Warm Up Routine Before Round

I've always done the opposite. I just hit some wedges until I find my tempo and the bottom of the swing and always end with my driver.

I’ve actually started hitting a few short pitch shots with my 54 at the end as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lately I’ve been recalling all those quotes from DJ when he talked about how he just works on wedges when on the range and hits very few shots with every other club. Trying to implement that more often in my own practice and warm-ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always start warm up with 50 degree wedge and hit 15-20 shots to get tempo and shoulders warmed up, then move up to 7 followed by 5 and then typically few 3/4 woods off deck ending with driver. If I have any balls left over and the time, I'll finish off the bucket hitting 1/2 wedge shots. No way I could start with driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do a little stretching, then putt & chip.
Go to the range with my PW, 8, 5 irons, Hybrid, FW Wood, Driver (in that order). ALWAYS finish with whatever club I'll hit 1st on the 1st hole.
Putt a little bit more.
Always doing some stretching while I'm waiting between shots, on the tee box, etc.

Everyone keeps talking about the Orange Whip. What does it do for you?

With an arthritic left shoulder (that I separated twice in my younger sports days), to balky C-2/3 and L-3/4 discs, the OW helps me loosen up slowly, but effectively.

Swinging it like a club not only loosens up my back and two prosthetic hips, it also reminds me to slow down my backswing tempo, pause at the top, then follow through smoothly - as I rotate my hips. It definitely helps me.

Straight to the chipping area. Just make some solid contact and half swings to loosen up.
Head to the range and stretch for about 5 minutes
Start with PW and hit a couple follow by 7-5-3h-4w-driver.
Putt for 5-10 minutes

Walk to the first tee and use a breakfast ball since my swing on Hole 1 is nothing like the range haha

On the rare occasion I hit balls (THP events, a few local tournaments), I typically start with 54 degree wedge and finish with driver. Normally just stretch for a couple of minutes on the 1st tee and go.

On the rare occasion I hit balls (THP events, a few local tournaments), I typically start with 54 degree wedge and finish with driver. Normally just stretch for a couple of minutes on the 1st tee and go.

So, normally, you go straight from car to tee box?

Man, I wish I could do that. My game is **** for first 6 holes if I don’t get a range session in beforehand.

Depends what time of day my round is. I always prefer to hit a couple shots on the range, but if it's a afternoon round I can go straight to the tee. If it's first thing in the morning I need a good 30+ minutes to stretch and loosen the back/hips.

5 half swings with a wedge, 5 full swings with a mid iron, 5 swings with a long iron & a couple of drivers. I'll change clubs from day to day depending on what I shot the day before.

I remember hearing Tom Watson recommend starting with the longest club the player reasonably feels he/she could hit well, even if off the tee.

His theory was that the longer clubs encourage a more fluid swing, better for sequence and timing throughout the set.

Whereas a short club such as a wedge will encourage a faster, more aggressive swing early, thus negatively affecting sequence and timing.

Sure made sense to me.

(When I actually hit the range) I'll usually start with hybrid.

I'll give this a go when the range reopens after renovations. Now, after not enough stretching, I use a swing sock on my longest iron in the bag (5 right now) and swing it right and left handed for a few minutes then move to the club I'm going to hit on 1.

I also have a couple of questions for all of you that use the Orange Whip. Is the flexible shaft and additional weight that much of an improvement over a weighted club? I've also seen folks mention the SKLZ trainer but others say it it isn't counter-weighted and, therefore, isn't as good as the OW. What is the advantage of the counter-weight in the OW? Thanks. And I apologize if this isn't the appropriate place to ask those questions.

My warmup.

Get out of car. Pay. Go hit tee shot. Play round.

^^^ This...unless you consider the 5-6 swings I make on the tee box before the first shot of the day. Perhaps the left-and-right arm turns I do (driving) help to loosen me up too...coupled with the right foot/ankle pushes and pulls (gas pedal) I do. If I arrive super early and the course has a FREE range, I'll take a couple swings and maybe a couple putts, otherwise, get to the first tee and let it fly.

Back