University of Miami basketball player to transfer if NIL demands not met

Why not apply whatever you want for them to ourselves and see how we’d like it? Next time you want to change jobs, you have to intern there for free for a year first. Sounds pretty sh***y to me.
Yeah, so. My current contract has a 12 month non compete. Sooooooooooo...... that's the real world.

Yeah, so. My current contract has a 12 month non compete. Sooooooooooo...... that's the real world.
Guess I’m used to California where non-competes are completely unenforceable despite companies insisting they’re in the contract lol

I think unlimited free transfers would be terrible but the one time is good. With the extra year of eligibility from COVID there’s just an excess of college athletes right now and will surely mellow out as numbers normalize again.

Guess I’m used to California where non-competes are completely unenforceable despite companies insisting they’re in the contract lol

I think unlimited free transfers would be terrible but the one time is good. With the extra year of eligibility from COVID there’s just an excess of college athletes right now and will surely mellow out as numbers normalize again.
I agree with this 100%. The only issue I have with the transferring/NIL is with number of kids in the portal and that a lot of them are going to get left out in the cold without a spot or scholarship. I think that takes care of itself in a few years when we have a regular number of eligible athletes.

Why not apply whatever you want for them to ourselves and see how we’d like it? Next time you want to change jobs, you have to intern there for free for a year first. Sounds pretty sh***y to me.
It isn’t a free internship. The player is getting free school, living expenses, their spending stipend for a year and the NIL money. The effect of reinstating the rule to sit out would be to change the ROI on NIL payments and eliminate the free agency nature of portal. I think it’s the near perfect solotion because it’s a free market approach that doesn’t require a stitch of oversight or investigation about who paid or how much. That stuff is inherently impossible to enforce. if someone wanted to pay 6 figures for a player who can’t play for 12 months…more power to them.

It isn’t a free internship. The player is getting free school, living expenses, their spending stipend for a year and the NIL money. The effect of reinstating the rule to sit out would be to change the ROI on NIL payments and eliminate the free agency nature of portal. I think it’s the near perfect solotion because it’s a free market approach that doesn’t require a stitch of oversight or investigation about who paid or how much. That stuff is inherently impossible to enforce. if someone wanted to pay 6 figures for a player who can’t play for 12 months…more power to them.
What's wrong with the free agency nature of the portal?

Wait until non-competes and multi year service requirements start being written into NIL deals.

I mostly agree with you but there are non-competes sometimes that would prevent you leaving and going to a direct competitor. I am mostly for free movement but would be ok with some restrictions if the player is on more than a 50% scholarship. Maybe the ability to restrict transfer within the conference.

I think college sports are broken in their current state. The strong get stronger and weak get weaker.

When has any aspect of college had anything to do with real world?
Well, coaches have always been able to jump to better offers. Seems fair to me that the guys breaking their bodies should be able to do the same.

Well, coaches have always been able to jump to better offers. Seems fair to me that the guys breaking their bodies should be able to do the same.
Nobody is forced to attend a school or ever have been. Leaving hasn’t meant never play sports again.

Last I checked, this was still about higher education, right? If it’s not, remove sports from the equation Completely. If it is, comparing it “real world” has no basis since nothing about a college experience is real world

Nobody is forced to attend a school or ever have been. Leaving hasn’t meant never play sports again.

Last I checked, this was still about higher education, right? If it’s not, remove sports from the equation Completely. If it is, comparing it “real world” has no basis since nothing about a college experience is real world
1651865620762.gif

I understand the principle of the argument you’re making, but do you really want that? Removing college sports seems like it would be worse for everyone…the schools, the athletes, and the fans.

I understand the principle of the argument you’re making, but do you really want that? Removing college sports seems like it would be worse for everyone…the schools, the athletes, and the fans.
How does separating it from a university make it worse. Nothing would change other than more opportunity since it wouldn’t be tied to an over bloated institution around education where government is involved.

I still don’t understand the argument that a “student” is stuck but a coach can leave. When has a student ever been forced to stay or been stuck?

The NIL I think is something that can work in college sports with time and regulation. The transfer portal I do not however. The problem with the transfer portal is it ruins the product of college sports and completely devalues the mid major experience even further. No one enjoys having zero continuity on 80% of the teams. This is something that favors the top teams in revenue and quality of player.

The end game is college athletic product gets slowly worse to the point where it has diminished interest ( see nba and nfl). Top teams break off and form their own league in at least football to start. The massive revenue share that smaller universities receive from the overall college athletic landscape now becomes a much smaller pot which means they won’t be able to sustain facilities or anything else to attract players. That leaves the overwhelming majority of schools in limbo with a more similar comparison to D2 sports as opposed to a professional league. Things like March Madness will be forever changed. Very sad times coming for college sports.

How does separating it from a university make it worse. Nothing would change other than more opportunity since it wouldn’t be tied to an over bloated institution around education where government is involved.

I still don’t understand the argument that a “student” is stuck but a coach can leave. When has a student ever been forced to stay or been stuck?
Would you propose removing post-high school programs for just about every sport outside football, baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer? I’m not seeing how most swimming, volleyball, wrestling, etc. programs survive this split.

Well for me personally, I root for the school and brand that I’ve connected with my entire life. If the Wisconsin Badgers turned into the Madison Cheese Curds of the NFL Development League or something, I would stop caring. So that’s how it’d be worse for me. I imagine many others would feel the same, so a huge amount of money that goes to the schools, coaches, and athletes would disappear.

Well for me personally, I root for the school and brand that I’ve connected with my entire life. If the Wisconsin Badgers turned into the Madison Cheese Curds of the NFL Development League or something, I would stop caring. So that’s how it’d be worse for me. I imagine many others would feel the same, so a huge amount of money that goes to the schools, coaches, and athletes would disappear.

if the badgers Didn’t exist like just about every other resident they would root for the local team. The money doesn’t change, in fact it grows just like every other private entity.

There are a myriad of reasons for and against but either it’s tied to higher education or it’s not. And right now pretending it is for boosters when it’s nothing but a minor league and pray makes no sense at all because you must include the government. I’m not sure the last time you went to the dmv or social security but not a lot of what they handle works or has in the last 40 years.

by separating and becoming private one can dictate ones own rules.

if the badgers Didn’t exist like just about every other resident they would root for the local team. The money doesn’t change, in fact it grows just like every other private entity.

There are a myriad of reasons for and against but either it’s tied to higher education or it’s not. And right now pretending it is for boosters when it’s nothing but a minor league and pray makes no sense at all because you must include the government. I’m not sure the last time you went to the dmv or social security but not a lot of what they handle works or has in the last 40 years.

by separating and becoming private one can dictate ones own rules.
I would strongly disagree that the money wouldn’t change. At least for football and basketball, it wouldn’t be close. Take a look at the interest and revenue generated by the NBA’s G-League and compare it to college basketball, or the USFL’s TV deal and compare it to college football. Both of those leagues have more talented players on average than the NCAA counterparts, but for the most part nobody cares.

I would strongly disagree that the money wouldn’t change. At least for football and basketball, it wouldn’t be close. Take a look at the interest and revenue generated by the NBA’s G-League and compare it to college basketball, or the USFL’s TV deal and compare it to college football. Both of those leagues have more talented players on average than the NCAA counterparts, but for the most part nobody cares.
You are comparing something where the choice exists. College athletics where dollars are concerned are nothing more than AAU multiplied by X. Take that same model and add geography into place and see how much money comes in.

But to see a university take in millions upon millions of tax dollars all while making hundreds of millions and spending the same to support a sports program is by definition broken.

Paying athletes for no purpose other than playing a sport removes any semblance of higher education. The same that has billions in debt that more tax dollars are needed for. Take the scholarships away if people are getting paid, use it to pay debt or for actual higher education achievements and stop stealing from regular folks for a game that isn’t tied to education.

In any business if one part is solvent and the other isn’t, you either use one to prop the other or you close it. This is no different without govt involvement.

You are comparing something where the choice exists. College athletics where dollars are concerned are nothing more than AAU multiplied by X. Take that same model and add geography into place and see how much money comes in.
I’m not sure I understand your first sentence. Do you mean choice for the viewer or athlete?

I’m not sure I understand your first sentence. Do you mean choice for the viewer or athlete?
The choice is where the money is spent. Currently you are saying look at fill in the blank developmental league and compare that to the dollars A university brings in. That’s because the choice exists. If it didn’t the money in sports doesn’t go away, it still supports local. And does so without the horrible bloat and debt and let’s the solvent side continue.

Back