, then would force myself to back off, reset, and usually that's when I'd hit a really nice one.

So...I still can't quite figure out if I need to play it up in the stance as much as my old r9...figuring that part out...the setup. I feel like I need to have it a little back, maybe just an inch or two even...but maybe more. I'll get it lined up eventually. But when I get it right, I do like the feel and the flight. I tend to have low flight, and think the +1 will help me carry more without sacrificing much if any distance (based on the shots I squared up decently at +1...I should get more out of this driver than the old, for sure). I think I just need to practice. Like I said...I have been so hard core with the irons this year...some other clubs have probably faltered a bit due to lack of swings. I think the next couple weeks will keep at the long and short game (long obviously needs work, short is always good to polish up, and both are low impact) and just hit the irons when I'm playing....save the hands a bit for now. On the plus side - hands feel great right now.

I've commented recently about driver vs 3 wood vs hybrid and wrote yesterday about the success I had teeing off with 3 wood. I wanted to follow up on that post.

For me... I've been spraying driver everywhere. I don't have much confidence with a driver in my hand and am tired of searching for golf balls in the rough. I've been missing heel side this season and when I hit one deep in the heel, combined with a somewhat out-to-in path, the results are disastrous. I'll then get concerned about the gear effect slice and hit one way left or top it. It is a vicious cycle.

I used hybrid earlier in the season for a round and did ok, but it just went way too short. I add loft at impact and hybrid does not get me the distance I need. Trying to shoot bogey golf teeing off with hybrid would be impossible for me unless the short game was really on.

3 wood appears to be the right option for me currently. Reasons why:
  1. I get acceptable distance with it. My Monday round was 4/6 fairways with an average of ~ 192 yards with a long of 208 and a short of 172. My 2nd shots are par 4s were 9 iron, 7 iron, 8 iron, 21 hybrid. I can live with this. I'm giving up about 12-15 yards of distance versus the driver.
  2. I have a consistent shot shape. Most shots are ~ 1/2 fairway wide fades. I rarely hit it left. Shots will be either dead straight to about a full fairway of fade. If I am for the left side of the fairway I'll be in the short grass most of the time.
  3. The off the planet miss is not in play. The chance of hitting one OB is greatly reduced versus driver.
I have to imagine a lot of people in this thread struggle with driver. If you want to consider trying 3 wood out I would highly recommend hitting a teed up 3 wood extensively on the range before taking it to the course. The smaller club head and longish shaft brings topping into play. It'd be demoralizing to hit a top off the 1st tee with a lot of people watching.

I know I need to get back to hitting driver if I'm trying to optimize my game, but I'll be honest and say that I had a lot more fun the last time out than I've had any other time this season. The game is a lot more fun from the fairway. I refuse to bang my head into the wall because you're "supposed to hit driver".

Dave

I've commented recently about driver vs 3 wood vs hybrid and wrote yesterday about the success I had teeing off with 3 wood. I wanted to follow up on that post.

For me... I've been spraying driver everywhere. I don't have much confidence with a driver in my hand and am tired of searching for golf balls in the rough. I've been missing heel side this season and when I hit one deep in the heel, combined with a somewhat out-to-in path, the results are disastrous. I'll then get concerned about the gear effect slice and hit one way left or top it. It is a vicious cycle.

I used hybrid earlier in the season for a round and did ok, but it just went way too short. I add loft at impact and hybrid does not get me the distance I need. Trying to shoot bogey golf teeing off with hybrid would be impossible for me unless the short game was really on.

3 wood appears to be the right option for me currently. Reasons why:
  1. I get acceptable distance with it. My Monday round was 4/6 fairways with an average of ~ 192 yards with a long of 208 and a short of 172. My 2nd shots are par 4s were 9 iron, 7 iron, 8 iron, 21 hybrid. I can live with this. I'm giving up about 12-15 yards of distance versus the driver.
  2. I have a consistent shot shape. Most shots are ~ 1/2 fairway wide fades. I rarely hit it left. Shots will be either dead straight to about a full fairway of fade. If I am for the left side of the fairway I'll be in the short grass most of the time.
  3. The off the planet miss is not in play. The chance of hitting one OB is greatly reduced versus driver.
I have to imagine a lot of people in this thread struggle with driver. If you want to consider trying 3 wood out I would highly recommend hitting a teed up 3 wood extensively on the range before taking it to the course. The smaller club head and longish shaft brings topping into play. It'd be demoralizing to hit a top off the 1st tee with a lot of people watching.

I know I need to get back to hitting driver if I'm trying to optimize my game, but I'll be honest and say that I had a lot more fun the last time out than I've had any other time this season. The game is a lot more fun from the fairway. I refuse to bang my head into the wall because you're "supposed to hit driver".

Dave
I've been mixing up the tee shots more lately with the driver struggles I've had. I have been going 3 wood or even 5 wood at times off the tee and using driver on longer holes or more wide open fairways. Of course I'm breaking in a new driver now, which adds to the fun....

But looking at my SwingU app...and, I'm terrible about tracking shots with it...I mostly just use it for GPS and scorekeeping...I have tracked 3 drives with the 3 wood in the last few weeks, though...and distance on those three were 170, 186, 194 for a 186 average. VERY small sample size, I know...and I think if I worked on the club a bit and used it more often - and tracked it more often - I'd probably be more in the 185-195 range with it more often than not (I think the 170 was the outlier here...just as a 210 would be an outlier in the opposite direction).

With driver...I know if I can get this new one under control, I can do a lot better than 186 average. I haven't really started tracking the new driver shots as I'm working on it. But I know the last round I played with it (I've only used it twice, I think, now in game) I had a couple 200+ drives and I really think once I get it figured out I'll be getting it out there. With my r9 I think my average was 200-ish with a long of probably 230 in game. WIth this Rogue, when I connect, it flies. That said...strategy tells me until I figure it out...I should pick my spots with it. So I'll continue using the 3 wood probably half the time off the tee.

My plan is to try and start tracking more full swing shots throughout the bag as I get distances dialed in. With my bag fairly well overhauled this year (new hybrids/irons, new putter, new driver) I'm figuring a lot out......not to mention incorporating some swing changes....lot going on right now with the golf game o_O

My plan is to try and start tracking more full swing shots throughout the bag as I get distances dialed in. With my bag fairly well overhauled this year (new hybrids/irons, new putter, new driver) I'm figuring a lot out......not to mention incorporating some swing changes....lot going on right now with the golf game o_O

to piggy back off this comment about the bag overhaul....I've been looking hard into wedges as well....and going graphite shafts yet again here for graphite across the board.

I have narrowed it down to a couple of options I'm eyeing, for whenever I do pull the trigger.....curious if anyone has thoughts, anyone here uses any of these and can speak to experience, etc.

At Callaway, looking at the combo of:

Jaws MD5 Platinum Chrome 54* loft, 12* bounce, W grind with Project X Catalyst Black 80 Graphite
Sure Out 2 58* with UST Mamiya 65 (Sure Out 2) Graphite

I'm not opposed to going with the Jaws 58*….but the Callaway online wedge fitter questionnaire kept pushing me to the Sure Out (and hey...it's cheaper)

At Cleveland, looking at:

CBX2 54* with 12* bounce, S-shape sole, Rotex Precision Graphite Wedge Flex Shaft (D1.5 swing weight versus the D4 with steel shaft...)
CBX2 58* with 10* bounce, C-shape sole, same shaft (which equals a D2 swing weight versus a D4 steel shaft swing weight)

All things considered...I think both are great wedges, I think Cleveland may be better for high handicappers like the breaking 100 club, based on various reviews. Price difference with the above....the Callaway set would be $20 cheaper due to the Sure Out being a lower price than the typical wedge.

I'm not in a rush to do this...just researching and wondering if I could get a lot more out of the short game by upgrading from my topflite cheapie wedges.....short game is generally a stronger part of the game for me, I'd say, but wondering if I'm leaving some forgiveness and spin on the table by playing lesser quality...or will it even make much difference in the long run....WIth the Top Flite...I'll hit some beauties but feel like I am lacking in spin/bite at times. That maybe due to my technique and being a crap golfer, too. Ha. Wondering if something like the Cleveland (which is allegedly so forgiving) would help me avoid the occasional duffed shot or poor greenside contact (again...I'm usually pretty confident with the 58* around the green, but here and there....duds happen).

I have considered the possibility of switching up to a 56/60 setup as well, or even a 54/60...but I've carried a 50/54/58 setup generally. And with the Cobras...I think the PW/GW are 44/49 respectively.

Alternatively...I suppose I could search for the Cobra 54/58 to match the set. I haven't really looked into that yet. But not sure how easy it is to find them. May be that I'd have to go with the f9, though if I recall correctly , the f9 don't offer anything more than a 54*.

I don't mind those wedges being shorter/different from the f8's, by the way...just another option to consider. For me, I'm using all the f8 as more full swing clubs anyway, and the 54 and 58 I'd use for full swing at times (more the 54 than 58) but usually I'm going to be using those clubs in for closer approach as the PW/GW would cover me from a little further out.

Sorry for the ramble........but I'm avoiding work right now.....:p

I've been mixing up the tee shots more lately with the driver struggles I've had. I have been going 3 wood or even 5 wood at times off the tee and using driver on longer holes or more wide open fairways. Of course I'm breaking in a new driver now, which adds to the fun....

But looking at my SwingU app...and, I'm terrible about tracking shots with it...I mostly just use it for GPS and scorekeeping...I have tracked 3 drives with the 3 wood in the last few weeks, though...and distance on those three were 170, 186, 194 for a 186 average. VERY small sample size, I know...and I think if I worked on the club a bit and used it more often - and tracked it more often - I'd probably be more in the 185-195 range with it more often than not (I think the 170 was the outlier here...just as a 210 would be an outlier in the opposite direction).

With driver...I know if I can get this new one under control, I can do a lot better than 186 average. I haven't really started tracking the new driver shots as I'm working on it. But I know the last round I played with it (I've only used it twice, I think, now in game) I had a couple 200+ drives and I really think once I get it figured out I'll be getting it out there. With my r9 I think my average was 200-ish with a long of probably 230 in game. WIth this Rogue, when I connect, it flies. That said...strategy tells me until I figure it out...I should pick my spots with it. So I'll continue using the 3 wood probably half the time off the tee.

In your situation,I would do what I did last season. 1) use only one club for tee shots on par4/5 (preferably 5w or even a hybrid) 2) use same club as second shots on par5s 3) use limited amount of irons (6 and 8?) on approach shots 4) only two wedges (pw and sw)

This way you limit the variables and get the few confident clubs you can always fall back.

In your situation,I would do what I did last season. 1) use only one club for tee shots on par4/5 (preferably 5w or even a hybrid) 2) use same club as second shots on par5s 3) use limited amount of irons (6 and 8?) on approach shots 4) only two wedges (pw and sw)

This way you limit the variables and get the few confident clubs you can always fall back.

Good advice. as for limited irons...I am pretty confident in all the irons/wedges.

My issue right now is working on the tee game. I have rambled a lot on here, but to sum up - I'm coming off a year of not playing much (shoulder injury) and have been working on my swing in general. I'm pretty happy with where I'm at now on swing. Worked the heck out of the new irons and am happy (still learning the hybrids a bit, but getting there). So I need to put in the longer game practice now, which I've neglected. Obviously I'm in the breaking 100 thread, so I'm not saying I have it all figured out by any means (with the irons, wedges) but seeing big gains in striking. I'm not quite willing to bench the driver though I have definitely used it less. Right now I'm a little wild with all clubs Id use off the tee, again, neglect in practice after coming off a very long layoff...but I will put the work in and in-game, will definitely be strategic with what I'm playing off the tee, etc.

Definitely some stuff for me to think about here though!

to piggy back off this comment about the bag overhaul....I've been looking hard into wedges as well....and going graphite shafts yet again here for graphite across the board.

I have narrowed it down to a couple of options I'm eyeing, for whenever I do pull the trigger.....curious if anyone has thoughts, anyone here uses any of these and can speak to experience, etc.

Jaws MD5 Platinum Chrome 54* loft, 12* bounce, W grind with Project X Catalyst Black 80 Graphite

I'm not opposed to going with the Jaws 58*….but the Callaway online wedge fitter questionnaire kept pushing me to the Sure Out (and hey...it's cheaper)

CBX2 54* with 12* bounce, S-shape sole, Rotex Precision Graphite Wedge Flex Shaft (D1.5 swing weight versus the D4 with steel shaft...)
CBX2 58* with 10* bounce, C-shape sole, same shaft (which equals a D2 swing weight versus a D4 steel shaft swing weight)

All things considered...I think both are great wedges, I think Cleveland may be better for high handicappers like the breaking 100 club, based on various reviews. Price difference with the above....the Callaway set would be $20 cheaper due to the Sure Out being a lower price than the typical wedge.

I'm not in a rush to do this...just researching and wondering if I could get a lot more out of the short game by upgrading from my topflite cheapie wedges.....short game is generally a stronger part of the game for me, I'd say, but wondering if I'm leaving some forgiveness and spin on the table by playing lesser quality...or will it even make much difference in the long run....WIth the Top Flite...I'll hit some beauties but feel like I am lacking in spin/bite at times. That maybe due to my technique and being a crap golfer, too. Ha. Wondering if something like the Cleveland (which is allegedly so forgiving) would help me avoid the occasional duffed shot or poor greenside contact (again...I'm usually pretty confident with the 58* around the green, but here and there....duds happen).

I have considered the possibility of switching up to a 56/60 setup as well, or even a 54/60...but I've carried a 50/54/58 setup generally. And with the Cobras...I think the PW/GW are 44/49 respectively.

Alternatively...I suppose I could search for the Cobra 54/58 to match the set. I haven't really looked into that yet. But not sure how easy it is to find them. May be that I'd have to go with the f9, though if I recall correctly , the f9 don't offer anything more than a 54*.

I don't mind those wedges being shorter/different from the f8's, by the way...just another option to consider. For me, I'm using all the f8 as more full swing clubs anyway, and the 54 and 58 I'd use for full swing at times (more the 54 than 58) but usually I'm going to be using those clubs in for closer approach as the PW/GW would cover me from a little further out.

I doubt anything is wrong with the Top Flites. If you want to upgrade that works too, but I'm skeptical you'll see much difference. I'm using a Maltby 56 Glider, it cost me $40 and spins nicely. If you considered this option I don't know if it'd be available in graphite though without the price going up a fair amount.

20200629_181751_upd.jpg

Dave

I’d recommend the CBX2’s. I’ve only played one round with my 54* but it was miles better than my Hogan 58* at everything. I’m going to pick up a 58* CBX2 to match

I doubt anything is wrong with the Top Flites. If you want to upgrade that works too, but I'm skeptical you'll see much difference. I'm using a Maltby 56 Glider, it cost me $40 and spins nicely. If you considered this option I don't know if it'd be available in graphite though without the price going up a fair amount.

View attachment 8952523

Dave
good looking wedge...It looks like they only have 56/60 degree? I would lean 54/58. Like I said...I'm in no hurry on the wedges....just exploring options....I'll take my time most likely. THanks for the link man!

Update. Again...because....damn my sore hands....I went to the range tonight as I'd had a little positive results yesterday with driver. I got a medium bucket with the intent of hitting about 40 with driver, and 40 with 3W.

Driver started off rough. I was tinkering to get it figured out. And then.....:cool:

I figured out where to play it in the stance...ball needs to be about the width of the clubhead inside my front foot. I also figured out I was too "wristy" in my swing, and tried to keep the wrists a little more "locked" to a degree and make sure the head was coming thru square. I lost my way on that front...and I changed my grip to interlock, just to see if it'd help me stabilize. I have small hands and it's uncomfortable as hell...but it worked. THen I flipped back to overlap, keeping every other bit of the swing intact, and bang. Several in a row rolling out to 250-260. And it continued that way. Loving it.....knock on wood.

Also got in the groove with the 3W. Playing the ball about where the breast pocket would be on a shirt, so slightly more back than driver. And...bang. rolling out to 200ish.

Keeping same swing thoughts in mind with wrist, etc. Also read something about hitting fairway woods from Annika today...where she was talking about people trying to swing too hard with FW's....and that she swings about 60 percent. So I was kind of doing that with Driver and FW both...and I'll be damned. That Rogue is pretty forgiving and playing at 11.5 is fantastic for me...great trajectory and gets out there. Tomorrow will be an off day. May hit the range Friday. But I'm liking where things are going......

good looking wedge...It looks like they only have 56/60 degree? I would lean 54/58. Like I said...I'm in no hurry on the wedges....just exploring options....I'll take my time most likely. THanks for the link man!

They'd bend 2 degrees if you wanted. 2* loft bent weak = 2* more bounce = less offset.

If your Top Flites have milled grooves and the shafts fit you ok I doubt you'll see much difference with any OEM wedge. That said I love the Glider. It is much easier to hit than the Vokey.

The Maltby heads tend to be heavy. My Glider 56 with the Score shaft (fairly light when cut to wedge length) is 4g lighter total weight than my Vokey with True Temper AMT Black R300 (mid weight shaft).

Dave

They'd bend 2 degrees if you wanted. 2* loft bent weak = 2* more bounce = less offset.

If your Top Flites have milled grooves and the shafts fit you ok I doubt you'll see much difference with any OEM wedge. That said I love the Glider. It is much easier to hit than the Vokey.

The Maltby heads tend to be heavy. My Glider 56 with the Score shaft (fairly light when cut to wedge length) is 4g lighter total weight than my Vokey with True Temper AMT Black R300 (mid weight shaft).

Dave
Yeah I have spent some dough on the bag this year already....I will likely hold off on wedges...unless I just get an itchy trigger finger one day.... :) I do like new toys.

But figuring in the fact that I have now bought a new driver and putter and got the f8 irons from @Hamfist (at least those were used and I got a good price in my opinion!) I have dropped some cash this year on equipment.....luckily the new job I took in March pays better, but I am by no means a rich man!

So....I'll probably play the bag for now and see what kind of improvements I can get in striking/scoring as I keep practicing. The Top Flite wedges aren't terrible by any means. Could I benefit from any forgiveness the Clevelands offer? Maybe....maybe not....:unsure:

Back