Voice caddie SC300

I just received the SC300 and thought I would do a quick comparison with the SC200 indoors with my 6-iron. I hit maybe 25-30 balls (Pro V1x and Callaway Chrome Plus) and here is my initial impression. The SC300 and SC200 carry distances were really close (generally with 0-2 yards). The SC300 consistently showed about 3-4 Mph less swing speed than the SC200. However, it consistently recorded higher ball speeds by about 4-6 Mph. I thinned a couple of shots early on before I was warmed up and the SC300 showed a launch angle of around 20* (in reality the LA should have been closer to 9-10*). My Hogan Ft.Worth 15 "6-iron" is 28*. I can attest that the launch angle does in fact seem to show on the high side. My actual launch angle with this club is generally in the 14-17* range. The lowest the SC300 showed was 18.8*. So the LA seems to be about 10-25% too high. The reported Apex on the two thinned shots was clearly off while the carry seemed about right for the miss-hits. I was getting reported smash factors or 1.41-1.48 (which seems on the high side for 6-iron) on the SC300 while the SC200 was in the 1.30-1.35. I would expect smash factors in the 1.31-1.41 range for this club. In actual use last year, the SC200 did seem to give low ball speeds and the swing speed seemed about right. I am going to call the company tomorrow and see if we can determine why the numbers seem flipped between the two machines. The SC200 swing speed seems more accurate and the SC300 ball speed seems more accurate. Combining the two would put the smash numbers where I would expect them to be. I will follow up on this post after I talk to the Swing Caddie folks.

Kaos

I called the Company today and let them know about my test. The Tech guy asked me to retest with the SC200 on the opposite side of the SC300 and he also said the SC300 radar was not in the center but in the upper left corner when facing the SC300. He did indicate that they were working on a firmware update to fix smash factor. I suspect that this will entail correcting the swing speed reading which will lower the smash to where it should be. He said he was not aware of the high launch angle reporting but he would pass that along to the firmware folks. He asked if the reported carry numbers matched up and when he heard the results (within 0-2 yards) he said that was what he would expect. So, there is a firmware fix coming in the near future. I asked if he had an estimate and he said not really. I asked if we were we were talking weeks or months and he said probably months. It sounded like they want to get it right. I am going to make the tweaks he suggested and I will report back later tonight on the updated tests.

Kaos

Last edited:
I got on the range and busted this out for about 20 shots. I think carry distance was pretty solid (but that is just eyeballing where a ball lands compared to landmarks I had lasered) but launch/peak height and even swing speed was spotty at best IMHO. Sun was out, and 64* so conditions could not have been much better. Got two false readings early, but didn't see any the rest of the way, but did have 3 swings that did not get picked up. 2 of them were hit fat (like an inch or 2 behind the ball) so that didn't surprise me too much on those 2.

I am going to try hitting some shots with the ball more in range with the left portion of the but if I don't see quite a leap in accuracy I am going to return this thing. If it is going to take months to make a product somewhat workable... guess what you released it too early.

I got on the range and busted this out for about 20 shots. I think carry distance was pretty solid (but that is just eyeballing where a ball lands compared to landmarks I had lasered) but launch/peak height and even swing speed was spotty at best IMHO. Sun was out, and 64* so conditions could not have been much better. Got two false readings early, but didn't see any the rest of the way, but did have 3 swings that did not get picked up. 2 of them were hit fat (like an inch or 2 behind the ball) so that didn't surprise me too much on those 2.

I am going to try hitting some shots with the ball more in range with the left portion of the but if I don't see quite a leap in accuracy I am going to return this thing. If it is going to take months to make a product somewhat workable... guess what you released it too early.

i guess we should wait to see if the company releases something official about the issues, but if what @kaosgolfer was told is true, that is pretty bad.

i guess we should wait to see if the company releases something official about the issues, but if what @kaosgolfer was told is true, that is pretty bad.

Based on the dynamic that I at least think I understand, the company over here is not much of a company. Its a US distributor of a product that is made, owned and marketed overseas. While there may be influence, at the end of the day, my assumption is that it has to come from manufacturer of device.

Is the best deal on the SC200 from Budget Golf for $255 with the THP discount?

The SC300 seems so inaccurate with launch angle and peak height that it's not worth double the money for extra data that's wildly inaccurate. The SC200 would be useful for distance if nothing else. I was at the club today, and the two simulators were booked so I hit balls off the three other indoor bays that don't have a simulator. I'd like to have the SC200 just for those rainy or winter days when I'm hitting indoors, and can't get on one of the simulators.

It's made in South Korea. Fortunately, I'm getting the SC300 at wholesale since I work on a golf course and have connections. That makes getting it over the sc200 an easy decision for me, especially since it might get a firmware update in the future and also since the sc300 is more accurate with pitches.

I called the Company today and let them know about my test. The Tech guy asked me to retest with the SC200 on the opposite side of the SC300 and he also said the SC300 radar was not in the center but in the upper left corner when facing the SC300. He did indicate that they were working on a firmware update to fix smash factor. I suspect that this will entail correcting the swing speed reading which will lower the smash to where it should be. He said he was not aware of the high launch angle reporting but he would pass that along to the firmware folks. He asked if the reported carry numbers matched up and when he heard the results (within 0-2 yards) he said that was what he would expect. So, there is a firmware fix coming in the near future. I asked if he had an estimate and he said not really. I asked if we were we were talking weeks or months and he said probably months. It sounded like they want to get it right. I am going to make the tweaks he suggested and I will report back later tonight on the updated tests.

Kaos

I did as they suggested and put the left edge where the radar is behind the ball. I tried the SC200 on the left side and also tried centered in front of the SC300. The swing speed numbers were about 1 Mph closer than yesterday and the ball speed difference was about 3-4 Mph on average with the SC300 being faster (a little better than yesterday). The SC200 showed the higher club speed. Interestingly though, the SC300 smash was a little lower than yesterday and the launch angle came down about 1* (give or take .5*) with the tweaked placement. I have the unit about 1/8 below the mat and I am going to try to raise it about that much as the tech indicated that either unit is very sensitive to height, distance placed and proximity to the target line.

I am on the fence. I would like to keep it and wait for the firmware update, but that will not come out until after the return period is over. I do think it would be more useful on the range if the launch angle, swing speed and smash are corrected. Also, it does seem more consistent with picking up shots. I have hit about 75 balls and it has only failed to register 1. The SC200 failed to register about 10-12.

Kaos

FYI, the sc300 does indeed record the spin rate. The spin rate is found in the app on your phone or ipod that Bluetooths with the sc300. This is another reason to purchase the sc300 over the sc200.

FYI, the sc300 does indeed record the spin rate. The spin rate is found in the app on your phone or ipad that Bluetooths with the sc300. This is another reason to purchase the sc300 over the sc200.

I was wondering if the metallic stickers that are placed on the balls for the flight scope mevo would help the sc300 be more accurate too. Any thoughts? Seems like both use doplar radar technology.

FYI, the sc300 does indeed record the spin rate. The spin rate is found in the app on your phone or ipod that Bluetooths with the sc300. This is another reason to purchase the sc300 over the sc200.

I don't believe it records spin rate, I think it projects it with an algorithm. That is why it lists a loft for clubs so that is used in the calculation. Someone correct me if I am wrong but as someone who currently owns an SC300 and will most likely be returning it shortly I don't think the SC300 is currently worth almost double the price of the SC200.

I don't believe it records spin rate, I think it projects it with an algorithm. That is why it lists a loft for clubs so that is used in the calculation. Someone correct me if I am wrong but as someone who currently owns an SC300 and will most likely be returning it shortly I don't think the SC300 is currently worth almost double the price of the SC200.

The radar sees something. Ball speed, swing spped , launch angle, etc. Does the metallic sticker help it read those measurements better and make everything more accurate? Yes, there are algorithms that are used because the ball is only tracked for a short distance. The mevo may calculate spin rate in a similar fashion as the sc300. Do you know for sure? Yet, the mevo recommends the metallic stickers. Just saying.

According to what I've seen, it shows spon rate on the app but not the machine itself. Whether it reads it or calculates it, I dunno.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The radar sees something. Ball speed, swing spped , launch angle, etc. Does the metallic sticker help it read those measurements better and make everything more accurate? Yes, there are algorithms that are used because the ball is only tracked for a short distance. The mevo may calculate spin rate in a similar fashion as the sc300. Do you know for sure? Yet, the mevo recommends the metallic stickers. Just saying.

I honestly don't have any idea how it is calculated. I also don't know that the dots would help with SC300 or not, I am not an engineer or have the slightest bit of technical insight. But in my experience if you are using certain data points to calculate other data output but the data collected isn't accurate.... well my guess is that none of that data is going to be all that usable.

That is why I personally would not recommend people spend $200-300 more for a device that is not really providing anything more than the other. It is possible that they update the units in the future so that the data (in this case swing speed, launch angle) will be improved so the potential of the SC300 being quite a bit better than SC200 is there, but so far it doesn't seem like it is providing any usable information that the SC200 is. Again personally I would not spend that much more money on potential.

Yes the spin rate is calculated. According the the tech person I spoke to there is a problem in the spin calculation and he said it was being disabled in the app. He indicated they were working on additional changes to the spin and he was guessing it would be reactivated by the time the Android app is released in June.

Kaos

Once again, we learn the value of THP. I have the SC200 and was pretty excited about the additional data points offered by the SC300. After following this thread, I am sticking happily with what I have.

Once again, we learn the value of THP. I have the SC200 and was pretty excited about the additional data points offered by the SC300. After following this thread, I am sticking happily with what I have.

My latestest and newest SC300 is on order now since I don't own an earlier version. I'm looking forward to saving the data with the app to see how my practices progress. I like the larger screen which is easier on my eyes. And I like that it is more accurate with wedges. Since I'm getting it wholesale, it's definitely a no brainer for me. The firmware updates will likely make it even better than the older version.

Agreed. I was planning on purchasing the SC300 if the others who purchased and tested it for us had mostly positive things to say. Now I'll wait to see if the firmware updates justify the price.

Hopefully they fix the problems, I have the sc200 and the sc300 and I am more than happy with the sc300. I use it as a tool to dial in my distances and it does that job better than the sc200. It picks up every club where as the sc200 would not pick up my pw,sw or lw.

The screen is much better and the potential is there for it to be improved with firmware updates.

Is at worth the extra cash only you can make the choice, for me it is worth it.

I just sent a summary to the Company summarizing my test and and also referred them to this thread. I am hoping we can "encourage them" to do the firmware upgrade sooner than what I was told. I am sure that it would help if others would send their individual testing results and experience to the Company through email as well. Maybe if we sing with a loud enough voice and they see that it is costing them sales and returns, they will get off the stick and put the firmware upgrade on the fast track. I asked them for a response in writing. Gosh...I really would like to keep it, but I am just not sure how responsive they will be to customer complaints and the reported inaccuracies. We will see.

Kaos

Update... Seems the unit is not as bad as I first reported. While it is still a little off on the swing speed, the ball speed is actually much closer than I originally tested. Under previous tests I set the unit up opening the mounting leg to max. I had an idea today and thought maybe if I change the tilt of the unit the readings will be more accurate. I was testing with 6-iron. By adjusting the mounting leg so that the unit was tilted more forward (as far forward as I could get it without the leg collapsing), I found that the ball speed was much closer to the SC200. The average ball speed tightened up to about 1.5 Mph on average higher than the SC200. Interestingly enough, the launch angle came down to around 15-16* (within my known launch launch angle of 14-17*). I intentionally thinned a couple of shots and the launch showed 11-12* (which was a little high for the thinned shots, but much closer to reality). The swing speed was a little closer being lower than the SC200 by 1-4 Mph (which was much tighter than previous tests). The smash factor was also a little closer to reality being around 1.40 (give or take).

Now that I know you have to adjust the tilt, my initial impression is not as bad as I previous stated. I am more comfortable that the numbers (accept the swing speed) are somewhat useful. I also know based on the smash factor about how much the swing speed should be off. For example, if the smash reported in the mid 130s, the swing speed differed from the SC200 generally by 1-2 Mph. If the smash was in the mid 140s, the swing speed was 3-4 Mph slower than the SC200.

I still would like them to issue a firm ware update sooner rather than later (correcting the smash factor), but I am starting to get more comfortable that the numbers are fairly close to reality. I tend to trust the ball speed and I think the launch is close, like maybe a 1-3* off, not 5-7 * off like I initially thought. I also think they can tweak the LA number a little as well, but it is close enough to be useful especially if you know your LA.

Kaos

Thanks. I'm a bit confused on what you mean about the kickstand though. I only have the sc200 but that stand has a stop once it's fully opened. I always opened it fully to get best accuracy. Does the stand on the sc300 not open to a full stopped position or did you only open it partially for better readings?

Thanks. I'm a bit confused on what you mean about the kickstand though. I only have the sc200 but that stand has a stop once it's fully opened. I always opened it fully to get best accuracy. Does the stand on the sc300 not open to a full stopped position or did the techs you contacted suggest you lying open it partially for better readings?

The SC200 has two stop positions (or at least mine does). You use the max stop to hit wedges for best accuracy. The SC300 does not have any stops in the leg (other than max). So, initially I thought that you just open it to max. But, when I opened it to much less than max so the unit was tilted more forward, similar to the first stop of the SC200, the numbers were much closer and the LA came down to reality. I suspect that the max stop on the SC300 should be used when hitting wedges and when hitting mid to long irons and driver it needs to be tilted more forward.

Kaos

Last edited:
Awesome thank you and I might've just learned something about using sc200 better too.

Hi All, I've been looking at the SC300 too but was a little disappointed they've taken the spin rate off the app. I think I will still buy one though, It retails in the UK for about £460. I have a question and hope someone here can help. I have recently bought the Superspeed sticks and want to be sure the SC300 can pick up my swing speed when using the sticks/
Anyone help?

Hi All, I've been looking at the SC300 too but was a little disappointed they've taken the spin rate off the app. I think I will still buy one though, It retails in the UK for about £460. I have a question and hope someone here can help. I have recently bought the Superspeed sticks and want to be sure the SC300 can pick up my swing speed when using the sticks/
Anyone help?

Pretty sure they indicate in this thread that it won't, as the swing caddies are measuring the speed of a launched ball.
SuperSpeed Golf Review

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Back