Under Appreciated Bands/Artists?

The Shadows - Apache (1960) - YouTube

This is where it all started. Dave Gilmour is amongst the wide range of great guitar heroes who look up to Hank Marvin. Ad Knopfler and Townsend to the list as well. Nobody believed a Brit could play like this . The Strat was a 1959 which was the first imported to UK .

The Shadows - Instrumental Show - YouTube

50+ years later and they can still play.

I will give them a listen because my nominee for this thread is Jeff Lynne, founder of ELO.

I say he’s underrated only because he is the least recognizable member of The Traveling Wilburys. Yet he produced music for three of the four other great artists in the group. (He never produced music for Bob Dylan.)
We spend most of our extra money on concerts. I’ve always broken them down into best show, best sounding, best experience et.
UNTIL I was lucky enough to see Jeff Lynne’s ELO at Radio City Music Hall. The best show hands down I’ve ever seen. IN every way. Full disclaimer I’m a huge ELO fan to begin with, but finally, finally seeing them live was everything.
If you like them you will love jellyfish. They made two full albums, both masterpieces.

Shooting Star
Toad The Wet Sprocket
I'm glad to see someone had mentioned Shooting Star. They weren't widely known outside of the Kansas City area. They produced some great music, but due to bad management, never got the recognition they deserved.

This is one of their best songs, imo. The title track from their 2nd album.

The Shadows - Apache (1960) - YouTube

This is where it all started. Dave Gilmour is amongst the wide range of great guitar heroes who look up to Hank Marvin. Ad Knopfler and Townsend to the list as well. Nobody believed a Brit could play like this . The Strat was a 1959 which was the first imported to UK .

The Shadows - Instrumental Show - YouTube

50+ years later and they can still play.

They have sort of a "Ventures" feel to them, but there's no doubt the dude can play. Also puts me in mind of Les Paul!

We spend most of our extra money on concerts. I’ve always broken them down into best show, best sounding, best experience et.
UNTIL I was lucky enough to see Jeff Lynne’s ELO at Radio City Music Hall. The best show hands down I’ve ever seen. IN every way. Full disclaimer I’m a huge ELO fan to begin with, but finally, finally seeing them live was everything.
If you like them you will love jellyfish. They made two full albums, both masterpieces.

Oh my goodness. I went to see the ELO "Flying Saucer Tour" at Cleveland municipal stadium back in the day. Absolutely incredible! Both for the visuals and the sound! Probably the best show I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot.

Lush - Slowdive - Ride

Quite a few got snowed under by Britpop, Shoegaze especially. Slowdive is still active and got a new album coming up. They are killing it live.

Last edited:
Elvis Costello. Always one of my favorites and never hugely popular in the US at least.

I saw Elvis Costello two weeks ago in Providence he is touring the US right now. He still sounded good for 67 years old.

Oh my goodness. I went to see the ELO "Flying Saucer Tour" at Cleveland municipal stadium back in the day. Absolutely incredible! Both for the visuals and the sound! Probably the best show I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot.

IIRC, at the time, the staging for the 1977-78 "Out of the Blue" tours was the most expensive ever created.

Well, as i read in the paper today, this is Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser's 74th birthday today! So, I figure I have to post something like this,

Was, Not Was never got the recognition they deserved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was, Not Was never got the recognition they deserved.
"Walk the Dinosaur" was their only big hit - in fact, it's the only song I ever remember even hearing from them. It was a huge club hit in the late '80s. They were definitely very eclectic (and eccentric).

"Walk the Dinosaur" was their only big hit - in fact, it's the only song I ever remember even hearing from them. It was a huge club hit in the late '80s. They were definitely very eclectic (and eccentric).

I guess you’re right, but I had 2 or 3 of their albums and I thought they were all pretty good. “Tell Me That I’m Dreaming” was a club cut but it probably didn’t get much radio play outside of NYC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone into The Revivalists? Spotify just recently put me onto the them and I'm digging it.

Just listened to an oldie but underrated band from the way back. The Beach Boys. Their music is so freaking cool and the influence in rock music they had with the way they layered sounds is some of the biggest stuff that has made later musicians music so cool.
Better than the Beatles.

The last 2 months on SXM have been worth the price of admission.

Midnight Oil, Jackson Browne and the Bodeans.

The greatest guitar player you never heard of, Roy Buchanan.

Everyone should know Luther Allison and Otis Rush!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stone Temple Pilots, always felt overshadowed by the other grunge mega bands. And on the metal side Megadeth.

What I love most about STP was the huge variation in musical genre. Look no further than Silvergun Superman and Hickory Dichotomy as an example.

Just awesome stuff!!

The greatest guitar player you never heard of, Roy Buchanan.

I never figured out how Roy stayed so low key. Another great guitar player who has spent basically his entire career under the radar, Redd Volkaert.

The Wrecking Crew.

Boz Scaggs.

Leon Russel

Traffic, which in my opinion is one of the greatest bands ever......

Mountain - Climbing! is a masterpiece that should be counted among the great albums of the 70's and one of the best hard rock albums ever. Leslie West was a legend.
Little Feat - Perhaps the quintessential underappreciated band. Didn't sell well at the time, but Jimmy Page famously called them his favorite American band at one point. Their work with the late Lowell George in the 70's is landmark stuff.
Alter Bridge - They have a loyal following but in the mainstream hard rock world (on radio) you almost never hear them.
Marcus King - I know he's well regarded in blues circles, but nobody I talk to has ever heard of him.
Them for an Imaginary Western - great song!!! Sorry for the late reply 🤣

Johnny Winter, one of the best Blues / Blues Rock guitarists of all time. Late 60s into the early 70s he was recognized as one of the best around, but in the mid-70s he moved out of the Rock scene and dedicated himself more to the Blues, which took him out of the mainstream.
My first concert - Johnny Winter opened for George Thorogood - 1986 I believe.

IIRC, at the time, the staging for the 1977-78 "Out of the Blue" tours was the most expensive ever created.

I can believe that. I believe that I read that it took 6 semis to haul it from venue to venue. When they set up, the first thing that happened was a large curtain on a semi circular rail was drawn across the stage so the audience couldn't see what was being set up! When it seemed they getting close to starting the show, a gust of wind came through the stadium and pushed that curtain back a little. What was revealed was the gleaming, white, rounded foredge of what turned out to be a flying saucer!

The lights went down, the band began the intro into a song whose title I can't think of right now. The curtain pulled back to reveal the saucer, but where was the band? Then, the top half of the saucer began to rise and green light poured out of the interior! It continued to rise and all the lighting for the show, except for the spotlight, were contained within the upper half of the saucer. Plus, they had 2 or 3 huge closed circuit TV monitors for closeups of soloists. And the sound board looked to be the size of a GMC Denali!

And the sound was incredible! It had to be loud enough for a stadium sized venue, but it was also sharp, precise, defined, and balanced. And this was back in the day when a big compliment for the sound of a rock concert would be something like, "It sounded just like their record!" or "You could really understand the vocals!"

Back