Wedge Gapping - What to do? What are yours?

dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
So looking at my ShotScope V2 distances and what I've been noticing on the course, I've got a small, but very noticeable gapping issue between 2 of my wedges. The gaps are about 10 yards from my 58 to my 54 to my 50, but then my 50- PW Gap is about 18 yards. And then my gaps are pretty steady from there.

On the course the 130 Gap is tough for me (and I seem find myself at that distance a lot) because PW is to much and my 50* is too little. So I'm thinking I change the 50* to 49* or maybe 48*? What do you think?

Does anyone else have/had this issue? How are your wedge gaps setup?

ba7d3e57ae4f0b1adbce5c19cf22c12e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

So looking at my ShotScope V2 distances and what I've been noticing on the course, I've got a small, but very noticeable gapping issue between 2 of my wedges. The gaps are about 10 yards from my 58 to my 54 to my 50, but then my 50- PW Gap is about 18 yards. And then my gaps are pretty steady from there.

On the course the 130 Gap is tough for me (and I seem find myself at that distance a lot) because PW is to much and my 50* is too little. So I'm thinking I change the 50* to 49* or maybe 48*? What do you think?

Ive battled that type of gapping issue for a long time.

Call me ahead cause but I had success filling that gap a few times using the set AW (when applicable) over my Cleveland wedges.

Tried it with the I200 AW as well, but I was a mess cause I dont have it lengthened yet.

Looks like you could ditch your 8 iron and add a wedge??? but seriously though maybe bending your 8, 9, & PW to get better gapping from the 7 iron down would help. Get that 8 iron down to 155 or so the 9 down to 142ish and the PW down to 130ish. I think the closeness of those clubs is causing the gap.

Ive battled that type of gapping issue for a long time.

Call me ahead cause but I had success filling that gap a few times using the set AW (when applicable) over my Cleveland wedges.

Tried it with the I200 AW as well, but I was a mess cause I dont have it lengthened yet.
Yeah I've gotta get it figured out. That 130 yardage is key for scoring for me. I'll have to look to see if Titleist offers the set AW in the AP2. Certainly an option.

Can you bend your wedge instead of replacing it? One or two degrees should not have a huge affect on the bounce. Bend it one degree and try it, see if it gets you where you want.

Can you bend your wedge instead of replacing it? One or two degrees should not have a huge affect on the bounce. Bend it one degree and try it, see if it gets you where you want.
Yeah that's what I'd do. Just been it a degree or 2.

Looks like you could ditch your 8 iron and add a wedge???
That's interesting. I've never thought about that. But with the gapping.... Might be a plausible option as well.

That's interesting. I've never thought about that. But with the gapping.... Might be a plausible option as well.

The only problem is given how close it is to your 7 iron, I bet you hit it really well and have a high comfort level with it. I would never replace or mess with a club I always feel like I can go to. For me my 6 iron is always there in my bag. I can always count on it to launch and go strait where I aimed it. So I would never get rid of that club or mess with the loft. It's like the mac and cheese of my golf game, it always makes me feel comfortable.

The only problem is given how close it is to your 7 iron, I bet you hit it really well and have a high comfort level with it. I would never replace or mess with a club I always feel like I can go to. For me my 6 iron is always there in my bag. I can always count on it to launch and go strait where I aimed it. So I would never get rid of that club or mess with the loft. It's like the mac and cheese of my golf game, it always makes me feel comfortable.
It'd be interesting to play some rounds and keep the 8 iron out of the bag and see how it goes in that area.

PW - 130
50* - 115
SW - 95
60* - 75

Rarely do I swing the SW and 60* full. Most of my gaps through my set are 15yds give or take. Inside of 115 it starts to become more feel than gapping for me.

Yeah I've gotta get it figured out. That 130 yardage is key for scoring for me. I'll have to look to see if Titleist offers the set AW in the AP2. Certainly an option.

I have the 718 AP2 and play the set 50 degree.

Not sure about prior years.

And for me at least--it gaps very well with my PW-54

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Had the same issue with my iron set and wedges 3.5 years ago. Had the 50 degree (Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB) bent to 48 degrees and that solved the problem.

My vote would be to leave the wedges be and learn a 3/4 shot with the P to cover that gap. In theory it should be a more accurate shot since it's more controlled as opposed to a full swing. But if you only use your 50 for full swings bending is certainly an option. Just beware the decreased bounce.

I would also look a little more closely at 7i and try to figure out how to get it gapped more toward the 6.

My vote would be to leave the wedges be and learn a 3/4 shot with the P to cover that gap. In theory it should be a more accurate shot since it's more controlled as opposed to a full swing. But if you only use your 50 for full swings bending is certainly an option. Just beware the decreased bounce.

I would also look a little more closely at 7i and try to figure out how to get it gapped more toward the 6.
I think the 6/7/8 iron gap is more due to me missing out on marking positional shots (not full swings) than anything. I feel fairly comfortable there. I think bending it will probably be the best option right now. The less bounce the better in my book.

Personally don’t see any problems with the gapping you have as it’s about close to the rest of your scoring irons (8,9,PW). Unless you’re spinning the hell out of your PW approach shots, having the gap helps you cover more shots that stepping on the GW and creating more spin can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally don’t see any problems with the gapping you have as it’s about close to the rest of your scoring irons (8,9,PW). Unless you’re spinning the hell out of your PW approach shots, having the gap helps you cover more shots that stepping on the GW and creating more spin can.

I am just missing that 130-135 gap. When I lay off my PW, bad things seem to happen. Yesterday we're two almost shanks. Choking down doesn't seem to change my distance much with my PW. It's a fine line. And I score with my wedges... Which is why the 130 spot is so important.

I am just missing that 130-135 gap. When I lay off my PW, bad things seem to happen. Yesterday we're two almost shanks. Choking down doesn't seem to change my distance much with my PW. It's a fine line. And I score with my wedges... Which is why the 130 spot is so important.

What is your PW? Unless you add another wedge there’s no way to tweak your current 50* enough to stretch the yardage to 135 from 122

What is your PW? Unless you add another wedge there’s no way to tweak your current 50* enough to stretch the yardage to 135 from 122

46. I was thinking 1-2* should get it to the 130 mark.

Iirc you have a 7* gap from your pw to your 50. You will probably need to look at adding a 48* and maybe bending it strong and then changing out your others tweets to fit gaps or after 48* don't full swing the others and use different swing lengths and tempo control to cover distances

46. I was thinking 1-2* should get it to the 130 mark.

But if you do that, won’t the gap between PW and 9I become more than the current one your trying to fix. Maybe switching from a set PW to a smaller footprint wedge might help. Or like 441 said, maybe a set AW or CBX type wedge can keep loft but increase the carry

But if you do that, won’t the gap between PW and 9I become more than the current one your trying to fix. Maybe switching from a set PW to a smaller footprint wedge might help. Or like 441 said, maybe a set AW or CBX type wedge can keep loft but increase the carry

No I meant changing the GW 50* to 49 or 48.

I have 4º of separation in my clubs and it works well for me. I have no gapping issues.

My wedges are 50-54-58. I seem to recall my local pro bends my wedges 1* strong, and then took the rest of my irons (including PW) and bent them 1* weak, which pretty well takes care of that PW to 50 gap.

~Rock

I think keeping in mind these averages I have shown aren't perfect. I'd say my SW is more in the 115 full swing range. GW is 125. LW is 100. PW is 140.

I guess my main thought is that it's more important to have a better gapping with distances in the wedges than the 4-8 Irons because I am usually hitting those wedges to get close for birdie or at least in position for an easy 2 putt par.

I had a gap similar to what you have and picked up a 48 Cbx. Best decision I have made.

Back