Trying to Break 100

So, should I feel:
A.) Rage
B.) Apathy

Browsing the used section at Golf Galaxy today, chatting with a fellow browser, he was saying how the Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metals were a great club, that he’d tried a little while ago. I pointed out a mint condition set right there in front of me, and he grabbed a club, went in to hit it a few times in the simulator. Came back out and was speaking to the sales guy. I had, by that time, moved on to browsing some wedges. I hear him say he’ll take them and wen out to his car to grab his old clubs to trade in. I asked the salesman what price they were going for, since I hadn’t seen it, and he told me “$450.00”.

The irons I’ve been lusting over, for an insanely good price, and I gave them to another guy.

I had passed on even inquiring about the price because I had decided to go the fitting and lessons route.

I can’t decide between seething rage at passing on the deal, or utter apathy because if I can’t hit the Pings, I probably ain’t going to hit those either.

The Mizuno fitting process is great. You’ll be perfectly fitted, which is worth the difference. Those $450 clubs might not have been right and turned you off the Mizunos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Mizuno fitting process is great. You’ll be perfectly fitted, which is worth the difference. Those $450 clubs might not have been right and turned you off the Mizunos.

More grudging agreement.

The only club I feel that is holding me back is my driver. Let me rephrase that. It’s me swinging my driver. I’m thinking the leave it in the bag route is the best for me.

The only club I feel that is holding me back is my driver. Let me rephrase that. It’s me swinging my driver. I’m thinking the leave it in the bag route is the best for me.
My problem with driver is that it's "a long club" or better yet "the longest club". Therefore "I need to SMASH it!!". And we all know how that goes..

Shortening my driver (3w shaft) made it a little bit easier not to smash it. I'm still tense with it and hitting a driver shot is quite different from rest of the clubs. That and I still hit my 5-6fwy (17*) the same distance but more accurately.

I bring the driver to range and practice with it, but before I get the same consistency and more distance than with FW, it stays home when I play. So, work in progress.

It's supposed to be, but that ultimately depends on the fitter. The fitting I received when I bought my set of Mizunos was underwhelming and nothing like what the Mizuno website shows.

Mine was done by my instructor, who is a Certified Mizuno Fitter. He also uses a Foresight GCQuad monitor to help dial it it. I also took fewer swings since he knows me. We’ve used the monitor since to pick shafts and settings for my GBB ‘15 woods and hybrids.

Last edited:
Gone step further: pull it from the bag, and put it in the closet. Go the Way of the Playa. Hit the club you hit well. Hit the shot you hit well.

Gone step further: pull it from the bag, and put it in the closet. Go the Way of the Playa. Hit the club you hit well. Hit the shot you hit well.

Truth!

Mine was done by my instructor, who is a Certified Mizuno Fitter.
As was mine. He had the Mizuno blue box and "Certified Mizuno Fitter" signs on the wall.

He had me try a few 6i and I picked the 850's. Had me hit on a lie board and hit into the simulator. No static measurements. No impact tape on the club face. No shaft optimizer test. No trying out any other clubs with the set beyond the 6i. There was reluctance on his part to adjust the cast iron lies 1 1/2° - even though Mizuno claims they can be bent up to 2°. So I think he ended up building them a bit longer to compensate.

Make no mistake, I never thought this was typical, but the fitting didn't seem very complete. I think this guy just wanted to get rid of inventory and didn't want to spend a lot of time on a customer he knew was never going to spend a ton of money at his shop (he was right about that:sneaky:).

He no longer owns the shop and the new owner seems a bit more thorough (I've since had the set re-fit to the standard length, lie and loft).

I'm not trying to scare anyone out of a fitting, just that they make sure the shop is reputable. This may have been my only chance at a proper fitting and I blew it. The clubs are fine as is and my poor swing mechanics and inabilities are far more damaging than the possibility of ill-fitted clubs. But I'll always wonder how much better the fitting could have gone.

As was mine. He had the Mizuno blue box and "Certified Mizuno Fitter" signs on the wall.

He had me try a few 6i and I picked the 850's. Had me hit on a lie board and hit into the simulator. No static measurements. No impact tape on the club face. No shaft optimizer test. No trying out any other clubs with the set beyond the 6i. There was reluctance on his part to adjust the cast iron lies 1 1/2° - even though Mizuno claims they can be bent up to 2°. So I think he ended up building them a bit longer to compensate.

Make no mistake, I never thought this was typical, but the fitting didn't seem very complete. I think this guy just wanted to get rid of inventory and didn't want to spend a lot of time on a customer he knew was never going to spend a ton of money at his shop (he was right about that:sneaky:).

He no longer owns the shop and the new owner seems a bit more thorough (I've since had the set re-fit to the standard length, lie and loft).

I'm not trying to scare anyone out of a fitting, just that they make sure the shop is reputable. This may have been my only chance at a proper fitting and I blew it. The clubs are fine as is and my poor swing mechanics and inabilities are far more damaging than the possibility of ill-fitted clubs. But I'll always wonder how much better the fitting could have gone.
As in everything else, there is a spectrum of quality amongst fitters.

Went to the executive course today. Just wanted to walk around hitting balls, see how I felt.

Only took a 7-iron and a sand wedge. I had a decent amount of nice shots, also some bad ones, but ended up the day hitting more of the former than the latter.

I went back to the Marty Sheinbum half backswing style. And was really roping a few shots with my 7-iron. Overall, I think this is the best swing for me at this point. Much better contact, much crisper shot, a nice baby draw. Short, granted, but I’ll take two out of three. My theory is that this swing doesn’t give my hands time to move forward past my left hip and engaging my chicken wing. Now, I jus have to spend hours a day doing wrist curls and extensions with massive weights to build my hand strength and get big ol’ Popeye forearms.

I was playing a couple of Srixon Q Stars that daze had given me, along with a Cally Cromesoft. I like the Srixons better. Maybe I’m a feeble old man, but the Chromesofts don’t feel all that soft, lol.

After losing one of the Q Stars, I found a Srixon Z-Ru- something or other, and that felt nice as all get out.

I may be asking for a Srixon variety pack this year for Christmas.

Last edited:
After losing one of the Q Stars, I found a Srixon Z-Ru- something or other, and that felt nice as all get out.

I may be asking for a Srixon variety pack this year for Christmas.

After my initial rounds with the Q-Stars, I grabbed a bucket of Z-stars... Haven't tried them yet but if they're anything like the Qs, I see myself hitting srixons for the foreseeable future.... Well, when there's no water in the way, at least.

After my initial rounds with the Q-Stars, I grabbed a bucket of Z-stars... Haven't tried them yet but if they're anything like the Qs, I see myself hitting srixons for the foreseeable future.... Well, when there's no water in the way, at least.
The ones I hit felt very good when I put a nice swing on them. The Z-something, I hit a really good shot with a 7-iron,and although it was only from, 110? Maybe, the ball hit the green and only rolled out about 5 feet. That would be a huge positive for my game since I normally have to use a lower lofted club than most people for a comparatively similar distance.

Went to the executive course today. Just wanted to walk around hitting balls, see how I felt.

Only took a 7-iron and a sand wedge. I had a decent amount of nice shots, also some bad ones, but ended up the day hitting more of the former than the latter.

I went back to the Marty Sheinbum half backswing style. And was really roping a few shots with my 7-iron. Overall, I think this is the best swing for me at this point. Much better contact, much crisper shot, a nice baby draw. Short, granted, but I’ll take two out of three. My theory is that this swing doesn’t give my hands time to move forward past my left hip and engaging my chicken wing. Now, I jus have to spend hours a day doing wrist curls and extensions with massive weights to build my hand strength and get big ol’ Popeye forearms.

Best of luck w/the search. I'm not convinced that for us average guys that irons have moved that far forward. I've tried a bunch of stuff and G15/G20 era Ping irons seem to be quite competitive with any of the newer stuff I've tried.

I might get slapped around for saying this, but sometimes I think the main problem being solved in OEM designing/building new golf clubs is that problem of needing new product to sell! Ahh, well I deserve it I guess. Slap away :)

Dave

Spent the last two days teeing it up at the Unofficial Arizona Golf Outing (https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...cial-arizona-golf-outing-winter-2019.8909320/). Got to play with @robrandalgz and @mtbloco among others. Nice guys and some good golf on a difficult course! We found our share of the hazards but still enjoyed the heck out of the two days of golf...

We sure did. You managed to beat me 2/1 on the from in spite of playing out of every bunker on the course.

Lots of laughs and some good golf sprinkled in. The course is tough but spectacular. The fairways were some of the best I’ve played. By best, they are also a$$ kickers. Perfect drives get swept off into water or yet another bunker with out warning.

Anyone should add Sewailo to their list of course to play.

The ones I hit felt very good when I put a nice swing on them. The Z-something, I hit a really good shot with a 7-iron,and although it was only from, 110? Maybe, the ball hit the green and only rolled out about 5 feet. That would be a huge positive for my game since I normally have to use a lower lofted club than most people for a comparatively similar distance.

I was gonna try and get a 9 in to try these Z-Stars out but didn't think i'd beat the rain (which wound up going around the course) so I just hit the range to work out my driver issues and hit through my irons...

I was gonna try and get a 9 in to try these Z-Stars out but didn't think i'd beat the rain (which wound up going around the course) so I just hit the range to work out my driver issues and hit through my irons...

The Z Stars are very nice. I bought a dozen last July and played my best golf of the year with them, even shot a 40 in the work league one night!

Dave

Crazy couple of weeks with shopping, the holidays and trying to stay caught up on the Granddaddy. Mostly range work on my short game. It's weird, this used to be the strongest part of my game, but now that my tee and fairway shots are getting better my short game is breaking down. Maybe it's all relative and my short game just looked good compared to my other shots. Out of town next week so no golf.

Spent the last two days teeing it up at the Unofficial Arizona Golf Outing (https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...cial-arizona-golf-outing-winter-2019.8909320/). Got to play with @robrandalgz and @mtbloco among others. Nice guys and some good golf on a difficult course! We found our share of the hazards but still enjoyed the heck out of the two days of golf...
@MagicSpell needs to change his forum name to GentlemanAssassin. Such a great guy and steady throughout. You wouldn't be able to tell how he shot from one hole to the next. He could go on a three hole crapfest and then not miss a single shot on the next two holes. That dude knows how to "reset". Thanks for the matches, my friend.

Last edited:
To use the Titleist range as a comparison, what you've done is tried a few rounds with DT TruSoft, then bought a bucket of ProV1's. 2 piece distance ball to multilayer urethane tour ball.

My advice to you:-
  1. Don't get freaked out if you see some differences.
  2. Don't get freaked out if you see absolutely no differences.
  3. Don't get freaked out over golf balls, full stop.
  4. If you do see some differences, or even think you do, just make a note of what you think you are seeing
  5. Try the same sort of thing with the other balls and compare.
  6. GO WITH WHICHEVER BALL GIVES YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE, IRRESPECTIVE OF PRICE.(y)

I bring the driver to range and practice with it, but before I get the same consistency and more distance than with FW, it stays home when I play. So, work in progress.
Yep - all ofthe above. I've taken to carrying both shafts over the range, and trying out batches of shots so there's a consistency of swing involved. Saturday morning over the range, I was a bit slicey, changing my stance a little fixed it (slightly more knee flex on backswing and downswing), so that gave me a little bit of confidence that the swing was at least being co-operative/malleable.

Once I got consistent (ish), I was swapping the shafts in and out after 5 or 6 shots and I actually saw a bit of a change, I was popping up to 145mph ball speed on average rather than 140mph, getting a few more yards, a few out beyond 260 yards (including roll, which I don't entirely trust on TopTracer, to be fair), which I've rarely got close to with the Thriver. Thriver still felt way more comfortable for me to swing and find the middle of the face - I don't want to trade consistency for a possible extra 10-15 yards if I can't control it.

Next time I go out, I'll take both shafts and see how I go.

As you quite rightly say, a WIP. (y)

Best of luck w/the search. I'm not convinced that for us average guys that irons have moved that far forward. I've tried a bunch of stuff and G15/G20 era Ping irons seem to be quite competitive with any of the newer stuff I've tried.

I might get slapped around for saying this, but sometimes I think the main problem being solved in OEM designing/building new golf clubs is that problem of needing new product to sell! Ahh, well I deserve it I guess. Slap away :)

Dave

Wrong room, Dave, for that. Why I like it here.

To use the Titleist range as a comparison, what you've done is tried a few rounds with DT TruSoft, then bought a bucket of ProV1's. 2 piece distance ball to multilayer urethane tour ball.

My advice to you:-
  1. Don't get freaked out if you see some differences.
  2. Don't get freaked out if you see absolutely no differences.
  3. Don't get freaked out over golf balls, full stop.
  4. If you do see some differences, or even think you do, just make a note of what you think you are seeing
  5. Try the same sort of thing with the other balls and compare.
  6. GO WITH WHICHEVER BALL GIVES YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE, IRRESPECTIVE OF PRICE.(y)

48d5525c1c48095c8cd755204528e6e3.jpg

Dave
Well, that's what keeps them in business, no denying that.

I'll stick with the G20s and lessons at this point. Just makes more sense. (And makes so very, very sad.)

Back