Vokey SM8s Wedges - Horrible Tin Metal Sound

heribertomaya

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys, I just recently received my 2 custom vokey wedges from wedgeworks and was so excited to play them (as I played several vokey wedges in the past and loved them).

My 2 SM8s are in the Brushed Steel Finish (just in case it makes a difference and I got the 60 in L (4 bounce) and 56 in M (8 bounce).

Situation: Both my wedges sound like a very cheap Tin Metal sound at impact (it's almost disgusting to my ears, given im used to the feel/sound of my Mizuno MP-20 Blades). This happens no matter if its a totally flushed shot or not, same cheap metal tin sound. I am coming from the Cleveland RTX4 and these feel great and sound great at impact, no problem there.

Things I have done/thought about:

1. I brought 2 friends to hear me hitting them to see if they could hear anything funky with them. Almost instantly they both agreed its a very weird sound, like a Tin metal sound at impact. They also think its very odd, especially for a Vokey.
  2. I also thought about the finish, since I only have these 2 in the brushed metal finish, I have no way to compare to the chrome or black finish to see if it makes any difference.
  3. I also thought it could be the grind/bounce but dismissed as my 2 wedges have 2 different grinds/bounce
  4. I also searched the whole internet and youtube reviews for anyone else complaining about SM8s sound and couldn't find anything on it

That being said, I would like to know if anyone here has tried the SM8 Wedges outside and have experienced the same Tin Metal sound at impact. Needless to say, im devastated with this much anticipated purchase, which I cant return now since they are custom stamped and all of that. Appreciate your input.

I game them, they sound no different than my SM7’s did or my WedgeWorks Custom V-Grinds did.

what ball do you play? maybe try a softer ball like chrome soft and see if that helps. I know when I first got my md4 wedges and took them to the range, I was chipping with range balls and the wedges sounded absolutely awful. with a softer premium ball, they sounded better but still not my favorite. point being I do think a soft ball can help.

Go back to the RTX4. It's a better wedge. ;)

Throwing in Ben Hogan Equalizers as a solid (and cheaper option) for solid sound & feel.
If I dont get used to them in a month, i will probably take it as a loss and just opt for something like that. My options would be based on the chances they will sound great as my Mizuno Blades, so Mizuno, Ben Hogan, or Callaway would be good options (or Miura but im a lefty and not sure how easy they are to get)

Keep in mind, Cleveland dropped the price on the RTX4 to $109 or so from $139.

Keep in mind, Cleveland dropped the price on the RTX4 to $109 or so from $139.
i wouldnt have to buy the RTX4 in that case, mine are fairly new (6 months old, have 56 and 60 and love them) but got trapped by the SM8 marketing and pre-ordered them : ( Might go back to RTX4 if i dont get used to the poor sound of SM8s

I’m still sort of shocked by this. I’ve read a lot of feedback on the SM8, and hit them a lot, and they’re really no different sound/feel wise than the SM7. So strange.

i wouldnt have to buy the RTX4 in that case, mine are fairly new (6 months old, have 56 and 60 and love them) but got trapped by the SM8 marketing and pre-ordered them : ( Might go back to RTX4 if i dont get used to the poor sound of SM8s
Mine are firmly in the bag. I actually have 52, 56 and 60. The 60 gets dropped when I feel I need both a 7 wood and a 4H for a given course and conditions. I actually found the 52 at a small golf shop near me. It had been used for a week and traded in. Paid $54 (y)

Just put a SM8 58.10 into play today and I heard nothing unusual, just the normal sounds. I think I am going to really like this wedge.

Hey guys, I just recently received my 2 custom vokey wedges from wedgeworks and was so excited to play them (as I played several vokey wedges in the past and loved them).

My 2 SM8s are in the Brushed Steel Finish (just in case it makes a difference and I got the 60 in L (4 bounce) and 56 in M (8 bounce).

Situation: Both my wedges sound like a very cheap Tin Metal sound at impact (it's almost disgusting to my ears, given im used to the feel/sound of my Mizuno MP-20 Blades). This happens no matter if its a totally flushed shot or not, same cheap metal tin sound. I am coming from the Cleveland RTX4 and these feel great and sound great at impact, no problem there.

1. I brought 2 friends to hear me hitting them to see if they could hear anything funky with them. Almost instantly they both agreed its a very weird sound, like a Tin metal sound at impact. They also think its very odd, especially for a Vokey.
  2. I also thought about the finish, since I only have these 2 in the brushed metal finish, I have no way to compare to the chrome or black finish to see if it makes any difference.
  3. I also thought it could be the grind/bounce but dismissed as my 2 wedges have 2 different grinds/bounce
  4. I also searched the whole internet and youtube reviews for anyone else complaining about SM8s sound and couldn't find anything on it

That being said, I would like to know if anyone here has tried the SM8 Wedges outside and have experienced the same Tin Metal sound at impact. Needless to say, im devastated with this much anticipated purchase, which I cant return now since they are custom stamped and all of that. Appreciate your input.
I can't imagine it changing anything, but could all the stamping have any effect on the wedges at all?

what ball do you play? maybe try a softer ball like chrome soft and see if that helps. I know when I first got my md4 wedges and took them to the range, I was chipping with range balls and the wedges sounded absolutely awful. with a softer premium ball, they sounded better but still not my favorite. point being I do think a soft ball can help.
It's off topic for this thread but I'm amazed at how much better the MD5 wedges feel than the MD4, despite looking almost identical.

I can't imagine it changing anything, but could all the stamping have any effect on the wedges at all?
Nah, won’t effect anything.

The only thing I can think of would be are you sure they're legitimate Vokeys? There's a chance they're not if they don't sound right... contact wedgeworks and or Titleist...

The only thing I can think of would be are you sure they're legitimate Vokeys? There's a chance they're not if they don't sound right... contact wedgeworks and or Titleist...
as stated in my post, that would be insane if fake, ordered directly from Vokey Wedgeworks.

as stated in my post, that would be insane if fake, ordered directly from Vokey Wedgeworks.
Ok, my apologies, I didn't recognize Wedgeworks as Vokey. Stranger things have happened though... regardless, you're not happy with the wedges and their performance. They'd be the ones to either allay your concerns or try to make it right.

Ha e you contacted Vokey about the problem? I searched high and low and could find anyone else saying they sound tinny, could be a materials batch problem. Would definitely see what TItleist has to say about it.

Ha e you contacted Vokey about the problem? I searched high and low and could find anyone else saying they sound tinny, could be a materials batch problem. Would definitely see what TItleist has to say about it.
i posted it in the team Titleist facebook group and a rep told me to record a video of the wedge sound, which I will do this tuesday : ) and go from there

I am surprised you feel like they are tin metal. I haven’t hit them but played the SM4s and 6s and they were awesome. The 5s didn’t appeal to me visually.

Had you hit them prior to ordering them?

This is kind of bizarre. Can YouTube a few shots and post here for craps and grins. And both wedges sound the same? I don’t remember reading are these your first vokey wedges ever?

This is kind of bizarre. Can YouTube a few shots and post here for craps and grins. And both wedges sound the same? I don’t remember reading are these your first vokey wedges ever?
I have owned several Vokey versions throughout the years. But the good news is that today they seem to sound better, i dont know why. Will keep hitting to see if the "sound" gets better over time, it seems is doing that.

I have owned several Vokey versions throughout the years. But the good news is that today they seem to sound better, i dont know why. Will keep hitting to see if the "sound" gets better over time, it seems is doing that.
I’ll admit, this blows my mind.

It's not something I've ever heard of but I hope they improve for you or Titleist works with you for a fix!

Back