Trying to Break 100

Okay made it through nine. The first swing on the first tee I could feel it in the shoulder. Then just started swinging easy and made it through with little to no pain. That was the good thing. The bad thing was I shot a 56. But getting accustomed to swinging a bit freely again and trusting my shoulder and that was the goal....
It takes time to learn to trust it. I dealt with a left shoulder injury a few years ago and it affected my swing for a while even after it was fully healed because I was unconsciously "guarding" it during the swing to avoid the pain I used to feel from it. Hopefully yours comes around soon!

Okay made it through nine. The first swing on the first tee I could feel it in the shoulder. Then just started swinging easy and made it through with little to no pain. That was the good thing. The bad thing was I shot a 56. But getting accustomed to swinging a bit freely again and trusting my shoulder and that was the goal....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shoulder injuries and golf don't make for good companions, but it reads like you are doing good. Just remember, to use caution and not over do it. You will build up the swing strength in time.

You guys aren’t kidding about shoulders and golf. Luckily I feel good this morning- was worried about after effects. But my painless range of motion is still really good (compared to what’s it’s been for a long time) so I’m hoping I’m on some kind of road to recovery.

The key is just not trying to do anything extra. I have to let the club do the work. Which probably helps my swing anyway :)

There’s definitely still a mental block with it and my swing looks a little off as I’m trying to accommodate the shoulder and favoring it. And the rough was pretty thick so that was tough for me to get out of at times...just couldn’t put anything extra on the swing so was having to just get something with loft and pop it back into the fairway (and not worry about gaining distance). But man it felt good to get out and swing the clubs and walk 9 holes.

I’ll just keep trying to do some rehab at home with some light flexibility/strength stuff and hope the needle keeps moving the right direction....

After 5 rounds in the 90s, my last two were above 100 again. Conditions weren't that much different, but I just couldn't hit my normal distance. I guess I am degenerating, just sitting at home reading when I can't get out to play. My home assn gym has been closed, so I can't do any weight or machine exercise there. Getting frustrated, but it is still better than some who cannot get out at all.

After 5 rounds in the 90s, my last two were above 100 again. Conditions weren't that much different, but I just couldn't hit my normal distance. I guess I am degenerating, just sitting at home reading when I can't get out to play. My home assn gym has been closed, so I can't do any weight or machine exercise there. Getting frustrated, but it is still better than some who cannot get out at all.

You’ll get back there. I went back out for another 9 today after testing the shoulder out and shaved 6 strokes off. Just takes repetition and rhythm. Big thing I did today was mentally tell myself to relax before each shot. I have a tendency to grip too tight at times and I was relaxing my hands and arms and then taking my shot. Let the club do the work for me and just tried to play smart knowing my current limitations.

Had some good drives though I kept pushing right. Had some good iron play and some great wedge shots. Putting was...just...meh. Honestly putting wasn’t bad but I had one hole where I blew up on the green.

I had another great round, 45/45: 90. I almost broke 90 on the last hole, 4' put made a roundabout resulting third putt and total of 90.

Highlights: short game. I was able save several missed greens and mishits by chipping near the flag.

New driver shaft (Hzrdus Smoke Yellow, stiff) worked marvelously. Whether I swing smooth or aggressively, it keeps its composure and control. I can also hit low stingers that roll forever and normal mid launch shots if I need more carry.

Last edited:
Excited to play tomorrow afternoon after two weeks of being too busy.

Low expectations for my score, high expectations for good weather and a fun round at one of my favorite local courses.

Played my first golf since January and hit 50 over 9 holes. Too many OB drives. On the positive, I saw the driving range was open at the course I went to and I made two bump and run 8i shots.

In a feeble attempt to take a break from golf, I gave most of my clubs away last week. My Titleist driver and Mizuno irons now belong to my son (good riddance). My bag now consists of a newer Maltby 3h, a few Hogan Radials irons (1980's), a Hogan SW and a cheap putter.

TheBag.jpg

I'd been playing another, easier course this year posting a few scores in the 90's and 100's. My home course opened up this weekend and I scheduled a tee time for 9 this morning. I shot a 105 playing these clubs from the mixed set of tees.

I don't feel terrible about that score because of how poorly I've been practicing lately and because this course is tough. Playing from the blues on half the holes is challenging as I've only broken 100 a couple of times from them. The fact that I was using a 3h as my longest club made them even more challenging.

Made some decent shots and a lot of not-so-good ones. Overall, it was good to get out.

always good to simplify, then get out and have some fun.

In a feeble attempt to take a break from golf, I gave most of my clubs away last week. My Titleist driver and Mizuno irons now belong to my son (good riddance). My bag now consists of a newer Maltby 3h, a few Hogan Radials irons (1980's), a Hogan SW and a cheap putter.

I'd been playing another, easier course this year posting a few scores in the 90's and 100's. My home course opened up this weekend and I scheduled a tee time for 9 this morning. I shot a 105 playing these clubs from the mixed set of tees.

I don't feel terrible about that score because of how poorly I've been practicing lately and because this course is tough. Playing from the blues on half the holes is challenging as I've only broken 100 a couple of times from them. The fact that I was using a 3h as my longest club made them even more challenging.

Made some decent shots and a lot of not-so-good ones. Overall, it was good to get out.

How do you like the KE4 hybrid?

Dave

View attachment 8941009

Not a bad score for so limited a bag... regardless, hope you had fun!

How do you like the KE4 hybrid?

Dave
Let's just say there's a reason I didn't give that club away. I like it a lot.

I'm not a long hitter, but when I catch that club right I'm getting over 200 yards with it. I topped 2 tee shots with it today which were costly, pushed one and pulled another slightly with both remaining in play. Every other shot was straight and with decent distance. I feel like it's been a solid club for the four rounds this year.

I'm considering ordering a set of SGI irons with those same Maltby Pro Series graphite shafts. What's the worst that can happen.... I might shoot crappy scores? Lol.

Not a bad score for so limited a bag... regardless, hope you had fun!
Ordinarily, I wouldn't be ok with 105, but I've been fighting the shanks all year and had only one or two today. So yeah, it was fun. Playing with fewer clubs is something I'd like to do more often. I don't think it hurts my score that much, if at all.

Let's just say there's a reason I didn't give that club away. I like it a lot.

I'm not a long hitter, but when I catch that club right I'm getting over 200 yards with it. I topped 2 tee shots with it today which were costly, pushed one and pulled another slightly with both remaining in play. Every other shot was straight and with decent distance. I feel like it's been a solid club for the four rounds this year.

I'm considering ordering a set of SGI irons with those same Maltby Pro Series graphite shafts. What's the worst that can happen.... I might shoot crappy scores? Lol.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't be ok with 105, but I've been fighting the shanks all year and had only one or two today. So yeah, it was fun. Playing with fewer clubs is something I'd like to do more often. I don't think it hurts my score that much, if at all.
Good attitude, and great reason to keep the club!

You may want to consider some old Pings. I have a set of G15s that are tanks. I've used them for years and they still look really good. They are not pretty, but look a lot better after you've hit a good shot!

I have some TE forged that I had intended to game this season, but Illinois is basically on lock down. Driving ranges, putting greens, etc... are closed. The only way I can practice is using my net in the backyard. I think the TE forged would work great if I was able to practice, but I'm not. Therefore, I'm going with the G15 set this season.

The work league kicks off tomorrow night! My goal is simple -- break 50!

If you want Maltby irons with the Pro shaft, they have the new STi2, but the MOI is not that high. I think the KE4 Tour + may be the best pick for forgiveness. Tehuti uses those if I recall correctly.

Dave

I have some TE forged that I had intended to game this season, but Illinois is basically on lock down. Driving ranges, putting greens, etc... are closed. The only way I can practice is using my net in the backyard. I think the TE forged would work great if I was able to practice, but I'm not. Therefore, I'm going with the G15 set this season.

The work league kicks off tomorrow night! My goal is simple -- break 50!

If you want Maltby irons with the Pro shaft, they have the new STi2, but the MOI is not that high. I think the KE4 Tour + may be the best pick for forgiveness. Tehuti uses those if I recall correctly.

Dave
You're not gaming those TE forged? That's a shame, but I guess you have to go with what you're most comfortable with. I hope you do well in the league, keep us posted.

I have the STi2's in the shopping cart, GW through 6i with the Maltby shafts. Irons with a wider sole seem to help me, and the STi2's have a wide sole. But I hadn't looked at the MPF numbers. Damn, now I don't know what to do. Will have to think this one over.

View attachment 8941009

I played a set of those Radial's one winter and had a blast with them. My MacGregor's stung like hell in the winter on a miss hit.

You're not gaming those TE forged? That's a shame, but I guess you have to go with what you're most comfortable with. I hope you do well in the league, keep us posted.

I have the STi2's in the shopping cart, GW through 6i with the Maltby shafts. Irons with a wider sole seem to help me, and the STi2's have a wide sole. But I hadn't looked at the MPF numbers. Damn, now I don't know what to do. Will have to think this one over.

Nope, not to start. If/when practice areas open I'd like to put it through the paces and get used to them seeing the real ball flight.

Hitting into a net off a mat is not the same thing as playing on real grass on the course. I'd be really worried that I've stumbled into the fats or something that the mat is masking. I do plan to use the TE forged long term.

Right now I need to go with what I have confidence in and the G15s are a known quantity. I've had them for almost 7 years and have worked on grooving them the past couple days. I feel I'm in a good place with my golf game given the circumstances.

I had been playing with a Maltby KE4 FDI that uses the same hybrid shaft (mine is R flex) as you have in your Tour TC and I really like it too. It is plenty stable with still feeling good.

Dave

Hello, all!
Played nine yesterday, and, while not stinking up the course, I did emit a fairly rank odor.
Played 18 today and smelled about the same.
Highlights: SW, GW, and PW were pretty solid. Kisner Effect is real.
Lowlight from Saturday: unable to hit anything that isn’t an iron.
Interesting factoid from today: played irons-only (4-SW in the bag), and shot a 52/53 on the same course I played a few weeks ago and hit a 150. It was really squishy, and the greens were pretty ragged, so that didn’t help.
Interesting factoid #2: I am now a draw/strong draw/hook machine. I was a fade/strong fade/slice machine for 25 years, so at least I cured that.
Hard pondering an irons-only season. Very hard ponder. I hadn’t hit my 4-iron in over a year, and the shots with it off the tee ranged from dead-center to in-the-rough-but-not-too-bad.

#2: I am now a draw/strong draw/hook machine. I was a fade/strong fade/slice machine for 25 years, so at least I cured that.
Same here. While the novelty of watching a right to left ball flight hasn't yet worn off, over-drawing can be every bit as damaging as that slice used to be. Unfortunately, something else that has come about from my draw producing setup is the ability to now shank the ball.

Same here. While the novelty of watching a right to left ball flight hasn't yet worn off, over-drawing can be every bit as damaging as that slice used to be. Unfortunately, something else that has come about from my draw producing setup is the ability to now shank the ball.
It’s a value-adding feature!

I had, quite possibly, the most frustrating round ever today. I was 19 over on the front. YES, 19 OVER AFTER 9 HOLES. I was, literally, ready to go home and sell my sticks. I have no idea what got into me on the back but I played it at 5 over for a total of 95. God I hate (love) this stupid f***ing game. 20200503_175855.jpg

I had, quite possibly, the most frustrating round ever today. I was 19 over on the front. YES, 19 OVER AFTER 9 HOLES. I was, literally, ready to go home and sell my sticks. I have no idea what got into me on the back but I played it at 5 over for a total of 95. God I hate (love) this stupid f***ing game.
I so feel your pain, man! Every once in a while that day happens when you've just got nothing good going on. Great comeback on the back nine, though!

I had, quite possibly, the most frustrating round ever today. I was 19 over on the front. YES, 19 OVER AFTER 9 HOLES. I was, literally, ready to go home and sell my sticks. I have no idea what got into me on the back but I played it at 5 over for a total of 95. God I hate (love) this stupid f***ing game. View attachment 8941104
Well, certainly seems like the "still drunk from last night" wore off.

Back