Vibram Five Finger Shoes - Review Thread

Gents, great job in the testing!

I hope to try these on soon. Hard to find the largest size they make.

Vibram Speed XC Lite Testing 5/18/2014

Links to previous posts:
Intial thoughts: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/fo...=1#post2978461
First Range session: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/fo...=1#post2980733
First Round: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/fo...=1#post3004171
Second Round: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...eview-Thread&p=3023337&viewfull=1#post3023337

I hand washed my shoes, as I couldn't get the OK to put them in the washer, and let them air dry. I must have needed to try to shake or wring out more water as they took a couple days to dry fully. With that, they weren't dry enough to wear when I played Friday. So, I went out and wore my Puma Amp Cell Sports I'd been wearing before I started the testing.

Since I got my Pumas, I have loved how comfortable they are and never had any issues with them. I have to say though, since wearing the Speed XC Lites, I've experienced a different level of comfort. Right away when I put on the Pumas I noticed the difference. They didn't feel bad at all, it just was different enough to be noticeable. I missed the connection to the ground and the comfort I've come to enjoy from the Vibrams. It was truly an interesting feeling. It made me appreciate the comfort of the Vibrams and reiterated how much I like golfing in them.

So Fresh So Clean:
So today, the shoes were dry and I am impressed how well they cleaned up. I used regular laundry soap and just rubbed them with my hands and used an old toothbrush on the soles. They really cleaned up well considering what I'd put them through in the mud out at Lake Padden last time. I was happy to see the water stain marks I had seen previously were totally gone. Quite happy with how well they clean up and how little work it took to get them that clean.

the clean shoes:
Spoiler

vibrams3.jpg

vibrams-zoomed.jpg

With dry shoes I headed up to North Bellingham golf course, which has a pretty stellar practice area, this morning.

Feel and looks:
As always, I struggled with my left foot pinky toe getting in the slot. I feel like I'm getting faster with it, but it's still awkward and takes me a little bit. Left foot isn't an issue, but it was even commented on about how long it took to get them on compared to my normal shoes. It doesn't bother me all that much to have to take the extra time to get them on, but it was apparently noticeable to others. Once on, I was once again comfortable and quickly lost conscious awareness of wearing them vs. any other shoes I would wear. I chipped and putted for a while, then went and hit some balls for about an hour. Afterwards, I just kept them on as I ran errands around town. They are comfortable whether walking on grass or concrete/asphalt and as someone who likes being barefooted, really give as close a feeling to being barefooted as you could have with a shoe on. I really enjoy that. As much as I'm wearing them more and more and getting accustomed to them, I still don't think I'd ever run in them. I feel like with the impact I would have with each step it would wreck my feet without having a bit more cushion on them. Part of that is due to my size, and that I'm pretty darn sure I don't run properly, so that's really just my opinion based on me.

I'm getting more comfortable wearing them in situations outside of the course. I'm still a bit self conscious of how they look, but no one's stared or said anything that I've ever noticed, so I'm slowly getting over the feeling like they stand out much. I'm trying to just let go of that anxiety and just enjoy the shoes. That and just not look down at them too much. I am trying to keep open minded on the looks but so far it's still a bit of a sore point to me on them. Again though, not having had any awkward social situations while wearing them is making me feel a little better about them.

Golf related thoughts:

Once again, the feeling of being connected to the ground is really really nice during my swing. I struggle a lot with my weight, and keeping it in control during my swing. I feel like with these on, I am much more aware of where my weight is in my swing and it helps me swing within myself much better. I still tend to overswing the driver, but I can feel where my weight is more easily and it helps me adjust when I get too far outside on my back swing. As I've said each time, walking the greens is one of my favorite parts of these related to playing golf in them. Every time I do, it gives me such a neat feeling and gives me a bit more confidence which is really nice.

Summary:
I was really impressed in how well the shoes clean up. I suspect that doing them in the washer then air drying as recommended by their care instructions would take even less time and hassle than my hand washing, as well as dry quicker. Next time I clean them I will try to see what I can do about getting some of the excess water out before letting them air dry to see if that speeds up dry time.

I am more and more comfortable with how they look, though it still is in the back of my mind that I have gorilla feet. Turns out I'm more self conscious than anyone really noticing so it's not been bad. The comfort is really incredible even comparing against shoes that I have always felt were comfortable. It surprised me how much more comfortable I felt in the Vibrams than my Pumas, and I love my Pumas.

All in all, these continue to surprised me and I'm getting more and more used to wearing them in any situation.

Updated pics of the soles:
Spoiler

soles-5-18-2014.jpg

As always, any questions or anything, feel free to ask or let me know. Thanks!

GolfinFF! You da man. Guess what my wife had hangin from the doorknob when Iv got back from my son's state golf tourney? You got it, these bad dogs.
nyna6ezy.jpg

I've been wearing them all evening and I like. Unlike most of you, my big toe wanted to slide into the second toe slot. I just angle the shoe a small bit and my toes just slide in all the right spots. Easy peasy.

It feels weird feeling the shoes in between the toes, but it doesn't feel uncomfortable, or like its going to rub blisters. It's one of those things that o think I won't even notice in short order.

They'll get their first golf outing on Thursday and I'll embarrass my buds by wearing them again on Saturday. No matter what, it can't be as bad as when a friend showed up in knickers and vest with cap and all in orange and blue, lol.

Oh yeah, and you can't do this
ny3e6emu.jpg

In regular shoes.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

You guys are doing a great job on this testing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The forum is doing a great job with the reviews on these, certainly something I may not have given much thought to before the reviews, but after seeing how they work for everyone, I want to try them on myself now!

Some good reviews here, but those are the most god awful looking shoes I have ever seen.

My biggest question is:

how do they feel on the green?

When i'm wearing lighter spikeless shoes i can 'feel' the break better when walking on the green... I wonder if this 'feeling' would amplify given the thinner and lighter vibram soles. Have any of you testers noticed this?

My biggest question is:

When i'm wearing lighter spikeless shoes i can 'feel' the break better when walking on the green... I wonder if this 'feeling' would amplify given the thinner and lighter vibram soles. Have any of you testers noticed this?

I feel everything more wearing the unbelievable light weight Vibrams compared to my lightweight ECCO spikeless. You are almost barefoot. Last week I watched Jim McMahon play barefoot in a celebrity outing.
These are a fantastic shoe for practicing/training/learning with weight shift to putting. Feeling is great.

Wow this thread warms my heart ... I am new to THP, so maybe a little late to the topic, but I have been a proponent of alternate footwear on the golf course for a couple of years now. I currently wear New Balance mininus shoe ... a close cousin to these shoes ...

So happy to see the support people have shown, because I have been asked ... "you not going to wear those are you?"

I think we need to break some old standing concepts in golf marketing ...

After reading this thread I will go try a pair of these out.

(In full disclosure I have been know to even wear sandals as well ... the beer opener on the bottom comes in real handy. :) )

I just can't see how I could follow through and be up on my toe comfortably in these.

With the way the toes allow for you to move and have their own little support/traction bits on them this really isn't as big an issue as you would think, I've found. Also, the sole comes up over the tip of the toes a bit to give you protection if you get up to your tippie toes, though that may not be enough for everyone.

Some good reviews here, but those are the most god awful looking shoes I have ever seen.

The looks is the biggest thing I struggle with. However, in my wearing them out, I've gotten no more than just glances at them. No one's stared or said anything about them so it hasn't bothered me too much.

My biggest question is:

On the greens these are wonderful. You can really feel the contours more than with regular shoes. I wouldn't say it's quite as good as walking the green barefooted, but it's pretty darn good and has helped me a lot.

These do not catch my eyes.

Again, the looks *are* a bit much. Not everyone is going to be able to get past that. heck, Im not sure I can. As someone that enjoys being barefooted though, it gives me nearly that same feeling to my feet, while allowing me to be wearing some sort of shoe to get some protections you don't get barefooted. The key I've found so far is just not to look down at them. :)

Dammit guys! I do not need to spend any more money on golf products this year, but this thread has made it very tough! I already have 2 pairs of shoes (Adizeros and some Oakley spikeless with sandpaper on the bottom). I love them both, but the idea of being able to feel more connected to the ground and read the green really intrigues me. I've owned a pair of the Vibram Komodosport shoes for about a year and a half, and they are absolutely my favorite running shoe. I'm wondering if I could just go wear these on the course for a round or two to try out before I buy the new golf-specific ones.

Dammit guys! I do not need to spend any more money on golf products this year, but this thread has made it very tough! I already have 2 pairs of shoes (Adizeros and some Oakley spikeless with sandpaper on the bottom). I love them both, but the idea of being able to feel more connected to the ground and read the green really intrigues me. I've owned a pair of the Vibram Komodosport shoes for about a year and a half, and they are absolutely my favorite running shoe. I'm wondering if I could just go wear these on the course for a round or two to try out before I buy the new golf-specific ones.

Jhkaplan, you could very easily wear the one you have to the driving range for some practice or the course before buying.
Thats what I would do before making another purchase.

I can't get pass the looks of these. That alone would keep me away. I think even if they felt good, I could still not do it. Didn't I see a lawsuit on a similar shoe design in the news lately as well?

I want to thank the testers for putting these through their paces for review. Lots of great info and with that said, this testing is now complete. Thanks again guys.

Great job with the testing fellas.

Really great job everyone. Superb job of testing. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job everyone.

I want to thank THP and Vibram for the great opportunity to wear/test these new golf shoes.

Jeff
sent using tapatalk

How long did it take the testers to get comfortable putting on the vibrams?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It took me 3 or 4 times putting them on to get figured the best way for me. I'm still not totally comfortable with it, but I can get them on reasonably easy now.

It took me 2-3 times of putting them on to really get comfortable. Now it is a breeze.

Just ran across this article: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5302213?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular anyone having foot fatigue issues?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Looks like you got your smartphone back!

I saw that article a few weeks ago. This lawsuit wouldn't deter me from buying or trying out these shoes. Whether or not there are health benefits to them is another story. I do know that it would take some time for your feet to get used to wearing them.

Back