What’s your 100 yard shot/club?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
What’s your go to from 100 yards? Full club? Partial? How do you play that shot, both club selection and shot goal?

Last few rounds it’s been a full swing 60°. Id like to get more comfortable with partial swing wedges but for now this is working. I’m just picking a spot and swinging, not trying to play it at a certain trajectory. Right now our greens are so baked out you either have to bump it up and try to roll on, or send it so high it has no choice but to stop.

• Staff
I’m working hard on 50* and 56* shots for this distance. Biggest thing right now is getting my dynamic loft down (getting rid of a scoop) and controlling the flight. From there it’s ingraining the feels.

Lot of gate and impact point work coming in for me now.

full 56... usually an easy relaxed shot and should come up nicely.

56* with a long grip to choke down anything between 100 and 40

I think it kinda depends on the hole and type of shot needed. But, its either a choked down 56deg wedge @ 70% or a smooooooooth 60deg wedge

either one is somewhat flighted

Three quarter swing with a Gap Wedge.

Just a touch off a full 54 degree wedge (full swing 105). I typically play it with a normal height trajectory and expect it to hit and stop. Unless hitting into an upslope, I very rarely back the ball up.

Full swing with a 54°. Maybe a punchy 9 iron.

Hard to say because I'm not certain where I'm at these days. At a guess I'd say my PW with a light touch? Full swing with my 54°? If I had a 50° wedge I'd probably split the difference with that.

Full pitching wedge. Almost exact

Full swing 54 is the typical club for that shot.

I think it kinda depends on the hole and type of shot needed. But, its either a choked down 56deg wedge @ 70% or a smooooooooth 60deg wedge

either one is somewhat flighted
That is a BIG lw, but that X grind makes life better with the bounce!!

3/4 54 for 100 yards. Prefer not to step on a 60 and try and get there. Brings too much trouble into play.

Most of the time it's my 61*. Three quarter swing. In pretty neutral conditions I'm aiming right for it trying to keep the peak height down and hit the landing. I might throw a dart or dead hand it in at it or to one side of the pin to avoid a bad putt or pitched green where it could spin off.

Full 50° or partial, flighted PW depending on lie, green layout and flag location

It depends on what's in front of me. My stock 100 yard carry shot when Im warmed up, in the summer, at my home course, it is my 9 i with an easy swing. I can make my 48* wedge work, but the 9i is the better choice.

Yesterday, @7,000 feet elevation, and cooler than I'm use to, it was my 7i, so there's that too.

if i'm wedging well, full'ish swing 60...if not, a 3/4'ish 54?

I’m not a fan of the 100yd shot. I have 3 options for it and I seem to always choose the incorrect one

1/2" choked up 50° GW

I've lost 15-20 yards on my irons since I retired from the Air Force in 2007🙃

Back