Trying To Break 90 Club

Had an interesting discussion with a "coach" today saying its not the number of putts 2 is good, but what did it take to get those two putts. focus on those shots being a little bit better. whether that is more approaches on the green or better chips to maybe have a shot at 1 putts.
Cannot stress this enough. I can have my fair share of 3 putts, but in my own personal head there is not a single excuse for me to have one. For me I have really been shoring up my game 100 yards and in to try to mitigate the blowup hole. I have now gone 4 rounds in a row of at least one putt made outside of 20 feet. Going to play a par 70 course today so I am interested to see if I can actually keep my score under 90. Theoretically yes I should.....but we shall see.

Got my round in today, shot a 43/46. Iron play continues to improve. Played a course new to me, I enjoyed the layout, was just a bit frustrated with the greens. They were either really slow or just slow. Also very difficult pin positions, I'm talking the type that sit right on a ridge. So for me my short game suffered because of it. But I can't wait to go back and give it a go again.

I shot a 48/46 = 94 on Wednesday, my game is all over the place right now. Just inconsistent with everything - I'll string a few good holes together, then blow up and look like I've never played golf before for a stretch of 2-3 holes. Putting is the only thing that is halfway decent (with emphasis on 'halfway'!). I've been bouncing up and down above and below the 90 line, just can't consistently stay in the 80s. Going back out tomorrow to try to redeem myself.

I know the feeling. Shot 48/48 Wednesday. Two blowup holes on each nine. Started back nine with a bogey, total meltdown on #11- duck hook into hazard, topped the third from drop zone, fourth into the sand box, two strokes to get out and then sunk a 20 ft putt.
Birdie 180 yard par 3 next. Then par 518 yd par 5 (hole pictured in my avatar).
One day it may all come together. Still better than this time last year.

It’s been half dozen rounds since I’ve broke 90. My game has fallen into a pattern, I start rough, it usually takes three or four holes to loosen up, then I’m doing pretty well, mid round I can put together a string of pars and bogies, somewhere on the back I’ll realize I’ve got a good round going then I blow up a hole or two, I can usually get it together by the finish but i find myself in the mid 90s.
I did play the last 72 holes with the same ball, so I have that going for me.

Last edited:
Better today. 43/44 = 87. Still a lot of room for improvement and I need to eliminate the blowup holes, but felt a lot better about my game today. 28 putts, including two 0-putts and four 1-putts, no 3-putts. It stung to end with a double bogey, though.

Better today. 43/44 = 87. Still a lot of room for improvement and I need to eliminate the blowup holes, but felt a lot better about my game today. 28 putts, including two 0-putts and four 1-putts, no 3-putts. It stung to end with a double bogey, though.

Good recovery!

those two zero putts had to feel great.

those two zero putts had to feel great.
It was fun! The chip-in, and the other one was a slippery breaking downhill 20' putt from the fringe on a par 5. Every so often I amaze myself! :ROFLMAO:

I shot 95 yesterday. 3 triples and 2 doubles were my downfall. If those were bogeys it’s an 87. I get anther shot at it today.

Today's round I felt that I played rather poorly. duffed too many shots. Yet somehow managed to not blow up any holes. Inspite of really mucking things up on many occasions. I choked a sure birdie 2 ft putt on the third hole. (a par 3 that I hit a near perfect off the tee.) I took 4 penalties. Which is still a lot but better than normal. On 9, I took a mulligan off the tee because the guys rolling up behind us came screeching to a halt at our tee box during my downswing. I pared it with the re-tee.

On the par 3 12th, I hit my first well into the water. Hit again from the 170yard tee box and saved a 5! Managed 5 pars on the day. And somehow for the first time avoided any triples! 45/45 = 90. for a personal best. So close!

1589145281769.png

I have attempted to come back to golf 3 times in the past 10 years but gave it up out of frustration, and a lot of ego. I was a single digit player for about 27 years until I had my right eye lose coordination with the left. I had no depth perception at all, so I gave it up again about 2 1/2 years ago (again) and gave everything away. I finally found an eye doctor at the (Portsmouth Navy Hospital)) who had the patience and dedication to eventually diagnose my problem after every civilian eye doctor blew me off. He diagnosed me with Strabismus. He said that my right eye went out of alignment from the left by about 10 degrees and the cause is unknown. The doc has me practicing left eye dominance when I am up close to things and it's slowly working out. It's not perfect, but it's close enough to let the body's muscles react to what I am seeing.

I expect to be in the 90's with the rest of you for a while........ and sharing all of our war stories. ;)

Had a good round yesterday with an 82, just wished I could to that all the time. Been hanging in the 90s though which is nice from where I was at 100s. Now got to get below 90 and stay there.

Had a good round yesterday with an 82, just wished I could to that all the time. Been hanging in the 90s though which is nice from where I was at 100s. Now got to get below 90 and stay there.

If you shot a 82, then you know that you are well on your way.

Course management, and a fairly decent short game will keep you in the 80's very easily.

I always considered myself as a low 80's player talent wise, who thought his way into the 70's most of the time. I had a little length, but I was pretty average with everything else.

I shot 95 yesterday. 3 triples and 2 doubles were my downfall. If those were bogeys it’s an 87. I get anther shot at it today.
Today was the day. I had 4 or 5 blowup holes again but I was able to put together a 43/41-84 today. That’s the first time under 90 in ages, I’m thinking at least a year but probably longer.

If you shot a 82, then you know that you are well on your way.

Course management, and a fairly decent short game will keep you in the 80's very easily.

I always considered myself as a low 80's player talent wise, who thought his way into the 70's most of the time. I had a little length, but I was pretty average with everything else.
I agree with course management and a decent short game is key to staying in good numbers. I think we can often have that exceptional day where everything seems to work really well.

I am hopeful that my game will get better stabilized and I have hope that I can get there. With all the hard work I have done I have seen a lot of improvement which really shows me how much one needs to work in the right areas and not simply go out and just hit balls.

It wasn't that long ago that I struggled getting on the greens and now I am hitting a lot of greens which alone has changed my game. It took me a while to realize how my practice has helped me, but now I keep my practice focus on obtaining something of value.

Back up to 91 today, ugh. The wind made things a little interesting and I just didn't have my "A" game today, bad combo. 4 doubles didn't help matters either.

Aaaand back below the line today with an 87. Started off a little windy but calmed down, which is unusual for us - usually if it starts off windy, it's just going to get more windy as the day goes on.

Played another 9 today walking. It's going to be a while before I walk 18.

Shot a 45 with a snap hook OB, and and a water hazard drop. I still don't trust any swing right now, and that by itself is a fast lane to failure. I shanked a wedge under the same condition as I had last weekend while attempting a 1/2 shot off a tight lie.. I'll blame it on being a little tense.

Putting sux. No feel.

2nd hole at Eagle Haven (Little Creek JEB)

2nd Hole.jpg

Overall? No worries! ;)

Monday round posted a 92, 46-46. Started to develop a more right side miss with the driver half way through the round and changed the hosel setting from 1* Draw to a +1.5* setting to seee what it would do and it worked well for the back 9.

Approach shots kept me out of too much trouble. Hit 6 GIR which I am feeling pretty good about. 41 putts for the round though, which should have been much better. Is the only round, of my last 6 that was over 40 putts which is my normal average.

Good to read some sub 90 reports; I’m still hovering in the mid-90s, looking for a break through.

I did have a bit of an epiphany Sunday after seeing the Mickey Wright swing tip below. I didn’t put I tee in the ground but I did make an effort to start my takeaway low and slow, it appears I gained a club length of distance with this one simple change. My round at the executive last night backed up my experience Sunday. Judging distance and selecting the correct club on the short course is a big deal, despite overshooting several greens I managed 11 pars and a 10 over round. I can’t wait to get on a big course this weekend.

Link to Mickey Wright Swig Tip

Good to read some sub 90 reports; I’m still hovering in the mid-90s, looking for a break through.

I did have a bit of an epiphany Sunday after seeing the Mickey Wright swing tip below. I didn’t put I tee in the ground but I did make an effort to start my takeaway low and slow, it appears I gained a club length of distance with this one simple change. My round at the executive last night backed up my experience Sunday. Judging distance and selecting the correct club on the short course is a big deal, despite overshooting several greens I managed 11 pars and a 10 over round. I can’t wait to get on a big course this weekend.

Interesting tip, will have to give that a shot on my next round. (y)

It's amazing how much difference one little swing tip/thought can make sometimes.

Back