Wedge Shoot Out is Official

RS asked which are better box grooves and U grooves and that really is up to the person.

Box grooces will produce more spin in most cases, but they do cause more damage to the golf ball.

U grooves still provide good amounts of spin, and do not damage the ball as much.

Alot has to do with what ball you play with different wedges.

so then really, there probably isnt any one wedge thats the best, correct? its just what is best for YOU (the buyer)?

Absolutely. The same can be said for every part of golf. Every club is different for every person. That is why with our reviews we get so many people to try the clubs and it is also why with these shoot outs we get a large amount to see if there are trends.

are the V grooves the ones that are being banned?

No, grooves will be going to V grooves.

name names!!!
hehe

Probably best not to burn bridges, just in case they consider changing their tune in the future.

Always take the high road!

No, grooves will be going to V grooves.

so then no more box grooves and no more U grooves? this is so confusing :beat-up:

We will not be naming names. Like I said we issued the exact same email to every company out there. We got responses from every single company we invited. Most were all for it. Some chose not to and that is all we can say. Do I find it odd when so many are involved, sure. But its up to them.

Lets be glad that for most consumers, the wedges they were thinking about are in this shoot out.

I do find it a little odd though that when it comes to equipment manufacturers, only ONE says no to everything. We work with just about every one of the major companies and yet one of them says no to everything and their excuse is "we do not like to see our equipment reviewed much outside of GD or Golf."

That is their choice.

Maybe it's just me, but that quote read to me - "We spend a lot in GD and Golf so know our clubs will always get great reviews." :D

One thing I want to add, is if you guys saw the requests we got you would be floored. Things like "You can review this stuff, but cannot publish it until we see it first". We get them from more than 3 of the companies and refuse to work with them on reviews.

I just don't get that. So say you review it using the usual large assortment of golfers and their clubs don't come out on or near the top. You send the company the review and of course they don't approve. Then would you have to leave them out of the review?

I was speaking in general terms when it comes to normal reviews and some of the companies. They want to see the review before it is published. We will not do that.

so then really, there probably isnt any one wedge thats the best, correct? its just what is best for YOU (the buyer)?

^^That is what I think. And more skilled players have more choice, IMO. I have a Mizzy MP-R that I like the feel of but it is easy to mis-hit. My Cleveland CG14 has more consistent results on mis-hits. Although the CG14 does not open as nice for some shots, I am better off with CG14.

I also do not really dig, I have a more sweepy swing.

Last edited:
really looking forward to this since my sw decided to grenade tonight. hopefully I can wait 10 days...

I am to, CCR, but luckily I didn't have a club issue, I just want a couple more wedges.

We got all 18 testers set and this one is shaping up to be a lot of fun. I have played most of these and really have my favorites. Looking forward to seeing what others think about htem.

Back