Trying To Break 90 Club

Consistency for me. I am hitting fairways off the tee but can then totally blow up with my second shot. I'm averaging 2 putts a hole now, short game is vastly improved. I just need to get that constant swing on the bit in-between. For example there is a course here with a short Par 4 dog leg left around 295 - 300 metres. The last 2 rounds my second shot has been 95 - 100 metres out which should be a straight forward PW. First round I shanked it, 2nd round I pushed it right into a deep bunker. On the range my PW is straight, high and lands 100 - 110 every time. Next hole a Par 5 was driver, 5 wood, chip on to 15 feet got the jitters and 2 putted for par.

Inconsistency is my middle name at the moment, fortunately I change jobs next month. This puts me back on a 6 and 6 week rotation working shifts with a decent course and range very close to try and get more consistent.

Sounds like you guys know what you have to do, I'm excited for you, I remember how happy I was when I had me milestone rounds and there's no doubt you guys have this. I hope it comes soon for you.

Been playing golf seriously for about 2 years. My lowest has been a 93. I felt that I plateau'ed and got some lessons. Since I got lessons I've been stuck in the 100's after consistently shooting 97ish. Is it normal to regress 10 strokes after lessons???? Want to get back to near where I was and then improve from there

Been playing golf seriously for about 2 years. My lowest has been a 93. I felt that I plateau'ed and got some lessons. Since I got lessons I've been stuck in the 100's after consistently shooting 97ish. Is it normal to regress 10 strokes after lessons???? Want to get back to near where I was and then improve from there

I've had the same experience. I take lessons regulalarly. I lost 10 strokes when I first started lessons because of major swing chances and got back them back down after a month or two of engraining the changes in. The same thing happened when I switched to players irons, but I hit them well now and it took about a month to adjust to them too. Then I changed instructors and went from a fade to a draw swing and that set me back for a month or so too.

Many normal course I played was a short, wide open course. So playng other courses that requires more skill kicked my butt too. I'm playing much more difficult courses now so hopefully my handicap will travel at some point.

54 holes since Friday afternoon. 94, 97, 96. While the scorecard doesn't necessarily reflect it, I saw steady improvement in areas I've struggled with. So while I'm disappointed I haven't broken 90 yet this year, I'm gaining confidence that I'm going in the correct direction.

I can't piece a solid game together to save my life. I had a short game lesson Thursday and warmed up before with my irons. My instructor commented on how incredible my iron shots were because he was watching me.

Fast forward to today's round and I listerally had the sh@nk$. I couldn't hit an iron to save my life. I finally got my driver working for me and hit 11/14 fairways with no penalties from the driver and still shot a 117. I had 5 penalties from errant iron shots. Plus 6 extra bunker shots. To be fair to myself, it was a really tough course and my first time to play it.

My putting was bad at 40, mostly from putting too hard on fast greens leaving 8 feet past the hole on lag putts. My short game was okay outside of that, but nothing special. AND 0/18 GIR's thanks to my irons.

I went over the round with my instructor afterwards and his response was that sometimes golf is like having a bucket with 4 holes and only 3 fingers to plug the holes with...

Went 44/49 for a 93. The 49 was on a 9 hole run I hadn't played before, but I started it bogey bogey and thought I was in good shape to finally break 90. Went double, quadruple, triple on the next 3 holes and that all went out the window. On the 6th I actually went OB on my tee shot, hit my provisional the opposite direction into another fairway, but put a 3 wood over a tree into a greenside bunker, up and down for a bogey 6. Only reason I mentally salvaged the back 9 lol.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

92 this weekend, so close to breaking 90 again. Hit an errant tee shot on the back into a hazard and took a drop. Some sloppy approach shots, but damn did I make some sand saves!

Evey 2nd or 3rd round I shoot a 96 or 97, in-between I'll shoot a 102 or so. Now i'm working hard on the big mistakes (second shot) and hopping to break 90 soon.

Been playing for 9 months now. After trying to break 110 and 100 I'm now crawling towards 90.

I shot a personal best of 43 on 9 holes a couple of weeks ago, and I regularly shoot 44/45, so it should be possible, but my pb on 18 holes remains at 94.

Been playing for 9 months now. After trying to break 110 and 100 I'm now crawling towards 90.

I shot a personal best of 43 on 9 holes a couple of weeks ago, and I regularly shoot 44/45, so it should be possible, but my pb on 18 holes remains at 94.

all in 9 months? that is impressive, keep at it, it looks like you have gift

all in 9 months? that is impressive, keep at it, it looks like you have gift
Thanks! Never had a single lesson either, and I rarely visit the range. My regular playing partner thinks I have a fairly easy and accurate swing because I played hockey at a high level. But I really need to work on the long game will I ever break the 90, as that's my game's biggest weakness. Reckon I'm losing 6-8 shots a round on it.

Thanks! Never had a single lesson either, and I rarely visit the range. My regular playing partner thinks I have a fairly easy and accurate swing because I played hockey at a high level. But I really need to work on the long game will I ever break the 90, as that's my game's biggest weakness. Reckon I'm losing 6-8 shots a round on it.

I'm pretty much the same, I usually shoot in the mid 90s while hiting 2-3 fairways and 2-3 greens a round, I know where to work

I've had the same experience. I take lessons regulalarly. I lost 10 strokes when I first started lessons because of major swing chances and got back them back down after a month or two of engraining the changes in. The same thing happened when I switched to players irons, but I hit them well now and it took about a month to adjust to them too. Then I changed instructors and went from a fade to a draw swing and that set me back for a month or so too.

Many normal course I played was a short, wide open course. So playng other courses that requires more skill kicked my butt too. I'm playing much more difficult courses now so hopefully my handicap will travel at some point.

Thanks. Glad 2 know I'm not the only 1

Thanks. Glad 2 know I'm not the only 1

On the easy course I was playing I had golf Logix showing me at a 15 handicap. Then instarted mixing in harder courses and jumped up to between 18-20 depending on how often I played the easy course. Last week I started playing at a new club I joined with 4 hard courses. I just jumped to a 23.3 and expect it to get worse before it gets better. I will likely be posting from the Trying to Break 100 thread after tomorrow...I'm playing in the morning.

On the easy course I was playing I had golf Logix showing me at a 15 handicap. Then instarted mixing in harder courses and jumped up to between 18-20 depending on how often I played the easy course. Last week I started playing at a new club I joined with 4 hard courses. I just jumped to a 23.3 and expect it to get worse before it gets better. I will likely be posting from the Trying to Break 100 thread after tomorrow...I'm playing in the morning.

I play most of my golf between 4 courses, 2 easier ones and 2 tougher ones. Doesn't the slope and rating take care of the difference in difficulty for the most part in regards to your handicap? I shot a 91 at one of the tougher courses and my differential was 18.7 compared to an 83 at an easier one with almost the same differential 18.3. Score was 8 strokes better but hardly any difference in the handicap calculation.

I play most of my golf between 4 courses, 2 easier ones and 2 tougher ones. Doesn't the slope and rating take care of the difference in difficulty for the most part in regards to your handicap? I shot a 91 at one of the tougher courses and my differential was 18.7 compared to an 83 at an easier one with almost the same differential 18.3. Score was 8 strokes better but hardly any difference in the handicap calculation.

Yes, but if I slice on the easy course it's almost always playable. On the harder courses it almost always results in a lost ball, penalty stroke, and hitting for 3...Those add up fast.

Yes, but if I slice on the easy course it's almost always playable. On the harder courses it almost always results in a lost ball, penalty stroke, and hitting for 3...Those add up fast.

I know what you're saying there. I averaged twice as many penalty strokes on the tougher courses with a high of 9 twice.

I know what you're saying there. I averaged twice as many penalty strokes on the tougher courses with a high of 9 twice.

Which for some could mean an additional 18 strokes to their total score depending on where you are hitting from after the penalty.

A 93 this afternoon on a pretty tight course 72/133. 5 pars, 7 bogies, 4 doubles and 2 triples. Off the tee was 50%, and hit 6 GIR's which I am pretty happy with. Now looking forward to getting back home and to my home course to see what I can do round there on Wednesday morning. Nothing today was stand out ish, had a few one putts which helped, I mixed up clubs off, the tee mini driver and when I felt that was going ok pulled the driver out. Most par 4's were 7 or 8 irons for the second shot. Just a relaxing round, I wasn't really taking notice of my scores as I marked the card so was pleasantly surprised when I totalled up at the end.

According to golf shake that has dropped my handicap down to 22.4. So that is trending down nicely at the moment.

This speaks to a point I made earlier in the thread. As much as I like playing a higher end course they are usually much more difficult and for my game I'd much rather be able to still play most errant drives. Lots of penalties can take a little fun out of the round no matter how nice the course is.

Got home today after 4 days out of town and 5 without touching a club. Took 2 practice swings then smashed 5 beauties in a row into the net with the 6 iron.I need to go play right NOW. Tomorrow morning it might be gone.

had another one of those rollercoaster rounds. shot 95 on a course I should have totaled under 90. par 71, 69.2/118... something I can normally handle. Not today, though. Missed quite a few birdie putts, and missed quite a few greens entirely. I hit 8 greens, but on 6 holes I really screwed the pooch. oh well. It was some absolutely beautiful weather, a course I had never played before, and I got to spend the afternoon with my dad. Forget the score - it was a great day of golf.

had another one of those rollercoaster rounds. shot 95 on a course I should have totaled under 90. par 71, 69.2/118... something I can normally handle. Not today, though. Missed quite a few birdie putts, and missed quite a few greens entirely. I hit 8 greens, but on 6 holes I really screwed the pooch. oh well. It was some absolutely beautiful weather, a course I had never played before, and I got to spend the afternoon with my dad. Forget the score - it was a great day of golf.
Amen to the roller coaster. Sounds like yours was better tho. Walked 18, 74 degrees south GA oh yeah! 1st hole 58* over cedar tree to 4 ft! Next hole, shank/blade everything down the par 5 fairway (or rough I mean). No better for the next 3 holes. On #6 I said okay, stop and think about what you are doing. Had some time so I took a few swings, thought a couple thoughts and cleared my head. It was a short/tight par 4 so I took the 5 iron as usual and stroked one to about 170, bout as good as it gets for me. Then a 9 for the 120 yd approach 10 ft to flag. Long story short things went a lot better after that. Stuck a 8 iron within 8ft on a 145 yd par 3 and made the birdie putt! Made several perfect flush shots with everything under the 5 iron. Found I'm having trouble with timing(planting forward, hip turn, releasing the club head etc). On a positive note I found 4 mint proV1's! Bringing home the bacon!

Back