I think that would be a nightmare for me, I am improving but still a high handicapper, I know my friends will give me a hard time on the hole in one with no witness. I can hear them now,
Yea and I had breakfast with Bigfoot this morning or aliens abducted me the other day.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

If I hit a hole in one during my solo rounds, I'm bragging about it. Something tells me I have nothing to worry about though.

I'd claim it. It happened. It's still a hole in 1. Because if it isn't. It's like saying your PB round of 74 doesn't count just because it was solo. Oh wait. Next time hire a caddie

I’d count it but likely not tell anyone except family and a handful of close golf buddies. Luckily both of my aces had witnesses as did my solo albatross.

I'd count it and not care if anybody else believed it or not. I've only had one, and fortunately I was playing with two friends when it happened. Also fortunately, the bar wasn't crowded afterwards. :LOL:

I'm with the OP. I finally got my first HIO last year, after 55+ years of playing. It was witnessed, but I didn't get overly excited, jump up and down, etc... I would have reacted the same if it was witnessed or not. I think the law of averages finally caught up with me.

I have two HIOs. My first one was back in college and unwitnessed. A 4 iron from 210, landed right of the hole, hopped toward the hole and then I couldn’t see it go in. Get up to the hole and it was sitting in its happy place.

My second one…was the most pure 8 iron I’ve hit in my life.

View attachment IMG_1244.MP4

I would claim it, why lie about it? If it happened it happened and if it didn't it didn't. You have nothing to gain by lying, so why would do it. That's just how I feel. Also, I would be very proud of myself so I would absolutely tell people about it.

Never had one and as I play solo alot the whole course would know as they might be alarmed at the crazy screaming guy jumping up and down!

If you make a hole in one playing alone it may not be official, but you know you made it and therefor it counts in my estimation. My wife and I play together almost on every round we play and we have made 5 holes in one between us and only two were witnessed by some one else. Yet we still have 5 to our credit.

If you use any Callaway equipment, they will send you a plaque to commemorate it. I got one for mine!!

I did not have one today. But I would have celebrated if i did!

I have only one, and 3 others were in the group. But, anytime I tell the story, not once has anyone asked if I was alone or in a group. It doesn’t matter to me, alone or in a group, exact same.

If you make a hole in one playing alone it may not be official, but you know you made it and therefor it counts in my estimation.
What happens if it is “official “ vs un-official?

My wife and I have five between us and our club gave us hole in one trophies. It needed to be witnessed by a member and since we were both members it was "official". When I notified the company that I used for my hole in one they asked for verification by our head pro. This was over 20 years ago so not sure they do that today. I know the players who frequent these forums feel if its is not witnessed it is not official.

Last edited:
I would pull my phone out and film the entire walk to the hole. My friends know that A: I wouldn't set it up and B: I'd be too lazy to walk to the hole put a ball in there and then walk back to the tee box only to walk back again to the hole 🤣

I have had 2 witnessed and 2 with no one around other than on one of the unwitnessed there was a maintenance worker just off the green about 20 yards but wasn’t paying attention. The 2 unwitnessed we’re about 3 years apart on the same hole. I claim all 4.

I had one un-witnessed about 3 or 4 years ago. I have 5 witnessed HIO’s so I call the one when I was playing as a single, unofficial. I don’t need the grief of getting razzed about it. I didn’t even keep the ball whereas all 5 others are marked and on the mantle in my quasi-man cave.

Last edited:
All depends if I was playing hookey at the time!!

Back