Trying To Break 90 Club

Finally broke through today. Went out in 44, in with 42 for an 86 and a new PB. 9/14 FW, 6/18 GIR and 36 putts. I drove the ball well and hit decent approaches. Outside of two doubles on par 5's on the front, I avoided unforced errors.

Greens were slow as they are still healing from a long winter, so putting wasn't there today. I did birdie 4 & 18 which was nice. Hopefully I can build on this and keep on plugging away

Shot a dead on 90 today (46/44)

Struggling off the tee and putting it killing me as well.

Guess i need to get a little more time in on the range / practice green

Finally broke through today. Went out in 44, in with 42 for an 86 and a new PB. 9/14 FW, 6/18 GIR and 36 putts. I drove the ball well and hit decent approaches. Outside of two doubles on par 5's on the front, I avoided unforced errors.

Greens were slow as they are still healing from a long winter, so putting wasn't there today. I did birdie 4 & 18 which was nice. Hopefully I can build on this and keep on plugging away
Hell Yeah! Way to go!

Just now starting to flirt with 90... we've sat at the bar and had a drink, but that's it for now :act-up:

Shot 96 with 34 putts (only one 3 putt) yesterday. My short game is not great... I think if I can focus for a few weeks on pitching and sand saves I can get to 90.

46/46 (course 35/37) yesterday with 3 penalties,32 putts, best I played on the back as a whole but holes that I normally play well I messed up. As for the front well that's another story. Had some doubles due to stupidity.

edit: my handicap factor just broke through 20, now a 19.9 with this last round, start of season was 24.7

Got in some good short game practice yesterday and have two rounds booked this week (9 holes Thurs, 18 Friday). Two more days of short game practice before I take another shot at 90.

Staying in the mid 90's the past couple rounds with the exact same results, front 9 I shoot a 50 and the back 9 I shoot a 45. The front's scores basically reflect still getting used to hitting my irons about 10 yards farther than I did last year and over shooting the greens. I've changed my grip this year and I have developed a natural draw that has also given me about 20 more yards with my driver. It's a welcome addition to my game, but right now it's actually hurting me with my irons since I can't gauge my distances just yet in this season.

Next USGA revision I should be back down in the 19 handicap range and hopefully I will get to my goal of being close to a 15 this year.

47 today and it sounds as bad as it looks. Just didn't have it and made so many bone headed mistakes off the tee with irons. Just pathetic it was like I was expecting to hit a solid shot and not doing the things to make it actually happen. Very frustrating.

Stupid penalties on a course I have played hundreds of times just trying to take the positives from today and forget the negatives and move forward. My reality is I need to find away to swing a club at home somehow. I have no time to practice and when I was playing well last Summer I could actually practice on the range or even course, those days are gone.

I need to seriously figure this swing set up for my garage.

Re-visiting this thread.
Last few rounds - 87, 101, 95, 88, 81. A model of (in)consistency. And the three 80's rounds were away from my home course.

Two days of short game practice in this week and I'm feeling better about things from 100 yards in to the green. I'm still a bit inconsistent on the pitch shots though. My misses tend to be thin.

One more session on the range tonight, 9 holes in the morning tomorrow then playing a scramble with my coworkers on Friday (http://www.forestparkgc.com/) so I won't have the opportunity to track my score. Which is fine - it's a new course for me Friday so I don't see it as a great chance to break 90 anyway.

47 today and it sounds as bad as it looks. Just didn't have it and made so many bone headed mistakes off the tee with irons. Just pathetic it was like I was expecting to hit a solid shot and not doing the things to make it actually happen. Very frustrating.

Stupid penalties on a course I have played hundreds of times just trying to take the positives from today and forget the negatives and move forward. My reality is I need to find away to swing a club at home somehow. I have no time to practice and when I was playing well last Summer I could actually practice on the range or even course, those days are gone.

I need to seriously figure this swing set up for my garage.

Don't be so hard on yourself, 47 is on the cusp and you know you'll have a good day. Stop trying to kill it!

55 on the front 9 at my home course in the rain today. 5 FIRs, which is encouraging. 4 three putts - not very encouraging. Short game was inconsistent. I need to spend a day chipping with these new irons and get a good feel for distance control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched up my chipping 2 weeks ago using 8i now, working a lot better than using wedges. Hit 2 pins from 20ish out last nite.

Only played 7 holes tonight and really felt good out there. Wish I could have finished but I know the score would have been much better than Tuesday. Just kept it simple out there, easier said than done haha

After shooting a couple 90 and 91 rounds I thought today would be the day. But no, I had a horrible round. Shot 49/50. Had a couple blow up holes. I guess considering I had 3 triple bogies and 6 doubles..99 wasn't all that horrible. But def not confidence inspiring.

After shooting a couple 90 and 91 rounds I thought today would be the day. But no, I had a horrible round. Shot 49/50. Had a couple blow up holes. I guess considering I had 3 triple bogies and 6 doubles..99 wasn't all that horrible. But def not confidence inspiring.
We all have those days, keep grinding.

I feel your pain this sounds exactly like what I did a couple weeks ago. Back to back weekends 91 the 98 the next time. Ugh very frustrating

I feel your pain this sounds exactly like what I did a couple weeks ago. Back to back weekends 91 the 98 the next time. Ugh very frustrating

Frustrating was the name of the day. Prime example: I had a great drive on a short par 4 dogleg right, to within 30 yards of the green. Chipped on and ended up 3 putting.

My last five rounds have gone 93, 93, 90, 100, 96. I think I've turned a corner where my bad rounds are now the same as my good rounds were a few months ago. Yesterday's 96 included 2 triples and 4 doubles, including 2 penalties for putting balls in the water. My short game has improved, iron striking is getting more consistent. Off the tee recently I am seeing less slices but more straight out to the left shots, which is giving me some trouble.

The course where I am at the moment is not particularly well maintained and on some holes it can be hard to see where the rough finishes and the fairway begins. I get back home Tuesday afternoon for 6 weeks off and 6 weeks of decent golf courses. I am really looking forward to playing our home course and seeing what I score.

Had a qwk 9 last nite. Really bad starting 5 holes, last 4 were birdie, par, bogie, par

We all have those days, keep grinding.

After yesterday's horrendous round I went to the range this morning and something just clicked. Part of what I worked on was my alignment. Almost everything was spot on. Wish I could head to the course, but I have to do house maintenance today....mow the lawn, fix the sprinkler, trim some bushes and clean the pool. Hoping to get a round in on Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited:
2nd round in a row below 90 and best round in the last couple seasons with an 83 and could have been sniffing breaking 80 if I made a few putts and was better with the greenside chipping. Bit of an anomoly though so not ready for the "Trying To Break 80 Club" thread. Still averaging 94 for the season.

Nice! Shouldn't be too long before that score is the norm!

Congrats on the PB!

Staying in the mid 90's the past couple rounds with the exact same results, front 9 I shoot a 50 and the back 9 I shoot a 45. The front's scores basically reflect still getting used to hitting my irons about 10 yards farther than I did last year and over shooting the greens. I've changed my grip this year and I have developed a natural draw that has also given me about 20 more yards with my driver. It's a welcome addition to my game, but right now it's actually hurting me with my irons since I can't gauge my distances just yet in this season.

Next USGA revision I should be back down in the 19 handicap range and hopefully I will get to my goal of being close to a 15 this year.

Yeah, it's like taking one step back to go 3-4 steps forward. My lessons & winter simulator practice have me hitting the ball a lot farther, so I'm giving away strokes going over greens & not sure what to hit on approaches - BUT I'm hitting the ball so much better & more consistently now. Scores will drop. Just keep focused on the good stuff!

This week's league nine - shot 44, including 3 chips from under/behind trees & 3 putts that stopped 1-2 inches short but dead center. So the last "18" (front & back nine) would give me a 90.

I'm starting to be able to visualize the shot I want to hit, and then actually pull it off - which is a big step for me. Example: the 7th hole is the toughest for me: dogleg left up a hill with trees on the left & water right. Even after good drives I usually miss the approach shot to the right because I have to hit the approach on a sidehill lie (ball below feet) & the green is over the hill & I tend to mis-aim.

This time my drive wasn't great, so I decided to hit 6 iron & make sure the ball ended up short but in the fairway (green has left & right bunkers & steep hill in back). I visualized the shot, picked the target line, & hit it to 30 yards. Did the same thing with the pitch shot: visualized a nice, soft high shot that hit the front & rolled out - put it to within 3 feet for a par.

I'm definitely reliving these weekly successes & replaying them in my mind during the week - I'm feeling a lot more confident each time I go out.

Predictably played terrible today after finally cracking 90 last time out. Went out in 49, in 52 for a smooth 101. Had 39 putts and my iron play was non existent. 10/14 FW and 3/18 GIR. Oh well. As long as I keep driving it well and set myself up for par and birdie opportunities and I will be fine.

Trying To Break 90 Club

Shot a new PB today went 45 on the front and 39 on the back. 84 baby!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back