Wedges - How many do you carry and why?

SouthernShred

'16 Grandaddy Champ - Team Unity
Reaction score
Handicap
The high handicap wedge thread made me curious...I played golf for close to 15 years with just a set PW, a 50* muscleback gap wedge and a 56* or 58* sand wedge. I felt I could make all the shots with these 3 clubs and had a very good short game during that period. I never felt like I needed one more wedge so that I had a wedge for 3 or 4 different full swing distances.

These days I run PW, 50-54-58 and know my full swing distances for each...but find myself using only 2 wedges most of the time and just controlling my distance.

What about you?

If you've been playing longer than say 10 years, how has your wedge setup changed over the years?
Do you hit more partial shots than full shots?
If you only run with 2 wedges outside of your PW, what is your 14th club that would be a wedge otherwise?

Over the years I’ve gotten smarter with my wedges. I use my highest lofted wedge (typically a 58*) exclusively out of green side bunkers.

I’ve used the set gap wedge for a while as the last full shot wedge I swing. Anything under that is a 3/4 swing at most it control the distances. Right now with my GW being 48*, I’m moving to a 52*, 56* wedge setup and freeing a spot at the top of my bag. I’m pretty sure I can play any shot with the 52/56 set up

Set PW and AW, then 54* and finally the Smart Sole S for sand shots.

I’ll take full swings with the set wedges but that’s it. That’s one of the main reasons I’m going to swap the 54* traditional wedge out with a CBX this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

right now i have 4 wedges: set pw, set gw, mb 54, mb 58.

i full swing all 4 wedges.

i use the 54 out of the sand, and for a few chips/pitches.

i use the 58 for almost every shot around the green.

I have played with PW, 50, 54 & 58 for probably the last 5 years. I only added the 50 when the Pitching wedges became stronger and needed a closer gap to my previous et up which was PW, 52,56 and 60. My current 50 is bent to 49 and my 54 to 53. I pretty well knew my yardages with my old irons but with new-to-me irons and shafts late in the year I need to experiment early in 2018 season to see if any further adjustments required.

I do hit a variety of shots with all my wedges depending on the lie, distance, wind, etc. In sand for instance, I will use any of the wedges depending on distance and lie. If I had to drop a wedge it would probably be the 58 and would replace with a 4 iron primarily for fairway into green or long par 3's.

right now i have 4 wedges: set pw, set gw, mb 54, mb 58.

i full swing all 4 wedges.

i use the 54 out of the sand, and for a few chips/pitches.

i use the 58 for almost every shot around the green.

Exact same except I primarily use the 58 instead of the 54 out of greenside bunkers. May very well be a product of my course having smaller greens.

4 wedges for me, set PW and AW then Cleveland 54 and 58*. 54 is my preference out of the sand. 58 I use for shortsided shots.

Set PW, 50, 55, 60

Only one I hit full swing anymore is the PW. I have learned over the years that swinging harder with a wedge really only makes the ball go higher and I have a higher change of pushing it right or digging too much. Control and accuracy is more important than distance when in comes to wedges.

"How many wedges should I Carry? The correct answer depends on how far your typically hit the ball. If you're a power player(i.E. you can hit your pitching wedge 130 yards or farther), you should carry four wedges: Consider a loft combination of 46, 50, 55, and 60 degrees. This will likely give you two wedge options for shots less than 100 yards with no more than a 20 yard gap between successive clubs. If you are a short hitter (shots hit with your pitching wedge carry 100 yards or less), you can get a way with just two wedges (a 48 degree pitching wedge and a 56 degree sand wedge, for example). If, like most recreational players, you fall somewhere in the middle, you should opt for a three-wedge setup, again paying mind to the golden rule. Consider a 48-degree pitching wedge, a 54 degree sand wedge, and a 60 degree lob wedge. "--James Sieckmann

I carry the same setup as you and tend to use 2 out of the four more than others. I feel comfortable with my 54 and my 50... especially after going to the CBX wedges.

The high handicap wedge thread made me curious...I played golf for close to 15 years with just a set PW, a 50* muscleback gap wedge and a 56* or 58* sand wedge. I felt I could make all the shots with these 3 clubs and had a very good short game during that period. I never felt like I needed one more wedge so that I had a wedge for 3 or 4 different full swing distances.

These days I run PW, 50-54-58 and know my full swing distances for each...but find myself using only 2 wedges most of the time and just controlling my distance.

What about you?

If you've been playing longer than say 10 years, how has your wedge setup changed over the years?
If you only run with 2 wedges outside of your PW, what is your 14th club that would be a wedge otherwise?

I go with 50/54/58 and it's been that way for the last few years. It seems like I hit more partial shots so I have a club I can hit from just off the green up to 115 yards or so to gap my Pitching wedge.

PW, 50, 55, 60 and I'll take full swings with all of them from time to time. The 60 probably less than the others. The lofts on my wedges tend to change with whatever irons I'm playing at the time, to keep the gapping where I want it. But I've played some sort of 4 wegde setup for as long as I can remember.

I now play a 45,50,54,58 CBX setup. They are all great for full swings and I use the 54 and 58 for different shots around the green. If I want a lower, long chip from like 40-50 out, I like the 45 or the 50.

Currently I play PW & 48* AP1 GW, 54 Vokey, and 58 Vokey.

45. 50, 54, 58.

I pretty much only use the 58 inside 40 yards but as far as other distances there is tons of overlap as I basically never hit a 100 wedge unless it needs to get over a tree. Much prefer to flight them a bit. Can't imagine using less than 4. I could easily see the 58 being a 60 depending on course conditions, bounce grind. My 58 isn't great from super tight lies flop type shots.

Going to try a 48/54/60 wedge set up. I will have a 3* gap from pw to 48 so I think it will help with full shots at a certain distance with the Cbx and be easier to hit a partial shot that was a full 50 with my blade wedge. I then went 54 sm6 because it’s my most used club around the green and I’m better with a more narrow sole and I have no issue in the past with partial shots with it. Then another 6* gap to my 60 Cbx. I like it out of the ruff and the sand a lot so it should help shave a stroke or two it’s the most confident I have been with a 60.

I used to only carry a set pw and a sw. As lofts have changed over the years so has my wedge set up. Now I carry the set pw and sw plus a 50* and 60*. That 50* plays the roll of gap and the 60* rarely sees a full swing.

What about you? I currently play 54* SW and then Cobra F7 GW and PW.

If you've been playing longer than say 10 years, how has your wedge setup changed over the years? Not quite 10 years but I started out with 60*, 56* and a PW. I added the GW several years ago because that was a real gap in my bag and I can't imagine not carrying a GW now.
Do you hit more partial shots than full shots? I will swing my GW and PW full. Rarely ever swing a full SW. I'll do partial shots with all 3 wedges depending on the lie and distance.
If you only run with 2 wedges outside of your PW, what is your 14th club that would be a wedge otherwise? I added a driving 2 iron when I dropped the LW.

45°, 50°, 54°, 58°
The 45 & 50 came with my iron set, and I bought the 54 & 58 to complete the set. I carry all of them, and I use all of them, both full and partial swings. Not sure I've ever used a full swing with the 58, though, other than at the driving range.

For years I used a PW-SW-LW setup, and it always worked just fine. I spent several years away form the game, and when I came back I was stunned to find all of these different wedges and "systems" that were everywhere. I was a little put off by it at first, but quickly grew to appreciate the more even loft spread. I thought I'd miss my old 60° LW when I got the new G30 set, but the 58° has been very good to me. Just like in the old set, it's probably my favorite club.

PW....52....56....60

I carry 3+pw because of the versatility around greens and inside 135-140yds. It's something like 70-75% of golf shots happen within 150yds. (Guess) if that's the case.....i like to have options to save strokes and play variously shots.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

I carry 3 wedges 50, 56, 60. I use 50 from 100-120, 56 from 90ish all the way to chipping are partial shots. 60 is used from the sand and inside 60 yards. Really it depends on what I am comfortable with and the lie

Grew up playing 3 including the PW. PW, 56, 60.

Changed it up recently and play PW, 52, 56.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Right now I have my set PW, 52*, 56* and 60*

I know my max distance with each wedge. The majority of my shots from inside 100 I use my 60*. I do a lot of chipping and bunker shots with 56*. My PW and 52* degrees gets used based on conditions, lie and how high I want to hit my approach shots

I carry 4. PW at 45 or 46 depending on the set, 50, 54, and 58. I full swing all of them. The greens I play aren’t very receptive so I don’t have to worry about ripping them back. There’s one course where I have to be mindful of spin, so learning the partial swing distances is still important. Wind is the only other reason I’ll avoid a full swing. I’m more consistent with my full swing wedges, so I just play to my strengths and work on the partials at the range.

What about you?

I've been using the 50-54-58 for awhile now, but the 50 is the only one I use for full shots and I'd say I hit far more partial shots with my wedges overall. Tadashi schooled me on why full swings with wedges are not typically a good idea and ever since then I try to avoid using the 54 and 58 for anything other than partial shots, sand shots, pitching and chipping.

Prior to this setup, I had the somewhat typical set PW, 52, 56 and 60. I could never play nice with the 60 and I've had much better success with the 58. To be honest, I'm not sure what I would carry as my 14th club if I ditched one of the wedges. I'd probably just roll with 13 to keep things simple since my set gapping is on point.

Back