UK Summer Cup 2014 - Details

Yes, don't worry. The road seems pretty long for me at the moment, as a swing rebuild this winter is leaving me happy with anything in the 90s. :at-wits-end:

Shot a cheeky little 84 yesterday boys (3 under) - Have a new friend in my Gentleman's Persuader - a Ping 7 wood. You modern chaps have you 3 irons and hybrid thingies... but no Gentleman should be without his persuader...

I have no idea why I christened it that - but I used it off a Winter tee mat - and blow me if it didn't fly 200 yards into the wind as straight as an arrow! Still managed to bunker the approach - but that little puppy is staying in the bag!

So that will be a handicap cut for you as well then ya bandit :D

Never tried a 7W or a hybrid myself, always had the 3i/4i in the bag and unless I start having problems, I couldn't see that changing to be honest, but if it works for you, then go with it

Will be good to see you hitting it in July alongside my new driver :alien:

Nicely done!

Seems like the low 80's is our thing in the strawboaterer team! What loft are that 7 wood rocking?

The Persuader is a cheeky 21 degrees....

So that will be a handicap cut for you as well then ya bandit :D

Never tried a 7W or a hybrid myself, always had the 3i/4i in the bag and unless I start having problems, I couldn't see that changing to be honest, but if it works for you, then go with it

Will be good to see you hitting it in July alongside my new driver :alien:

As ever - I live in hope of a cut! - I am playing a Matchplay final tomorrow at the club (The Holmes Jug - for hcp 17 and over) - and then a meet with some guys from another forum (GM) at St Andrews (New Course) on Sunday. So lots of fun golf for me!

Glenn. It is March. We are playing in July. What makes you think any of my clubs will still be in the bag??

As for your driver - my new one has added some yards - so I'm hoping to get close to your 3 wood....

How are you getting on with the CC Big Dog?

My Mizuno F-50 7w is 21 degree's, I was nearly on our par 5 8th hole in 2 today with it, 3w off the tee and 7w approach, little 5m bump & run and a single putt for birdie and a 4 pointer :banana:

Yes, don't worry. The road seems pretty long for me at the moment, as a swing rebuild this winter is leaving me happy with anything in the 90s. :at-wits-end:

Thats perfect skip. A nice slow build. I think a couple of point ones while you work on the swing - then a gentle upswing as we end June..resulting in 76 on Day one.

If plan A doesn't come off - we can drink aggressively at them...

(Mind you - watch out for Baileys and Ice. Ice holds a steady pace, Baileys takes a nap between drinks and then comes out all ferocity and feather dusters....)

My Mizuno F-50 7w is 21 degree's, I was nearly on our par 5 8th hole in 2 today with it, 3w off the tee and 7w approach, little 5m bump & run and a single putt for birdie and a 4 pointer :banana:

Classy work!

As ever - I live in hope of a cut! - I am playing a Matchplay final tomorrow at the club (The Holmes Jug - for hcp 17 and over) - and then a meet with some guys from another forum (GM) at St Andrews (New Course) on Sunday. So lots of fun golf for me!

Glenn. It is March. We are playing in July. What makes you think any of my clubs will still be in the bag??

As for your driver - my new one has added some yards - so I'm hoping to get close to your 3 wood....

How are you getting on with the CC Big Dog?

Put it this way, I was hitting approach shots on Sunday from a lot closer distances than I have been used to which made me think about club selection more than normal

I used it on all but one of the par 4/5 holes (and that was because I haven't mastered the art of a draw with it and the distance to the dogleg is the perfect shot for my 5W) and other than a couple of pulls I hit most of the fairways so I would say I am getting along fine with it at the moment :D

Put it this way, I was hitting approach shots on Sunday from a lot closer distances than I have been used to which made me think about club selection more than normal

I used it on all but one of the par 4/5 holes (and that was because I haven't mastered the art of a draw with it and the distance to the dogleg is the perfect shot for my 5W) and other than a couple of pulls I hit most of the fairways so I would say I am getting along fine with it at the moment :D

Like that gentle understated confidence my man...very good...

Still gonna kick your butt..:wink:

Like that gentle understated confidence my man...very good...

Still gonna kick your butt..:wink:

Yeah, yeah.....bring it on - if we can manage to get a round at the beginning of June as per my thread, I will bring my rubbish game to give you some confidence :D

And besides, even if the driver does let me down, I still have the 3W and 5W as backups

Yeah, yeah.....bring it on - if we can manage to get a round at the beginning of June as per my thread, I will bring my rubbish game to give you some confidence :D

And besides, even if the driver does let me down, I still have the 3W and 5W as backups

Ok. Driver on 1. 3 wood on 2. 5 wood on 3...then what? Tin cup style by the end - just a 7 iron?

Top 4 in the Cup are Mizuno Blue, Strawboater, Almdudler and me. Just the way it is. As for the Essex trip - need to check that my jabs are up to date:beat-up:

Ok. Driver on 1. 3 wood on 2. 5 wood on 3...then what? Tin cup style by the end - just a 7 iron?

Top 4 in the Cup are Mizuno Blue, Strawboater, Almdudler and me. Just the way it is. As for the Essex trip - need to check that my jabs are up to date:beat-up:

Driver might let me down being the newest member of the bag and shy in the company of lots of people, but I ain't got any worries about the rest

That might be the Top 4 for the first day, but only in the context of the yellow ball competition as I suppose we will all have to let you win something.....and I will try not to beat you for the nearest the pin again :alien:

As for day 2, I have decided I am going to do the same as I did at the Belfry and drop a score of 40 on you all again.....and then wake up and go for breakfast :D

Driver might let me down being the newest member of the bag and shy in the company of lots of people, but I ain't got any worries about the rest

That might be the Top 4 for the first day, but only in the context of the yellow ball competition as I suppose we will all have to let you win something.....and I will try not to beat you for the nearest the pin again :alien:

As for day 2, I have decided I am going to do the same as I did at the Belfry and drop a score of 40 on you all again.....and then wake up and go for breakfast :D

My driver has been the best club by far these last weeks.. ( 2 consecutive green hits on the same par 4, 280 yards to the front of the green. The last was only 2,5 meters from the cup..)
But then there's the rest of the bag that's not yet up to speed with my orders.. But they'll come around! :)

Perhaps we can lay a trail of breakfast stuff for you leading to the first tee.. So you wake up during the round!? :alien:

Glenn, Glenn, Glenn - Don't let me into your head! Just winding you up

I know that your 3 wood will still sail past my driver - its nice to watch! As for nearest the pin - I'm always astonished with nearest the green!

Besides....its your short game I would be worried about if I were you...:blob:

My driver has been the best club by far these last weeks.. ( 2 consecutive green hits on the same par 4, 280 yards to the front of the green. The last was only 2,5 meters from the cup..)
But then there's the rest of the bag that's not yet up to speed with my orders.. But they'll come around! :)

Perhaps we can lay a trail of breakfast stuff for you leading to the first tee.. So you wake up during the round!? :alien:

Linus! How many bounces on the frozen fairway?

Linus! How many bounces on the frozen fairway?

Who needs fairways? ;)
There were trees blocking so had to go over.. :)

8urabada.jpg

Sent from my Ericsson Hotline 900

Last edited:
Who needs fairways? ;)
There were trees blocking so had to go over.. :)

8urabada.jpg

Sent from my Ericsson Hotline 900

And you still walked off with a 5?

tut tut...

Only kidding Linus:alien:

I will point out though - that on these type of events, and I have been on a good few now, I do not think that I have ever seen a a drive of over 275 needed to win. In fact - on the majority of them 250 would win by 10 yards.

The long hitters would almost always be better off hitting a fairway wood...

Still - irrelevant for me - even my best drive is not going to win longest drive....:bulgy-eyes: (I am having therapy, it is helping)

And you still walked off with a 5?

tut tut...

Only kidding Linus:alien:

I will point out though - that on these type of events, and I have been on a good few now, I do not think that I have ever seen a a drive of over 275 needed to win. In fact - on the majority of them 250 would win by 10 yards.

The long hitters would almost always be better off hitting a fairway wood...

Still - irrelevant for me - even my best drive is not going to win longest drive....:bulgy-eyes: (I am having therapy, it is helping)

Haha.. When it's competition I'll bring out the old power-hook.. 220 yards to the right but never passes the ladies tee.. That's my go-to shot! :banghead:
Quite proud of it since i never even have to look for the ball! Someone will come and give it to me with a hefty bill attached to it! :bulgy-eyes:

Glenn, Glenn, Glenn - Don't let me into your head! Just winding you up

I know that your 3 wood will still sail past my driver - its nice to watch! As for nearest the pin - I'm always astonished with nearest the green!

Besides....its your short game I would be worried about if I were you...:blob:

Stu, I am taking it all with the pinch of salt it is intended with - you know fine well I am there to have fun and if I play well it is a bonus

Having said that, my short game and putting is being worked on :D

Stu, I am taking it all with the pinch of salt it is intended with - you know fine well I am there to have fun and if I play well it is a bonus

Having said that, my short game and putting is being worked on :D

Pinch of salt? No - I'm trying to get into your head:bomb:.

I think there are a lot of nervous players out there - nobody willing to come out in the open and predict victory....

Well if nobody wants to win, then I suppose I could take the trophy home with me :D

On the subject of winning, I believe we are team ONE! Clue is in the name :)

On the subject of winning, I believe we are team ONE! Clue is in the name :)

That's the only time you will be number one :D

Be prepared to be hammered by the quiet assassins in my team

PS - Did you see my PM about June?

That's the only time you will be number one :D

Be prepared to be hammered by the quiet assassins in my team

PS - Did you see my PM about June?

Yes i did mate, but I am afraid I will be sunning it up on holiday!

Yes i did mate, but I am afraid I will be sunning it up on holiday!

No worries, just thought I would send out the offer seeing as I would be in the general vicinity and had permission to get a round in

Back