Voice Caddie SC200 Portable Launch Monitor Review

My SC200 review unit came in tonight so I immediately headed to the range.

First thoughts - Device feels well made and the screen is clear and easy to read. I didnt bother with the instructions at first (who needs em!). This didnt quite work out because 2 minutes in I needed it because the device shipped with the default set to meters. Oh well.

I just ran it in practice mode tonight and hit some variety of shots. The range I go to has rudimentary distance that I kind of used to measure. The response from the unit was pretty quick, by the time I turned to look at the device it has already registered distance and based on some other checks was pretty spot on. Tonight was a quick run-down so I will add some more once I get more in depth.

2 things I noticed. It does not do well with offline shots at all. I guess that's my own issue but something I noticed. It also struggled with lower launching shots registering right. In both instances they were obvious mishits but I was getting some pretty weird numbers from low launching long irons, specifically my 4-iron.

More to come...

Throwing it out there, I'll advise those who got the units in to work with to read the setup instructions as far as distance from ball goes, it makes a difference and inevitably you will find your sweet spot.

I got my unit yesterday and of course it rains today. Since this is my first ever at testing anything like this, I'll brush up on the instructions and wait for the weekend.

I got my unit yesterday and of course it rains today. Since this is my first ever at testing anything like this, I'll brush up on the instructions and wait for the weekend.

Mine was supposed to make it yesterday but inexplicably it did not arrive. Would expect it to show today. Funny thing about today is... yep, it’s raining here too!:confused2:

Last edited:
USPS Priority has been drinking or has the worst direction sense in the history of shipping. Package arrived in CA three days ago and has now decided that it has business in Louisiana! If it doesn’t bring me back something nice I’m gonna be pissed!

JB, GG you may want to get your money back for any sort of expedited service you paid for.

Through it all, I remain a patient but concerned tester. I think USPS has a real problem.

The weather here is still a little misty in the AM. Really didn't want to take the unit out in this weather calling for cooler and drier starting Monday. I did however take this unit in an open field and hit some SW just to see how accurate this thing is. I took as few swings with my 56* TM Milled Grind and I got 79 distance, 1.08 smash factor, a ball speed of 70mph, and a 71 mph swing speed. This was fairly consistent with my sand wedge swing. This thing is really cool, can't wait to actually put it through its paces. I wish that there was a chart that you could relate your figures to get an idea of what you're doing right or wrong. As far as distance goes, I measured it against my Tour V4 and it was fairly accurate to within a few yards. This thing is really kind of addicting! My first time out with anything like this and I love it.

Voice Caddie SC200 Portable Launch Monitor Review

OK, a full range session in the books and I read the entire manual this time to ensure I understood the features and settings.

It looks like the device remembers previous loft settings for each club and I really like that. The range for each club in the device makes it very useable.

I am still impressed by the speed of registering shots. I have said in my last post that by the time I turned to look at the device it had already registered distance in most instances so no wasted time. I want to test the voice setting but I am going to do so in a less congested environment to avoid distracting other players.

The device is money on full swings, period. I have an issue with the hybrid distances it's telling me but I will save that for the end.

It seems to have issues with lofted shots. I was using approach mode and on the 50 yard and les shots I was hitting flops and it was giving me some very bad distances. The range I was at has a pin at 56 yards and I had quite a few shots in the 40-60 yard range registering at 70-72 yards.

The only other issue I am having today, and maybe it's just me and I need some fresh eyes is a comparison between my 4i and my 20* hybrid. The distances I am seeing with my 4i as they register appear to be longer then they should be, while my hybrid shots are shorter. Here is a screen shot so some smarter people can tell me if something is up. The launch appears normal to me so im baffled.

02e4b3f031aed9335f26acc5f03021b5.jpg

3443f5e745b1e59635a9bc2c559d9e7e.jpg

Not surprised at all your coming away impressed overall, it's what I saw with both iterations through hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of golf shots.

Flops will always be an issue given the size of the unit and how quickly and HIGH those shots launch, it's just one of the nature's of the beast with a device that isn't a full 10k+ launch monitor.

As for the hybrids, looks like a programming goof to me. Next time, hit the 4i and hybo on the same loft setting (both ways, iron and then U) and see what comes from that to be sure.

Not surprised at all your coming away impressed overall, it's what I saw with both iterations through hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of golf shots.

Flops will always be an issue given the size of the unit and how quickly and HIGH those shots launch, it's just one of the nature's of the beast with a device that isn't a full 10k+ launch monitor.

As for the hybrids, looks like a programming goof to me. Next time, hit the 4i and hybo on the same loft setting (both ways, iron and then U) and see what comes from that to be sure.

I did notice also when I hit lower shots it struggles a bit as well. I mean I can not expect perfection from the price point and I would toss those results anyway.

Do you feel the swing speed results it gives are accurate?

I did notice also when I hit lower shots it struggles a bit as well. I mean I can not expect perfection from the price point and I would toss those results anyway.
Thin, bladed, and true punch shots will struggle off and on depending on the club in hand. It's all a launch window capture thing, it's size is it's limitation in my opinion, but its also what makes it a great practice tool. It's like I said in both reviews, it's best to see it as that, a practice device, rather than a LM replacement that I think many of us wish it was.

Do you feel the swing speed results it gives are accurate?
One of the things I went and found a LM at the time of both reviews to test against, was within 2mph for me time on average.

Thin, bladed, and true punch shots will struggle off and on depending on the club in hand. It's all a launch window capture thing, it's size is it's limitation in my opinion, but its also what makes it a great practice tool. It's like I said in both reviews, it's best to see it as that, a practice device, rather than a LM replacement that I think many of us wish it was.

I think the Approach mode is where I am going to use the crap out of this. If I can better manage my short game it will pay huge dividends.

I think the Approach mode is where I am going to use the crap out of this. If I can better manage my short game it will pay huge dividends.
It's where I used it most post review, if I didn't have access to what I do now, I'd have never given it away to a thper and I'd still be using it. It's that good.

The only other issue I am having today, and maybe it's just me and I need some fresh eyes is a comparison between my 4i and my 20* hybrid. The distances I am seeing with my 4i as they register appear to be longer then they should be, while my hybrid shots are shorter. Here is a screen shot so some smarter people can tell me if something is up. The launch appears normal to me so im baffled.

I set my unit to U4 21 for my 3H shots.

USPS Priority has been drinking or has the worst direction sense in the history of shipping. Package arrived in CA three days ago and has now decided that it has business in Louisiana! If it doesn’t bring me back something nice I’m gonna be pissed!

JB, GG you may want to get your money back for any sort of expedited service you paid for.

Through it all, I remain a patient but concerned tester. I think USPS has a real problem.

I know USPS was having shipping issues because of some of their offices being closed because of the Cal fires. I had to wait a week longer for delivery.

I know USPS was having shipping issues because of some of their offices being closed because of the Cal fires. I had to wait a week longer for delivery.

That would make some sense, not sure why it would check in at Bakersfield and then in Baton Rouge! Either way it appears to be sorted and is set for delivery today!

I should be able to find some time to start the review process this week. Taking the week off to spend time with the fam and should be able to steal away for an hour or so. Hoping to have a good friend of mine join me to get his impressions as well.

how high is the launch when the unit has trouble recording numbers accurately?

That would make some sense, not sure why it would check in at Bakersfield and then in Baton Rouge! Either way it appears to be sorted and is set for delivery today!

I should be able to find some time to start the review process this week. Taking the week off to spend time with the fam and should be able to steal away for an hour or so. Hoping to have a good friend of mine join me to get his impressions as well.
Congrats on the new addition to the family!!

I wait your review. I was looking to buy one of these recently. Glad I waited to see how you guys rate/review them. They seem pretty good for pratctice on the range. Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Weather here has been so crappy these past several days. Seeing some improvement mid week or so. To be honest, can't wait until I can get it out on the range!

Does this version have more / different practice modes than the original version?

I posed a question to Voice Caddie about a new version - like a SC300. They said, "There are big plans for the SC300 but that is all that can be revealed". Interesting...

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Does this version have more / different practice modes than the original version?
No it doesn't, but it adds voice feedback, more data on screen, loft input, and barometric pressure adaptation.

It took a few extra days but the Swing Caddie SC200 arrived on Monday and was quickly unboxed. This post is going to serve as my initial impressions of the unit/remote and as you will see, is fairly critical of a few elements.

But first a bit about me… I am a mid handicapper who is very busy at work and with a growing family. Since I started golfing I have always loved my time at the range. I feel that my regular practice makes me a better golfer and I truly enjoy “learning” my swing and trying new ways to hit golf shots. I am also a bit of a tech nerd and love gadgetry, I prefer simple/intuitive technology that doesn’t get in it’s own way. Through that lens, I will be reviewing the SC200.

d371241f35ba67a860a27349dd77b761.jpg

Opening up the box I was very impressed with how the unit arrived, well packaged and in pristine shape. In addition to the unit and remote, Voice Caddie also included a sweet red protective case. After reading the manual and loading up some batteries, I began to play around with the unit. The unit itself is slightly smaller in size (but not depth) to an iPhone 8+ and feels fairly stout. The remote is a bit bigger than an AppleTV remote and feels lightweight; which could be good or bad, I’m going with good, as it is hardly noticeable in your pocket.

0a9936660806e04fcb19548aa3609780.jpg

0a6ceafb6326ea6fb88729ab7e72a5e4.jpg

On to the first task, loading my lofts into the unit for better accuracy. First little hiccup, nowhere in the User Manual does it say how to do this. Okay, quick internet search later and we are making necessary changes. Easy enough, most clubs have a 7* range that is sure to match your clubs loft. With one major issue…

In looking at the remote I noticed that they don’t have a button for a Lob Wedge and the highest loft for the Sand Wedge is 60*. I quickly realized a deficiency, and a pretty big one at that. Unless I’m mistaken, the only way to have a typical 4 wedge setup included would be to have my LW actually be in the SW slot and then have every single wedge/iron be one number off from it’s actual number.

The more I got to looking at the remote, the more it seemed to be a poorly thought out design. The buttons have little flow and seem to be an afterthought. The Driver button can only select one driver, the Iron buttons can only select their specific individual iron, in contrast the Wood & Utility buttons allows you to cycle through 5 different woods/utilities (each).
6414140806321ff7ce6ef419d2f643c0.jpg

I think what frustrated me is that this is a VERY simple fix. The unit and program can do exactly what is needed but the remote is limiting. The remote and unit are very responsive so there is a lot of good. Heck, a button that is a “wild card” that can have any loft would solve the problem.

I did a mockup of what I think would be a good change to the remote. It would be good for everyone but JB (with his two drivers), my grandpa (with his four FWs), KJ Choi (with his bag full of hybrids) and God (with his 1 iron).
28577daec295e25c2edeb07cd50de6a4.jpg

Next up, putting her through her paces.

Back