I don’t focus on loft increments. I’d prefer to set my gaps based on how I actually utilize and play on the course. For example, my 54 has the broadest range of utilization in my bag, if it’s from 115 to about 60, I’m reaching for it.

When I carried wedges with 4 degree gaps, I used to see a difference of about 10 yards between the wedges. The 60 went about 70 yards, 56 went about 80 and the 52 went 90.
I now carry just a 52 and 56 and dont really miss the 60. I can make my 56 play like a 60 if I open the face or play the ball forward in my stance and take a half or 3/4 swing.
For a while, I didnt even carry a 52 and just had a 56 but when you have a 40 degree gap between your PW and your 56, thats a difficult thing to work with sometimes. Even if you have an iron set with an AW that is 46 or 48 degrees, going from your set gap wedge to a 56 is still a pretty big gap.
Im now to the point where I dont really select wedges based upon yardages so much as I do in how I use them. Why carry a 52 degree if you never find yourself 90 or 100 yards from the green? Thats exactly why I dropped the 60 degree. I found that it always enticed me to hit shots that I shouldnt be trying. Taking out the lob wedge takes the flop shot out of play and for me, even when I practiced it all the time, the flop shot was still a high-risk shot. Some times I could pull it off and at least get the ball on the green but there were also many times where I would duff it or skill the ball 30 yards over the green.

PW 45
GW 50
SW 56.
Works for me.

Back