What’s The Worst Weather You Have Played In?

I think for me it was the event with Cobra Puma Golf in Chicago several years ago. I think it rained the entire time we were there from Friday arrival to Sunday arrival back home. As Forrest Gump would say we had driving rain, rain that came in sideways and rain that even seemed to come from below. Still the overall event was great and took away from the forces of nature that were brought.
You think that weather was worse than the rounds we played at Dormie Club with Danny?

Close between heat index of 120 last summer or 40mph winds in a dust storm in west Texas.
That a normal spring day sir. :ROFLMAO:

I'd say for me it was either the tournament we played when I got back from the Victory Cup in October. It was around 50-55* but a cold north wind around 15-20 and light rain. Or two rounds in January for my Bachelor Party trip where it was a high of 45* with 20-30 mph winds.

Low 40s, steady downpour with wind. Rained the entire round. I was younger.

I have not played in too much really bad weather. Some really windy days, some really hot days, and some really cold days where I couldn't get a tee in the ground. But even then I am not sure I think it was "that" bad.. oddly, really never in rain. Only a couple times in my life.

I have played in some pretty bad winds. Remember one round we had a par 3 that was maybe 160, and I hit a club that would tend to go 230 and didn't even reach the green. Needless to say that wasn't the most enjoyable round I've ever played.

Heavy rain, I can't believe they even let us out, there were large puddles in the fairways, more like ponds actually, it was crazy but we travelled to get there so had to do it. My buddy played pretty well!

You think that weather was worse than the rounds we played at Dormie Club with Danny?
You know when I saw I had a reply from you my mind went directly to Dormie. That is a tough call. Even though it rained and was cold it wasn't unbearable. I think having the comfort station twice made it much easier to want to finish the round.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
an unexpected snow squall in March. Temp dropped to about 29* (39* at tee off) wind whipped up and is snowed heavily for about 10 minutes. Luckily I had yellow balls in the bag. Put a light coating on the grass that looked almost like morning frost. Sun came back out, warmed up to 40* by the back nine.

The worst for me has been high winds. I've had my pushcart blow over, my stand bag blow over, and played in winds high enough to have the flag poles bending over considerably. I don't know why I do this to myself :ROFLMAO:

There was a round at Pacific Dunes where sideways hail was hitting us on the first tee. The hail/rain was heavy and never stopped. Temps had to be just above freezing, maybe mid 30s??? The wind was strong enough that it blew a stand bag over and the caddie had to run to retrieve it before it went over a cliff.

Coldest is 30's and damp.
Hottest is 100*+ and high humidity.
Both suck.

I try not to golf in the rain and have been lucky on the golf trips I've taken.

A few years ago while on vacation in Pensacola, I played with my uncle and cousins at the Air Force base course. It was the day after a small hurricane passed by off the coast, but it was the only chance we were going to have to play a round that week.

3-4 club wind and a stinging, sideways drizzle most of the day. First par 3 was 115 yards and I hit a 7 iron that ballooned straight up in the oncoming wind and dropped like a stone for a plugged lie about 90 yds. Highest 7 iron I've ever hit.

Mine has to be at Spyglass Hill about 15 years ago. Our 4-some consisted of 2 PGA teaching pros who were being comp'd with me and another friend paying the full fee. We have the 1st tee time of the morning at around 7:00 but it's absolutely dumping sideways rain and about 45 degrees. They don't make us tee off because it's so ugly, but at about 8:00 they tell us the forecast says it'll stop in 15 minutes so it's now or never for us to go out (since 2 people weren't paying the regular groups were going to take priority over us and the course was full that day). It's still coming down really hard so we hit about 4 putts and headed to the first tee.

Unfortunately the forecast was wrong and it kept dumping the cold sideways rain until the 8th green. It was a battle for almost 2 hours to get stay as dry and warm as possible but it was a losing battle. However by the 10th hole the sun was out and the back nine was beautiful, but I really don't remember anything about the front nine. Maybe someday I'll get back out there to get the full experience.

Had one round last year where weather forecast was ok, but we got caught in some heavy rain for maybe 4-5 holes in the middle. Had brought a rain jacket, but definitely bought some more rain gear after that round.

I'm going to have to say, for the duration of time and the amount of golf played, it was the Mizuno Experience 2021. We were in Myrtle Beach/Pawleys Island for 3 Days of golf roughly 30+ holes a day on 2 courses. Every day by tee time it was over 100 degrees and the humidity was close to that number as well. It was a steambath.

Now, I live down here now, and last year played many rounds over or close to 100 and with hi humidity and walked most of them as well, but that was 18 holes. So I don't really think about it.

I have played in cold hard - stinging rain - I hate to play in heavy rain, but it's not memorable as the steambath that was the Mizuno Experience 2021.

Southern Pines, Feb 11, 2024. Though I played well, I obviously wasn’t happy about the rain.

IMG_7253.jpeg

Snow squalls. I'm not that gut hooked and loonie anymore.

Two stand out for me. Last year in March I hadn't played in a couple months due to work and weather and signed up for a tourney. It was pouring rain and was in the 40's. It was pretty brutal.

Last summer I played an afternoon round and it was around 110. I quit after 9 on that one.

I've played in nasty weather. One round included snow, hail, rain, and wind gusts up to 50mph. Temps were in the high 30's F. Suffice it to say, it was a a death slog. At least we didn't get any lightning that day.

Pebble Beach January 16 2020. I think due to my choice language, we probably are still the only group to ever get a rain check from Pebble!
IMG_1416.jpeg

Dubai summers on the most humid days. Officially 113 F (50C) but normally more like 120, 99% humidity and walking. Needed to have several glove as the sweat soaks them. Shoes fill with sweat and squeeze out to leave wet footprints. Sweat dripping profusely down your nose and onto your hands while putting. You really value staying on grass so you don"t add dust to the mix. Cold pint was much appreciated afterward.

Remember about 26-27 years ago when there was a huge wildfire in Florida that had heavy smoke covering half the state? I was in FL for a 7 day 6 round golf vacation during that.

It was 33° out, snow rain mix and in a big scramble with 6 man teams consisting of at least one pro. They sent us out with another 6some so we could keep each others score. SEVEN hours later we finished and I swore I would never play golf again

May 8, 2020 - 37° and 20-30 mph winds at Whistling Straits. Veterans rate of $193 and we could use a push cart vs a caddy, so couldn't pass it up.

Only 1 other group played the course that day. We saw the starter and 1 worker when we walked off 18.

Great day Edit.jpeg

May 8, 2020 - 37° and 20-30 mph winds at Whistling Straits. Veterans rate of $193 and we could use a push cart vs a caddy, so couldn't pass it up.

Only 1 other group played the course that day. We saw the starter and 1 worker when we walked off 18.

Great day View attachment 9260928
I’d take that weather in a heart beat to have a course like that to myself LOL.

Back