Trying to Break 100

Just wanted to get a range session in for the evening, but i guess it was team training day or something. entire length taken up.
Went round the front 9, no warmup or anything, haven't swung a club in a week due to our excessive rain. Course has been open for a couple of days, but is still rather swampy in places.

lost 4 balls :( Found 3 balls :) 3 worse balls :confused:

I did mostly strike the ball ok and still got round with 52. Made those 4 bad shots really count, and failed to capitalize on some nice approach shots.
Mostly i am happy today because i got through 9 holes in 80 minutes or less. Still unhappy about not being able to get the range practice i had actually come for, of course.

Absolutely. I’ve had a number of people tell me that my practice swings look like those of a legit golfer.
They’re smooth, controlled, and I can thump the ground just in front of the imaginary ball. Then I step over to where my ball actually is and top it, lay the sod over it, or slice it off the planet.
Yep. done it many a time. There's no pressure for a result on a practice swing, so we swing all loose and easy.

Had a great day with my son on Sunday at the local municipal course. It's hot here in the summer, so getting the as early as possible is the best play. It was looking to be close to 100° by noon. We had a 7:10 tee time. Both of us are walkers too.

I changed things up a bit this time. I pretty much left my 52 and 56° clubs in the bag, and used my 44° pitching wedge that is a part of my 30+ year old irons set. It has a light weight graphite shaft, and my two newer wedges have steel. It seems I have a bit more control. So I'm kinda wondering if I should try switching the shafts out, to move the inertia point down closer to the head some....I'll have to ponder on that some.

It's been several weeks since I played, and on this day, although my drives were straight for the most part, they were significantly shorter. I think the longest was 175 yards. On the flip side, it seems my irons were longer by five to ten yards. I over shot a few greens. That never happens!

Anyway, chipping and putting were working well on the front, and I shot a 44 compared to my son's 47. His head still gets in the way, especially when he plays with me!
We flipped positions on the back as I started to make simple mistakes. It was getting pretty warm, so a little heat and fatigue might have been a factor. I had three par putts that I shoulda made, and didn't. Made a few bad choices that cost a stroke here and there, and I finished with a 49 on the back to my son's 45. So he got me 92 to 93.

It was a great day overall. The group in front of us were really fun. They were having a good time, and we were able to laugh and joke with them. Made the day even better.

I see you're from Central California. Which course do you play on? I usually play at Rancho Del Rey in Atwater. Sometimes Pheasant Run in Chowchilla. Yup, it does get pretty hot here in the valley. Humidity's up a bit today. Seems as hot as last week's 110 but its only around 100 right now. Heat didn't bother me as much when I was younger. Now I avoid playing on the really hot days.

I'm a little south, in Clovis. We play at Airways quite a bit, Sherwood Forest in Sanger, and the Tulare and Visalia courses. Haven't made it up that far north yet. One of these days maybe!

I'm a little south, in Clovis. We play at Airways quite a bit, Sherwood Forest in Sanger, and the Tulare and Visalia courses. Haven't made it up that far north yet. One of these days maybe!

I used to play Airways a lot back in the late 80's when I lived in Fresno and Clovis. Played Sherwood forest some too. Selma had a nice course that is now closed. Played my share of rounds at Riverside too. That course is tough to walk the back nine. So up and down. If I ever play there again I will definitely ride.

There used to be a par 3 course called Palm Lakes in Fresno. It was surrounded by apartments. We used to play there a lot after work because we could finish before dark on that course.

Shot a 44 last night in my league that felt more like a 40 - I flubbed the par 3 9th hole & 3 putted from 10 feet for a 5:mad:. I've been struggling this year to make consistent contact with my irons. Last night I hit some real lasers - and was hitting them much longer than my typical shots. Starting to see the results of being in better shape, stronger & more flexible, and practicing the short game more.

I used to play Airways a lot back in the late 80's when I lived in Fresno and Clovis. Played Sherwood forest some too. Selma had a nice course that is now closed. Played my share of rounds at Riverside too. That course is tough to walk the back nine. So up and down. If I ever play there again I will definitely ride.

There used to be a par 3 course called Palm Lakes in Fresno. It was surrounded by apartments. We used to play there a lot after work because we could finish before dark on that course.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of Riverside. It really puts to hurt to short hitters like myself. I played Selma a few times, "Back in the Day." It was a nice course. Sad to see it gone after I took the game back up after not playing for a long time.
Palm Lakes....I played my first round ever there. It was short, but there were a few Par 4 holes. They called it "Executive Length" and was a 62 par course. I remember hitting a few balls into the apartments! I also remember playing there when it actually snowed in Fresno! More like an ice storm. It coated the course in about an inch of ice. Made putting really challenging! The ball would pick up ice as it rolled. Just like in cartoons when the snowball rolls down the hill getting bigger and bigger. One of my most fun memories from those days. It's an empty weed filled lot now.
It seems Sherwood and Airways have traded places recently. Sherwood used to be the nicer course, and Airways, was a bit rough. Now it's the other way around. The new management at Airways has really made the course pretty nice. It suits me fine. It's just a few miles away from the house! I play nine there easily after work....as long as it's not over 100°!
I'll have to get up your way sometime soon.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of Riverside. It really puts to hurt to short hitters like myself. I played Selma a few times, "Back in the Day." It was a nice course. Sad to see it gone after I took the game back up after not playing for a long time.
Palm Lakes....I played my first round ever there. It was short, but there were a few Par 4 holes. They called it "Executive Length" and was a 62 par course. I remember hitting a few balls into the apartments! I also remember playing there when it actually snowed in Fresno! More like an ice storm. It coated the course in about an inch of ice. Made putting really challenging! The ball would pick up ice as it rolled. Just like in cartoons when the snowball rolls down the hill getting bigger and bigger. One of my most fun memories from those days. It's an empty weed filled lot now.
It seems Sherwood and Airways have traded places recently. Sherwood used to be the nicer course, and Airways, was a bit rough. Now it's the other way around. The new management at Airways has really made the course pretty nice. It suits me fine. It's just a few miles away from the house! I play nine there easily after work....as long as it's not over 100°!
I'll have to get up your way sometime soon.

Yeah, from what I remember Sherwood was the best public course in the area. Riverside is long. Rancho Del Rey is about 100 yards shorter so it can have some challenging holes for shorter hitters. If you haven't tried Pheasant Run in Chowchilla you would like that one. Its probably the nicer course within a 100 mile radius that isn't private. They take really good care of that course. But it can punish shorter hitters too. And there's plenty of water hazard. Their signature hole is the island green on number 18. Here's a picture of it.

So how’s everyone doing on the goal of breaking 100? What are you working on? What has been your biggest success this season?

So how’s everyone doing on the goal of breaking 100? What are you working on? What has been your biggest success this season?

I’m essentially treading water. It seems like every time one area of my game improves it’s counteracted by a decline elsewhere. For example, I’ve been hitting my irons better than ever the last few rounds, but my driver is just not a playable club right now. I’ve found success off the tee with a shorter club, but it’s leaving me much longer approaches. My short game has also fallen off a bit lately, and my first putt seems to always be ridiculously long.

Game wise, my iron play has been my biggest success this year. I credit some of it to my lessons, and some to the fact that I finally got irons that fit me.

Score wise my biggest success was my first round of the year, which was a 99. My two most recent rounds were a 102 and a 100, both on courses I had never played before.

I’m a bit torn as to what to do now. I’d like to be able to hit driver again, but I fear working on it too much may make me lose my iron swing. My best bet is probably to focus on my short game…it seems like I can do that without altering my swing. If I could knock off 3-4 putts a round I think I’d have a chance at double digits somewhat regularly. I just can’t seem to ever get the ball remotely close to the hole from off the green.

I’m essentially treading water. It seems like every time one area of my game improves it’s counteracted by a decline elsewhere. For example, I’ve been hitting my irons better than ever the last few rounds, but my driver is just not a playable club right now. I’ve found success off the tee with a shorter club, but it’s leaving me much longer approaches. My short game has also fallen off a bit lately, and my first putt seems to always be ridiculously long.

Game wise, my iron play has been my biggest success this year. I credit some of it to my lessons, and some to the fact that I finally got irons that fit me.

Score wise my biggest success was my first round of the year, which was a 99. My two most recent rounds were a 102 and a 100, both on courses I had never played before.

I’m a bit torn as to what to do now. I’d like to be able to hit driver again, but I fear working on it too much may make me lose my iron swing. My best bet is probably to focus on my short game…it seems like I can do that without altering my swing. If I could knock off 3-4 putts a round I think I’d have a chance at double digits somewhat regularly. I just can’t seem to ever get the ball remotely close to the hole from off the green.
If your iron game is working well at the moment, why not stick with it for the time being and work on driver at the range or with lessons

Even playing irons off the tee, if you can keep the ball in play you are still likely to be looking at GIR + 1 on most holes at the most, and if you can 2 putt the majority of the greens you will be looking at sub 100 in most cases

It can be a confidence thing, but shooting those lower scores when a particular area of the bag isn't working is a good thing as, once you get driver figured out again, there is the potential for even better scores

I think you would be wise to do the most work on your short game Annhl8rX. I always seem to score better when my irons, wedges and putter are working good. The goal should be to get your approach as close to the hole as possible. At least that's what works for me. For example, a typical 350 yard par 4 hole. I hit my drive somewhere around 175 to 180 yards. The next longest club in my bag that I can count on, is my 5Hybrid. If I hit it, let's say "average," then I'm maybe 25 yards out. If I can pitch it within 10 feet, I got a chance for par, or at worst, bogey. That's a good hole. If I chunk my chip, or hit it thin, and leave me another chip, or a 50 foot putt, then I might be looking at double bogey. I've totally duffed my drive, and still made bogey on holes like that by having the short game working. So yeah, I'll take "Short Game" for $1000 Alex!"

Scored a personal best of 85 two weeks ago at an easy course, and now back to playing high 90s/low 100s golf.

Biggest success this year has been chipping and putting. Much more consistent on chipping and pitching <50 yards in compared to before. And after a couple years of playing mallet putters (more forgiving for newbies according to experts) I switched to a skinny blade earlier this year and now am sinking more putts than ever. Maybe I'm more comfortable bc of all those times playing mini golf with a blade as a kid? Funny how that works.

Just as my short game has improved, my long irons and hybrids have deteriorated. Lately I find myself hooking a ton of approaches from 180-200 yards. And when I have a lie that's above my feet, forget it.

I find myself struggling with long holes and courses where the fairway is sloping. When I am forced to use long iron or hybrid / wood on the 2nd shot it just all goes to hell. I think I may just play it safe going forward and just aim for bogey / double bogey as a baseline and just hit shorter clubs I can better control.

If your iron game is working well at the moment, why not stick with it for the time being and work on driver at the range or with lessons

Even playing irons off the tee, if you can keep the ball in play you are still likely to be looking at GIR + 1 on most holes at the most, and if you can 2 putt the majority of the greens you will be looking at sub 100 in most cases

It can be a confidence thing, but shooting those lower scores when a particular area of the bag isn't working is a good thing as, once you get driver figured out again, there is the potential for even better scores

That’s exactly what I’ve been doing recently…hitting a utility iron from the tee. Two putting the majority of greens is a real problem, though. I’ve always been a bad putter. I had a run late last year where it improved a bit, but I’m back to really sucking at that part.

I think you would be wise to do the most work on your short game Annhl8rX. I always seem to score better when my irons, wedges and putter are working good. The goal should be to get your approach as close to the hole as possible. At least that's what works for me. For example, a typical 350 yard par 4 hole. I hit my drive somewhere around 175 to 180 yards. The next longest club in my bag that I can count on, is my 5Hybrid. If I hit it, let's say "average," then I'm maybe 25 yards out. If I can pitch it within 10 feet, I got a chance for par, or at worst, bogey. That's a good hole. If I chunk my chip, or hit it thin, and leave me another chip, or a 50 foot putt, then I might be looking at double bogey. I've totally duffed my drive, and still made bogey on holes like that by having the short game working. So yeah, I'll take "Short Game" for $1000 Alex!"

I completely agree. My short game has improved in that I’ve (mostly) eliminated the chunks and blades that shoot across to the other side of the green. I just really suck at getting the ball anywhere near the hole. Aside from one tap in coming out of a bunker, my shortest first putt in my last round came after a 100 yard gap wedge shot.

I’ve been doing good getting near the green in regulation lately, and getting on from there. Unfortunately that way too often results in a three putt for a double. Improving my chipping and putting would get me where I want to be (assuming the rest of my game doesn’t fall apart in the process).

See below

Went totally unconscious on the front nine to blast a 43. Came back down to earth on the back.

Attachments

• 3B35661D-B185-40E3-A6AE-D64F86D94B5C.jpeg
    3B35661D-B185-40E3-A6AE-D64F86D94B5C.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 17
  • E490B307-DB71-4C2A-A9E0-9677CEDAE612.jpeg
    E490B307-DB71-4C2A-A9E0-9677CEDAE612.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 10
Some good, some bad lately. The good has outweighed the bad for the most part. It gives me hope anyway.

Two weeks ago in league, I shot a blistering 44, as I posted last week. Monday I fell back to earth with a 57 on the more difficult 9. Mostly due to a crapload of lost balls from errant tee shots. I finally settled down and scored well 2 of the last 3 holes including a par on 18.

Today I played 18 at another difficult course, one I had never played before. Sycamore Ridge is one of the top public courses in the KC area. We started on the back 9 and I had a heck of a time adjusting to the speed of the greens, 3-putting on four of the holes. My driver was failing me as well and resulted in several lost balls. Finished with 54. The front 9 is more difficult and I started with two triple bogeys because of drives sliced into the woods. I finally figured out my driver issues and played well the rest of the round and a 49 for a total of 103.

My iron play has been much better lately resulting in more GIR than my average the last 4 rounds. My greenside chipping is much improved as well. I feel like I'm playing some of the best golf I've ever played, I just need to cleanup some of the inconsistencies.

Broke 100 last weekend!! Snuck in by the skin of my teeth with a 99 (last 3 holes were 7, 7, 8) but still :rockon:
I joined a golf course in August last year but have not been playing regularly at all - only 2 rounds in 2020 and 10 this year. The 99 was my 13th round. I'm hoping to play once a week going forward so 🤞I can do that.
Right now, I'm working on hitting my 19° hybrid and 6, 7 irons much more predictably. I am starting to make good contact but the variance in shape and direction is not confidence inspiring. I also just got fitted for a driver so trying that out on the range to figure out what it wants to do with me.
Most consistent part of my play is my greenside chipping, by far. Putting is probably second. If I can get to within 25-30yd of the pin without a major blowup, I'm feeling pretty good.

Doing good. Short game is better, everything else needs work.
How about you?

I'm in the same boat. Short game has gotten better. Most times I'm on safely from anywhere inside of 40 yards. My driver has been one of the better clubs. Short irons aren't great but they usually go in the general direction of the green. Its the mid and long irons/hybrids I can't hit consistently. Anything from 160 out is an adventure. And its not like there is a consistent theme. Sometimes I thin it with a low slice. Sometime its a dead pull left. Sometimes its too fat. At least I've stopped totally chunking 30 yards.

I'm tempted to use nothing longer than a 7 from the fairways and par 3's. That is my 150 yard club. There will be some holes I can't reach in regulation but maybe I can get within that 40 yard range I've improved on.

119 for 27

My game has been on a bit of a decline lately, and I am not sure why. It may be due to the plantar fasciitis in my left heel. Game is just off. So I ordered the SuperSpeed system yesterday and I plan to work the program and add a few yards off the tee. My biggest troubles are beyond about 150 yards.

had a pretty good time today.
46 through the front 9, went on through 5 more for a total of 78 - 21 left to get through 3 par 4s and 1 par 3...

collected a double on the 2nd because i'm bad and a triple on the par 4 4th by skulling a ball through the green from a ~40m bunker shot and being unable to find it. Drop for 5th from bunker, left that one short, conveniently close chip, 1putt salvage...
bogeys and 2 pars for the rest of the front 9.

Completely blew up on the start of the back 9.
par 5 10th: first tee shot hung out right without turning, landed in the strip of rough bordering the driving range. didn't see it, amount of driving range balls in vicinity discouraged an extended search. Topped a second tee shot (3) and its followup (4), to then hack the ball up onto the green with 5w and 6i. 3 putts for a total of 9 o_O
par 4 11th: topped the tee shot, but got some distance. hit a nice 8i to wedge distance. Hit the wedge fat. missed the chip left to a far left pin right on the closely mown edge of the green... yes, i rolled off the bloody green with a chip, leaving myself short-sided. Overcompensated the uphill chip back to almost the other end of the green, 2 more putts - 7.
Whatever screw had come loose for those two holes found its way back down for the other 3 holes, came home with bogey, bogey and a double to end on a high note score

Didn't bring water or i might have tried to complete the round.
Still only played the entire course once... I think it's getting better, but the swing still sort of shifts around through the round and may randomly come apart.

Can i break 100? Who knows. If we're not getting another monsoon treatment over the weekend, i may try on sunday.

Doing good. Short game is better, everything else needs work.
How about you?
Thanks for asking. I’m close to being at my best level of play from about 5 years ago but I can’t get over the hump. A typical round involves a decent amount of goodness - sometimes real good - but a blowup hole or two per side that “ruins” the score. I should live in the Breaking 80s thread but I actually find this one a lot more interesting. I love coming here and seeing how all of you are doing. I root for you guys, knowing that every single one of you can do it.

Back