Trying To Break 90 Club

When I broke 90 I had some good breaks. They are part of golf. Just like the bad breaks.
Great round!
Thanks bro! It was nice to finally do right by the PTX Pros. Congrats as well on getting that sub-90 round :D

Played a fun course, Burnside Island, on Friday while on a little weekend getaway to Lake Cumberland, Ky. First hole is par 5 and there are 2 more on the front side. My playing partners really struggled and were sitting holes out if they couldn't get off the tee. I kept plugging away, and came in with a 47 which felt ok. The course was in great shape but the greens were slow. Fairways were zoysia not sure about the greens but they could best be described as chewy? But there were consistent and in great shape.

Anyways, played pretty solid on the back, pars & bogeys and came in at 40 for an 87. Fun round and will definitely go back. Super friendly people and very playable course.

On 6/10/21 I shot an 87 (from the white tees at North Kingstown Golf Course) breaking 90 for the first time since before my 10-year hiatus from playing golf. Having had a great day putting (29 putts with only one 3-putt) was a big reason for this score, but I also had on or near GIR 9 times.

My new goal is doing it again!

Last edited:
My last round, I puked my way to a 94 with 44 putts. I was very mental with my putting and all my mechanics broke down. It was pointed out that my eye line was not over the ball and that I was using my writs to putt instead of my torso. I was convinced that I needed to redo my complete approach to putting. While researching putting mirrors and proper set up, I re-found a video about how to determine where one should set up to address the ball when putting. Ball 10 ft from hole, with line aligned to a tee 6 inches from ball and on direct path to hole. Then find your head position that make them all line up. When I did this, I do need to be "off the line".

First - congrats on breaking 90!
I'll back up that video - the SeeMore instructors teach the eyes to be slightly inside the ball/aim line (probably for the reasons you mentioned).

There was one more tip in that video. Your job is not to make the ball go in the hole. Your job, as a putter, is to roll the ball end over end on your intended line. So that was how I approached my putting. Once you pick the line and pace, forget all about the hole and just focus on the stroke. boom, only 1 three putt.

It helps me to put the "triple track" lines all the way around my ball. Then when I line up a putt, my goal is to get the ball rolling without those lines wobbling. I visualize the path the ball will take to the hole, and I focus on making the correct swing length to get the right distance. For me, getting the speed right along with a good roll makes a huge difference.

Keep up the good work!

Thinking about the round earlier this week... I called it a jekyll & hyde round, +12 thru 7 holes, then +2 on the final 11... including a bad break when my tee shot rocketed off a sprinkler head just short & left of the green on the 17th hole. Even though it was a little easier course, I'll take an 85...

My last 3 rounds I have been oh so close to breaking 90 hitting each of them right on the nose. Each round, one part of my game was on fire, yet, some aspect of the rest was just meh.

Daughter got me an early fathers day round since she was attending a wedding the day of. Played with future son in law and my daughter and wife were chauffering us. Was the wifes first time to go out on course. We played at Frisco Lakes and the temps were in the high 90's with humidity making it feel like 108* according to my weather app and it was cart path only on top of it. Even with the thick air I started out on fire! Drives were great, approaches hitting GIR and yet, putting was off. Was +6 through 9 holes.

Back 9 started out well and continued with some good drives, some great approaches and some good putts. Through 13 holes I was +9 and feeling pretty good about how I was playing. Step up to the 14th hole tee and I could start to feel the energy level just plummet. Had been making sure I kept myself hydrated throughout the round. Not wanting to let my daughters hard earned money go to waste, I wanted to power through it and complete the round. Bogeyed 14 which is a par 3. Then step up on 15th and just shank the worst drive in a very long time for me which led to a massive blow up hole that ended up at 4 over on it. Proceeded to finish with bogey, double, bogey and a +12 on the back.

Until that 15th hole, this very easily would have been my best ever round.

This past weekend I got 2 rounds in. Played my home course both mornings.

Armed with a new to me Ping G425 LST driver that I was fit for on Friday in a visit to my local golf shop, they demo'd the driver to me to get some rounds in with so I could decide if wanted to purchase.

Saturday I got paired up with a fun group of guys from Louisiana that were in town and playing a scramble and were the last of 4 groups to tee off. First drive with the Ping was an absolute rocket and roller out ending up at 298 yards!! I knew I hit it well, but after they rounded up their ball and decided where they were hitting from, we arrived at my ball, and on this hole I have never been this so far up and on the fairway to boot :cool:. Was only 70 yards to get to green at that point. I proceeded to smash some great drives and through the entire round hit 50% of fairways. That is a rarity for me as I am such a predominant slicer with 50% right as my usual miss. Front I was +7 with only one hole I would consider a blow up at 7 with a double. Made some great putts, but some chips around greens were a bit chunky.

Now back to the group I was playing with. As they played their scramble and for each birdie they made, they were taking shots of schnaaps. They offered to me, so I joined in aswell. :ROFLMAO: Luckily for me, as I am not a big drinker, they only had 4 or was it 5 birdies made during the round. Had a few beers mixed in there as well. Was a great time and was shaping up to be a good round for me.

On the 10th to start the back, I smoked a fantastic 3 wood, 247 yards with a very slight fade on 10th to within 30 yards of the pin. Continued the back 9 playing pretty well with a double on 11th par 5. Then came to the 16th and I could really feel the schnaaps and beer getting to me, short drive left at edge of water and ended up with a double on 16. Then a quad on 18, the hardest hole of the course. Hit one into water on approach to the green and ended the back 9 +11 for an even 90.

Sunday morning round and paired up with a younger twosome. One of the guys was actually playing barefoot :ROFLMAO:. I hadn't encountered that before.

The driving pretty well again and was keeping me in play for the day. Hit 43% of fairways for another good driving round. Was +8 through the front with a pair of doubles on 3 and 4 and a few nice pars with a couple up and downs. Back 9 was a bit all over the place. Would have a great drive, but then a chunky approach shot, or good on approach and a short or chunky chip up. Putting was also not very good for the round with another right on the nose at 90.

As long as I can keep up with my improving drive and fairway percentage, I think the rest of my game is starting to come together. Made some swing changes back in March at my last lesson that has really helped my iron striking. Hitting them better than ever lately.

Can't wait for some Oklahoma and New Mexico golf coming up this weekend and into next week.

Sunday morning round and paired up with a younger twosome. One of the guys was actually playing barefoot :ROFLMAO:. I hadn't encountered that before.

The driving pretty well again and was keeping me in play for the day. Hit 43% of fairways for another good driving round. Was +8 through the front with a pair of doubles on 3 and 4 and a few nice pars with a couple up and downs. Back 9 was a bit all over the place. Would have a great drive, but then a chunky approach shot, or good on approach and a short or chunky chip up. Putting was also not very good for the round with another right on the nose at 90.

As long as I can keep up with my improving drive and fairway percentage, I think the rest of my game is starting to come together. Made some swing changes back in March at my last lesson that has really helped my iron striking. Hitting them better than ever lately.

Can't wait for some Oklahoma and New Mexico golf coming up this weekend and into next week.

From reading the last few posts...you're in a great grove. Confidence off the tee is such a great thing!

Continuing on my roll of trying to break 90.

Played last weekend at Oklahoma City Trosper with @MarMill. Driver did some work and hit 58% fairways. Shot an 86 for the day with quite a few good shots and driver keeping me in play. Tied for my personal best score this day :cool:

Highlight was a 260 yard drive where Will(on the right) and I drove within a foot of each other. I got him by a foot,but he had a great chance for eagle as his 2nd shot was on green and he ended with Birdie. I got the par on this hole.

6D138704-6CC8-47E0-9F5B-FC9E5C117F36.jpeg

University of New Mexico Championship course in Albuquerque.

Driver wasn't as cooperative this day and the conditions were pretty tough. Greens were extremely fast. Not to make excuses but they had a USGA qualifier the next day.

I shot 95 on the day with an equal mix of left, fairway and right side drives on the day.

Twin Warriors in Santa Ana Pueblo just north of Albuquerque.

Absolutely beautiful course and conditions were perfect. Morning tee time before it got hot, and had a good round with another single. 50% fairways hit and some solid irons play.

Highlight here was towards end of round, playing partner and I were waiting for fairway to open up and we were discussing hole outs. I had never hit one before and he told me about the few he has had. Had a drive to the right on 17 into the natural desert area, was able to find my ball without issue, and got out with a 7 iron to within 50 yards of the pin. Next shot was with my 56* and I hit the ball and knew it was on line, it hit the flag and dropped straight down. From my vantage point, I could see part of the ball so thought was likely on the edge. Walked up to it to see the flag holding my ball halfway down the hole, sweet Birdie. I have chipped in from around the green before, but never had a hole out from 50+ before. :cool:

I ended up shooting an 89 for the day (y)

9F935C71-8D96-4AEC-92D5-300A997A18FD.jpeg

Paako Ridge just outside of Albuquerque earlier this week. The course has 3 sets of 9 holes, only the 1st and 3rd holes were open for the day with the 2nd having tee boxes under repair.

Went in to pro shop to check in and the guy starts to give me instructions that they are starting on the 3rd 9 holes today and then move to 1st 9. Come to find out, I failed to listen close enough in the excitement of what I knew would be a great and picturesque round of golf.

So I headed to the range to hit a few balls before my tee time. Directed my driver(my wife) to the 1st hole to get started. Teed off and thought nothing of it until we got to maybe the 5th or 6th hole where grounds crews were mowing fairways and around greens. I told my wife that I think I may have started on the wrong 9 as there was no one behind us, no one in front of us and no one on neighboring holes. I continued playing and got as far as the 8th hole and then I absolutely knew I had messed up, crews were on the 9th hole with mowers everywhere so I didn't play the 9th hole.

Stopped into the pro shop to admit my error and to be sure I wouldn't mess things up if I played the starting 9 I should have played to begin with. They were understanding and said no worries to go ahead and play starting on 19 and I could then go replay starting on 1. So that is what I did, ended up playing 27 holes at this amazing course. Posted some pics of each hole in a thread here if anyone is interested https://www.thehackersparadise.com/.../albuquerque-area-golf.8931563/#post-10003790

To end this lengthy post, I shot 44 on first 9 after I replayed 9 to finish it out, hitting 50% fairways. One highlight here was the 6th hole and driving the green on a 280 yard par 4. I was not able to take advantage and 4 putted on this large green :oops:

46 on the back 9 hitting 58% fairways, and then another 44 on the first 9 hitting 50% fairways, taking the course up on replaying those holes again. Total time to play the 27 holes was under 4 hours :ROFLMAO:, the benefits of playing on your own with hardly any other golfers in front. We didn't get held up until about the 6th hole as we ended the day.

The course was absolutely pristine and had a great time playing. Was the wife's 2nd time out and she will become a regular driver for me when I play on a resort or vacation destination.

Another couple rounds where I am getting under 90, probably time to head over to the 80 thread :cool:

Saturday morning last week with my brother who was in town, and driver did not cooperate at all, only hit 2 fairways. But, wasn't off too badly and my irons really performed and kept me in play and hitting GIR. Shot an 88.

Played in the morning yesterday. Happened to get paired with 2 big time Cobra golf fans. Much discussion was had related to equipment, of course I told them about The Morgan Cup - they couldn't believe when I told them all about it, and of course Bryson's comments the day before :ROFLMAO:

DEE75AAD-754D-409D-98B4-776EE92460EF.jpeg

On to the golf, driver was just ok, had a real nice fade going early on and then a bit bigger fade came into play on later holes, guess I was getting a bit lazy there. Never too far off fairway or in big trouble though.

Irons and approach shots were again on fire. Hit 9 of 18 GIR. Some of those greens, I was a ways away from the hole though setting up some not so easy putts. Had a few 3 putts on the day unfortunately. I think as my irons continue to improve I will start getting myself dialed in and a getting a bit closer to holes.

At the end of the round I reviewed my Arccos shots and added any missed putts or shots, and saw that I had shot an 85! This is my new personal best!!

Finally broke 90 for the first time this season (88). I've really struggled this year, so this one is a breath of fresh air. On to breaking 85!

I can't seem to cross the barrier. Something always happens. I played a round where it should have happened, but there was the 7th hole. I landed in the bunker. Now the bunkers are usually rock hard at the course so I thumped it and my club went right under the ball and the ball didn't move. Second attempt... it barely made contact with the ball but at least moved it out of that spot. Third attempt. Out with a stop and side roll on the green. I ended up with a triple bogey. I was in three other bunkers on the front 9 and got out of the others in one with tour-like shots that allowed for short putts... one saved par. The others would have if I didn't screw up elsewhere.

This pissed me off and I put some heat on the tee shot on the 8th, but I missed the fairway left and had a sidehill lie. I aimed right of the green with the GW and landed that 6' from the hole and putted for birdie.

I was thinking par on every hole all day until it wasn't possible. All in all it was a fun day. It had its ups and downs. I shot a 90... again. I had 32 putts. I only hit 5 fairways and 5 GIRs. The latter needs to improve if I am to break 90.

3 birds and 5 pars today and still only managed an 89. Cant make this stuff up.
Dont get me wrong I am happy with one of my several sub 90 rounds this season but the feast/famine golf is killing me at the same time.

Ive been having many pars each round and even share of birds but my famine golf of trips and quads or worse mixed in is mindboggling. but normal...lol

and similar to whats been happening to me. Again today another round with good play (7pars) yet still only managed a 91.
Just always a couple/few holes where things go wrong and it could be from tee through green or anywhere in between. Just cant seem to get rid of triples or quads or even a non finish hole here or there.

God golf with good ball striking for many holes but always the swing fails greatly on what are simple basic golf shots. It just fails and is what it is. And the fails are not aligned with anything. Sometimes its consecutive holes and other times its scattered many hole apart.

What i hate most is starting with a blow up like a triple or quad or getting to in the first 4 or 5 holes and then Im sitting like 8 after only 5 holes of golf. Then I can do all different things like even rattle off 3 pars in a row and maybe even have a bird in there and feel so much better but then Ill have another blow up 2 holes later. before you know it Im struggling to keep things under 90.

Been doing this for decades. Gotta laugh at myself for it though cause if I dont Ill just stick forks in y eyes.

Thread has gone dormant for a while......we need to get @Bowtiepower00 to start posting his rounds here. As for me I have been training hard for the Morgan Cup, started the journey in May at nearly 20 HDCP, and will end it at 17.3. have had some amazing rounds over the last month. I know for me personally my game is dependent on length of the course. I feel I play well in that 6k to 6200 range, and it goes squirrely when I get over the 6300 mark. Not sure if its a mental thing of not.

Since I have got my Morgan cup clubs my scores are as follows, 87, 89, 89, 92, 82 (5600 yrds), 91, 93, 90, 84, 86 (5600), 85 (5600), 94, 94, 87, 77 (5600), 82, 89.

The 5600 yard course is a nice little complex near my house. I use that yardage to practice on my approach shots which according to arccos is my nemesis of my game. Putting I am good at, and my driving percentage is 58%.

Thread has gone dormant for a while......we need to get @Bowtiepower00 to start posting his rounds here. As for me I have been training hard for the Morgan Cup, started the journey in May at nearly 20 HDCP, and will end it at 17.3. have had some amazing rounds over the last month. I know for me personally my game is dependent on length of the course. I feel I play well in that 6k to 6200 range, and it goes squirrely when I get over the 6300 mark. Not sure if its a mental thing of not.

Since I have got my Morgan cup clubs my scores are as follows, 87, 89, 89, 92, 82 (5600 yrds), 91, 93, 90, 84, 86 (5600), 85 (5600), 94, 94, 87, 77 (5600), 82, 89.

The 5600 yard course is a nice little complex near my house. I use that yardage to practice on my approach shots which according to arccos is my nemesis of my game. Putting I am good at, and my driving percentage is 58%.
If work quits getting in the way, I hope to get out as much as possible now that it’s cooling off. But it looks like it might be a couple of weeks before I get another round in.

On my favorite lefty friendly 5600 yard course you mention above, I have gone as low as 85 as of late. Throw me on a new-to-me course around 6000ish and add in the pressure of a league atmosphere, and my score jumps to 100 pretty darn quickly. Lol. Hoping to get some lessons and some serious range time in this winter.

Looks like I’ll be calling this place home for a bit. My 2 scored rounds this season were 94 and 99. I’ll be getting out in a few weeks to see if I can improve on that number. Shook up the bag with some new irons so I’m pretty much guaranteed to do better. That’s how it works, right? :cool:

I'd like to get back to the right side of 90. it's been a minute since I've accomplished that.

I'd like to get back to the right side of 90. it's been a minute since I've accomplished that.
You're close Brian! You for sure will be there consistently

Back