Trying To Break 90 Club

Got out of work today and headed straight to the course. I've spent the past three months adjusting to some major swing changes, but the past few rounds have looked promising. I was feeling down after a triple bogey on the second hole. So I was hoping those were early hole jitters. Turns out the golf gods were smiling on me today because I didn't have a blow up the rest of the round. Four pars on the front 9 shooting a 41.

The back nine was where my swing finally clicked and the magic started to happen. Managed par on the first three holes. An errant approach led to bogey on thirteen. Now fourteen is my favorite hole. It's a tight, tree lined, 98 yard par 3. Today the pin was in the back left guarded by some thickly leaved branches. Pulled out my gap wedge and shot straight for the flag. Dropped the shot within 10 feet and followed up with a birdie putt.

Another par on fifteen and finished with three bogeys. All told, I finished the back with a 37 only three over for the side. I'm still having a hard time believing that happened but I'll take a 78 any day. With that said, the golf gods are fickle and I wouldn't be surprised to slip back to a mid 90s score next time out. But isn't that why we keep going out?

Was feeling good about having a chance today. Was +4 through 7 but my short game failed me big time after that. Spent a lot of time in the sand and really struggled getting out cleanly. Ended up 44/49 for a 93. It was very clear today that I need to devote more practice to my short game, bunkers, pitches and chip shots. I need to develop better and consistent touch around the greens. Putting was decent today at least but didn't make any birdies on the few chances I had today.

Hit 87 this week, for the first time! The course was fairly easy and I had played it before, which helped. That was Monday. Wednesday played a much tougher test and had a relapse 103. Decided it was my irons' fault and took to the 'Bay to order a set of covert forged. Now I'm sure to break 90 consistently, right?

On a more serious note, the three drives on Friday that I kept in the fairway were long long long. It's incredible the difference you feel holding a scoring iron or wedge for your approach. Have to lock in that driver swing.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

93 today ... felt I had it broken then the last two holes hit ... triple and a double ... I am close!

Well my 88 two weeks ago wasn't a fluke!

Played a course yesterdayfor the first time and shot 46/43 for an 89. Also, was using my new flatstick(Method Mod 003).

Front nine was pretty much average, probably should've been a shot or two less but the back could've been great! I was +3 going into 12 then pared 12,13,14,15... then started thinking ahead :banghead: doubled 16, tripled 17...BUT...18 was a short par 5 second shot was from 195(to center) with 172 to carry water, flushed a 4 iron to a back pin that left me with a 10ft eagle shot just on the fringe played too much break but had tap in for birdie!

For a guy that gets to play once every two/three weeks, my confidence is sky high!

Trying To Break 90 Club

I was on my way to the 80's yesterday, but two 7's did not help at all and ended up at 91. Gotta eliminate the blow up holes!

Came close today with a 92. Tee game was controllable today, second shots were good, flubbed 2 approach shots and averaged 2.1 putts per hole. Had nothing more than a double, nothing higher than a 6, no birdies, but not enough pars to break through that elusive 90. Still I felt really confident today and nothing to hang my head about or dwell on.

I was absolutely atrocious yesterday. It was a DNF with a slow group ahead and needing to pick up the kids, but it was probably just as well since I was staring at a triple digit score.

Inconsistency and three putts galore were the order of the day. Example, on the par 5 6th my third shot is a 60* wedge from 58 yds...knock it to about 10 feet, tap in par.

Two holes later is a 340 par 4, second shot I have the same wedge and a nearly identical shot from 62 yds and I wound up picking up and moving on.

Hit 87 this week, for the first time! The course was fairly easy and I had played it before, which helped. That was Monday. Wednesday played a much tougher test and had a relapse 103. Decided it was my irons' fault and took to the 'Bay to order a set of covert forged. Now I'm sure to break 90 consistently, right?

On a more serious note, the three drives on Friday that I kept in the fairway were long long long. It's incredible the difference you feel holding a scoring iron or wedge for your approach. Have to lock in that driver swing.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Nicely done!

96 on Saturday. It was unfortunate too, I drove the ball very well distance wise and my ball striking was acceptable. 6/18 GIR, 6/14 FW and 40(!) putts. They got the greens going fairly quick and I did not figure them out. I did have two birdies including a 40+ foot chip in so that made it an entertaining round. Way too many doubles and triples. Oh well. I'll be putting a bunch this week and hopefully get my distance control corrected.

Aaaaand we're back... after two rounds over 100 I shot a 46/47 - 93 yesterday. Tied my personal best on this course :act-up:

Capture_2.png

1 birdie, 4 pars, 6 bogeys, 5 doubles, and two blowups (a triple and a quad with a FOUR PUTT - ugh).

I still only hit 4 GIRs so I need to work on my approach accuracy. I'm comfortable with the new yardages I'm seeing with my irons but am still having trouble holding the green on short pitch shots.

Back to the range.

This weekend had some very promising rounds, Friday shot a 47/42 = 89. Then on Sunday shot a 46/45 = 91, if only I could putt a bit better that day (had a few 3 putts). Oh well, just gotta keep plugging away!

This weekend had some very promising rounds, Friday shot a 47/42 = 89. Then on Sunday shot a 46/45 = 91, if only I could putt a bit better that day (had a few 3 putts). Oh well, just gotta keep plugging away!

well done Joe! is that new full swing helping already? or did you go back to your old swing?

well done Joe! is that new full swing helping already? or did you go back to your old swing?
Haha I'm still in transition. I am still doing a half swing, but with wrist hinge and more shoulder turn. It helps with my consistency and ball striking a lot. It's pretty much a normal half swing for most people, I'll work my way up to the full once I nail this down.

Haha I'm still in transition. I am still doing a half swing, but with wrist hinge and more shoulder turn. It helps with my consistency and ball striking a lot. It's pretty much a normal half swing for most people, I'll work my way up to the full once I nail this down.

that's smart, one step at a time.

hit em straight!

After a soggy and slow round on Friday afternoon for 99, I bounced back with a season's best 84 yesterday! I had some back spasms on Thursday morning and after a half hour rain delay on the 3rd hole Friday just couldn't get loose again. I wasn't really tearing it up early y'day but kept making bogeys with a couple pars mixed in. Finally hit three solid shots and dropped a 15 footer in for birdie on the tough par 5 8th. Another bogey on #9 and ran (not walked) off the front with a 40. The back was little erratic and I mishit a couple irons but scrambled a couple times to avoid blowups. Finished 4-4-4 just missing a couple more birdie putts for the 44...

Interesting developments.

I was scoring well a month ago and had a month plus relapse until the back 9 on Saturday. I hadn't been under 100 since mid June.

On Saturday, I put up a 96 (52/44) at Heritage in Atlanta. That's a really tough course for me. The green are super undulating and one has to hit accurate approach shots or face tough 2-4 putts if on wrong tier. 5 pars, 6 bogies, 4 doubles, 2 triples, and a quad. I went trip on 10, double on 18 (water off tee), and still only +8 on back.

Looking back. I was trying to break 90 on every shot and allowing a bad hole/shot ruin me for multiple holes. My break-through was mainly thinking 1 shot at a time, teeing off with 4i, and playing safe shots. I greatly managed misses and didn't let a bad shot affect me twice.

I can't wait to play again. Not thinking about 90 but thinking 1 shot a time and hopefully I hit less than 90 in a round.

I was trying to break 90 on every shot and allowing a bad hole/shot ruin me for multiple holes. My break-through was mainly thinking 1 shot at a time, teeing off with 4i, and playing safe shots. I greatly managed misses and didn't let a bad shot affect me twice.

I can't wait to play again. Not thinking about 90 but thinking 1 shot a time and hopefully I hit less than 90 in a round.

This has been a thing for me lately too... just play the shot I'm on; that's all - no more, no less. It starts in the car on the way to the course. I start thinking "OK, let's break 90 today" and I'm already ahead of myself. I've been trying to counter that thought with "OK, let's hit a good tee shot on #1" and going from there.

I don't even total up any of my scores til the very end now. This helps me concentrate on just playing my game rather than trying to force myself to make X number on X hole.

I don't even total up any of my scores til the very end now. This helps me concentrate on just playing my game rather than trying to force myself to make X number on X hole.

Me either. The mantra at this point is "Play the next shot, accept the result, move on."

This has been a thing for me lately too... just play the shot I'm on; that's all - no more, no less. It starts in the car on the way to the course. I start thinking "OK, let's break 90 today" and I'm already ahead of myself. I've been trying to counter that thought with "OK, let's hit a good tee shot on #1" and going from there.
Exactly. Too much pressure when thinking about scores. I had 4 pars and I never though about my score. I was so disappointed with my front 9, I was just hoping to stay below 110. I was surprised to know I broke 100

I try this but seem to catch a glance. I need to use the card vs Golfshot

On this last round I turned off the score / yardage app and just used the paper scorecard. I know the course well enough that I don't need the GPS distance anyway. It's easier for me to ignore my overall score if I use the "analog" method.

Another 92 this morning and a tale of two 9's again. Front 9 I was averaging (according to game golf) 233 yards off the tee. First hole was 191 with the ninth at 262, all the rest in the 230's - 240's, 5 fairways and 5 GIR's, unfortunately the putter was off and I had two 3 putts both on greens I hit. Back 9 (this is happening a lot) I couldn't get off the tee averaging 198 yards. Only hit two fairways and no greens but on a positive no 3 putts.

I really do not know what goes on when I hit the 10th tee. I don't feel like I am swinging or setting up any different but I can go from fairways or just off to a massive slice or push straight left into trouble. I went out in 43 and back in 49. A positive from my last few rounds is the confidence I have in my woods off the deck now. I just need to work out what happens on the 10th.

47/56 - 103 yesterday. Started off great with 4 pars in a row. Had a blowup hole on 7 (long dogleg par 4; most difficult hole on the course): popped up my tee shot into jail on the left, pitched out, laid up, missed the green then wasted a few chip shots. Thankfully I was able to bounce back with par on the next hole.

Back 9 was a mess. I was tired and sluggish by 15. Need to start bringing some healthy snacks out on the course with me to keep the energy up. That beer at the turn probably didn't help either.

Back