Wedges: Cavity Backs Or Blades

Johan185

SoCal, KiteSurfer, Golf Enthusiasts
Reaction score
Handicap
I like many others Struggle hitting Wedges 50 to 62 degrees.

While I full embrace the fact that the answer is to get Fitted by An Expert Professional Certified Club Fitter. Club Champion being one of the best.

I have been fitted several times for clubs. Full bag, Driver, Iron and even Wedges. I have found that the typical indoor fitting environment with artificial Mats, including some with a fluffy area to test your swing with Wedges from fluffier lies is great. It has shown how I hit a Wedge with a full swing and a partial swing perfectly from 50 to 64 degrees. On a launch monitor. Indoors. But unfortunately, I have not found the proper Wedges for my game. In real world conditions.

In my area we have kukolla, Bermuda, Crabgrass and every Weed or Cactus that typically grows in the South Western region of the United States. And basically the indoor mat simply don't present the kind of challenges I face on a daily basis.

I own Wedges from Callaway, KZG and Mizuno. With different Lofts and Grinds. I have also had the Opportunity to play with Titleist Volkey and Cleveland Wedges when I traveled and rented clubs. But unfortunately I have not had the Joy of finding the right Club for my game.

The Cavity Backs look great and should be excellent for full swing and partials swing. But difficult to open up sometimes. The Bladed Wedges have tons of different grinds and work great for experts in all conditions. But how do I find the right one, the perfect Wedge for me. Without buy more Wedges, I own seven, and playing them for several weeks. Trial and error. Until #57 Bingo Works.

From the Crabgrass and Kokulla I play in from around the Green to get out of Jail, when my Irons fail to find the desired target?:drinks::(

I strongly recommend looking at the Ping Glide 3.0. To me it’s not quite a blade and not quite a cavity back.

I’m more consistent with my blades wedges than my cavity irons. I went blade because i can’t chip/pitch with a cavity but i do well with them on full shots as well

Try the CBX2 @Jman had no problems opening up the higher lofted wedges ant the forgiveness of the cavity back is off the charts. I play the OG CBX wedges and was never confident with a wedge in my hands until I got them. It's going to take a hell of a lot better wedge to get these out of my bag.

I am very happy with my blade MD4 wedges vs the cavity backs they replaced. Around the green is where the different grinds come into play. I am not too familiar with your grasses or how you like to play your wedges. Without finding a green grass fitter your best bet would be research some grinds and buy used to see what works for you.

My game iron is graphite thru. You don't really find the wedges with graphite much. So my set of irons go from 5 to SW..Same make up. My SW I use 90% of time in grass. I have one of those huge sole LW like the old Alien. Yea it is funky and looks like a high handicap club...but I love it and hit flops and sand shots really well with it. My advise...If you love your irons..extend them to the GW and SW. Then have a wedge which is your go to in sand.

From Kikuya grass I prefer a higher bounce wedge. If the ball gets down in that junk, nothing will get it out magically.

I will always prefer a bladed wedge to a cavity back. I use my wedges as a specialty club and like the ability to manipulate the club at address. Partial swings and acceleration is the name of the game.

Back