I shall wear something sexy before the bf walks out the door so he will visualize butt rather than putt. Aha. I mean... what?

Nice flag there btw coolbreeze

I have introduced a prestart routine before my swings. Everything bar the putter involves standing behind the ball and giving myself the time to pick a spot and visualise the ball bouncing on that dot. I give myself about 5 seconds by tucking my club under my arm, pulling down on my glove, lining up the picked spot and my ball, lowering the clubhead, and using this line to pick an intermediate spot. While lowering the club I am visualising the shot in reverse.

For putting after picking a line, picking a spot for the "adjusted" cup location, I stand behind the ball and make a practice swing while looking at the cup and imagining my club swinging along my target line. This helps me visualise just like I was passing a ball to a friend with an underarm action (how often do you undershoot or overshoot when doing that? Not often I bet). I memorise this swing pace, and replicate it after taking my stance.

I have also heard some people talk of putting while looking at the target, this helps stop you focussing on the putter head and overthinking its path.

Both routines have helped me out of sight in calming down, and trusting my alignment.

BobbyBoucher.jpg

Visualize, and then attack!

I've visualized my putting line for a long time (thank you Tiger Woods PGA Tour!) and recently started seeing the line for my other shots whether full, pitch, or chip. In my mind it shows up as a moderate thickness, semi-transparent grey trace through the air or on the ground. Then I focus on producing the shot without worrying about exact swing mechanics. It's really helped with my consistency recently because the game has become about executing the shot and working the course rather than trying to hit the ball.

How many visualize a shot before they hit it? Like seeing in your mind's eye the ball traveling on the line you want it to take and landing near the target. Or in the case of putting, while lining a putt up, seeing it roll along the line and into the hole.

I'm especially interested in putting, as I'm trying to find a way for my daughter to get the ball closer to, or into, the cup with her first putts. She seems to have become disconnected with where she wants the ball to go and getting it there. Very frustrating to watch.

Kevin

Yes. I try to visualize every shot, especially chips.

To help your daughter with distance control on the greens, have her practice actually looking at the hole. Then transition back to looking at the ball and mentally visualizing the putt.

Also, a drill that helps with distance control is to drop a ball 5 feet out, another 10 feet, and a third at 15 feet. Practice putting them in order from shortest to longest. Do this over and over from different angles, uphill and downhill.

Sent via Tapatalk on Android

You know I played a round a few weeks back where I made several really long putts and for some reason that day as I stared at the putts I could just "see" the line on the green.....it really was like that "aimpoint" thing they do on the Golf Channel...I could just see the dark line and all I had to do was hit the line with the right speed and BINGO!

I made at least 5 putts over 20 feet that day....it hasnt happened since, but I hope it does happen again soon...like during the Morgan Cup would be nice :D

Back