Wedge Set Under $100?

Pr3cision

Reaction score
I have a friend of mine who's asking my opinion on something that I would rather refer to you all to answer. He is brand new to golf (30 handicap?) and is looking for a wedge set to complete his bag. Preferably a Pitching Wedge, Sand Wedge and a Lob Wedge and something hopefully around $100 or so +/-. Probably would have to go with something fairly used I would assume but looking for something that is easy to play. Thanks in advance!

I would look on eBay for some older CG15 or CG16 maybe RTX-3

Tell him to forget the 60 degree for now and go for the PW and SW. His set may already have a PW. If so, then put the $ towards a good SW like a Cleveland RTX3 or 4.

Tell him to forget the 60 degree for now and go for the PW and SW. His set may already have a PW. If so, then put the $ towards a good SW like a Cleveland RTX3 or 4.

He had a PW but this guy left it on a hole somewhere and "couldn't find it." 🤣 🤦‍♂️

ebay. should be able to find a decent set of old Vokeys or Clevelands in that price range.

ebay. should be able to find a decent set of old Vokeys or Clevelands in that price range.

Are Vokey's any good for a high handicapper?

Are Vokey's any good for a high handicapper?

I mean, there are wedges that are more forgiving like some old pings. But looking for a decent old set, there are a bunch of Vokeys on ebay that fit in that price range.

Taylor Made ATV series wedges have generous sole and bounce for high handicappers and one could find a cheap set pretty easily.

There's a GW,SW,LW set on eBay currently for $100 obo.

I’d check eBay for sure. Or sets come up here from time to time.

Go to Callaway preowned. MD3s. Cleveland RTX4s. I agree with the advice about skipping the 60*. You can get 2 of the items I listed for about a hundred bucks.

Go to Callaway preowned. MD3s. Cleveland RTX4s. I agree with the advice about skipping the 60*. You can get 2 of the items I listed for about a hundred bucks.

I just realized they have 35% off wedges at the moment.

A beginner, 30 capper, doesn't need a LW. Save that coin out lay for now. Maybe buy a 7W instead.

A PW, and SW is all a beginner needs to start out with. Once they can hit those two clubs efficiently, then add a third wedge. Then maybe a fourth.

I don't have a preference of one wedge brand over another. I will say that I have been using Tour Edge Iron sets since I can't remember how long ago. The PW & SW came with all those sets, I filled in the other two matching AW, & LW later on. TE products have always work well for me , as far as quality, and playability. I suspect any major brand of wedges would play just as well for me. TE equipment tends to save one a few dollars.

Something else I have learned over the years, is that with a little manipulation of the club face, opening/closing the face at address, I could probably do away with the AW, LW, and not miss them very much. Then again, those extra wedges do look pretty cool in my bag.....lol

Can find brand new or like new Clevelands or Mizunos on eBay for super cheap. I just saw some of the older Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB for like $20-25 each. They’d be perfect for a beginner since they are cavity back. I’d tell him to search eBay for:

Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB
Cleveland RTX 3.0 (Blade and CB)
Mizuno S18
PING Glide (first version, not 2.0)
TaylorMade Milled Grind

All four will vary in price, but are affordable, quality wedges and are all forgiving. More that are affordable to check out but are a little more of the classic style wedge (which may not be best for a beginner, up to him) include Mizuno T7 and Cleveland CG15.

Can find brand new or like new Clevelands or Mizunos on eBay for super cheap. I just saw some of the older Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB for like $20-25 each. They’d be perfect for a beginner since they are cavity back. I’d tell him to search eBay for:

Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB
Cleveland RTX 3.0 (Blade and CB)
Mizuno S18
PING Glide (first version, not 2.0)
TaylorMade Milled Grind

All four will vary in price, but are affordable, quality wedges and are all forgiving. More that are affordable to check out but are a little more of the classic style wedge (which may not be best for a beginner, up to him) include Mizuno T7 and Cleveland CG15.

^^^ This. Took me all of 10 seconds to find about 5 different sets of CB RTX 2s or 3s that would fit the bill perfectly. High bounce, forgiving, good sole for a beginner.

edit: I had an 'I might even have...' moment and went digging. I had 56/14, and 60/12 RTX 2.0 CB's that are barely used just laying in a pile, because they go for next to nothing. That's the route I'd go.

Last edited:
I would probably look for something like a 45, 50, 56 setup. As others have said, tons of used wedges on Ebay. Also, may want to check websites that deal in used clubs such as Global Golf, 2nd Swing Golf and Dallas Golf.

I picked up my older Vokeys off ebay for cheap. When I started I only had a pw & sw in my bag & didn't add another wedge for a long time, so I agree & forget the 60 for awhile. In fact I need change out these Vokeys for newer wedges that have more bounce.

He’s brand new to golf so probably isn’t going to be generating loads of spin, but nevertheless, I’d never buy a used wedge and nor would I ever recommend anyone else does.

No love for the Cleveland Smart Sole 4's? I know you said $100 but these are supposedly some super forgiving wedges... and no changes needed for his swing should he use them. I'd get a set of those or a set of Cleveland CBX 2's... also supposed to be some really forgiving wedges. Plus if he gets these he's less likely to leave one behind. In theory.

I'm a high handicap player and want a set of either of those in my bag. I just haven't decided which yet.

I could probably pull together some older wedges and cut his budget in half. I think I have CG14s in garage. It might be a while before going to columbus.

He’s brand new to golf so probably isn’t going to be generating loads of spin, but nevertheless, I’d never buy a used wedge and nor would I ever recommend anyone else does.

Why? There are many used wedges out there that have much life left in them. I've seen some for sale that look as though they might have hit 1 or 2 balls.

Id go Wilson Harmonized or Pinemeadow. You could almost get a set of Tommy Armour VCGs for that money too but they would probably be closer to $150-$200 though.
Another option if you decide to go used are Maxfli Revolution wedges. They were great wedges in their day but its always buyer beware, especially on used wedges because the grooves are often worn out on them.

Why? There are many used wedges out there that have much life left in them. I've seen some for sale that look as though they might have hit 1 or 2 balls.

It doesn’t take long for a wedge to start losing its bite. When I went for a fitting, the recommendation they gave was change wedges twice a year if playing regularly. That’s probably a bit over the top, but it doesn’t take long for me to start tonotice a drop off in spin with my wedges, and I need all the help with spin I can get.

Twice per year? That's a lot!:oops:

Back