Vibram Five Finger Shoes - Review Thread

Looks like you got your smartphone back!

I saw that article a few weeks ago. This lawsuit wouldn't deter me from buying or trying out these shoes. Whether or not there are health benefits to them is another story. I do know that it would take some time for your feet to get used to wearing them.

Yes, finally back from a SECOND journey back to the repair facility.

I thought the article to be interesting in that similar to the Skechers shoes with the rounded bottom they claimed additional health benefits as As a selling point, only in this case there were actually detrimental effects and not just exaggerated health claims.

I still don't think I could wear these, but that is just my personal opinion and based upon my foot issues.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

How long did it take the testers to get comfortable putting on the vibrams?

I wore Vibram's before so my learning curve was much less. I knew the tricks to get them on before the shoes arrived. So my first time :)

Just ran across this article: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5302213?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular anyone having foot fatigue issues?

There is definitely a break-in period for your feet. You are using muscles that you don't normally use now. With that you need to gradually get your body used to it. My feet have been tired from using the shoes but that goes away the more you wear them and the more your body gets used to it.

I do apologize for not posting for a bit but it's honestly been a bit crazy and I wanted to get my thoughts put together well.

Practice
I have been working on correcting some things in my swing through lessons and my instructor like to have students hit bare foot when working on certain issues like weight transfer and loading on the back leg. These are better than being barefoot as I can where them to and from my lesson and my feet don't get tore up from the mat or any rocks in the grass or sand trap.

Being able to feel very precisely where my weight is during my swing I believe is really helping me make changes faster. I have worked through drills in "normal" shoes and in my V-Classics and I feel like I get better quality practice/work in when wearing these.

Comfort- these just can't be beat for me wether I am walking through the parking lot or paved cart path, gravel, or even the woods looking for an errant shot. Every single step is comfortable and gives you information about the course its condition, contours and what expect out of your next shot or putt.

Socks or No Socks either way these are super comfortable and keep your feet at a comfortable temp not too hot or cool, regardless of the temp 50's-90+.

Performance- These flat out perform in traction, I have had zero slippage issues from the fairways, rough, wood, weeds even those pesky low lying areas that are always squishy and you get a nice stable base in the sand.

Overall- I am extremely happy with these shoes and am looking at picking up another pair in a different color to have variety.

A huge thanks to THP and Vibram for this testing opportunity.

I just can't see how I could follow through and be up on my toe comfortably in these.

I have had zero issue with this, partially cause I get my weight onto the front foot really well now.

My biggest question is:

how do they feel on the green?

When i'm wearing lighter spikeless shoes i can 'feel' the break better when walking on the green... I wonder if this 'feeling' would amplify given the thinner and lighter vibram soles. Have any of you testers noticed this?

I prefer these on the green to every shoe I have worn, I can really feel the undulation and even the difference in moisture from green to green.

Wow this thread warms my heart ... I am new to THP, so maybe a little late to the topic, but I have been a proponent of alternate footwear on the golf course for a couple of years now. I currently wear New Balance mininus shoe ... a close cousin to these shoes ...

So happy to see the support people have shown, because I have been asked ... "you not going to wear those are you?"

I think we need to break some old standing concepts in golf marketing ...

After reading this thread I will go try a pair of these out.

(In full disclosure I have been know to even wear sandals as well ... the beer opener on the bottom comes in real handy. :) )

I wore the NB Minimus as an everyday shoe before testing these and I much prefer playing/practicing in these over them.

Dammit guys! I do not need to spend any more money on golf products this year, but this thread has made it very tough! I already have 2 pairs of shoes (Adizeros and some Oakley spikeless with sandpaper on the bottom). I love them both, but the idea of being able to feel more connected to the ground and read the green really intrigues me. I've owned a pair of the Vibram Komodosport shoes for about a year and a half, and they are absolutely my favorite running shoe. I'm wondering if I could just go wear these on the course for a round or two to try out before I buy the new golf-specific ones.

I'd wear you Komosports for awhile practicing and playing.

I want to thank the testers for putting these through their paces for review. Lots of great info and with that said, this testing is now complete. Thanks again guys.

I have enjoyed this one so much and I will keep wearing these as they are truly fantastic for me.

I know the reviews are technically over, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in here. Today was the second round I played in them and I got to say that they are really comfortable shoes. It doesn't take long before you don't "feel" the shoes in between your toes. You can really feel the course beneath your feet as you walk around. Today as I was getting ready, a lady came up and started talking to me out of the blue and then she just stopped cold. Then she exclaimed "Your Feet!!" I just cracked up. She said she loved them so I took the opportunity to spread the word about THP and talked with her about the shoes. Then two more ladies came up and she yells out "Look at his feet!! Look at his shoes!!" The started yelling about how they like them. One of their husbands wears Vibrams for hiking. She said are those golf shoes? They make golf shoes? She said she was going to go to the store or online and check them out. I preached about THP to them as well and they said that they were going to come check us out. Spread the word!!

That's the most reaction that I've gotten out of these shoes. The two guys I got paired up with never said a word, but one was a complete ass. But that's for another thread. The only thing I noticed was that after the round I met my wife and youngest son at the theatre to see Maleficent and when I got up to leave I noticed a little soreness in my feet. Not a bad soreness or pain like I've felt with my other golf shoes, but like muscle soreness from using foot muscles that don't normally see a lot of action wearing regular shoes. After a couple of steps it was gone.

In a nutshell I like these shoes and will continue to wear them. They'll be getting a round in tomorrow am.

Glenn glad to hear you are enjoying these.

I know that soreness you speak of in the foot. I believe it has to do with lactic acid building up in the feet, and like you with a couple steps it's gone

I wore them again today during a VFW scramble. You should have seen everyone's reaction. Everyone loved them. A couple of these retired guys even came up with stories of their vibrams. People are excited that they are offering a golf shoe.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I wore mine today and ran into a guy in the clubhouse that was all surprised to see me wearing them. He has some but never thought about them for golf. He raved about their comfort as did I. I walked 18 and they felt great, and my feet feel fine since. I'm glad I took my time working into wearing them more, but I won't hesitate to wear them for any round going forward.

I wore mine Friday to walk 18 and Saturday in a scramble and got lots of comments about them at the scramble.

These finally got washed Monday as wearing them bare foot made them not so pleasant smelling.

I still believe these are great shoes and perfect for feeling weight transfer during the swing. I've been working hard on getting the proper weight transfer during my swing and know that these are helping me make that change permanent.

I may not have been wearing these Sunday but believe it is because of my practice and play in these that my swing clicked on Sunday to blow my old PB out of the water.

These are quickly becoming some of my favorite golf shoes. I prefer them to the Faas Lite's.

My putting has improved a ton and like others have said... it really helps me focus on weight transfer and not sliding/swaying.

These are quickly becoming some of my favorite golf shoes. I prefer them to the Faas Lite's.

My putting has improved a ton and like others have said... it really helps me focus on weight transfer and not sliding/swaying.

amazing how they climbed the ranks

amazing how they climbed the ranks

It really is... when I first put them on... I couldn't have imagined playing golf in them. Now, I dont feel 100% comfortable on the course without them (spikeless shoe wise).

With that said, I still prefer my golf shoes with spikes.

Im a long term five-finger wearer. I have been wearing them for golf for about 4 years. Just wanted to chime in that the Treksport Sandals make for some awesome leopardfoot tan lines. Ive played about a dozen rounds in them so far this season and I just realized how much color I was getting on little stripes of my feet.

As much as I hate to do this, my aggravated Achilles tendon injury is preventing me from wearing these bad boys. Just a little background, I ruptured my Achilles a few years ago and for some odd reason, it has really been bothering me.

I would like to pass these off to someone that can get some usage out of these bad boys. I was picked as a tester, so I do not want cash for these.

Specs:
Speed XC Lite Model
Gray/Orange
Size 42 -> 9.5-10 US Size
Excellent condition

PM Me if they fit your needs and we can work something out.

MOVED TO MARKETPLACE.

Last edited:
I saw where you had to give your shoes away. That was a great gesture.

I know the reviews are technically over, but I was going to come on here and add some more thoughts in any case. I have worn nothing but these shoes for golf since I got them. I probably have a good 12- 15 rounds in them. They've been tortured as well. Sand, walking through thick rough and trees, I've stepped into a hole along a creek that was completely hidden and got completely mud drenched up to mid shin. Rinsed off in the creek and it was still pretty dingy. I wash these regularly since I use them barefoot (They make toe socks for them, but I've never felt the need to wear them). These things still look brand new after you wash them up. I even wear them camping and kayaking!! I love these shoes for anything outdoors. Mine are the white shoes with the old wingtip style print on it so you know if they still look white as ever after all of the use I've given them, they'll hold up well!!

I even wore them for 2 rounds this weekend. I brought my footjoys along just in case my feet were feeling tired after the first round, but I felt fine. I do have to admit that by the end of the second round my feet were tired, but everyone was complaining about something at that point. And Im the type of golfer that walks quite a bit even when I ride a cart. If we pull up to your ball, I'm probably getting out and grabbing my club and walking over to mine, not waiting for you to hit, then drive over to mine. If I'm close to the green, I'm grabbing whatever wedge I feel I need and my putter and just walking up to the green. I'd say that even when I ride in a cart, I"m probably closer to walking around 40% of the round.

I love these shoes.

Texas, nice to see you're still enjoying these. I have been wearing mine about half of my rounds lately. I went to the beach for a couple days and wore them the whole time. They really are comfortable. I still fight now and then getting them on with my darn pinky toes, but once one I love them.

Bump for an old thread

I still wear these when playing or practicing quite a bit. Although I was forced to put these on during a wet/soggy round at the ky invitational after sinking in mud to my ankles in my projects. I had zero traction issues even standing on ground I could feel the water squish out of. My feet did get wet but dried out quickly with none of the feeling of being in shoes that were soggy.

Nice bump FF. My boys were just asking about mine. I haven't worn them yet. Been a little cool in th am and a bit wet for my taste for these shoes. But you're right, if they get wet, everything dries out pretty quickly. I'm figuring mine will get put on in May.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I have never seen these shoes for sale in any local golf store, are they a real golf shoe or just a novelty item like a "flip-flop"?

I have never seen these shoes for sale in any local golf store, are they a real golf shoe or just a novelty item like a "flip-flop"?

You won't find them in a golf store, you may find them in a shoe specific store that carries vibrams and focuses on fitness shoes. I play in mine frequently and practice in them even more than that.

These shoes aren't for those who need arch support or can't go barefoot for long periods, as they make the muscles in your feet work and do what they are supposed to do.

Nice to see this thread get bumped. I look forward to it being dry again up here so I can break mine out again.

Nice to see this thread get bumped. I look forward to it being dry again up here so I can break mine out again.

As long as it's warm I'm no longer worried about it being wet after my round at Old Silo in them. I had plenty of traction even in the softest of spots, so as long as it's warm enough that my feet won't freeze I'll wear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back