Trying to Break 100

knocking on wood...but THINK I may have got the swing back a bit. With my round yesterday morning getting rained out...did a short range session yesterday evening and again today. Just hitting wedges and irons, pretty much. Working on "feel" and rhythm more than thinking about all the various things I need to do. Only thing I'm thinking about is where I play the ball in stance...then just trying to wipe my brain and feel a good practice swing and then repeat it. Also worked today with the 58 degree on the chipping green....it took me a sec to remember I need to swing thru the ball and not bail out on the swing...but then started hitting a lot of nice shots around the green. Pretty pleased overall. I need to get back out with the driver and fairway woods a bit. But feeling like whatever it was I was going thru is MAYBE over....knocking on wood as I type this. Hoping to get out for a round soon...but looks like a lot of rain chances this week.

Shot a terrible 100 on Friday, but my driver was aces. Chipping and putting, definitely rookie mistakes. Played today, no double bogies, and 5 pars through 9 holes. Shot a 34 on a par 30 and my driver was on fire. Three perfect strikes that rolled almost 250 yards. Love that Teem Touredge EXS220. Had two looks for birdie, but could not deliver.
sounds like an awesome recovery round. Wipe that 100 out of your head and keep shooting all those pars..... :)

I'm hoping to get my driver going again...last round I played stunk outside of like two well struck drives (in 9 holes). Then again, everything stunk that day outside of putter....

Remember this saying - “There’s no photos on the scorecard!” :cool:

There aren’t many amateur golfers who hit every shot perfectly (or even decently) - if they did, they wouldn’t be amateur golfers, they’d be out making money on the Tour.

Golf is hard.
I heard someone say something similar to that "photos" quote on sports radio earlier when I ran an errand. Listening to PGA one of the sports stations...and he said something like "the scorecard doesn't say how you did it, just that you did it." or something like that. Basically...went on to say there's only room to write down a 3 or 4 or whatever...not write "I hit a bad driver here and then my second shot was just okay but still left me in a good spot, etc"....just put down the result....there are many ways to get the result - just find a way to get the best result on that hole and move on.

Shot 52/50 for a 102, but really happy with the round. Started with three consecutive snowmen and thus shot 24 for the first 3 holes...then shot 78 the rest of the way, including 3 pars. If I had settled down a bit earlier, easily could have broken 100. Really need to figure out my 2nd shot/irons shots, but I did hit some good ones and really drove the ball well.

Looking forward to the next round!

Shot a 104 today, my first >100 round since the end of May. Nothing was working. Every club was short and right. Just couldn’t get comfortable over the ball. Oh well, there’s always next round

I heard someone say something similar to that "photos" quote on sports radio earlier when I ran an errand. Listening to PGA one of the sports stations...and he said something like "the scorecard doesn't say how you did it, just that you did it." or something like that. Basically...went on to say there's only room to write down a 3 or 4 or whatever...not write "I hit a bad driver here and then my second shot was just okay but still left me in a good spot, etc"....just put down the result....there are many ways to get the result - just find a way to get the best result on that hole and move on.
That's the long way of saying "Its not a Picaso, it's a score."

I've been playing around 100 for the last month. Yesterday I played 97, not quite happy as I made too many stupid mistakes costing me shot here and there. But nothing over triple bogeys, previous rounds I have been playing par-bogey-double and few severe blowout holes with ~10 shots. So, I was more consistent yesterday :oops::rolleyes::cautious:

Latest (and propably last) addition to bag will arrive today as F9 Speedback 3W head on the way. Driver will remain in the bag for now and I will check the distances between D<->3W and 3W<->5W. I will put the 3W HZRDUZ Smoke Yellow from 5W to 3W and dial 5W from 17 to 18.5 (STD) with shorter F6 Baffler shaft (Matrix Ozix Red Tie). Matrix is bit more higher launching with more spin so 5W will be smoking on the fairway. 3W we shall see, definitely a tee club, but not sure if it will have much role in approach shots.

I've been playing around 100 for the last month. Yesterday I played 97, not quite happy as I made too many stupid mistakes costing me shot here and there. But nothing over triple bogeys, previous rounds I have been playing par-bogey-double and few severe blowout holes with ~10 shots. So, I was more consistent yesterday :oops::rolleyes::cautious:

Latest (and propably last) addition to bag will arrive today as F9 Speedback 3W head on the way. Driver will remain in the bag for now and I will check the distances between D<->3W and 3W<->5W. I will put the 3W HZRDUZ Smoke Yellow from 5W to 3W and dial 5W from 17 to 18.5 (STD) with shorter F6 Baffler shaft (Matrix Ozix Red Tie). Matrix is bit more higher launching with more spin so 5W will be smoking on the fairway. 3W we shall see, definitely a tee club, but not sure if it will have much role in approach shots.

:geek::geek:

Custom shafts, changing angles. You sound far too knowledgeable of the little things to be hovering around 100.

I'm still using my Wilson Prostaff HDX set that cost £230GBP and would have absolutely no idea on what to buy to improve my game yet! I'd just be glad to have a set of clubs that let me hit the ball with the slightest bit of predictability.

Still, 97 is a decent score. I've recently started tracking both stroke and stableford whenever I play, as I think stableford really helps to give a better overall picture of how the round went, despite the odd blow out thanks to a drive into the trees, or a double penalty in the water.

So even if I score say 105, if I have a stableford of over 30 it still feels like a decent round overall.

View attachment 8956867

98 today so Nett 72 (player 3 & marker)
Should have been much better but a 9 on the second and a couple of 7’s did for a personal best. Putter was working well and my iron striking was good. Driver was ok about 70:30 (good:bad).

I’m really happy with how my game is progressing.
I had to stare at the scorcecard for a while to figure it out. LOL. Those are really different than the ones I use.

View attachment 8956968

96 today. Happy with the score, but it is a bit flattering considering how I actually struck the ball.
There were 3 or 4 holes where I hit my shots well, and I felt like a proper golfer.

Hole 4 par 3 was a 6-iron off the tee, landing on the edge of the green and rolled about 15 feet from the pin. 2 putts easy par.

Hole 5 is a tricky uphill 175yd par 3. Landed just right of the green, a quick up and down 2 pars in a row.

But I had so many scalps and shanks, some of which just rolled for miles on the hard floor meaning I got away with it. Did the job, but felt dirty. It's like when I completed Super Mario 3 by using 2 warp whistles to get to the final world. Yes I beat the game, but it wasn't clean.

On a positive note, not a single lost ball, and I actually found 4, so after losing 7 on Thursday's round I'm only net -3 for the week!

Still frustrated by the fact that it feels like I am doing everything exactly the same every time, but sometime it is a perfect iron shot, and other times it is a crap scalper. It's disheartening.:mad:
Oh, golf. Don't you ever change.
An ugly shot that helps you score is a shot that helps you score.
I understand completely how you feel, but, if posting a number is what is the goal, then any shot that gets you to that point is a good one. Style points are nice, but not needed.

Join the crowd! :ROFLMAO:

I’ve been playing golf for 35 years and still regularly hit shots that make it look like it’s my first time on a golf course.
FTFM (Fixed that for me)

My swing feels different on the course. Obviously I'm not so relaxed. If I can convince myself to totally relax I might do better. But that is easier said than done. I've finally convinced myself I'm not a good golfer so bad shots are to be expected. So I'm not bothered by them like I used to be. When I hit a terrible shot my response is usually "Oh well, the life of a high handicapper. On to the next shot".
Well, if possible, I have two suggestions. first, and most importantly, you are not a bad golfer, you are an improving golfer. So think of yourself that way. Second, stop going to the range, and just play. You'll get more acclimated to the 'game' swing and it will improve.

Shot a 104 today, my first >100 round since the end of May. Nothing was working. Every club was short and right. Just couldn’t get comfortable over the ball. Oh well, there’s always next round
Throw it away, and play again.

Shot 52/50 for a 102, but really happy with the round. Started with three consecutive snowmen and thus shot 24 for the first 3 holes...then shot 78 the rest of the way, including 3 pars. If I had settled down a bit earlier, easily could have broken 100. Really need to figure out my 2nd shot/irons shots, but I did hit some good ones and really drove the ball well.

Looking forward to the next round!
I'm teaching myself to ask "How did I play?' not "What did I score?"
I've come to realize I'm an OK player, just a terrible scorer.

Throw it away, and play again.

That’s my mindset. I’ve not played enough this year to get any kind of consistency going. I think that was my 10th or 11th round all year. Yesterday’s round showed me the only real issue with the no swing thoughts, just hit the damn ball approach. When it’s good it’s good, when it’s bad it’s really, really bad

Shot a 53/53 yesterday, playing with Grins, my brother, and a friend.
A course we'd all played before, so no real excuse there, however, the greens were insanely fast this round, and whoever did the placement was a verrrrry angry lad. (Or lass.)
Hit one awesome shot, where I jarred an 8-iron from 120 out to save my par.
Actually, I played not too stinky, save for the putting, which I blame on the aforementioned hate-filled person.
One sort of weird observation: lately, I've been using my Ping G20 SW (54*) for green side chips, and have been hitting it well, but am hitting it with too much roll out. Seems like I hit the shot right, just cant stop them. So, for experimentation purposes, I used my Mizuno 50* GW for a few holes. Lo, and behold, I can hit shots that fly well and seem to have a better check than with the higher lofted club. I don't seem to be putting a different swing on the club.
Go figure.

Sounds like the last round I played...frustrating....but keep swinging the clubs and you'll get it going again.

Shot a 53/53 yesterday, playing with Grins, my brother, and a friend.
A course we'd all played before, so no real excuse there, however, the greens were insanely fast this round, and whoever did the placement was a verrrrry angry lad. (Or lass.)
Hit one awesome shot, where I jarred an 8-iron from 120 out to save my par.
Actually, I played not too stinky, save for the putting, which I blame on the aforementioned hate-filled person.
One sort of weird observation: lately, I've been using my Ping G20 SW (54*) for green side chips, and have been hitting it well, but am hitting it with too much roll out. Seems like I hit the shot right, just cant stop them. So, for experimentation purposes, I used my Mizuno 50* GW for a few holes. Lo, and behold, I can hit shots that fly well and seem to have a better check than with the higher lofted club. I don't seem to be putting a different swing on the club.
Go figure.

Wonder what the difference is with the wedges? Certain specs coming into play (grooves, etc??) or just able to put some spin on the 50 for some other reason?? Weird. I wouldn't overthink it - just keep going with it til it doesn't work anymore!

I'm liking the Ping wedges I got a deal on a few weeks back...having some great luck around the green with the 58 and hitting the 54 solidly on approach shots. Seems like a good combo for me versus the old TopFlite's I was rocking. The TF's weren't bad clubs...these just have a different weight to them, it seems, and I make better contact for whatever reason...sometimes certain clubs just jive with the player, I guess.

Custom shafts, changing angles. You sound far too knowledgeable of the little things to be hovering around 100.

I KNOW!!! :LOL: still, I'm sucker for the gear and like to tinker with it. And I have found the combinations that I like and that seem to work for my swing. Now it's time to stop rotating gear and start stabilizing my game :)

Still, 97 is a decent score.

I KNOW!!! :LOL: still, I have tasted the low nineties and broke 90 once and I hate making mistakes. Especially stupid mistakes like following a bad shot with a stupid shot.

I KNOW!!! :LOL: still, I'm sucker for the gear and like to tinker with it. And I have found the combinations that I like and that seem to work for my swing. Now it's time to stop rotating gear and start stabilizing my game :)
I'm with you...I'm done tinkering with gear...In fact I'm at a point where I'm figuring out what I want to carry, to a degree, due to having a couple too many clubs (nice to have options to swap out from time to time, but need to set the bag up and quit mucking around and go play....)

I took my kids (6 & 8) to play nine holes. The only course that wasnt ridiculously busy was the local sh** hole lol! what used to be a nice course had to be modified when a development came in and bought half the land. They are barely hanging on now. Greens were in terrible shape, bunkers were hard as rocks and fairways were brown and hard pan. Compared to the plethora of courses in my area, this course really stinks.

But anyways, the point was the get the kids outdoors for some father/son time and we had a blast. They got to hit shots off the tee, in the fairway and on the putting green.

I shot a 46 (par was 34) the kids shot a *52 I gave them an automatic green in regulation but counted each putt.

I used this mini round as an opportunity to expand my chip shot arsenal. Ive found my 58 wedge is reliable but doesnt roll out as much and often comes up short on uphill lies. Practiced chip shots using my gap wedge (about 48 degrees) and was able to get that classic chip shot shape and good roll out.

Still disappointed with my scoring, still above 100. But I think I am close.

On Saturday I just couldn’t quit fading and slicing my driver with a big loss of distance. I only played this course once before, but most of the holes were pretty straight with plenty of room on the right. So even though my second shots were usually safe, they were not at a good approach angle. Between that and my recent chipping struggles it was a long day.

Good news - no 3 putts. If my short game had been working I probably would have dropped 3-4 strokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if possible, I have two suggestions. first, and most importantly, you are not a bad golfer, you are an improving golfer. So think of yourself that way. Second, stop going to the range, and just play. You'll get more acclimated to the 'game' swing and it will improve.

Hammy, I think you are onto something. I made the most progress last summer when I just played and skipped the range. This year I have been going to the range a lot, and hitting it well. Only to throw up all over myself when I actually play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

League was rained out tonight. I might try to get a round in otherwise won't play again until next Monday.

Dave

Played 18 today. Front nine 48, not bad. Back nine, unbelievably dissapointing 68. My game fell apart totally. Only good thing about this round was the new 3W, which was smoking. Other than that, duffs, tops, shanks, missed 3 foot putts. I just lost my mojo. I will take few days off, gather myself and forget this round :LOL:

Back