Trying to Break 100

Just woke up an hour ago what did I miss?
My blanketing Cuyahoga county with the stench of my golf game. And the Browns won, a most embarrassingly inept win.

I haven't posted here in quite a while. Our golf season in northern IL has been over for about 2 weeks now. I've been working on a golf cage project for use in my garage described in more detail here: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...tting-net-and-mat.8909361/page-2#post-8976296

I splurged on a Flightscope Mevo and it has really opened my eyes:

1. Throughout the bag the carry I've been planning against and what the device is giving are about 10 yards difference. I've probably been pulling the wrong club when hitting into receptive greens.

2a. I haven't been very shy about expressing my opinion that iron choice doesn't matter very much. It does not appear to affect my score much, but it absolutely does matter in keeping ball speed when you mishit the ball. The ancient G15 irons I have are better than my other irons in my hands at least with consistent ball speed.

2b. I cannot see any data to support the idea that spring face irons, in my case 718 AP1s, are offering any distance benefit because of the face technology. The distance gain appears 90+% driven by loft.

3. I really need to improve my distance. This 120 mph with driver ball speed thing kind of sucks. My launch conditions are ok though @ 16* launch and 2900 spin.

4. I played a "simulated" round today. Basically I took my carry and a reasonable rollout and worked against the score card of a course I play often. In 11 approach / par 5 advancement shots only 1 of them missed my carry target number by more than 10 yards and it was a 4 wood. If I can do a better job of pulling the correct club I have potential to score much better.

Dave

What was the smash factor on the 120?

I have the PTM forged by Maltby covered in lead tape. Solid way to get decent clubs without spending a ton.
You have everything covered in lead tape, mate. :)

I tell you, #b100-ers, one look in Ben's bag and you would never play him for money. It's the bag of a Golfin' Man. (y)

Played in a charity tournament on Saturday. I won the longest drive off the first hole for women. 148 and it went STRAIGHT!
I mean, it was a shame it was on the 105 yard par 3, but a win is a win (y)

Or certifiable idiot. The votes are being tallied...

We’re hardy fools in the Midwest...

7b6eebcdce1b634a8b225e3e13d2ca45.jpg
Hey - I recognise that young fellow next to you (y)

Off today, so going to try to get 18 in. Playing somewhere different than my regular course. Last few rounds have been pretty rough, so hopefully I can keep it down under 100 today.

I brought my clubs home with me when we went to the golf club yesterday for Sunday lunch as the course has been suffering with the weather
Probably going to end up booking a round on the sim as the forecast isn't getting any better for this week, so I don't see the course being open at the weekend, or if it is, it will be very soft and wet with all the rain we have had and not enjoyable at all
If not a round on the sim, I will head to the range that is 5 minutes from home

The best I've had is 122.8 ball speed, 84.6 club speed, 1.45 smash, 16.8 launch, 2788 spin, 190 carry

If I recall correctly that one was middled.

Dave
What static loft, Dave? Just out of curiosity.

Off today, so going to try to get 18 in. Playing somewhere different than my regular course. Last few rounds have been pretty rough, so hopefully I can keep it down under 100 today.
Hone that game!!

Ping irons + One Length hybrids. That's what you played your best golf with, that's what stays in the bag.

I have spoken.
So let it be written, so let it be done!

So let it be written, so let it be done!
Now, if you get an itch for new and shiny and goes far, wait a year and get some G410's or G700's, same spec as your current ones.

Consume!

Now, if you get an itch for new and shiny and goes far, wait a year and get some G410's or G700's, same spec as your current ones.

Consume!
In a fit of pique, I swung by Golf Galaxy yesterday and swung some Cobra F-Max irons. They felt darn nice, and hit comparably to my Pings. But, I think the requirement for me to drop cash, is going to have to be a revelatory experience with another club.

Edit: the G700s are awesome looking.

Last edited:
In a fit of pique, I swung by Golf Galaxy yesterday and swung some Cobra F-Max irons. They felt darn nice, and hit comparably to my Pings. But, I think the requirement for me to drop cash, is going to have to be a revelatory experience with another club.
Sale of the F8's might take the sting out of that.
Edit: the G700s are awesome looking.
Aren't they, though?
:sneaky: #ihaveyounow #magpiemindset

I on the other am pondering about switching to OL. I hit my mid irons perfectly, long ones not so and tend to pull short irons, especially when fatigue kicks in. Not sure I would hit OL any better, but I couldn't blame the differing shaft length anymore ?

Hey - I recognise that young fellow next to you (y)

We were so bundled up that day, it was hard to discern anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot a 50 on the front 9 today... Best score so far on that one... Wish I had time for the back 9 but oh well. Practice is practice ;)

Hone that game!!
Oof. I wish. 110 on a not terribly hard course. Couldn’t get a putt to drop to save my life, and I just made a pile of stupid stupid mistakes.

Get your tee times now...

694e7756288310e581240c60f46a1855.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What static loft, Dave? Just out of curiosity.

I have a few drivers. The data posted was for the Cobra F8 with a higher launching shaft (Tensei Blue 50) set to 10.5*D with weight back.

I found the Cobra F8 with Matrix VLCT ST at 9.5* and Taylormade M2 with stock shaft at 9.5 and both launch way too low. The F8 launched on average at 13.3 and M2 at 13.9. If your ball speed is 120-ish and misses launch around 10 you're in big trouble.

I have a K15 10.5* that is my old standby and it is another option, but has a little less ball speed than the F8.

I've been using the Flightscope trajectory optimizer @ https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/
and it is clear that at my speed launch is my friend for distance.

I did a "test round" on the Mevo yesterday with the F8 using one of the courses I typically play and I found:

Driver

ShotViewBall Speed (mph)Club Speed (mph)SmashCarry (yds)Launch Angle V (°)Spin (rpm)HeightTime (s)
1115.182.71.3916413.3259547′9″4.6delete
2117.677.91.51178.216.8284871′3″5.4delete
3119.384.21.42183.217.1207169′5.3delete
4114.8811.42172.521.6381598′6″6.1delete
5117.782.31.43170.112.7353454′7″5delete
6115.183.61.38164.112.8340250′10″4.8delete
7116.581.51.43176.517.9315077′9″5.6delete
Avg116.681.91.42172.616305967′1″5.3
Dev1.61.90.046.73.155516′7″0.5

Consistent contact was an issue. Drives #1, 5, and 6 were clearly off the bottom of the face with low launch and high-ish spin. Drives #2 and #3 were both well struck. I think there was a swing speed measurement issue on #2.

Dave

Sale of the F8's might take the sting out of that.

Aren't they, though?
:sneaky: #ihaveyounow #magpiemindset
Shiiiiiinnnnnnyyyyyyyy!!!

Oof. I wish. 110 on a not terribly hard course. Couldn’t get a putt to drop to save my life, and I just made a pile of stupid stupid mistakes.
I, too, have honed my game to a razor’s edge. This will be a clash of titans.

I, too, have honed my game to a razor’s edge. This will be a clash of titans.
I like to think I am honing my game as well, but I keep slipping and adding nicks to the blade ??

Back