Video of my current, awful swing...any advice?

cmoors

Resident Swinger
Reaction score
Handicap
Thanks for looking btw.

Long story short, I've been working with a pro to rebuild my swing.

It's involved setup changes, grip changes, you name it. Here's where I'm currently at:
[video=youtube;LjyCA4VooDc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjyCA4VooDc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjyCA4VooDc[/video]

As I look at this video I cringe. You can see that the wheels are turning in my head for every swing (is my grip correct? are my hands correct? am I tilted?)

• Hands crank early and look funny
  • Head raises up during backswing
  • Hips don't seem to be clearing well

Any advice on fixing those things? Drills, tips, setup changes? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Well there are a few things that I see that need some attention. First of all the grip looks good and so does the ball position. With you the hands set too early and that is what is getting the club flat at the top. The bigger issue is that you are having weight transfer issues that are leading to turning the hips too much and late in the swing. I would like you to start turning early in your swing to stop the late turn and to get a better weight transfer. Lets start with the takeaway. You take the club back with all arms and no turn. I would like you to place a stake in the ground at your waist height on your toe line. (for the back swing). the distance from you should be at takeaway I want you to feel like you reach back and when you do the hosel of your club should hit the stake. This is proper distance. The goal is to make a big turn and feel the extension. Let me know if you need more of an explination on this. I want you to swing and clip the top of the stake on your back swing but I want you to turn and feel the reach versus the hands getting active to start.

First off, thank you for taking the time to look and respond. I really appreciate the advice.

I think I understand what you're saying...if I have a horizontal practice stick waist height at my tow line, the shaft should hit it on the takeaway?

If this helps, I also have a down the line shot...which shows just how far below the plane I go.

I get the feeling the takeaway, weight shift and plane problems are all related.

If I correctly understood your first post, I'll work on setting something up in my apartment so I can swing at home.

Thanks man.

Yes this club will get your swinging the club more on plane. THe quick inside move you see is why you come over the top. It is the only place you can go. Getting the club moving in a better spot to the top will help a ton.

I would hardly call that awful :alien2:

I've been there myself bud .... TRY to not think so much "pre-swing" .. your preswing thoughts about all of these items are killing you. I can see it in the video - all the "checklists" being resolved etc... I finally came to the conclusion that "Bubba" was a much better player than I was --- Whenever I hit a bad shot, and just walk up and hit another - it ways always pured right down the middle....because I wasn't thinking about the checklists ! Try it ....

Thanks guys.

I'm trying to keep the setup thoughts simple; hoping it kinda resolves itself as I get more acclimated to the new swing.

My buddy brought out this contraption that used a foam noodle to check swing plane (if you didn't get the club up you nailed it)...it was an annoying but effective toy!

I'm getting a lesson today and hope to have some corrected footage. Again, thanks for all the help and replies.

Ok,

I tried using your drill and it helped quite a bit for keeping the initial takeaway closer to plane.

About halfway through the backswing I drop below plane, but its getting slightly better.

I'll keep working on it. For those of you that don't have a flip camera, I highly recommend getting one. So cheap and easy to setup on the range.

Last edited:
The other thing I would look at is the hand positions on the way back. You are picking the club up with your hands. IF you can stop the video half way up look how far out in front of your toe lines your hands are. There is no connection between the arms and body. Sticking a towel under both arms for the takeaway would go a long ways to better connection. Let me know how that add on works for you.

Amollerud, if I ever make it to Florida I owe you a few beers.

I'm hitting the range again tomorrow (back's starting to tighten up from all the swinging) and will give that a shot.

Ok,

Here's where I'm at now. Much better plane; still need to work on getting it up on the last part.

One question: how can I fix my lower body? My legs still feel stuck on the backswing (overturning)...and I'm not driving them through the ball.

Any advice?

This will be some work to do around the house. Get in your setup posture with a low back chair in front of you. Have your thighs about an inch from the back of the chair. Make your turn to the top and when you feel your left thigh hit the chair the low body stops and the shoulders keep turning. THis will feel like the low body barely moves and that is what we are after. Try this out and see if you can get this feel.

Back