Wedges with wide soles dont work for flop shots

Badger_Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
A while back, it was asked how a wedge with a wide sole would work for open-faced flop shots.
Weeeeeell, lemmie tell ya how they work. Not very well.
I recently won an Ebay auction for a Ping Tour Black Nickel 58* wedge. It has a much wider sole than my Mizuno MP-T 60* wedge does and after a little experimenting today I found it much, much easier to hit a flop shot with the Mizuno.
Granted, Im not flop shot expert (getting better at it though), but I found myself skulling the ball a lot more with the Ping.
Im sure the Ping would be great for standard shots because the sole would make it less likely to hit the ball fat, but for trick shots like the flop, not so good. :confused2:
Needless to say, the G5 and the Ping Tour wedges are back on Ebay and my Mizunos will be staying in the bag.

A while back, it was asked how a wedge with a wide sole would work for open-faced flop shots.
Weeeeeell, lemmie tell ya how they work. Not very well.
I recently won an Ebay auction for a Ping Tour Black Nickel 58* wedge. It has a much wider sole than my Mizuno MP-T 60* wedge does and after a little experimenting today I found it much, much easier to hit a flop shot with the Mizuno.
Granted, Im not flop shot expert (getting better at it though), but I found myself skulling the ball a lot more with the Ping.
Im sure the Ping would be great for standard shots because the sole would make it less likely to hit the ball fat, but for trick shots like the flop, not so good. :confused2:
Needless to say, the G5 and the Ping Tour wedges are back on Ebay and my Mizunos will be staying in the bag.

I think it's not so much the wide sole as much as the bounce. I had a low bounce PING Tour wedges, same loft, and it worked beautifully for flop shots.

But I'm glad you have a wedge you like anyways.

Maybe I just suck at flop shots...:confused2:

LOL...ummm....ahhh....hmmmm....

Haha. I'll take that as maybe.

But like I said I used to game 2 PING Tour wedges, and I personally loved them. They wore out and so I decided to branch out and try other things, plus they don't make them anymore

You could be right about the bounce though. I have no idea what the bounce on that Ping is, but it looks to have a lot of bounce to it, because the sole looks a lot like my 56* wedge, which has 13 for bounce so that it doesnt dig into the sand as much.
That Ping is a beautifull, well-crafted club, BTW. Ping definetly makes good stuff.

You could be right about the bounce though. I have no idea what the bounce on that Ping is, but it looks to have a lot of bounce to it, because the sole looks a lot like my 56* wedge, which has 13 for bounce so that it doesnt dig into the sand as much.
That Ping is a beautifull, well-crafted club, BTW. Ping definetly makes good stuff.

Agreed about them making great clubs. But regarding the club, unless it said 8* bounce on the cavity then you had the one with like 12* of bounce, or something crazy like that.

I use a Ping Tour-W 60/08 for my flop shots. I recently had Ping do a T-grind on it and it helps but I think I'm going to do a little bounce grinding as well. A well-executed flop is a thing of beauty and it's a good shot of confidence, too.

I use a Ping Tour-W 60/08 for my flop shots. I recently had Ping do a T-grind on it and it helps but I think I'm going to do a little bounce grinding as well. A well-executed flop is a thing of beauty and it's a good shot of confidence, too.

I was going to get the T-Grind on mine, but like I said it got I wore them out, so no point.

Agreed about them making great clubs. But regarding the club, unless it said 8* bounce on the cavity then you had the one with like 12* of bounce, or something crazy like that.
It doesnt say anything like that on the cavity. It says 58* on the sole and its a blue dot, but thats it. :confused2: All I know is the sole on this club is huge, its almost like its an SGI iron.
Heres a pic:

Last edited:
It doesnt say anything like that on the cavity. It says 58* on the sole and its a blue dot, but thats it. :confused2: All I know is the sole on this club is huge, its almost like its an SGI iron.
Heres a pic:

The blue dot is the lie angle, I believe 1* or 2* upright, I could check, but later. But that is definitely the high bounce club, like I said, something outrageous like 12* of bounce.

That would explain a lot then. My 60* Mizuno's bounce is 5.

So, is it a Tour, or an iWedge?

The Tour you can definitely hit a flop, I do it with my 60°

Worst case, take it to a real golf club smith, and he can grind it for you to your liking. :D

You may try this fella: http://www.ccugolf.com/

It says, "Tour" on the cavity, so Im guessing its a Tour. I could take it to a golfsmith or I could just hit my Mizunos.
I bought the club for cheap on Ebay, so its not as if Im out much and if it sells on Ebay for what I paid for it, Im not out a thing.
Thats the beauty of buying used clubs on Ebay.

I have a 60* JMax Ironwood LW that I use for flop shots, and short sand shots. Another shot I use it for is when I have an up hill lie with no green to work with, with the pin just a few feet away. :comp:

I have a ping tour 58/8 with the t grind that's good on open face shots but I think my mizuno mp 58/10 is better. Only thing that keeps them from performing better is me.If you're good both are excellent.
I don't usually use any more wedges than just a 46 and 50 wedge that are part of iron set I'm playing.Highest flop I need I can use those.

Looks like your getting alot more wear out towards the toe.

I used a wedge with 12* of bonce and never really had an issue with flopping it. Now I am using Eidolon wedges that also have a really wide sole and still no troubles. I love that many of the companies are using a "dual sole" for shots like this.

Looks like your getting alot more wear out towards the toe.
Not me, the person who owned that club before me. I just won that club on an Ebay auction and it arrived on Friday.
Any wear was definetly not done by yours truly.

I used a wedge with 12* of bonce and never really had an issue with flopping it. Now I am using Eidolon wedges that also have a really wide sole and still no troubles. I love that many of the companies are using a "dual sole" for shots like this.
Well, I'll be the first to admit that Im not expert on hitting the flop shot. Im still learning, but thus far Ive found it much easier to hit them with my Mizzies. The only real major difference I see is the bounce, but it could be a bit of a placebo effect.
I definetly have more confidence and faith in Mizuno than I do Ping, so it could be mostly in my head. :confused2:

It is very possible Bakemono. We may be doing a THP TV episode of that shot shortly.

All depends on your ground condition, up here where we play the ground is hardpacked & a lot of bounce is bad as you can't get the club under the ball properly.

Bake, if you were to try that same club in maybe a 4º version I am sure it would work fine for you.

Back