USGA Approves Amateur Endorsements

I’m a fan of this, glad to see changes being made.

and honestly something that’s happened behind the scenes and secretly for years
Not sure how much of a secret it has been. While going on for years-it is above board and does not break any amateur status. The name and likeness and endorsing though has not been permissible.

I'm all for compensation for using one's likeness but I don't know where to draw the line. If an amateur is good enough to make a living playing golf, they need to go pro. For the younger players getting to and from tournaments, paying for meals, winning a closest to the pin, and help with gear/clothing, I'm all for it. I know how expensive it is for a kid to play a sport at a very high level, and putting those costs on the parents is unrealistic at times. My only question is, what is the monetary cap?

It has absolutely been happening, including “donations” to parents instead of the athletes. I’ve seen it, and had many parents tell stories of it.
I meant it wasn't secret or going on behind closed doors as you stated. It goes on in every sport at every school golf is no different. I like you have seen things, heard stories, etc.

Bout time. There have been some train wreck stories in the past of amateur's not being able to accept this or that, especially in charity tournaments and the like. I'm glad that's been rectified.

Great news. Now I won't feel so bad getting my Wife to endorse my playing fees.

Seriously though, I have no problem with the usga's decision. I don't see it hurting anything.

In fact, get the right endorsed amateurs, those people might become more popular than most tour pros. Simply because they are one of us amateurs, and/or wanna be players.

Yeah, this just seems to fall in with the NCAA stuff. I'm sure Tiger's going, dang...could've made a killing!

The first of many many many shoes to fall for amateur athletes across the board. I have zero problem with it. If youre a college golfer and a ranked amateur your gettting a ton of equipment and gear for free anyways. I personally know 3 previous Div 1 golfers. They basically got anything they wanted.

I think it makes sense, I hope it leads to guys sticking around and playing college golf instead of skipping it for the pros

If any manufacturers are watching, I'm available for sponsorship.

I wonder if you see more amateur tournaments now that they can actually offer prize money and prizes that people may be willing to pay to get into.

Mixed emotions...will the NCAA allow it though?

It's about time.

The rules were so murky before and it was a challenge to make sure that no rules were being broken. This clarifies a lot of things and will likely bring to light some deals that had been going on beforehand.

I remember dealing with this years ago when I was still trying to maintain my NCAA eligibility and the list of restrictions were absurd. Different sport, I acknowledge, but the limitations were still astronomical.

If someone wins a set of irons from their local because they played in a charity event, that's simply a perk which was available to anyone on that day.

I think it's reasonable when using a likeness as the endorsement. The line between pro and amateur has moved so far from when I was in school back in 60s and early 70s. Especially the olympics - and golf allows pros to get back their amateur status so easily. I do think they should set a limit on earnings, and maybe require entry fees/travel etc. be paid directly. It's certainly challenging enough when you also have to compete against parents that can afford golf academies, full time sport schools, etc.

I'm all for compensation for using one's likeness but I don't know where to draw the line. If an amateur is good enough to make a living playing golf, they need to go pro. For the younger players getting to and from tournaments, paying for meals, winning a closest to the pin, and help with gear/clothing, I'm all for it. I know how expensive it is for a kid to play a sport at a very high level, and putting those costs on the parents is unrealistic at times. My only question is, what is the monetary cap?
The cap is $750. Article with more details here. The way they lay it out sounds pretty simple - there are only three things an amateur can do to violate the new rules: 1) Accept a cash prize over the $750 limit; 2) Accept payment for instruction, and 3) Accept employment as a club professional.

I'm 100% in favor, and if this is an initial indication of where Mike Whan is going to take things, I think it means many good things to come. Finally somebody with a little sense running that organization.

You mean they’re going to pay me to golf now?

Yes!

But who’s they and why the hell would they wanna?

I like it. I think it will only affect top ams and a handful of juniors at most. Everyone is worried it may hurt the college game, but you may see more top notch players stay in the college ranks longer now, because they are not worried about missing out on a payday. I have a few former players playing playing division 1, and I think at the schools and level they play (mid level div 1) it will have little or no effect on them in terms of endorsements (unless a coach can negotiate something on behalf of the entire team (maybe get the kids car leases while in college etc.). The only benefit I can see that may be wide spread is that some of these mid level players can now accept free memberships and such at a club. I know I have one former player who is very good, but comes from relatively modest means, and I know a local pro and membership have embraced him and supported his golf, so I can see them formalizing his membership.

The cap is $750. Article with more details here. The way they lay it out sounds pretty simple - there are only three things an amateur can do to violate the new rules: 1) Accept a cash prize over the $750 limit; 2) Accept payment for instruction, and 3) Accept employment as a club professional.

I'm 100% in favor, and if this is an initial indication of where Mike Whan is going to take things, I think it means many good things to come. Finally somebody with a little sense running that organization.
Thanks for the info. With that cap, I'm all for it.

Long since due. Colleges profit mightily off the backs of student athletes, and some of those athletes don't make it to the pros, or worse, end up in a bad way of some sort after their college days are over.

Like all sports there will be the haves and have not. The guys already getting free equipment can now get pocket money to travel more or get to more tournaments.
This may highlight more guys moving up the ranks.
At least it's out in the open now.
I would think it would be like my buddy with a TM contract. 80% of his bag must be TM and he has a $1k allotment each year. All the balls he can use. Some contingency money..
I'm not sure I see any negatives.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Back