Wedge Shafts.....What say you?????

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all,

Fun site, happy to have joined.

Curious what you fine folks like to play in your wedges? I'm trying to find the perfect wedge shaft and there are so many great options to choose from.

I've actually tried quite a number of them and thought I'd add some quick thoughts here for discussion.

Curious which you guys prefer and why?

S300: Vanilla option here, but I guess it performs. I've gamed them in various wedges, but the lack of sexiness always has me looking around.

S400: Heavier and a bit meatier perhaps. Have played this fella too and I like it. It has a great "thumpy" kind of impact feel which I think I like. This is a contender for my bag this year.

KBS Tour: Been a while but I recall it being a nice smooth wedge shaft. Not much more to say about it, as I have not tried one in so long.

KBS C-Taper: recently gave these a go in wedges (I play them in my full set). Not really a huge fan of them in wedges me thinks.

KBS 610: I've gamed these and they are pretty good. I inadvertently ordered them the first go around in the X flex and that wasn't a good idea. Very stout wedge shaft in the X. I then ordered them in stiff and I like them, but not in love. The ball would take one big hop when landing on a green, but then stop dead. Kinda odd, but fairly predictable, which is always nice. Didn't lobe em, so moved on.

KBS Tour V Wedge: had one of these in my PM wedge. Hated the PM wedge, except for flops, but really loved the feel of the shaft. Not much more to say, as its been a while with this one, but I think this is also a contender for my bag this year.

PX 6.0: I actually really enjoy this shaft in wedges for some reason. The shaft balance seems to work well in wedges and I love the feedback on short pitches and chips. Another contender for my bag this year, but kinda leaning away from them.

Nippon 130 (the set shaft): Had these in my MG wedges and while they are insanely.....insanely soft/smooth through impact, I had ALOT of trouble feeling my shots. The ball came off like a marshmellow....which you think would be great, but not so much. Had distance control issues with them. Dumped em.

Nippon 125 (the set shaft, not the wedge specific shaft): Last year is my first try of these. I think they might be my go to this year. The have a nice balance and feel to them in the full set, but have not technically tried them in wedges yet. Curious to hear folks thoughts on these ones.......

So, some quick thoughts....my 2018 bag is between - S400, KBS Tour V wedge or Modus 125. Thoughts???? Any others worth adding to the mix?

Thank you!!!!
D

I play C Taper S+ (like you) in my irons and I've found a lot of success with the TT S400. It also helps that they come in a bad a$$ Onyx finish and pair absolutely stunningly with a black headed wedge.

I went KBS hi Rev 2.0 and 610. Both are great in feedback and like you stated, the 610 let's you be aggressive with the one stop hop and check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't be of any help on opinions of any that you have listed because this older guy is now graphite only. I will say that my wedge game, which has always been a strength of my game, has improved markedly since switching to Recoils in them.

UST Mamiya recoil wedge prototype

DG Spinners on 54 and 58. I rarely go 100% with those so they work but not really stable enough to really go after. S400 in GW and PW is set shafts(FST 125x)

Not sure there is really a right answer

I've gamed the Modus3 Wedge 105s and currently game the Modus3 Wedge 115s. The latter have worked out much better for me, and I'm a huge fan of them!

Only three I use are DG Spinner KBS hi Rev 2.0 and Aerotech i95. Haven't tried them all but those are my three top ones.

KBS Hi Rev is a nice option but eventually, having old man elbows, they started to take a toll.

Nippon Pro Modus Wedge 03 - for some reason, my elbows have no issues with Nippon Shafts. I play the 105 (about 110g) and like them.

Had no issues in earlier years with Aerotech Wedge 125 shafts. I remember liking them a lot.

I game the stock DG 115 in my CBX's. They are the perfect pairing for me.

UST Recoil 110F4 in my set PW and AW, I have Rotex graphite in RTX3's

DG Spinners on 54 and 58. I rarely go 100% with those so they work but not really stable enough to really go after. S400 in GW and PW is set shafts(FST 125x)

Not sure there is really a right answer

Yep, no correct answer.....just looking for opinions. I like reading up on others thoughts on these things.

I use the same shafts in my irons and wedges (DG R300). Only difference being that I took a bit more off the sand wedge shaft to account for the additional weight.

Based on your signature, we may have similar SS...and I like the S400s. They’re fantastic and give me good feel. However, I’ll be getting fitted with titleist soon and I’ll pass along my results from that!

Based on your signature, we may have similar SS...and I like the S400s. They’re fantastic and give me good feel. However, I’ll be getting fitted with titleist soon and I’ll pass along my results from that!

Awesome! I will be paying VERY close attention to the Titleist wedge fittings. Very interested in how grinds are chosen.

@Nate has me convinced UST Recoil Wedge Proto’s are the way to go with my next set.

Im a big fan of the standard DG wedge flex for almost all shots 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 swings. If I had a wedge that I used for full swings I would go x100 or ibon x-flex like my iron shafts.

NIPPON 125 slots in real nice with any set. I do prefer the 125 wedge though as it keeps the ball down just a little better (for me, I tend to get handsy)

Awesome! I will be paying VERY close attention to the Titleist wedge fittings. Very interested in how grinds are chosen.

I’m anxious to see as well. There’s SO many options available online that it’s hard to really know what’s best. But we’ll give lots of info as the process begins!

I have KBS Tour 110 R in my Grandaddy Wedges and I love them.
Like a little softer feel in my wedge shafts.

I’m anxious to see as well. There’s SO many options available online that it’s hard to really know what’s best. But we’ll give lots of info as the process begins!

Thank you!!!!

Really curious about how the right wedge shaft is determined. Guessing a big part is deciding what ball you want to play and the spin you are able to generate with a given setup. Of course weight, balance and feel being the other factors. I assume you will all be trying different wedge shafts and seeing launch data etc..

As for bounce and grind, guessing a big part is playing conditions and the whole digger, sweeper etc. stuff.

Back