Vibram Five Finger Shoes - Review Thread

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Five lucky THP'ers were selected to do a long-term testing of these unique golf shoes, and they will use this thread to post their feedback. Feel free to use this thread to ask as many questions as you would like on the product.

Came home to an exciting package on the front porch!!!!!

Vibram Speed XC Lite

I haven't hit the course with them yet, but I did try them on and have some quick initial thoughts and pics.

Initial thoughts
- Super duper light weight
- Very flexible
- Grip on the bottom seems to be on par with spike less shoes. I took some casual swings and didn't notice myself losing my footing at all.
- Comes with two pair of shoe strings (Orange and Gray)
- Not uber easy to put on (directions on lid of box really help). Basically, you have to slide your foot in and arrange your toes for the toe slots and then pull the heel over your heel to completely put it on. Wasn't as easy as a regular sneaker, but since I own Vibram's, I had no issue.
- They run true to size. I wear a 9.5 and I went with the size 42 (9.5-10) and they fit perfectly.
- The one thing that I did notice is... If you have sweaty feet, I'd recommend socks. Just from having them on inside for 5 minutes, my feet were sweaty. Disclaimer - I sweat an insane amount all of the time.
- FLAT OUT COMFORTABLE!!!!!

Here are a few pics that I snapped while un-boxing and after I put them on. I plan on hitting the course tomorrow, so I will definitely give much more feedback then.

20140417_191616_zps1c8dls8a.jpg

20140417_191628_zps5yvyyjeh.jpg

20140417_191646_zps9zqvfhdh.jpg

20140417_191717_zps1q3kkpj3.jpg

20140417_191734_zpsvzpf0yaw.jpg

IMG_8434_zpsptdzzqyu.jpg

IMG958436_zps2u667i3f.jpg

IMG958435_zpscbogcte0.jpg

IMG_8433_zpssib6em0v.jpg

Thanks to Vibram and THP for this fun and amazing opportunity.

Last edited:
My shoes came in today and I'm very excited for this. I will be reviewing the V-Classic LR. My first impression is how good these shoes look. I haven't confirmed this but the shoe seems to be made of leather and feels great.

I tried them on and they run true to size. I wear a size 13 and that correlated to a 46 in Vibram sizing. No extra room but not too tight either. I'm going to go to the range with them tomorrow and will report back. Here's some pics:

tarebere.jpg

pypuzebe.jpg

apuga5a2.jpg

8unybuga.jpg

Great pic's guys, I've loving the look of these. The casuals would be great for double duty on course and my boat. Can't wait to hear more!

ps: I'll be curious if you see blisters between the toes from turning twisting in these with no socks.

Great pic's guys, I've loving the look of these. The casuals would be great for double duty on course and my boat. Can't wait to hear more!

ps: I'll be curious if you see blisters between the toes from turning twisting in these with no socks.

I am as well. I am going to test them with and without socks. My feet were in them for about 5-10 minutes and my feet were sweaty.

They are definitely wild looking. My biggest question now for the testers (and the Sanzabar seems to have already answered it) is socks or no socks? Do you have vibram style sneakers now and do you wear socks with them? It looks to me like they'd be easier to wear without socks, but at the same time, I can't picture myself walking 18 in these without socks.

Great thoughts so far guys.

They are definitely wild looking. My biggest question now for the testers (and the Sanzabar seems to have already answered it) is socks or no socks? Do you have vibram style sneakers now and do you wear socks with them? It looks to me like they'd be easier to wear without socks, but at the same time, I can't picture myself walking 18 in these without socks.

I own standard Vibram's and I wear them without socks. As I think about it, I don't think I've ever tried socks with them. Generally I wear the standards when I am going to the beach, park or something outdoors. I have noticed some foot sweat without socks but I never considered socks for casual use.

Since the Speed XC Lite are for golf, I think with hard core walking for 3 hours, my feet would sweat a great deal and I'd rather have dry feet rather to looking goofy in socks.

Wow, those are um... interesting.

I'm interested in hearing how the traction is in these, although if I'm honest with myself, I probably would not be able to wear these though. I really like a traditional shoe and have serious foot issues that would not make these a viable option for me. Congrats again to those selected and have fun with your testing.

typo's courtesy of Samsung Galaxy S4 autocorrect... Enjoy!

I am as well. I am going to test them with and without socks. My feet were in them for about 5-10 minutes and my feet were sweaty.

I'm kind of surprises by this, although you mentioned being a sweater-er, lol. They look very light and breathable and the tag shows Dry-Lex or something, I'm guessing thats to disapate moisture.

Whoa, not sure about the looks and how they would hold up smell wise with sweaty feet. Will be interested in following along.

Good initial thoughts guys, I really like when a company includes two sets of laces with their shoes, just a nice touch. They look quite different with the different color laces as well. I don't think my feet would agree with these at all.

As for socks, I assume you can't wear regular socks but would have to have the socks with toes?

Interesting to see these. Can't wait to hear all about them

Love the in hand pics! Great initial thoughts as well. Definitely on the ponder list, so I will be following along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Excellent initial thoughts and photos, these are intriguing for sure.

Good reviews. I so wish that I could have been one of the lucky 5!! I look forward to hearing more and how your feet feel after a round. Especially for you walking players. My feet used to kill me after a round so non achy feet afterward are super important to me!!

Good stuff fellas, some really solid initial thoughts.

This testing is the most intriguing of any we have had to me, they're just SO different!

off to a good start. I think it's somewhat funny that they come with instructions on how to put them on. Sounds like they are comfortable right now, wonder how they will feel after walking 18.

Great thoughts guys. And really intriguing first impressions.

For me they are just too extreme and not my style at all. I just don't think after 18 holes they are going to be comfortable.

off to a good start. I think it's somewhat funny that they come with instructions on how to put them on. Sounds like they are comfortable right now, wonder how they will feel after walking 18.
I just dont think I would ever purchase them or wear them, regardless of comfort.

I just dont think I would ever purchase them or wear them, regardless of comfort.

I don't think I would either TBH. I am intrigued by them however.

Loving the initial thoughts on these...hadn't even thought about the socks or no socks issue....does Vibram make socks to go with the shoes?

I don't think I would either TBH. I am intrigued by them however.
I have worn the regular ones a few times, as they were something we used to sell. They are comfortable and accomplish the goal they set to meet, however, they just werent my cup of tea.

I am curious to see how the testers like them on the course and what kind of results they see from their golf game from them.

Off to a great start, guys. I cant speak to the unique torquing that comes from the golf swing, but I've run a 10K without socks in them and the more snug they fit (without discomfort) the less they chafe. So long as they run true to size, you shouldn't have much trouble.

I love the choice of shoestrings. Subtle addition, but definitely changes the complexion of the shoe!

Great start guys, the wife said a box came today while I'm on shift so I won't get to see them till sometime tomorrow.

They are definitely wild looking. My biggest question now for the testers (and the Sanzabar seems to have already answered it) is socks or no socks? With my sweaty feet I will be wearing socks with out a doubt.

Do you have vibram style sneakers now and do you wear socks with them?
It looks to me like they'd be easier to wear without socks, but at the same time, I can't picture myself walking 18 in these without socks. I do not have the the fivefinger style shoes but when I tried them on for sizing with sock it was easy to slide my feet in them

As for socks, I assume you can't wear regular socks but would have to have the socks with toes?

You are correct about the need for socks with individual toes.

Great thoughts guys. And really intriguing first impressions.

For me they are just too extreme and not my style at all. I just don't think after 18 holes they are going to be comfortable.

I will hopefully be able to give everyone an idea on the walk ability and comfort of these by the end of the weekend.

Back